Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » O/T What kind of collections do you have?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: O/T What kind of collections do you have?
Joey Madden
Resident

Member # 1192

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joey Madden   Author's Homepage   Email Joey Madden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just out of the box here on what persons collect. I have numerous collections of all kinds including books, knives, guns, military and otherwise, skulls, wizards, paintings, musical instruments, lighters and toys still in the box. I have Lionel trains tucked away from when I was a child and no longer look at these as anything but wasted space although all are useful in one way or another. In my home all the furniture is wood including the floors except where slate and marble are used. heating is strictly a wood stove and I sometimes fear some of my collections or guitars which could deteriorate slightly from temperature change which can be the death of me.

What is it that you collect [Smile]

[ May 14, 2009, 04:00 PM: Message edited by: Joey Madden ]

--------------------
HotLines Joey Madden - pinstriping since 1952
'Perfection, its what I look for and what I live for'

http://members.tripod.com/Inflite
http://www.pinheadlounge.com/hotlinesjoeymadden

Posts: 5962 | From: USA | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Frank Smith
Visitor
Member # 146

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Frank Smith   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Smith   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Keys, art, art books, bottles, miscellaneous conversation pieces. You might find my Civil War sword or 2 skulls interesting. I find your One Shot collection pretty interesting.

--------------------
Frank Smith
Frank Smith Signs
Albany, NY
www.franksmithsigns.com

Posts: 807 | From: Albany, NY USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rusty Bradley
Resident

Member # 6938

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rusty Bradley   Email Rusty Bradley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
fossils...I've never bought any...just fossils I have found...500 million yr old trilobites from Death Canyon in Utah ...beautiful 300 million yr old plant and tree fossils from the coal mines around Birmingham Alabama...400 million yr old fossilized fish from the Green River formation in Wyoming...ammonites, gastropods, crinoids, and other related bachiopods from various Cambrian and Ordivician sites in Tennessee and Alabama region around 400 to 500 million years old.

[ May 14, 2009, 11:55 PM: Message edited by: Rusty Bradley ]

--------------------
Rusty Bradley
Bradley Sign Studio
100 Creekview Road
Summertown, Tn. 38483

Posts: 2179 | From: Summertown, Tennessee | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dale Manor
Resident

Member # 4858

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dale Manor   Author's Homepage   Email Dale Manor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had a collection of old cameras for a while but have sold those all off.

Mostly now I collect 1/24 and 1/64 scale Diecast race cars. Mostly of the Nascar variety. Probably only have 80 or so?

And I still have a collection of coffee mugs from my travels and wooden dynamite boxes!

I'm trying to cut back to collecting things that could perhaps be put to use. Wooden boxes maybe diecast cars, not so much!

--------------------
Dale Manor

Studio in the Sky
Minnesota

dalemanor@netscape.net

"Be who you are and say what you want, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."
-Dr. Seuss

http://studiointhesky.weebly.com/
http://studiointhesky.blogspot.com/

Posts: 2120 | From: Greater Minneapolis/St. Paul | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bobbie Rochow
Resident

Member # 3341

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bobbie Rochow   Email Bobbie Rochow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like wooden boxes too, Dale! Just bought 2 old pencil boxes at an antique mall Monday.

I also like Shenango Pottery, the pine cone pattern, but can't find it anywhere. My Grampa worked there when I was little, & when Grama died last year, my mom let me have the pieces she had.

I collect fishing lures too, when I have time to look along the shore, sometimes I give them to Jilly's boy, Justis. he is a good kid, & really cool!

