Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » Math

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Math
Neil D. Butler
Resident

Member # 661

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Neil D. Butler   Email Neil D. Butler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Three guys go into a pub, have a few pints and are ready to leave and pay their tab. The waiter brings them a bill for exactly $30.00. Each guy gives him a ten dollar bill, and they leave.
When the waiter hands the $30.00 to the bartender, he is told a mistake was made. The bill was only $25.00, not $30.00. The bartender gives the waiter five loonies and tells him to take it back to the 3 guys.
On their way out of the pub, the waiter has a thought... these guys did not give him a tip. He figures that since there is no way to split $5.00 evenly three ways anyhow, he will keep two dollars for himself and give them back three bucks.
OK! So far so good!
He taps one of the guys on the shoulder and explains about a mix up in the bill, and hands the guy the three bucks, then departs with his two-dollar tip in his pocket.
Now the fun begins!
Remember $30-$25=$5 Right? $5-$3=$2 Right?
So what's the problem?
All is well, right?
Not quite… Answer this:
Each of the three guys originally gave $10.00 each.
They each got back $1.00 in change.
That means they paid $9.00 each, which times three is $27.00.
The waiter kept $2.00 for a tip.
$27.00 plus $2.00 equals $29.00.
Where the heck is the other dollar??????????

--------------------
"Keep Positive"

SIGNS1st.
Neil Butler
Paradise, NF

Posts: 6277 | From: St. John's NF Canada | Registered: Mar 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raymond Chapman
Resident

Member # 361

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Raymond Chapman   Author's Homepage   Email Raymond Chapman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why do you want to do that to us on a Monday morning?

--------------------
Chapman Sign Studio
Temple, Texas
chapmanstudio@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 6306 | From: Temple, Texas, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sam Staffan
Resident

Member # 4552

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sam Staffan   Email Sam Staffan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Neil, That is the question our Government is trying to resolve right now!
[I Don t Know]
[Rolling On The Floor] [Rolling On The Floor] [Rolling On The Floor]

--------------------
Sam Staffan
Mackinaw Art & Sign
721 S. Nokomis St. Mackinaw City, MI
dstaffan@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 1694 | From: Mackinaw City, MI | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
David Thompson
Visitor
Member # 2395

Icon 1 posted      Profile for David Thompson   Author's Homepage   Email David Thompson       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Each guy actually paid $9.666666666666666666666666

I think

--------------------
David Thompson
Pro-Line Graphics
Martinsville, NJ

I'm not this dumb, it's just the paint fumes talkin'

Posts: 396 | From: Martinsville, NJ | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike Faig
Visitor
Member # 6104

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike Faig   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Faig   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Let's ask Bernie Madoff. Better yet, let's go to the penthouse for a weekend at Bernie's.

--------------------
Mike
gatlinburg Sign Crafters

Posts: 1051 | From: Gatlinburg, TN | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Graham Prinn
Visitor
Member # 10642

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Graham Prinn   Email Graham Prinn       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They each paid $9.333333333333333 but what happened to the .0000000001 cent lol

--------------------
Graham Prinn
43201 lougheed hwy,
deroche, B.C. Canada

Posts: 39 | From: Deroche,B.C.,Canada | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ben Diaz
Resident

Member # 7319

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ben Diaz   Author's Homepage   Email Ben Diaz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This reminds me of the one time in math class that the teacher taught us that .9999999 and 1 are the same number. Blew my mind.

--------------------
Ben Diaz
Diaz Sign Art
628 W Lincoln Ave
www.diazsignart.com < basic site
www.diazsignart.net < flash site
muralmuseum.com < International Walldog Mural & Sign Art Museum

Posts: 316 | From: Pontiac Il | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joe Cieslowski
Resident

Member # 2429

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joe Cieslowski   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Cieslowski   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What dollar???????

Bartender kept $25 of the $30. Waiter kept $2 and gave the guys $3.

$25 + $2 + $3 = $30

[Smile]

Joe,

Makin Chips and havin Fun!

