Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » 30 years in business today ...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: 30 years in business today ...
Bill Diaz
Resident

Member # 2549

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bill Diaz   Author's Homepage   Email Bill Diaz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Today is the 30th anniversary of our business. I struck out on my own after working for a home builder -- designing homes during the winter months and painting and decorating as the homes were being built. The company I worked for had 4 partners who had decided to go their separate ways, so I took that as my queue to go on my own.

It was the 2nd business I started and we couldn't have been any poorer and had real trouble borrowing $12,000 to get started. We used Jane's teacher's retirement money as collateral and I advertised painting, decorating and house plans to start with and after a couple months added signs.

Jane stayed home to raise Ben when he was born 3 months later and the painting and decorating end of the business took off. Later I became a union business as is typical in Illinois to get larger prevailing wage jobs. We had a few employees and things went well, but in the early 80's during our first recession in business we gave up the painting and decorating and just went into signs. That was a real gamble, but it worked.

In '89 Jane joined in and bless her heart, the first thing she did was fire me from handling any money concerns. That allowed me to clear my head and accomplish work and we more or less still do it that way, although Ben and Joe have joined in now.

So we're going out for a long lunch to celebrate. I hope we can make it another 30 or so. God willing!

--------------------
Bill Diaz
Diaz Sign Art
Pontiac IL
www.diazsignart.com

Posts: 2107 | From: Pontiac, IL | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raymond Chapman
Resident

Member # 361

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Raymond Chapman   Author's Homepage   Email Raymond Chapman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Congratulations to a great family. You inspire the rest of us.

[ March 09, 2009, 09:49 AM: Message edited by: Raymond Chapman ]

--------------------
Chapman Sign Studio
Temple, Texas
chapmanstudio@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 6306 | From: Temple, Texas, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jay Allen
Resident

Member # 195

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jay Allen   Author's Homepage   Email Jay Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ditto to that Raymond . . . a family chock full o' talent.

The boys add a new dimension . . . Bill and Jane steer the ship. Well done. 5 in 100 businesses survive their first 5 years.

You beat the odds. Congrats!

--------------------
Jay Allen
ShawCraft Sign Co.
Machesney Park, IL
jallen222@aol.com
http://www.shawcraft.com/

"The object of the superior man is truth."
-Confucius

Posts: 1285 | From: Machesney Park, IL, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sam Staffan
Resident

Member # 4552

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sam Staffan   Email Sam Staffan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[Applause] Congradulations!!

Man I bet that Champagne, Lobster and Steak Dinner that Ben & Joe are going to spring for tonight is going to be Great!!!

--------------------
Sam Staffan
Mackinaw Art & Sign
721 S. Nokomis St. Mackinaw City, MI
dstaffan@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 1694 | From: Mackinaw City, MI | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Catharine C. Kennedy
Resident

Member # 4459

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Catharine C. Kennedy   Email Catharine C. Kennedy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Spectacular!!!!

--------------------
Catharine C. Kennedy
CCK Graphics
1511 Route 28
Chatham Center, NY 12184
cck1620@taconic.net
"Look at me,
Look at me, Look at me now!
I't's fun to have fun,
But you have to know how!"

Posts: 2173 | From: downtown Chatham Center, NY | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brad Farha
Visitor
Member # 931

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brad Farha   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Farha   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Congrats! I had my 26th anniversary last Tuesday. If I knew then what I did after ten years in business, I would have found another line of work. But now there's no turning back.

--------------------
Brad Farha, owner
Farha Signs
Beckley, WV
304-252-3778

Posts: 981 | From: Beckley, WV | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Taylor
Visitor
Member # 162

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Glenn Taylor   Author's Homepage   Email Glenn Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Congratulations!

--------------------
BlueDog Graphics
Wilson, NC

www.BlueDogUSA.com

Warning: A well designed sign may cause fatigue due to increased business.

Posts: 10690 | From: Wilson, NC, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bill riedel
Resident

Member # 607

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bill riedel   Author's Homepage   Email bill riedel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There should be question about the next 30 years, a good man is always busy.
Bill

--------------------
Bill Riedel
Riedel Sign Co., Inc.
15 Warren Street
Little Ferry, N.J. 07643
billsr@riedelsignco.com

Posts: 2953 | From: Little Ferry, New Jersey, USA | Registered: Feb 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
John Byrd
Visitor
Member # 825

Icon 1 posted      Profile for John Byrd   Author's Homepage   Email John Byrd   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good people last. Congratulations Bill. Hug the lady responsible for us huh?