--------------------
The Word in Signs
Bobbie Rochow
Jamestown, PA 16134

724-927-6471

thewordinsigns@alltel.net

Posts: 3485 | From: Jamestown, PA 16134 | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
old paint
Visitor
Member # 549

Icon 1 posted      Profile for old paint   Email old paint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i been collecting FAT)))))))))))))
and now iam shedding it!!!!!! seemed like a funny would fit good here.
ive collected many things in my years. EX-WIFES, SCARS, AND INJURIES. they dont have much monetary
value but, mean a lot to me)))))
as for collectable items, when i was a kid, i hada kerosene lamp collection. lot of old railroad lanterns. also had a CARBIDE LAMP collection. these are lights the miners used for light in the mines.
i also had a coin collection, till 1979-80 when the price of silver went thur the roof. i had $200 face value coins and got $2000.00 for it as silver value.
i hada CAR CARD COLLECTION. these was like baseball cards, but had CARS and stats and history of them on the card back. i also hada scrapbook of AUTOMOBILE ADS. was mostly from 55/56-66-68 autos, taken from mostly the newspaper and dealership flyers. all of this went up with the house fire in 1980.
since i LOST EVERYTHING I OWNED, and all the stuff my parents had collected from 1940's.
kinda hard to replace all that. i now live in my wifes childhood home. she was raised in this house from 1961 till 1969 when she got married and left town. 1998 WE MOVED INTO THIS HOUSE, after her mom passed and she bought out her 3 sisters share.
NOW.....she got STUFF!!!!!!! all the stuff from the 60's her mom had,she had, and whatever we run across when we tear open a wall)))))).
she has an EXTENSIVE LP ALBUM COLLECTION. Mostly jazz and pop of the late 50's and thru the 70's.
she has albums of people that you cant get tapes or cd's of their music.
herbie hancock, jim hall,stevie ray, les mcain, beattles.. ALL THE OLD ALBUMS...
she also has an LARGE BOTTLE COLLECTION, that we boxed up in 98, to clean out one room in the house so we could use it for something else.
bobby, if you ever get down toward UNIONTOWN PA.
there is a POTTERY there called NEW GENEVA POTTERY.
you can find them on line.
when i was in college at PENN STATE, fayette campus, the art prof and i taught pottery classes to the people of new geneva, so they could resurrect the original pottery that was there in 1890's. they do salt glaze over cobalt blue designs, on gray pottery.

[ May 14, 2009, 06:37 PM: Message edited by: old paint ]

--------------------
joe pribish-A SIGN MINT
2811 longleaf Dr.
pensacola, fl 32526
850-637-1519
BEWARE THE TRUTH.....YOU MAY NOT LIKE WHAT YOU FIND

Posts: 11582 | From: pensacola, fl. usa | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mark Matyjakowski
Visitor
Member # 294

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mark Matyjakowski   Author's Homepage   Email Mark Matyjakowski   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
when I was younger (20's) I started collecting shot glasses. Mostly from when we went on vacation (collecting for the memories), and some odd-ball ones. My father in law made me a nice wall case that holds a hundred easy. (haven't counted in a while)
Soon people would get them for me when they would go somewhere, or just because.
Had way too many, way too quick and quit collecting when the case got full.
Haven't really even looked at it in a decade.

Got a box of early 90's comics wrapped in plastic somewhere around here.

Currently...
I'm starting a collection of gray hairs.

And I really enjoy my collection of garage art... in my garage.
This is one corner.
 -
Probably 30-40 different artists.
Most of the work contains memories of good times or good people ... of which many I feel lucky to call friends.
Sitting amongst the work, cranking tunes and creating stuff is my happy place.

[ May 14, 2009, 09:14 PM: Message edited by: Mark Matyjakowski ]

--------------------
Compulsive, Neurotic, Anti-social and Paranoid ... but basically Happy

Posts: 2677 | From: Rochester, NY, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ray Rheaume
Resident

Member # 3794

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ray Rheaume   Email Ray Rheaume   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Had somewhere around 6000 comic books before I sold them off. Wasn't hard to do as I was working part time at a comic book/trading card shop for several months.
The most profitable one of the bunch...
 -

BONUS: One night, a customer came in and bought a dozen packs of the "new" 1986-87 Fleer basketball cards. After rifling through them, he started out the door, leaving the cards on the counter top. Seems he was only interested in getting a Larry Bird card and told me I could have them.
I figured...well, they ARE paid for...so I tossed them in a box and forgot about them.
A few years later I dug them out...and found THREE Michael Jordan cards. His rookie year and in mint condition.
20 years ago I got $90 a pop for them. Not too shabby a deal, but now they're worth $1000+ each.

