Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » Need info about mounting letters

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Need info about mounting letters
Dan Sawatzky
Resident

Member # 88

Icon 10 posted      Profile for Dan Sawatzky   Author's Homepage   Email Dan Sawatzky   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We are in the process of doing three signs with cutout letters which will be mounted to poured concrete walls.

The letters are plasma cut 3/8" steel which will be allowed to oxidise to a rusty finish naturally. The letting is two feet tall and heavy! I welded 350 5" x 3/8" black steel bolts to the backside of the letters to insert into drilled holes 3" deep in the concrete retaining wall. Each letter has at least 3 mounting points - some more depending on the letter. I know to use a piece of tubing to blow out the holes from Raymond's tip here on the BB a couple of weeks ago. Thanks Raymond!

The letters are for a subdivision entrance. Its across the street from a public park and so the letters need to be really secure and permanent so they are not stolen or vandalized. Some of them are fairly close to the ground unfortunately.

My question is what type of glue would be the best to use.

The cutting, grinding and welding is done and the weatherman says tomorrow is going to be a great day to work outsided in Yarrow...

-grampa dan

[ March 24, 2009, 06:01 PM: Message edited by: Dan Sawatzky ]

--------------------
Dan Sawatzky
Imagination Corporation
Yarrow, British Columbia
dan@imaginationcorporation.com
http://www.imaginationcorporation.com

Being a grampa is one of the the most wonderful things in the world!!!

Posts: 8738 | From: Yarrow, B.C. Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bruce ward
Visitor
Member # 1289

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bruce ward   Author's Homepage   Email bruce ward   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
believe or not I have used jb weld on situations like this and unless your equipped with a crowbar they are NOT coming off east. I dont know if anyhting is "vandal proof" if someone really wants it but Im telling you i went back out there one day and tried my best to "manually" pull them off with my hands and it was a no go.

im sure there are other products out there but this was just a whim i had and i used it. i did this at a local dragstip on the preformed wall, it was only a strip of 1/4"aluminum that was supplied to me.

--------------------
You ever notice how easily accessible people are when they are requiring your services but once they get invoice you can't reach them anymore

http://www.visual-images-signs.com/#!

VISUAL IMAGES
MONTGOMERY, AL

Posts: 2033 | From: Montgomery, AL, usa | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
David Harding
Resident

Member # 108

Icon 1 posted      Profile for David Harding   Author's Homepage   Email David Harding   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don't you have something like 500 gallons of Magic Smooth on hand?

In addition to the epoxies, there are products for setting bolts in concrete that become several times as strong as the concrete.

--------------------
David Harding
A Sign of Excellence
Carrollton, TX

Posts: 5084 | From: Carrollton, TX, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan Sawatzky
Resident

Member # 88

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dan Sawatzky   Author's Homepage   Email Dan Sawatzky   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I suspect I have enough Magic Smooth to do this project on hand. [Smile] I did consider Magic Smooth and may still use it, but something that comes in a tube I could put in a caulking gun would be easier to dispense with a lot less mess!

-grampa dan

--------------------
Dan Sawatzky
Imagination Corporation
Yarrow, British Columbia
dan@imaginationcorporation.com
http://www.imaginationcorporation.com

Being a grampa is one of the the most wonderful things in the world!!!

Posts: 8738 | From: Yarrow, B.C. Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sam Staffan
Resident

Member # 4552

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sam Staffan   Email Sam Staffan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dan, there is a product(s) out there that is a hard set cement mix, used to set anchor bolts in cement porches for the railings.

My welder had left some with me a year ago to use on just such type of job. When at work tomorrow I will get the name.

He told me at the time, "make sure you know where you want it the first time" and he was right. the stuff is amazing.

Edited to say; Dan are you using core-ten for the steel? Just curious, working on a project here that is calling for it.

[ March 24, 2009, 08:11 PM: Message edited by: Sam Staffan ]

--------------------
Sam Staffan
Mackinaw Art & Sign
721 S. Nokomis St. Mackinaw City, MI
dstaffan@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 1694 | From: Mackinaw City, MI | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Darcy Baker
Visitor
Member # 8262

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Darcy Baker   Email Darcy Baker       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
you can pick up a large syringe at a feed store to inject magic smooth. just a thought.....

--------------------
Darcy Baker
Darcy's Signs
Eureka Springs. AR.