--------------------
John Byrd
Ball Ground, Georgia
770-735-6874
http://johnbyrddesign.com
so happy I gotta sit on both my hands to keep from wavin' at everybody!

Posts: 741 | From: Ball Ground, Georgia, USA | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Neil D. Butler
Resident

Member # 661

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Neil D. Butler   Email Neil D. Butler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Congratulations Bill, Nice Story... not unlike my own.

--------------------
"Keep Positive"

SIGNS1st.
Neil Butler
Paradise, NF

Posts: 6277 | From: St. John's NF Canada | Registered: Mar 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ben Diaz
Resident

Member # 7319

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ben Diaz   Author's Homepage   Email Ben Diaz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sam Staffan:
Man I bet that Champagne, Lobster and Steak Dinner that Ben & Joe are going to spring for tonight is going to be Great!!!

What kind of wages do you think we make? More like Mac, Cheeze and Kool-Aid. I'm trying to save up for a wedding here! Don't give mom and dad any grand ideas of expensive dinners out.
[Rolling On The Floor]

--------------------
Ben Diaz
Diaz Sign Art
628 W Lincoln Ave
www.diazsignart.com < basic site
www.diazsignart.net < flash site
muralmuseum.com < International Walldog Mural & Sign Art Museum

Posts: 316 | From: Pontiac Il | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tom & Kathy Durham
Resident

Member # 776

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tom & Kathy Durham   Email Tom & Kathy Durham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think the proof in a successful business is work hard and keep a positive attitude. You guys have it, keep it up! Congrats

--------------------
Tom & Kathy Durham
House Springs, MO

Posts: 654 | From: House Springs, MO | Registered: Apr 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan Beach
Visitor
Member # 9850

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dan Beach   Email Dan Beach       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Congrats.

May you have 30 more years . . .

--------------------
Dan Beach
Cylinder 9 Designs
1650 Glassboro Rd
Sewell, NJ 08080

Posts: 625 | From: South Jersey | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Graham Prinn
Visitor
Member # 10642

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Graham Prinn   Email Graham Prinn       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Congrats on the many years of service.Wow 30 yrs, did you ever think you would be doing this for that long.If you don't mind me asking but what would your one biggest piece of advice be for some one just starting, Sorry for asking at this time with all the celebrating going on and all but one need's to ask when one can right lol. Graham

--------------------
Graham Prinn
43201 lougheed hwy,
deroche, B.C. Canada

Posts: 39 | From: Deroche,B.C.,Canada | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mark Smith

Member # 298

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mark Smith   Author's Homepage   Email Mark Smith   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Congratulations, Bill!

--------------------
Best Regards,
Mark Smith
EstiMate Sign Pricing Software
It's Not Luck. It's EstiMate.™
http://www.EstiMateSoftware.com
1-888-304-3300

Posts: 724 | From: Asheville, NC, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan Sawatzky
Resident

Member # 88

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dan Sawatzky   Author's Homepage   Email Dan Sawatzky   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Congratulations to the Diaz clan!!! I look forward to being there in June and spending time with you all!!!

-grampa dan

--------------------
Dan Sawatzky
Imagination Corporation
Yarrow, British Columbia
dan@imaginationcorporation.com
http://www.imaginationcorporation.com

Being a grampa is one of the the most wonderful things in the world!!!

Posts: 8738 | From: Yarrow, B.C. Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike O'Neill
Resident

Member # 470

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike O'Neill   Author's Homepage   Email Mike O'Neill   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[Smile] 15 down ... 15 to go...

--------------------
Mike O'Neill

It has yet to be proven that intelligence has any survival value.
- Arthur C. Clarke

mike@copyshop.ca

Posts: 3094 | From: Labrador City, NF, Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dale Feicke
Resident

Member # 767

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dale Feicke   Email Dale Feicke   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ROOKIES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! [Rolling On The Floor] [Rolling On The Floor] [Rolling On The Floor]

Best of everything to ya!!!!!!!!

....enjoy the lobster!!!!!!!!

--------------------
Dale Feicke Grafix
714 East St.
Mendenhall, MS 39114

"I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me."

Posts: 2963 | From: Mendenhall, MS | Registered: Apr 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Si Allen
Resident

Member # 420

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Si Allen   Email Si Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Congrats kidz! yer catching up to me!

Graham ... think, will you will enjoy doing signs 42 years from now? If so....go for it!

--------------------
Si Allen #562
La Mirada, CA. USA

(714) 521-4810

si.allen on Skype

siallen@dslextreme.com

"SignPainters do It with Longer Strokes!"

Never mess with your profile while in a drunken stupor!!!