The one/ones that got away..
May, 1984
I Saw a dozen comics on a shelf...red duo tone cover, black and white inside, goofy parody of a Frank Miller story and a cover price twice that of a color comic book. I figured it was junk and wouldn't last six months in print.
They were first printings of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles #1.
Had I bought them all at the cover price of $1.50 each ($18 all together), they would now be worth over $16,000.

Okay, maybe I wasn't the smartest collector on the block... [Bash]
Rapid

[ May 14, 2009, 09:12 PM: Message edited by: Ray Rheaume ]

--------------------
Ray Rheaume
Rapidfire Design
543 Brushwood Road
North Haverhill, NH 03774
rapidfiredesign@hotmail.com
603-787-6803

I like my paint shaken, not stirred.

Posts: 5648 | From: North Haverhill, New Hampshire | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wayne Webb
Resident

Member # 1124

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wayne Webb   Author's Homepage   Email Wayne Webb   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I still have around 300 projectile points (arrowheads), pottery shards with various designs and other precolumbian native artifacts I collected as a kid. Once I brought a skull home, that one of my college buddies found in a burial mound, and kept it on my bookshelf for about a week; my parents weren't too happy about that one. I had this crazy dream of being an archaeologist, but it doesn't interest me that much anymore. Lately it's been trophies and other memorabilia, from the years of raising our kids, and musical instruments. I have 3 guitars, a nice sound system, a recording setup, a banjo, mandolin, mountain dulcimer, harmonicas, and an African kalimba from Kenya. I would like to get some native flutes and things like that...maybe another 12-string guitar too.

[ May 14, 2009, 11:05 PM: Message edited by: Wayne Webb ]

--------------------
Wayne Webb
Webb Signworks
Chipley, FL
wayne@webbsignworks.com

Posts: 7403 | From: Chipley,Florida,United States | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sheila Ferrell
Resident

Member # 3741

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sheila Ferrell   Email Sheila Ferrell       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Joey, you have some interesting stuff!
I just started collecting unplayable off-brand guitars to sand-down and paint-up. . .I find 'em at yard-sales and such for like $3-$5! . . .
may even do something radical to my playable ones [Razz] . . . my large kitchen/living/dining room space is also not 'climate controlled' (no AC in summer - very little heat in winter, but the acoustics seem to be ok, though one must retune more frequently . . . The electric stuff can have trouble with even slight 'moisture' in the board over time, particularly the amps . . I keep my better stuff in the back part of the house which is more climate controlled . . .
guitar necks will warp sans strings, so my radical-take is - never leave one you play stringless for even an hour . . .

I also collect coloured glass, for now, it only fills one window as decoration and I love the way sunshine plays thru it . . . but in the back of my mind, I may shatter and crush all of it, and reglue it to a sheet of glass . . . or maybe I'll be able to get a glass oven and just melt it down for art use . . .
I also have 2 particular travel-memorabilia collections I want to create framed-box collages of, along with pics and such . . . may evolve into a nice little side business if I ever get too old to paint signs . . . highly unlikely [Razz]

ooooooo Wayne and Rusty!
Very interesting collections! Do y'all ever find sharks teeth too? We have a creek here full of them. I have a collection of those somewhere . . . and have helped others collect. Way fun.

I have a wonderful collection of books which have been packed away until I ever build my wall of shelves . . .I miss my books!

Mark, cool collection of panels - but, who here does'nt collect panels? . . . [Razz]

By and by I rather abhor the impracticality of collections because of the dusting and the space-clutter . . . All collections should be in some sort of sealed glass cabinet!