--------------------
Joe Cieslowski
Connecticut Woodcarvers Gallery
P.O.Box 368
East Canaan CT 06024
jcieslowski@snet.net
860-824-0883

Posts: 2345 | From: East Canaan CT 06024 | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
George Perkins
Resident

Member # 156

Icon 1 posted      Profile for George Perkins   Author's Homepage   Email George Perkins   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sounds like an Abbot and Costello routine [Smile]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rLprXHbn19I

Each of the three guys originally gave $10.00 each. .........True

They each got back $1.00 in change. ... True

That means they paid $9.00 each, which times three is $27.00. ... False...that means they got $1 each in change. They each still paid $10 10x3=30

The waiter kept $2.00 for a tip..... True....that $2 and the three guys $1 adds up to five dollars.
$27.00 plus $2.00 equals $29.00

Try this one

I have two coins in my pocket. They total up to be 55 cents. One of the coins is NOT a nickel. What are the two coins?

I'll tell you the pitchers name....tomorrow.

[ March 09, 2009, 06:27 PM: Message edited by: George Perkins ]

--------------------
George Perkins
Millington,TN.
goatwell@bigriver.net

"I started out with nothing and still have most of it left"

www.perkinsartworks.com

Posts: 4320 | From: Millington, TN. USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Michael Boone
Deceased

Member # 308

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Michael Boone     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
one is a 50 cent piece...
the OTHER one is a nickel

--------------------
Michael Boone
Sign Painter
5828 Buerman Rd.Sodus,NY 14551

Posts: 3223 | From: Sodus,NY,USA | Registered: Dec 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Jantz
Resident

Member # 6137

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jon Jantz   Author's Homepage   Email Jon Jantz       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That riddle is just tricky because it mis-states the real way the thing worked. There's no point in adding the $27 the men paid to the $2 dollar tip the waitor kept.... you would SUBTRACT the $2 dollar tip from the $27 dollars... which would leave $25, which is what the hotel manager has....

So, again... they each paid $9 each which equals $27. Take away the $2 the waitor kept and you have the $25 the manager has...

It's a very good riddle though and I always have to think it through.... it makes you think you are trying to get $30 out of the $27 and $2 amount, when really you are trying to get *$25* out of it...

--------------------
Jon Jantz
Snappysign.com
jjantz21@gmail.com
http://www.allcw.com

Posts: 3395 | From: Atmore, AL | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carl Wood
Visitor
Member # 1223

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Carl Wood   Email Carl Wood       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
good answer Jon. . . .it is a perturbing riddle. . .

--------------------
Carl Wood
Olive Branch, Ms

Posts: 1392 | From: Olive Branch,MS USA | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Doug Allan
Resident

Member # 2247

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Doug Allan   Author's Homepage   Email Doug Allan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
I need to borrow 2 dollars, but I only need one now, so you can owe me the other, & I'll owe you this one... which make us even
-remembered from a bazooka bubble gum comic 45 years ago

--------------------
Doug Allan
http://www.islandsign.com

"you get what you settle for"

Posts: 8981 | From: Kahului, HI, USA | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Neil D. Butler
Resident

Member # 661

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Neil D. Butler   Email Neil D. Butler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You Guys crack me up! Good One Doug. I believe it's called Arithmetic Progression.... it has to be in the Right order...But enough to drve you nuts..That's why I did'nt do well with Algebra, Geometry I was a Cracker Jack... Algerbra.. I tore my books apart.

--------------------
"Keep Positive"

SIGNS1st.
Neil Butler
Paradise, NF

Posts: 6277 | From: St. John's NF Canada | Registered: Mar 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ian Stewart-Koster
Resident

Member # 3500

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ian Stewart-Koster   Author's Homepage   Email Ian Stewart-Koster   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yep, each bloke paid $9, x 3 = $27.
Take away the $2 the waiter kept, = $25 the barman kept.

The $30 is not part of the argument at all after they got their $1 each returned.

--------------------
"Stewey" on chat

"...there are no limits when you aim for perfection..." Jonathan Livingston Seagull

Posts: 7014 | From: Highgrove via Toowoomba, Queensland, Australia | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jack wills
Resident

Member # 521

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jack wills   Email jack wills   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dog ate my homework.

--------------------
Jack Wills
Studio Design Works
1465 E.Hidalgo Circle
Nye Beach / Newport, OR

Posts: 2914 | From: Rocklin, CA. USA | Registered: Dec 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
David Harding
Resident

Member # 108

Icon 1 posted      Profile for David Harding   Author's Homepage   Email David Harding   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Genetic engineering homework ate my dog.

--------------------
David Harding
A Sign of Excellence
Carrollton, TX

Posts: 5084 | From: Carrollton, TX, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!