Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » Paint or Vinyl?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Paint or Vinyl?
Alicia B. Jennings
Resident

Member # 1272

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Alicia B. Jennings   Email Alicia B. Jennings   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So I've got this roll up door job. I'm not sure if I should use paint or vinyl.I don't want the paint to get scratched while being rolled up. On the other hand, I don't want the vinyl to get scratched while beong rolled up. Anyone out there  - in Letterville land ever do one of these doors.

--------------------
Signs by Alicia Jennings (Mudflap Girl)
Tacoma, WA
Since 1987
Have Lipstick, will travel.

Posts: 3814 | From: Tacoma, WA. U.S.A. | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Butterworth
Deceased

Member # 227

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jon Butterworth   Email Jon Butterworth   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Paint!

Done few of these doors including my own.

Besides vinyl is a bitch to apply on them [Smile]

[ May 12, 2009, 11:31 PM: Message edited by: Jon Butterworth ]

--------------------
Bushie^
aka Jon Butterworth

Executive Director
HARDLY NORMAL
SIGN COMPANY

http://www.icr.com.au/~jonsigns

Posts: 4014 | From: Toowoomba, Queensland, Australia | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alicia B. Jennings
Resident

Member # 1272

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Alicia B. Jennings   Email Alicia B. Jennings   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If I paint the door, I'm gonna be using good old paint mask. And I'll be very nice not the flood on the paint.
"Besides, vinyl is a bitch to apply on them, I don't like bitches. Unless they're purebred.

--------------------
Tacoma, WA
Since 1987

Posts: 3814 | From: Tacoma, WA. U.S.A. | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sean G. Starr
Visitor
Member # 1549

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sean G. Starr   Author's Homepage   Email Sean G. Starr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I did one of these years ago with vinyl with poor results, if I had a call to do another I would do it in paint for sure.

--------------------
Starr Studios
Denton, Texas
http://www.starrstudios.net

Posts: 214 | From: Denton, Texas | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
old paint
Visitor
Member # 549

Icon 1 posted      Profile for old paint   Email old paint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
PPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAIIIIIIIIIIIIINNNNNNNNNNNNNNNTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

--------------------
joe pribish-A SIGN MINT
2811 longleaf Dr.
pensacola, fl 32526
850-637-1519
BEWARE THE TRUTH.....YOU MAY NOT LIKE WHAT YOU FIND

Posts: 11582 | From: pensacola, fl. usa | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gregg Parkes
Resident

Member # 7710

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gregg Parkes   Author's Homepage   Email Gregg Parkes       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Paint !!!!!! Just make sure you charge more - at least half - AND be sure to stretch upwards the mask (design prior to plotting), to take into consideration the convex shape of each panel.

Get a piece of pinstripe tape, roll it down each panel, take it off then measure. Measure the door itself, the tape will be X% longer than the door. Make sure you make the plot X% larger than the door, then when folded into the crevices, it will shrink naturally back to the original artwork:

OR: Use overhead projector

OR: Place mask flat only over the most raised section of door and then fill the gaps.

Cheers

--------------------
Gregg
Sydney Signworks
(02) 9837 1198
Schofields NSW Australia

Posts: 368 | From: Schofields | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Doug Allan
Resident

Member # 2247

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Doug Allan   Author's Homepage   Email Doug Allan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
is it ok to tell them the art is atrocious?

Do people already know what REH is? ...and do they need to brand the REH part?

...how about just the "Go Moblie, Go MEDEX" part in one font... all blue, no white... & lose the Fugly house & sidewalk... and use a regular handicap chair dude... without him kicking that soccer ball...

--------------------
Doug Allan
http://www.islandsign.com

"you get what you settle for"

Posts: 8981 | From: Kahului, HI, USA | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Sherby
Resident

Member # 698

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Sherby   Email Dave Sherby   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Joe is falling asleep while typing again.

--------------------
Dave Sherby
"Sandman"
SherWood Sign & Graphic Design
Crystal Falls, MI 49920
906-875-6201
sherwoodsign@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 5397 | From: Crystal Falls, MI USA | Registered: Apr 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alicia B. Jennings
Resident

Member # 1272

Ah, Doug, yes you're right about the logo etc. I'ts kinda wierd and not very up to date. But this is in Spanaway, WA. Where most of the women are bigger than the men and also have more hair on their bodies then the men. I wish you could see all of the signs this guy has on his place of business. It's quite confusing. Plus he also has a few power chairs parked out by the sidewalk. The windows are filled with printed posters and more signs. If you drive pass the place, it looks like a hurricane dropped off all the signs from a 10 mile radius. There are times when trying to explain design and presentation is like completely speaking a foreign lanquage. Ah, I forgot to mention the van parked out front. Yes, it's a rolling billboard,,,covered with white vinyl lettering. I never asked what the REH meant. But it's on everything. I'll have to post a pic of the whole storefront after I get done.

--------------------
Tacoma, WA
Since 1987

Brad Farha
Visitor
Member # 931

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brad Farha   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Farha   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If the guy was willing to pay, I'd paint it. But I'd do it freehand, no masking. If you're determined to mask, you might as well use vinyl IMO.

--------------------
Brad Farha, owner
Farha Signs
Beckley, WV
304-252-3778

Posts: 981 | From: Beckley, WV | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carl Wood
Visitor
Member # 1223

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Carl Wood   Email Carl Wood       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wouldn't touch that with an elevan foot pole. . . not worth the hassle. . . .

--------------------
Carl Wood
Olive Branch, Ms

Posts: 1392 | From: Olive Branch,MS USA | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sean G. Starr
Visitor
Member # 1549

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sean G. Starr   Author's Homepage   Email Sean G. Starr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hahaha, your description of Spanaway is spot on. I did some signs (many moons ago) for Spanaway Speedway (are they even still around) and its a "unique" area for sure...

--------------------
Starr Studios
Denton, Texas
http://www.starrstudios.net

Posts: 214 | From: Denton, Texas | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!