--------------------
Signs
Sweet Home Alabama

oneshot on chat

"Look like a girl, act like a lady, think like a man, work like a dog"

Posts: 5758 | From: "Sweet Home" Alabama | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wayne Webb
Resident

Member # 1124

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wayne Webb   Author's Homepage   Email Wayne Webb   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have a few shark teeth, my uncle found in the phosphate mine where he worked. I found one while swimming in the Chipola river; it scratched my foot, i reached down in the shallow water and picked it up. People have found thousands of shark teeth and projectile points in it too. I've also heard tell that a fossil mastodon skeleton was found somewhere in the river.

--------------------
Wayne Webb
Webb Signworks
Chipley, FL
wayne@webbsignworks.com

Posts: 7403 | From: Chipley,Florida,United States | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rick Beisiegel
Resident

Member # 3723

Icon 6 posted      Profile for Rick Beisiegel   Author's Homepage   Email Rick Beisiegel       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have a modest Hot Wheels collection. However, I only collect realistic cars modeled after actual cars. Lots of Mustangs! [Smile]

I also have a small 1:18 scale Impala collection. Don't ask me why, I just do. Been rough to add much lately. Kinda preoccupied with things like food and electricity. [Wink]

Thinking about starting a collection of good paying sign jobs [Smile]

[Cool]

[ May 15, 2009, 11:45 AM: Message edited by: Rick Beisiegel ]

--------------------
Rick Beisiegel
Vital Signs & Graphics
Since 1982
(231) 452-6225 / (231) 652-3300
www.vitalsignsandgraphics.com
www.facebook.com/VitalSignsNewaygo

""Good judgment comes from experience; and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" - Will Rogers

Posts: 3485 | From: Beautiful Newaygo, Michigan | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Michael Clanton
Resident

Member # 2419

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Michael Clanton   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Clanton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have some of the usual stuff- baseball cards from my younger days, a few autograph baseballs and such- I used to start all kinds of collections, but they would always grow way too fast and lose meaning after time- over the past several years it seems I have moved to just keeping personal stuff that has some sort of meaning to me:

some signed basketballs, photos, etc. from a few of my teams that I coached to championships...

several antique family items - my dad's wooden highchair, a working mantel clock (1926) that Mendy's grandmother got for graduation, several antique handmade pieces of furniture that Mendy's great grandfather made, a sealed glass cabinet that contains my great grandfathers vest (along with a photo of him wearing it) which is from the late 1800's, a silver Elgin railroad pocketwatch (that still works perfectly) from the late 1800's that also belonged to my great grandfather, his smoking pipe, shaving brush and his collection of pocketknives.

some archelogical items from my trip to the Roman ruins of Volubilis, and some art pieces from Morocco.

art from a few people that I admired.

--------------------
Michael Clanton
Clanton Graphics/ Blackberry 19 Studio
1933 Blackberry
Conway AR 72034
501-505-6794
clantongraphics@yahoo.com

Posts: 1736 | From: Conway Arkansas | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raymond Chapman
Resident

Member # 361

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Raymond Chapman   Author's Homepage   Email Raymond Chapman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, it didn't start out as a conscious effort, but now I have a sizeable collection of unpaid, overdue tax bills.

--------------------
Chapman Sign Studio
Temple, Texas
chapmanstudio@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 6306 | From: Temple, Texas, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
David Harding
Resident

Member # 108

Icon 1 posted      Profile for David Harding   Author's Homepage   Email David Harding   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have a large collection of unused sticks with hair on one end. I have no idea what they are for.

--------------------
David Harding
A Sign of Excellence
Carrollton, TX

Posts: 5084 | From: Carrollton, TX, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sheila Ferrell
Resident

Member # 3741

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sheila Ferrell   Email Sheila Ferrell       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Y'all! . . . [Rolling On The Floor]

--------------------
Signs
Sweet Home Alabama

oneshot on chat

"Look like a girl, act like a lady, think like a man, work like a dog"

Posts: 5758 | From: "Sweet Home" Alabama | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Santo
Visitor
Member # 411

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Santo   Email Santo   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cutlery, some old hand tools, microphones. Musical instruments.