Posts: 1169 | From: Eureka Springs, AR | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Graham Prinn
Visitor
Member # 10642

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Graham Prinn   Email Graham Prinn       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
HI Dan, I bought some glue the other day that should work, sumo glue, for gluing concrete and metal as well as other things. Suppose to be better than gorilla glue. Hope that help, Oh you can get it at ace hardware stores. Graham

--------------------
Graham Prinn
43201 lougheed hwy,
deroche, B.C. Canada

Posts: 39 | From: Deroche,B.C.,Canada | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ian Stewart-Koster
Resident

Member # 3500

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ian Stewart-Koster   Author's Homepage   Email Ian Stewart-Koster   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Whatever you use needs to be so thick that it won't run out- I'd be going for a concrete/mortar type mix, I think.

I have a Ramset epoxy here, made for adhering to cement, and it'd good stuff, but it would still droop out of your holes even if thickened substantially.

Can you lie the wall down horizontally, and set the letters in, then stand it up when all's set & done, at all?

--------------------
"Stewey" on chat

"...there are no limits when you aim for perfection..." Jonathan Livingston Seagull

Posts: 7014 | From: Highgrove via Toowoomba, Queensland, Australia | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Billie DeBekker
Visitor
Member # 3848

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Billie DeBekker   Author's Homepage   Email Billie DeBekker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Simpson Makes a 2 part epoxy in a Tube with a static mixer that you put in your caulk gun. They have different curing lines.. We use the 15 minute. Works like a dream.. If you have a bunch I would get the slower setting time,

I will post a part number for you when I get to work in the morning.. you can get it at Fastenall.

--------------------
Billie DeBekker
3rd Dimension Signs
Canon City Colorado 81212
719-276-9338
bill@3dsignco.com
www.3dsignco.com

"Another Fine Graduate of the Ray Charles School of Sign Painting."

Posts: 2530 | From: Canon City, Colorado | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob Kaschak
Resident

Member # 3146

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bob Kaschak   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Kaschak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Use a large Zip Lock bag with one of the corners cut-off (small hole) to use as a "pastry" bag.

Great for injecting anything you can pour in the bag, morter, epoxy, adhesive.

Keep re-filling and injecting.

Amen to cleaning-out the holes really well. No dust.

Peace,
Bob

[ March 25, 2009, 08:27 AM: Message edited by: Bob Kaschak ]

--------------------
"The 3-4 minute mark of "Freewill" by Rush.

Bob Kaschak
Artisan Sign And Design
Peru New York

Posts: 1873 | From: Upstate NY | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Graham Parsons
Resident

Member # 1129

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Graham Parsons   Author's Homepage   Email Graham Parsons   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just a tip - to clear out the drilled holes of dust, we picked up one of those battery-powered tire inflators (Canadian Tire I think) - saves a lot of puff when there's a load of holes to clear!

--------------------
Graham Parsons
Signs 'n Such Ltd
Swift Current
Saskatchewan
Canada.
www.signsnsuch.com

"Saskatchewan - hard to pronounce, easy to draw"

Posts: 710 | From: Saskatchewan, Canada | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jonathan Harvey
Visitor
Member # 6580

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jonathan Harvey   Email Jonathan Harvey       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I use this for every dimensional lettering job except letters 2" or less. Unitex Pro-Poxy 300 FAST
(A/B). Its the same as William Debekker stated it
uses a two part epoxy that that comes wrapped together that you load into a very cool double barrel caulk gun. I suggest if you buy one go top notch to
save your fingers and also make sure you buy a couple extra mixing tube nozzles if you have a large job. You can buy this at Fastnal too.
It's made in Kansas City, MO.
Unitex Phone: 816-231-7700

--------------------
Jonathan Harvey
Harvey's Signs and Designs
214 N. Main Newton,KS 67114
316-283-2424
(no telemarketers)

Posts: 63 | From: Newton, KS | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Billie DeBekker
Visitor
Member # 3848

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Billie DeBekker   Author's Homepage   Email Billie DeBekker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
our stuff is the Acrylic-Tie Fast Pack you can use at 0 degrees or above and the nice thing is you can use a standard Caulk gun.

--------------------
Billie DeBekker
3rd Dimension Signs
Canon City Colorado 81212
719-276-9338
bill@3dsignco.com
www.3dsignco.com

"Another Fine Graduate of the Ray Charles School of Sign Painting."

Posts: 2530 | From: Canon City, Colorado | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gary Boros
Resident

Member # 8487

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gary Boros   Author's Homepage   Email Gary Boros   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Any of those quality epoxies would be good or else hydraulic cement would be the thing to use.

--------------------
Gary Boros
SIGNWORKS STUDIOS LLC
Monroe, Connecticut, USA

Posts: 264 | From: Monroe, Connecticut, USA | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!