Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » Retro sidewalk sign - Yarrow style

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Retro sidewalk sign - Yarrow style
Dan Sawatzky
Resident

Member # 88

Icon 10 posted      Profile for Dan Sawatzky   Author's Homepage   Email Dan Sawatzky   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've never been a big fan of the traditional sidewalk signs. Almost every one I've seen quickly looks tattered and beat because the wind blows them down.

Through the years I've built a few, always different than the norm. Now it is time to design one for our selves with the upcoming Yarrow Studio Tours. I was looking for a design that was colorful and eye catching. I wanted to incorporate a planter so the flowers would add a splash of color. The sign had to be changeable so we could use it in other events and venues. And it had to be portable. All in all it was a tall order.

Kelly's post a couple of weeks ago about the fake dream client wanting a retro automotive sign got me to thinking... and the idea seemed perfect for our sidewalk sign needs...

I dug through our storage area... and that of my neighbor (with Gord's kind permission) and came up with four wheels and tires. They determined the scale of the project. The 'sign' is five feet long, five feet tall (overall) and 28" wide so it can roll though any door. The rear wheels roll easily and the front ones are fixed in place. A long handle inserts into the crank hole in the front of the grill so I can easily wheel it away from the road when I don't need it there.

-

The frame and structure is now completely welded... and ready for sculpting in the next days with Magic Sculpt. We'll whittle the retro styled sign from multiple layers of Precision Board.

Stay tuned for progress in Yarrow...

-grampa dan

[ March 08, 2009, 08:56 PM: Message edited by: Dan Sawatzky ]

--------------------
Dan Sawatzky
Imagination Corporation
Yarrow, British Columbia
dan@imaginationcorporation.com
http://www.imaginationcorporation.com

Being a grampa is one of the the most wonderful things in the world!!!

Posts: 8738 | From: Yarrow, B.C. Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Lovelady
Resident

Member # 2540

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chris Lovelady   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
great sketching Dan. i surly look forward to seeing your work...there is a fellow here in Tallahassee that is looking forward to getting a router and shared you work in Sign craft and he was blown away!

Lovelady

--------------------
"We have been making house calls since 1992"

Chris Lovelady
Vital Signs

NOW WITH 2 LOCATIONS!
Tallahassee, Florida
Thomasville, Ga.

www.vitalsignsllc.com
1-850-893-0674

Posts: 707 | From: Tallahassee, Florida | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joey Madden
Resident

Member # 1192

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joey Madden   Author's Homepage   Email Joey Madden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes Dan, you're the George Barris of the sign world, always impressive [Smile]

--------------------
HotLines Joey Madden - pinstriping since 1952
'Perfection, its what I look for and what I live for'

http://members.tripod.com/Inflite
http://www.pinheadlounge.com/hotlinesjoeymadden

Posts: 5962 | From: USA | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Duncan Wilkie
Resident

Member # 132

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Duncan Wilkie   Author's Homepage   Email Duncan Wilkie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You'd better lock it down so it doesn't wander off when y'r not look'n. Can't wait to see it Dan!

--------------------
Duncan Wilkie
aka signdog
http://www.comsign.ca
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

Posts: 4351 | From: Edmonton, Alberta, Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Donna in BC
Resident

Member # 130

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Donna in BC   Author's Homepage   Email Donna in BC   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Looks fab! But you forgot the plow up front. This IS snowy Yarrow after all. [Smile]

--------------------
Donna Williams
Funky Junk Interiors
Yarrow, BC Canada
donna@funkyjunkinteriors.net

~ Check out the newest junk at ~ http://funkyjunkinteriors.net/

Posts: 5630 | From: Yarrow, BC Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan Sawatzky
Resident

Member # 88

Icon 10 posted      Profile for Dan Sawatzky   Author's Homepage   Email Dan Sawatzky   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There's NO snow on our side of the street Donna! You must be remembering the PAST winter.... NOW its spring! [Smile] Our tulips are up... only a couple more weeks until we see the green leaves on the trees again!!!!

It will be chained up when its out by the road Duncan... this would be a tempting target for sure.

Hot rodding in Yarrow...

-grampa dan

[ March 09, 2009, 03:00 AM: Message edited by: Dan Sawatzky ]

--------------------
Dan Sawatzky
Imagination Corporation
Yarrow, British Columbia

Posts: 8738 | From: Yarrow, B.C. Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
John Byrd
Visitor
Member # 825

Icon 1 posted      Profile for John Byrd   Author's Homepage   Email John Byrd   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
THAT is a great idea.

--------------------
John Byrd
Ball Ground, Georgia
770-735-6874
http://johnbyrddesign.com
so happy I gotta sit on both my hands to keep from wavin' at everybody!

Posts: 741 | From: Ball Ground, Georgia, USA | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Donald Miner
Visitor
Member # 6472

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Donald Miner   Email Donald Miner       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey, Dan, have you got room in there for a Don Garlits blown Chrysler Hemi? might save you a lot of lugging and tugging to move it around! Looks neat! Don

--------------------
Donald Miner
ABCO Wholesale Neon
1168 Red Hill Creek
Dobson, NC

Posts: 842 | From: North Carolina | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan Beach
Visitor
Member # 9850

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dan Beach   Email Dan Beach       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That thing would be super cool if you went "Big Daddy" style . . .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oi9ae9y6yg0

--------------------
Dan Beach
Cylinder 9 Designs
1650 Glassboro Rd
Sewell, NJ 08080

Posts: 625 | From: South Jersey | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Donna in BC
Resident

Member # 130

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Donna in BC   Author's Homepage   Email Donna in BC   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Update Monday March 9 2009, location, Yarrow

How do those words taste this fine blizzardy AM there, you coatless wonder you? You know where those flowers go? I'd revamp that into a mini greenhouse so those flowers don't freeze...

--------------------
Donna Williams
Funky Junk Interiors
Yarrow, BC Canada
donna@funkyjunkinteriors.net

~ Check out the newest junk at ~ http://funkyjunkinteriors.net/

Posts: 5630 | From: Yarrow, BC Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan Sawatzky
Resident

Member # 88

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dan Sawatzky   Author's Homepage   Email Dan Sawatzky   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When I stepped off the porch this morning I was mildly disappointed with the weather... to say the least. I hooked up the trailer (sans winter coat of course) and took a journey on slippery roads to my steel fab guy. It was scary stuff!

I'm REALLY ready for spring now.... and I hear its coming this afternoon at long last!

Hopefully the snow is DONE in Yarrow...

-grampa dan

--------------------
Dan Sawatzky
Imagination Corporation
Yarrow, British Columbia

Rene Giroux
Resident

Member # 4980

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rene Giroux   Author's Homepage   Email Rene Giroux   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cool stuff Dan, can't wait to see the finished result!

[Cool]

--------------------
Rene Giroux
Perfexion.ca
Gatineau, QC.

www.renegiroux.com

I'd rather regret things I did than things I didn't do!

Posts: 1875 | From: Gatineau, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Graham Prinn
Visitor
Member # 10642

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Graham Prinn   Email Graham Prinn       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's a pretty nice looking sandwich board thingameboper thing lol. Huh studio tour hey well guess ill have something to do that day then, when is happening? I haven't done one of those in years. I used to be in the mission studio tour when I was doing intarsia.
So tell me Dan,are you allowed to have a sandwich board in Yarrow. I know in Langley your not, or you need a license or something like that.
Oh look the sun is out, be there at yarrow in a few mins lol. Graham

--------------------
Graham Prinn
43201 lougheed hwy,
deroche, B.C. Canada

Posts: 39 | From: Deroche,B.C.,Canada | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!