Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » New to forum,Hi

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: New to forum,Hi
Graham Prinn
Visitor
Member # 10642

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Graham Prinn   Email Graham Prinn       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi folks, thought I'd introduce my self, not sure if this it the right place to do so, so if its not please move to the right place if you like.
Ok I'm out in B.C Canada, not too far from Dan Sawatzky , like half hr or so away, hoping to attend his work shop in oct.
I'm very new to the sign business, to tell the truth I haven't even started, just something I really would like to do, but more of the 3d sign's than any thing, I have no name as of yet for the business, think that's the hard part.I have the logo in my head at the moment. It'll be a 3 part logo,I'll show you when its done. I'm really into cnc stuff, built a small one for now and will build a larger as I progress. I also do intarsia which I hope to incorporate into some of the indoor sign's I'll do.I have a partner that will be doing the painting, Any way I have 1 question. How does one charge for designing a sign? do you do it by the hr or a flat rate.
Hope i did not ramble to much, I tend to do that at times. Love to here from all of you and look forward to meeting some of you some were down the road. Graham

--------------------
Graham Prinn
43201 lougheed hwy,
deroche, B.C. Canada

Posts: 39 | From: Deroche,B.C.,Canada | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Jantz
Resident

Member # 6137

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jon Jantz   Author's Homepage   Email Jon Jantz       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome to the neighborhood, Graham... if you are only 30 minutes away from Dan, you can probably receive some of his enthusiasm from there.... any closer you might need radiation gear...... [Wink]

Seriously, I've not been to one, but I believe attending one of Dan's workshops would get you fired off like a rocket in the right direction...

Good luck in your endeavors.

--------------------
Jon Jantz
Snappysign.com
jjantz21@gmail.com
http://www.allcw.com

Posts: 3395 | From: Atmore, AL | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dale Feicke
Resident

Member # 767

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dale Feicke   Email Dale Feicke   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome Graham,
I expect that being that close to Dan, you would be able to get about whatever advice and inspiration from him, possibly more than you can handle.

I imagine you'll get a bunch of responses to your post. I think we have those who charge a flat rate and those who charge hourly for artwork. Both concepts have merit, depending on the job.

Myself, most of my work is smaller in nature; so I usually charge a set fee to cover my time...in the $50 - 75 range. Projects like Dan gets into at times require many more hours of work and design, and rightfully deserve more charge.

--------------------
Dale Feicke Grafix
714 East St.
Mendenhall, MS 39114

"I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me."

Posts: 2963 | From: Mendenhall, MS | Registered: Apr 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rick Sacks
Resident

Member # 379

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rick Sacks   Author's Homepage   Email Rick Sacks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Beware.
Proceed cautiously.
Associating with Sawatskey might be dangerous.

--------------------
The SignShop
Mendocino, California

http://www.mendosign.com

Making the simple complicated is commonplace;
making the complicated simple, awesomely simple, that's creativity. — Charles Mingus

Posts: 6712 | From: Mendocino, CA. USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raymond Chapman
Resident

Member # 361

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Raymond Chapman   Author's Homepage   Email Raymond Chapman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Now, if Dan were describing the distance it would be half a block. When we were there in October, everything was just a half a block from the studio...of course, it was half a block from the front door to the street.

Welcome Graham. You will find many answers to your questions here on this forum. Some even work.

--------------------
Chapman Sign Studio
Temple, Texas
chapmanstudio@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 6306 | From: Temple, Texas, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Neil D. Butler
Resident

Member # 661

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Neil D. Butler   Email Neil D. Butler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome aboard Graham, from the eXteme East Coast...I've been to BC a few times.. I was even to Sardis, Chilliwack area, had a brother who lived there years ago.

--------------------
"Keep Positive"

SIGNS1st.
Neil Butler
Paradise, NF

Posts: 6277 | From: St. John's NF Canada | Registered: Mar 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Duncan Wilkie
Resident

Member # 132

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Duncan Wilkie   Author's Homepage   Email Duncan Wilkie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Now, if Dan were describing the distance it would be half a block.
...tell me about it. [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
Duncan Wilkie
aka signdog
http://www.comsign.ca
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

Posts: 4351 | From: Edmonton, Alberta, Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Duncan Wilkie
Resident

Member # 132

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Duncan Wilkie   Author's Homepage   Email Duncan Wilkie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
... oh ya, welcome Graham.

