Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » Opinions from those who have used Extira?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Opinions from those who have used Extira?
Jay Allen
Resident

Member # 195

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jay Allen   Author's Homepage   Email Jay Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I did a search and found some varied comments on Extira here . . . I'd just like to compile a list of pro's and con's . . .

I am going to be bidding on a project where it is used as both 'half-wall' and sign on a gazebo - and will be close to a concrete pad outdoors - maybe 5" off the ground.

Any issues that should be addressed in a installation like that?

I see rounding the edges is important (as with all painted exterior signage) - and adhesion of paint is an issue.

Any other comments?

--------------------
Jay Allen
ShawCraft Sign Co.
Machesney Park, IL
jallen222@aol.com
http://www.shawcraft.com/

"The object of the superior man is truth."
-Confucius

Posts: 1285 | From: Machesney Park, IL, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ScooterX
Resident

Member # 2023

Icon 6 posted      Profile for ScooterX   Author's Homepage   Email ScooterX       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The stuff is heavy, so you need a good way to transport, offload, and install it when using it for panels. I would treat it the way you treat thick panes of glass - keep it stacked vertically, and figure your expansion into your retainer/hardware system.

--------------------
:: Scooter Marriner ::
:: Coyote Signs ::
:: Oakland, CA ::
:: still a beginner ::
::

Posts: 1356 | From: Oakland (and San Francisco) | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brad Farha
Visitor
Member # 931

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brad Farha   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Farha   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, it's very heavy and not terribly paint or adhesive friendly. The advantage is that it's typically less expensive than comparable substrates. It seems to hold up reasonably well if properly installed and coated.

--------------------
Brad Farha, owner
Farha Signs
Beckley, WV
304-252-3778

Posts: 981 | From: Beckley, WV | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sam Staffan
Resident

Member # 4552

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sam Staffan   Email Sam Staffan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Love it. Never had a problem with it failing or problems with paint yet.

As for weight some of it can be overcome by using proper ratios 3/4 mdo does not mean it has to be 3/4 extira.

Here is some good advise, http://www.extira.com/pdf/extira_signmaker_0208.pdf.

Another tip from Joe Crumley which I must say works really great,-Thanks Joe, WASH THE PANEL DOWN WITH DISH SOAP AND RINSE GOOD.

You will find a great difference in primer adhesion, it takes the film right away.

[ March 18, 2009, 07:44 PM: Message edited by: Sam Staffan ]

--------------------
Sam Staffan
Mackinaw Art & Sign
721 S. Nokomis St. Mackinaw City, MI
dstaffan@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 1694 | From: Mackinaw City, MI | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rick Beisiegel
Resident

Member # 3723

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rick Beisiegel   Author's Homepage   Email Rick Beisiegel       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Speaking from experience, I'd say that the extra prep time and material required for longevity is hardly worth the initial money saved.

I followed a proceedure outlined here to make it weather proof. I really feel as though I would have saved money if I'd just bought SignFoam to begin with.

I do feel that the finished product is a good quality. It does carve well on the router. Yes, it's heavy, but it has a great look. Just my .02

[Cool]

--------------------
Rick Beisiegel
Vital Signs & Graphics
Since 1982
(231) 452-6225 / (231) 652-3300
www.vitalsignsandgraphics.com
www.facebook.com/VitalSignsNewaygo

""Good judgment comes from experience; and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" - Will Rogers

Posts: 3485 | From: Beautiful Newaygo, Michigan | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sam Staffan
Resident

Member # 4552

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sam Staffan   Email Sam Staffan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Rick Beisiegel:
Speaking from experience, I'd say that the extra prep time and material required for longevity is hardly worth the initial money saved.

I followed a procedure outlined here to make it weather proof. I really feel as though I would have saved money if I'd just bought SignFoam to begin with.

I do feel that the finished product is a good quality. It does carve well on the router. Yes, it's heavy, but it has a great look. Just my .02

[Cool]

Their both great products in their own place. I do not see any extra time in prep to make it "waterproof"?? it already is 99% waterproof.

Again not sticking up for it just showing where it has a place.

Here are two signs the green is cast and is in for a strip down, painted and then leafed. This type of sign has hands on them all day long.

