Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » Painting logo on a RUG???

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Painting logo on a RUG???
Buren Harrelson
Visitor
Member # 9381

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Buren Harrelson   Email Buren Harrelson       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have a customer who wants to have their name on a rug. The rug is up front with traffic walking on it all day. I painted a sample on mine & it looks good for know but not sure for how long. I used my airbrush with createx paint. Will createx hold up or should I use something else like 1 Shot. How would you do it. Thanks

--------------------
Buren Harrelson
Vinyl Ink
Whiteville,NC

Posts: 162 | From: North Carolina | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Si Allen
Resident

Member # 420

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Si Allen   Email Si Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Paint isn't going to hold up very well.

Is this a rug or installed carpet?

The proper way is to make accurate patterns in reverse, flip the rug over, and with a very sharo utility knife cut out the letters. Then with a contrasting piece, flip it over and cut the letters out. Fit the cut letters into the rug and iron on reinforced carpet seaming tape.

Costs more, but is worth it.

--------------------
Si Allen #562
La Mirada, CA. USA

(714) 521-4810

si.allen on Skype

siallen@dslextreme.com

"SignPainters do It with Longer Strokes!"

Never mess with your profile while in a drunken stupor!!!

Brushasaurus on Chat

Posts: 8831 | From: La Mirada, CA, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
John Arnott
Resident

Member # 215

Icon 1 posted      Profile for John Arnott   Email John Arnott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sometimes it's just better to say no!
They do have companys that make rugs with their logo on it.

--------------------
John Arnott
El Cajon CA
619 596-9989
signgraphics1@aol.com
http://www.signgraphics1.com

Posts: 1443 | From: El Cajon CA usa | Registered: Dec 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Curt Stenz
Visitor
Member # 82

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Curt Stenz   Email Curt Stenz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
John is right, there are companies that digitally image onto rugs. I have some literature in my file somewhere. Search around on the internet, get the order, charge a design fee and double what it costs you to have someone else do it.

--------------------
Curt Stenz Graphics
700 Squirrel Lane
Marathon, WI 54448

Posts: 592 | From: Marathon, WI 54448 | Registered: Dec 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Michael Clanton
Resident

Member # 2419

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Michael Clanton   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Clanton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have airbrushed quite a few rugs and never had any trouble- I use Aqua Flow airbrush paints and they have a clear called "Top Binder" that I would just mist on the finished painting.

Createx will work as well- I'm just not a big fan of their paint- once you try Aqua Flow, it's hard to use anything else.

--------------------
Michael Clanton
Clanton Graphics/ Blackberry 19 Studio
1933 Blackberry
Conway AR 72034
501-505-6794
clantongraphics@yahoo.com

Posts: 1736 | From: Conway Arkansas | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ian Stewart-Koster
Resident

Member # 3500

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ian Stewart-Koster   Author's Homepage   Email Ian Stewart-Koster   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We have some floor mats here with pictures on them- I'd guess in a waterbased paint. They were a gift, so I don't know the shop they came from, but they have draught horse scenes on them, and are about 2'6" by 18" each.

--------------------
"Stewey" on chat

"...there are no limits when you aim for perfection..." Jonathan Livingston Seagull

Posts: 7014 | From: Highgrove via Toowoomba, Queensland, Australia | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bruce ward
Visitor
Member # 1289

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bruce ward   Author's Homepage   Email bruce ward   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
find someone on the web that offers this service like cintas and mark it up a little, I wouldnt waste time on this

--------------------
You ever notice how easily accessible people are when they are requiring your services but once they get invoice you can't reach them anymore

http://www.visual-images-signs.com/#!

VISUAL IMAGES
MONTGOMERY, AL

Posts: 2033 | From: Montgomery, AL, usa | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Checkers
Resident

Member # 63

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Checkers   Author's Homepage   Email Checkers   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hiya Buren,
I would outsource it myself. Although I've never used these companies, here are a couple of links...
http://www.logomatsinc.com/
http://www.efmi.com/

Havin' fun,

Checkers

--------------------
a.k.a. Brian Born
www.CheckersCustom.com
Harrisburg, Pa
Work Smart, Play Hard

Posts: 3775 | From: Harrisburg, Pa. U.S.A. | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kelly Thorson
Resident

Member # 2958

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kelly Thorson   Author's Homepage   Email Kelly Thorson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd say the big determining factor would be what the rug is made of. Is it synthetic or natural fibers?

--------------------
“Did you ever stop to think, and forget to start again?”
-Winnie the Pooh & A.A. Milne

Kelly Thorson
Kel-T-Grafix
801 Main St.
Holdfast, SK
S0G 2H0
ktg@sasktel.net

Posts: 5496 | From: Penzance, Saskatchewan | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tracie Johnson
Visitor
Member # 6117

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tracie Johnson   Author's Homepage   Email Tracie Johnson       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've seen the LogoMats company (that Checkers refers to) at a tradeshow in the past. They look pretty interesting and I think they have at least 3 types available. They're reasonably priced for you to make a profit as well. I would definitely check them out.

[ March 16, 2009, 10:12 PM: Message edited by: Tracie Johnson ]

--------------------
Tracie Johnson
Signovations
Ventura, California

Posts: 444 | From: Ventura, California | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Peter Loran
Visitor
Member # 7594

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Peter Loran   Author's Homepage   Email Peter Loran   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i would cut a stencil and spray the logo.airbrush it.rattle can spray paint if that's all you got.

i use a stencil material.clear overhead film,transparency film,mylar,what ever.im using pellon from www.bearair.com.i think they call it stencileez.pellon.penent felt.

or get it cut with a vinyl cutter,local sign shop.

-

draw my art on it

-

i use a framed piece of glass.and a stencil burner.from bearair.com.the glass keeps my burner from burning the desk.the frame keeps me from cutting my fingers.never run with the sizzers.

-

cuts like butter.you can use a wood burner,xacto knife.

-

tooo daaa stencil done.

-

stick it,pin it,nail it, hold it what ever to the substrate.and spray your paint of joice.you could use a rattle can of paint.you could even use a stenciling stiff brush.so many options.

-

image done and some added free hand airbrushing.i used paper,this could have been a rug.if people are walking on it do not guarantee it.offer to touch it up or do a new one for more money.good luck

i like the water based acrylic and the new water BORNE paints in a airbrush.
less toxic fumes and smells.

--------------------
peter loran
A!RBRUSH LORAN GRAPHICS
14858 rt 18
kent ny 14477
585-682-6012

Posts: 9 | From: kent ny | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!