--------------------
Duncan Wilkie
aka signdog
http://www.comsign.ca
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

Posts: 4351 | From: Edmonton, Alberta, Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan Sawatzky
Resident

Member # 88

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dan Sawatzky   Author's Homepage   Email Dan Sawatzky   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome to Letterville Graham! I was out in your neck of the wood yesterday seeing a client in Maple Ridge.

You are certainly welcome to come to a Workshop when you are able, but you can also drop in anytime you are out this way as well. We welcome visitors!

Design is something that many folks have trouble putting a value to. Generally we charge a flat fee for design. But a flat fee has to have limits, especially if you get a fussy customer who wants endless revisions. I've heard many have a set charge with limited revisions and then kick to an hourly charge after that.

We generally charge a flat fee for design which varies depending on the size of project.

-grampa dan

--------------------
Dan Sawatzky
Imagination Corporation
Yarrow, British Columbia
dan@imaginationcorporation.com
http://www.imaginationcorporation.com

Being a grampa is one of the the most wonderful things in the world!!!

Posts: 8738 | From: Yarrow, B.C. Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Graham Prinn
Visitor
Member # 10642

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Graham Prinn   Email Graham Prinn       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you guys for the warm welcome,30 min away is like what 2 blocks away Dan? lol. I will be taking things very slow at fist, probably house and cottage signs.Just in the process or strengthening my cnc router, had a little flex. So flat rate sounds like the preferred method. Has any one used yellow cedar? I just got a ton of it, thought it would be good to use, I know it carves much better than red cedar,I know hdu foam is the better substance to use but I'll be waiting on that until the customer pays for it, expensive.Like I said I ramble so want to thank you again. Graham

--------------------
Graham Prinn
43201 lougheed hwy,
deroche, B.C. Canada

Posts: 39 | From: Deroche,B.C.,Canada | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
John Lennig
Resident

Member # 2455

Icon 1 posted      Profile for John Lennig   Author's Homepage   Email John Lennig   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome, Graham! look both ways for the Train! I love those old little commercial stores in Deroche...pretty place to be!!

John

--------------------
John Lennig / Big Top Sign Arts
5668 Ewart Street, Burnaby,
British Columbia, Canada
bigtopya@hotmail.com

Posts: 2184 | From: Burnaby, British Columbia,Canada | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Graham Prinn
Visitor
Member # 10642

Hi John, I actually had a gift shop next to the deroche general store, It was a lot of fun, met lots of people. I had an idea which might sound crazy but we have a lot of traffic coming our way and there is this spot just before the bridge were they sell fruit and things, well I thought of setting up a stand there just off the lougheed, I know crazy but worth a try.Never know till you try, and it,s free lol. Graham

--------------------
Graham Prinn
43201 lougheed hwy,
deroche, B.C. Canada

David Harding
Resident

Member # 108

Icon 1 posted      Profile for David Harding   Author's Homepage   Email David Harding   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Graham,

Welcome to Letterville. The half hour (not half block--although most of Dan's "half block" trips take over half an hour) trip to Dan's will give you plenty of inspiration and you'll soak up lots of ideas to use.

Regarding design, I often tell the client there are two parts to the job, design and production. If they are willing to pay for your design time, they are usually serious about the rest of the job. Often they want prices on the job before the design is done. I try to ascertain a budget from them and design toward that. If they cannot give you a budget, I show examples from my portfolio with rough pricing for each. That often hones things in a little closer. Of course, starting out, you won't have a large portfolio.

Have fun in the dimensional sign business!

--------------------
David Harding
A Sign of Excellence
Carrollton, TX

Posts: 5084 | From: Carrollton, TX, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pete Payne

Member # 344

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pete Payne   Author's Homepage   Email Pete Payne   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
HI Graham, i'm way out in the boonies, small town on lake huron, 20 miles from the nearest town over 1000 pop, but only one office door from my favorite supplier and stuff gets really cheap for me after 5:00 when she's in the house with the kids! p.s. don't tell her or the accountant

--------------------
Pete Payne
Willowlake Design/Canadian Signcrafters
Bayfield, ON

Canadian Signcrafters

Posts: 619 | From: Bayfield, ON Canada | Registered: Feb 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Graham Prinn
Visitor
Member # 10642