-
 -

Now imagine if that was in signfoam. How many of the small letters do you think would be missing after one summer? I will bet there would not be an i dotted anymore.

As for the Blue sign - Sandblasted Extira with silver Aqua Leaf. Every letter is as strong as can be, some cannot even tell that it is not cast.

-
 -

And for skirting out post the Extira is great!
 -

The ground moisture has not affected any that I have done to date. Just keep the weed wackers away from them. But if you cannot we wrap the bottom with metal and then paint.

--------------------
Sam Staffan
Mackinaw Art & Sign
dstaffan@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 1694 | From: Mackinaw City, MI | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dennis Raap
Resident

Member # 3632

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dennis Raap   Author's Homepage   Email Dennis Raap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sam, great ideas for the use of Extira. What do you use for primer?

--------------------
Dennis Raap
Raap Signs

Posts: 839 | From: Coopersville, MI | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sam Staffan
Resident

Member # 4552

Good morning Dennis. Ronans Prime-all

--------------------
Sam Staffan
Mackinaw Art & Sign
dstaffan@sbcglobal.net

Dennis Raap
Resident

Member # 3632

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dennis Raap   Author's Homepage   Email Dennis Raap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sam, do you use Ronans Prime-all for your HDU also? I like the idea of it being water base.

--------------------
Dennis Raap
Raap Signs

Posts: 839 | From: Coopersville, MI | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bill Lynch
Resident

Member # 3815

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bill Lynch   Email Bill Lynch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jay,
Why extira? How will you be using it? Is it going to be shaped & dimensional or just a background for graphics?
I've used it, like it, and as Sam pointed out it has great advantages in certain applications.

--------------------
Bill Lynch
Century Sign
Hamden, CT
centurysign@snet.net

Posts: 1125 | From: Hamden, CT | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Billie DeBekker
Visitor
Member # 3848

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Billie DeBekker   Author's Homepage   Email Billie DeBekker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Another trick if you want even more water proof and Paint acceptable is to take some Epoxy (West system or USG) and thin it with acetone then brush it on. Talk about rock hard.

--------------------
Billie DeBekker
3rd Dimension Signs
Canon City Colorado 81212
719-276-9338
bill@3dsignco.com
www.3dsignco.com

"Another Fine Graduate of the Ray Charles School of Sign Painting."

Posts: 2530 | From: Canon City, Colorado | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jay Allen
Resident

Member # 195

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jay Allen   Author's Homepage   Email Jay Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks, guys!! All great info . . . Bill, it's an architect's spec. Need I say more? [Wink]

Rick . . . I've used that logic before. In this case, it is used as a wall for a gazebo AND a sign - so HDU wouldn't fill the bill. Otherwise, I'd agree. There is a hump in the leak of the sign - so it isn't a recatangular sign and rules out some materials - unless you reinforced on the backside of the hump.

Sam, that's a dandy 'bronze plaque' look there on those Lake View Hotel signs . . . how long do you think those will last outdoors? Is that acrylic latex paint with silver leaf? Cost vs. a bronze plaque?

--------------------
Jay Allen
ShawCraft Sign Co.
Machesney Park, IL
jallen222@aol.com

-Confucius

Posts: 1285 | From: Machesney Park, IL, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Doug Bernhardt
Resident

Member # 1568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Doug Bernhardt   Author's Homepage   Email Doug Bernhardt       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jay...the product is fine and have used it a half dozen times in the last 5 or so years. It's brittle (edges will chip) but other than that follow the manu's instructions for finishing. Last I used it they were oil primers.

--------------------
Doug Bernhardt
Bernhardt Signs
Ottawa Ont.

Posts: 121 | From: ottawa ont. canada | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jay Allen
Resident

Member # 195

Thanks, Doug . . .

How ya' been? It's been too long, my friend . . .

--------------------
Jay Allen
ShawCraft Sign Co.
Machesney Park, IL
jallen222@aol.com

-Confucius

Joe Crumley
Visitor
Member # 2307

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joe Crumley   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Rick,

Disadvantages:
Heavy
Flaky on edges (If rounded over it performs well.)
1/2" full sheets will warp without support.
Epoxy is best adhesive
Water resistan which means latex primers are questionable.
Glue, any kind, won't penetrate very deep.

Advantages:
Once scrubed down with soap and water it can be primed with any distilate primer.