Brushasaurus on Chat

Posts: 8827 | From: La Mirada, CA, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Duncan Wilkie
Resident

Member # 132

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Duncan Wilkie   Author's Homepage   Email Duncan Wilkie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Awesome Bill et al!!!

--------------------
Duncan Wilkie
aka signdog
http://www.comsign.ca
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

Posts: 4350 | From: Edmonton, Alberta, Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FranCisco Vargas
Deceased

Member # 145

Icon 1 posted      Profile for FranCisco Vargas   Author's Homepage   Email FranCisco Vargas   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That is so cool Bill Congratulations, we will have to have a cold one on that subject...

--------------------
aka:Cisco the "Traveling Millennium Sign Artist"
http://www.franciscovargas.com
Fresno, CA 93703
559 252-0935
"to live life, is to love life, a sign of no life, is a sign of no love"...Cisco 12'98

Posts: 3576 | From: Fresno, Ca, the great USA | Registered: Dec 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bernie Lohmeyer
Visitor
Member # 2076

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bernie Lohmeyer   Email Bernie Lohmeyer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
yes sireeeeeeee.....Thats Awesome.....Yes like Cisco says will all have a toast too ya.....here here........ See ya soon.........

--------------------
Bernie Lohmeyer
Bernman Graphics
Osage City, KS

Posts: 268 | From: Osage City,Kansas U.S.A. | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dale Manor
Resident

Member # 4858

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dale Manor   Author's Homepage   Email Dale Manor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Congrats to the whole Diaz gang....and Kudus to Jane for keeping a lid on things down that way;-)

I think everyone on the board should register for the Chief City Runs with the Dogs mural event this June and Congratulate the Diaz gang in person!

I know I am really looking forward to coming down and hanging out with you guys this June. It will be one to remember into the twilight years.

Thanks for all that you guys do!

--------------------
Dale Manor

Studio in the Sky
Minnesota

dalemanor@netscape.net

"Be who you are and say what you want, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."
-Dr. Seuss

http://studiointhesky.weebly.com/
http://studiointhesky.blogspot.com/

Posts: 2120 | From: Greater Minneapolis/St. Paul | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carole Bersin
Visitor
Member # 5710

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Carole Bersin   Author's Homepage   Email Carole Bersin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Congratulations Diaz's!!

--------------------
Carole Bersin
Carole Bersin Painting
3527 24th Av S, Minneapolis, Mn 55406
cbersin@visi.com

Posts: 211 | From: Minneapolis, Mn USA | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Doug Allan
Resident

Member # 2247

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Doug Allan   Author's Homepage   Email Doug Allan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
good going you guys, glad to hear of such a great milestone!

--------------------
Doug Allan
http://www.islandsign.com

"you get what you settle for"

Posts: 8981 | From: Kahului, HI, USA | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Janette Balogh
Resident

Member # 192

Icon 16 posted      Profile for Janette Balogh   Author's Homepage   Email Janette Balogh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Congrats on all your accomplishments. A wonderful life partnership, and great family, and a talented successful and ever growing business.

All this with a zest for life, and a great sense of humour.

Teamwork at it's finest!
You do inspire so many of us!
~nettie

[ March 10, 2009, 07:12 AM: Message edited by: Janette Balogh ]

--------------------
"When Love and Skill Work Together ... Expect a Masterpiece"

Janette Balogh
Creative Studio

janette@janettebalogh.com
www.janettebalogh.com

Posts: 5092 | From: Florida | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Don Hulsey
Resident

Member # 128

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Don Hulsey   Email Don Hulsey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Congratulations 9-iron and family!!!

Can't wait to get up there and help you celebrate.

Any chance we can find a houseboat and play some goof???

--------------------
Don Hulsey
Strokes by DON signs
Utica, KY
270-275-9552
sbdsigns@aol.com

I've always been crazy... but it's kept me from going insane.

Posts: 2274 | From: Utica, KY U.S.A. | Registered: Jan 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bill Diaz
Resident

Member # 2549

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bill Diaz   Author's Homepage   Email Bill Diaz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you all for the great words and for you,
Graham, if your just starting out, let me say you've chosen a good line of work.

I think any advice to you would be:

1. Be in the right market
(if there's 902 sign shops in a town of 2,000 -- expect little work)

2. Do right by your customers. If things go wrong (and they will) -- make them right. Make things easy for them to understand. If you can't reasonably do their work -- point them in the right direction. You never know they may come back at a later date and hand you a blockbuster project.