I saw 2 different collections of switchblades over the weekend. Pretty sweet. I walked into a friends livingroom, and he had a pearl-handled switchblade laying on top of a bible. I snapped picture with my phone cam and have it as my wallpaper.

--------------------
Santo Brocato
Promotion Graphics & Letters
Spring, TX

Posts: 2501 | From: Spring, TX USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Grundy
Resident

Member # 103

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Grundy   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Grundy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
David...

quote:
I have a large collection of unused sticks with hair on one end
Now I know where all my hair is going!!!! [Rolling On The Floor] [Rolling On The Floor]

--------------------
Dave Grundy
retired in Chelem,Yucatan,Mexico/Hensall,Ontario,Canada
1-519-262-3651 Canada
011-52-1-999-102-2923 Mexico cell
1-226-785-8957 Canada/Mexico home

dave.grundy@hotmail.com

Posts: 8875 | From: Chelem, Yucatan, Mexico/Hensall, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rollie Eldred
Resident

Member # 8372

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rollie Eldred   Author's Homepage   Email Rollie Eldred       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm sure you can't tell by the photos, but I'm a "VAN" fan!!! lol I've been involved with custom Vans for well over 35 years!!! lol

-
 -
 -
 -  -
 -
 -
 -

--------------------
Rollie Eldred
Ashtabula, OH

"Making the World Beautiful...One Sign at a Time!"

Posts: 66 | From: Ashtabula, OH (Really Saybrook-on-the-lake) | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ellen Day Cutting
Visitor
Member # 5365

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ellen Day Cutting   Author's Homepage   Email Ellen Day Cutting       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Vantastic collection, Rollie!
We love vans, too!

--------------------
Ellen Day Cutting
GoldRushSigns

Posts: 77 | From: Florissant, CO | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
goddinfla
Visitor
Member # 1502

Icon 1 posted      Profile for goddinfla   Email goddinfla   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I did have a collection of McFarlane Sports Picks, mostly hockey figures. I had over 600 total. I sold most of them. I still have a collection of Tampa bay Lightning memorabilia.  -

-

-

--------------------
Dennis Goddard

Gibsonton Fl

Posts: 1050 | From: Tampa Fl USA | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sam Staffan
Resident

Member # 4552

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sam Staffan   Email Sam Staffan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Antique- Cigar Labels is my top,along with cigar bands but also have Antique Fruit Crate, Firecracker/fireworks, and Pharmaceutical labels.

Talk about some awesome art designs.

--------------------
Sam Staffan
Mackinaw Art & Sign
721 S. Nokomis St. Mackinaw City, MI
dstaffan@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 1694 | From: Mackinaw City, MI | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anne McDonald
Visitor
Member # 6842

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Anne McDonald   Email Anne McDonald       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Since age 13 I've been collecting anything I can find on Tigers, when I first started out I could only afford cheap plastic pieces and posters. These days I have a few really gorgeous cut crystal tiger ornaments, some beautiful brooches and around 2000 photographs, stickers and cards!!

All my friends know me as the Tigerlady, my licence plate on my car is TGRLDY and I have digital prints of Tigers on the car.

I'm passionate about their conservation and support WSPA and the WWF [Smile]

--------------------
Anne McDonald
17 Karnak Crescent
Russley
Christchurch 8042
New Zealand

"I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure"

Posts: 877 | From: Christchurch | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tony Vickio
Resident

Member # 2265

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tony Vickio   Author's Homepage   Email Tony Vickio   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I might have had this on a previous post. If so, ignore it!

I collect everything that is interesting to me.
Running out of room to work!
Latest addition is the AK-47!

-

--------------------
Tony Vickio
The World Famous Vickio Signs
3364 Rt.329
Watkins Glen, NY 14891
t30v@vickiosigns.com
607-535-6241
http://www.vickiosigns.com

Posts: 1063 | From: Watkins Glen, New York | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!