Extremely water resistant.
Carves like a dream
Routes like a dream
Not expensive

Like any substrate, it has limitations and your is very timely and smart.

Good luck on the job.

--------------------
Joe Crumley
Norman Sign Company
2200 Research Park Blvd.
Norman, OK

Posts: 1428 | From: 2200 Research Park Blvd. | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rick Beisiegel
Resident

Member # 3723

Icon 6 posted      Profile for Rick Beisiegel   Author's Homepage   Email Rick Beisiegel       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmmm

Maybe I over prepared my surfaces. As directed in a post here, I used Helmsman marine clear, followed by white oil based primer. then color layers. What a mess. Id much rather rinse and coat with Jay Cooke's primer. Lots easier [Smile]

Sam

I can see the advantage of a firmer substrate with signs like those...I've actually seen some of those in mny travels.....nice work

[Cool]

[ March 20, 2009, 11:07 PM: Message edited by: Rick Beisiegel ]

--------------------
Rick Beisiegel
Vital Signs & Graphics
Since 1982
(231) 452-6225 / (231) 652-3300
www.vitalsignsandgraphics.com
www.facebook.com/VitalSignsNewaygo

""Good judgment comes from experience; and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" - Will Rogers

Posts: 3485 | From: Beautiful Newaygo, Michigan | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Doug Bernhardt
Resident

Member # 1568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Doug Bernhardt   Author's Homepage   Email Doug Bernhardt       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jay......all is well here and very busy. Thats a good thing from what I see everywhere else....Would love to know how are things in your area, so my take...talk to the designer architect about HDU. They usually have a set of ideas that are open for better ones. It would seem Joe and Rick's advice is sound if ya gotta use it. I see no benefit except for price.

--------------------
Doug Bernhardt
Bernhardt Signs
Ottawa Ont.

Posts: 121 | From: ottawa ont. canada | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Sherby
Resident

Member # 698

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Sherby   Email Dave Sherby   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would like to try it. But try and find it. My sign suppliers have never even heard of it.

--------------------
Dave Sherby
"Sandman"
SherWood Sign & Graphic Design
Crystal Falls, MI 49920
906-875-6201
sherwoodsign@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 5397 | From: Crystal Falls, MI USA | Registered: Apr 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Richard Heller
Resident

Member # 2443

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Richard Heller   Author's Homepage   Email Richard Heller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dave I buy it at our local plywood and sheet goods/counter top supplier. Locally here it's called Distributor Service, Inc. I looked and they don't have a location in Michigan, but you have to have a Building Supplier other than the box chain stores around. Maybe look on the Extira website for distributors in your area.

--------------------
Rick Heller
Ohio Technical College
1374 E. 51st Street
Cleveland, OH 44103
IOAFS

Posts: 210 | From: Cleveland, OH | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marty Happy
Resident

Member # 302

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Marty Happy   Author's Homepage   Email Marty Happy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have used Extira for dimensional signs for at least 5 years now without a failure and love it. The main reason... several of my HDU signs were damaged by hail which is not uncommon in this area. Extira is tough enough to withstand hail.

Yes, it's extremely heavy but signs can be built in smaller pieces for easier handling. Besides weight is rarely a factor on anything with the exception of bracket hung signs.

As recommended on the Extira site I have always used oilbase primers with either oilbase or acrylic paint depending which is more suitable.

On several earlier projects I used a 2 part polyurethane encapsulant but rarely use that anymore except on complex handcarved elements made from laminated pieces of Extira to positively seal out moisture intrusion between layers.

--------------------
Happy Signing...... Marty

M.F. (Marty) Happy
Signmaker Since 1974
Happy Ad Sign & Design
Regina SK, Canada S4N 5K4
306-789-9567
happyad@sasktel.net
www.happyad.ca

Get Happy & Get Noticed!

Posts: 773 | From: Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada | Registered: Jan 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bill Lynch
Resident

Member # 3815

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bill Lynch   Email Bill Lynch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Like Rick said, it's more likely at a good lumber
yard or sheet goods dealer. We have one place here that carries it.

--------------------
Bill Lynch
Century Sign
Hamden, CT
centurysign@snet.net

Posts: 1125 | From: Hamden, CT | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!