3. Meet your deadlines (be honest and don't promise what you can't deliver.)

4. Give value (don't cut corners to make a profit.) If you lose money on a job you're not alone. We all do, so what! Cutting corners will come back to bite you.

5. Don't run down your competition. Be helpful to your competition. Each time you're helpful you will get help in return.

6. Work long and hard. If you enjoy the work this will be very easy. But when it's time to take time off, do it to help keep your head and heart in good shape. Enjoy life!

7. Pay your bills on time and keep good records and get all necessary insurances. Surround yourself with a good accountant, lawyer and insurance agency.

8. Be civic minded and get involved in community minded interests that are worthy. Join a church if you're not already a member. Sponsor a sports team, become a coach, visit a nursing home and do whatever it takes to keep your name out there without being overly boastful about it all.

9. Know when to get out. Hey, you've got to have some luck, but if for some reason things don't work out, you owe it to yourself and your family to do something else.

10. Honor the profession and become a cheerleader for it by attending letterhead and walldog events when you can. Go visit the area shops and become friends with them if they're willing. At times they can be helpful in completing a project that you may not have the resources to do yourself.

--------------------
Bill Diaz
Diaz Sign Art
Pontiac IL
www.diazsignart.com

Posts: 2107 | From: Pontiac, IL | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Graham Prinn
Visitor
Member # 10642

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Graham Prinn   Email Graham Prinn       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you Mr Diaz for your time and sound advice, I copied and printed it out and will be hanging it in the work shop to remind me of what it takes.

Mr Si Allen I,m sure ill be still enjoying this career for some time,42 yrs no, ill be to dam old lol, Graham

--------------------
Graham Prinn
43201 lougheed hwy,
deroche, B.C. Canada

Posts: 39 | From: Deroche,B.C.,Canada | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joseph Diaz
Resident

Member # 5913

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joseph Diaz   Author's Homepage   Email Joseph Diaz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -
Yesterday we also finished our new sign. I posted an article about it on our wordpress site:
http://diazmedia.net/?p=55
(warning the site isn't finished yet, but the article is ready to go)

--------------------
Joe Diaz
Diaz Sign Art
628 W. Lincoln Ave.
Pontiac, IL 61764
www.diazsignart.com

Posts: 538 | From: Pontiac, IL | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tom & Kathy Durham
Resident

Member # 776

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tom & Kathy Durham   Email Tom & Kathy Durham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great looking sign! Can't wait to get up there and touch it, maybe we will get inspired to do another sign for our shop.

--------------------
Tom & Kathy Durham
House Springs, MO

Posts: 654 | From: House Springs, MO | Registered: Apr 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Barb. Shortreed

Member # 1730

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Barb. Shortreed   Email Barb. Shortreed   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Congratulations [Applause]

--------------------
Barb Shortreed
144 Hill St. E.
Fergus, Ontario

Posts: 2375 | From: Fergus, Ont. | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kent Smith
Resident

Member # 251

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kent Smith   Author's Homepage   Email Kent Smith   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Congratulations to a great example of success in family business. Keep it up.

--------------------
Kent Smith
Smith Sign Studio
P.O.Box 2385,
Estes Park, CO 80517-2385
kent@smithsignstudio.com

Posts: 1025 | From: Estes Park, CO | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan Kearfott
Visitor
Member # 3756

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dan Kearfott   Email Dan Kearfott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey! Ol' Buddy
C O N G R A T U L A T I O N S !!!!!!!!!

30 YRS seems like a long time, but goes by in the blink of an eye. You've got to do a few things right to stay in business that long. In your case you've done a lot of things right. Never heard anybody say anything bad about the Ol' one man shop! (guess you can't use that phrase anymore eh?)

I had a whole bunch of cool & funny stuff written about you but my computer rebooted itself and lost it all before I could post it and I'm too tired to re-do it tonight.

So I'll just wish you and the family all the best for the next 30 yrs. and I'll buy the Lobster for that one! ;-)

--------------------
Dan E. Kearfott
KEARFOTT GRAPHIX
312 W. 8th St.
Gibson City, IL 60936

Success comes in "Cans", Failure comes in "Cant's"

Posts: 121 | From: Gibson City, Illinois | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Sherby
Resident

Member # 698

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Sherby   Email Dave Sherby   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Congrats to the whole Diaz family. Sure glad I had a chance to meet Jane & Bill at the Muster. Wonderful people. Success can't help but come to people like them.

--------------------
Dave Sherby
"Sandman"
SherWood Sign & Graphic Design
Crystal Falls, MI 49920
906-875-6201
sherwoodsign@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 5396 | From: Crystal Falls, MI USA | Registered: Apr 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!