Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » LED Lighting CSA Problems... HELP!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: LED Lighting CSA Problems... HELP!
Brian Crothers
Visitor
Member # 2888

Icon 5 posted      Profile for Brian Crothers   Author's Homepage   Email Brian Crothers   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We are in British Columbia Canada. I would like to use General Electric Power (GEPS12-60 & GEPS12-60U) supplies which support Tetra MAX and Tetra miniMAX LED Lighting Systems Class 2 wiring per NEC Article 725 (SELV) which are damp location rated. They require a IP66 rated separate enclosure.
I have built the enclosures which I am required to get CSA, CFM, CMEt,CPS,ULC or CTUV approved, according to the BC Safety Authority. An example of what we have built is here.  -

We would like to use them for a number of situations.
1) Illuminating channel letters
2) Halo lighting letters
3) Acrylic Edge Light
4) Under Counter and Cove Lighting

I sent them away to one of the approved testing facilities, and after much debate, they said the lights would fall under 2 classifications. CSA C22.2#12 Issue:1982/02/01 Ed:4 (R 2004) Portable Luminaires; General Instruction No 1-5 - CAN/CSA C22.2#207 Issue:1989/01/01 Rev:1999/01/01 Portable and Stationary Electric Signs and Displays

And therefore, I cannot have the boxes with the transformers approved “because they are not complete assemblies, the entire string of LED or sign is the complete assembly”  -

Therefore, I would have to get my entire shop approved, and pay for air-flight, car rental and meals to have a shop inspection every 6 months. As one might imagine, this is really quite expensive.

I know Sign Shops are installing LED without approved transformer boxes and without their shops being certified, but I really don’t want to be in a situation where months later the electrical Inspector issues an order for them to be all removed. That could prove extremely costly.

This is what I don’t understand; I look down the street, and the custom motor bike shops are installing 12 volt wiring, lights and LEDs with no shop approval. The 3 custom boat building places are installing 12 volt and LED lighting with no approvals. Why the heck does a sign shop have to get approvals for something that is done by other types of shops every day. In the end, it is all 12 volt, after the transformer. It is also just like a garage door opener, the customer can install it themselves, and connect the wires with the supplied plugs or a garage door place can install it. Garage doors have a 115volt power supply and LED keypads, and 12 volt sensors.

It seems to me, that I should be able to get my 12 volt power supply (which is already CSA approved) approved once it is in the box I am building, and everything after that should not have to be approved, since it is 12 volt.

I just don’t get it. Can anyone help, or know of an inspection branch in Western Canada that would approve our boxes, without the actual LED assembly having to be approved each time?

[ March 21, 2009, 05:18 PM: Message edited by: Brian Crothers ]

--------------------
Brian Crothers
CR Signs
1790 C Tamarac St.
Campbell River B.C. V9W 3M6
briancrothers@crsigns.ca

Posts: 82 | From: Campbell River B.C. Canada | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Checkers
Resident

Member # 63

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Checkers   Author's Homepage   Email Checkers   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hiya Brian,
I really don't have an answer for ya. But when I did a lot of neon beer type signs, I was told by the boss that we didn't have to comply with most codes because they were considered portable.
I guess we didn't have to worry or comply with the codes because the client could or would install, just by plugging it the sign in to an outlet. Perhaps this is how they're skirting the law?

Havin' fun,

Checkers

--------------------
a.k.a. Brian Born
www.CheckersCustom.com
Harrisburg, Pa
Work Smart, Play Hard

Posts: 3775 | From: Harrisburg, Pa. U.S.A. | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Sherby
Resident

Member # 698

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Sherby   Email Dave Sherby   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can tell you what the problem is. You have the same type of idiot law makers that we have in the States.

--------------------
Dave Sherby
"Sandman"
SherWood Sign & Graphic Design
Crystal Falls, MI 49920
906-875-6201
sherwoodsign@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 5397 | From: Crystal Falls, MI USA | Registered: Apr 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!