Thanks for the advice David, I'll be using it.
Hi Pete, you know I'm sure I,ve been to lake Huron but just cant remember it, I grew up in Mississauga Ont and my father use to take us camping every were you can think of, no worries I wont be telling any one our little secret lol. Graham

--------------------
Graham Prinn
43201 lougheed hwy,
deroche, B.C. Canada

Pete Payne

Member # 344

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pete Payne   Author's Homepage   Email Pete Payne   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
if you don't remember lake huron you were likely college age and partying in Grand Bend, lots of people went there/go there and don't remember much, don't think i was ever there though

--------------------
Pete Payne
Willowlake Design/Canadian Signcrafters
Bayfield, ON

Canadian Signcrafters

Posts: 619 | From: Bayfield, ON Canada | Registered: Feb 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Michael Gene Adkins
Merchant

Member # 882

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Michael Gene Adkins   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Gene Adkins   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The best way to "charge" for a sign???

Cash up front of course!!!

(ya think I'm bad, wait 'til Bruce B. gets going!!!!)

--------------------
Michael Gene Adkins
The Fontry
1576 S Hwy 59
Watts OK 74964

Posts: 845 | From: Watts, OK USA | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Donna in BC
Resident

Member # 130

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Donna in BC   Author's Homepage   Email Donna in BC   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome Graham! (I'm only a 1/4 of a block from Dan's)

If you are venturing into the routered sign biz, you don't dare miss out on one of Dan's workshops. Why? Cuz I'm generally there as a volunteer helper and I'm a blast.

Ok.. seriously? You have cream of the crop training right on your own doorstep. Do take in that Yarrow tour when it's on and peek in for yourself.

Regarding the designing question, I attempt to sell a flat fee logo first, then whatever comes afterwards is a separate project. If they just desire a sign with their exsisting logo on it, I generally price the artwork involved and sign together. Quote/estimate first, then you'll know if they are serious.

--------------------
Donna Williams
Funky Junk Interiors
Yarrow, BC Canada
donna@funkyjunkinteriors.net

~ Check out the newest junk at ~ http://funkyjunkinteriors.net/

Posts: 5630 | From: Yarrow, BC Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Graham Prinn
Visitor
Member # 10642

Hey Pete, it,s been a long time since being in Ont,I've been all over Ont so I cant remember all plus my hockey team was called the Mississauga Huron lol, might have mixed them up.

Hey Mr Adkins are you saying you ask for the full amount up front or just 50%, If you get all of it up front then that's not bad, guess your good at being bad and who's Bruce B, should be scared?

Hi Dona, Wow your cute plus your a blast, how lucky can Mr Dan be lol,Hope I didn't offend any one there and didn't get my self in trouble all ready.
Any way I sure am planning to go to the work shop, It,ll get me off on the right foot.
So with 3d signs would charge more for the designing part? because you need to do the modeling as well witch can take a while.
Oh are you on the studio tour as well?
Thanks every one. Graham

--------------------
Graham Prinn
43201 lougheed hwy,
deroche, B.C. Canada

Michael Gene Adkins
Merchant

Member # 882

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Michael Gene Adkins   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Gene Adkins   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bruce B (owers) is a real troublemaker on this board!!! LOL. (Just kidding, Bruce!!!) Don't start deleting my fonts!!!

50% down is always a good policy for anyone.

You think Donna's cute, you should "Nettie" chasing customers down the road in her underwear!!! But that's another post ....

--------------------
Michael Gene Adkins
The Fontry
1576 S Hwy 59
Watts OK 74964

Posts: 845 | From: Watts, OK USA | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Graham Prinn
Visitor
Member # 10642

Ya I seen the post, to tell you the truth I think they all just want to flash there customers lol.

I hope I didn't scare Donna, Maybe I should not have said that, She probably think,s I,m a stalker or something, It's funny how you say thing's on the computer but in person I wouldn't say that lol,

Graham

--------------------
Graham Prinn
43201 lougheed hwy,
deroche, B.C. Canada

Donna in BC
Resident

Member # 130

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Donna in BC   Author's Homepage   Email Donna in BC   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Never hurts to hear a compliment from time to time Graham. So, thanks. [Smile]

No, I'm not on the Yarrow Tour. I work pretty incognito at the moment.

--------------------
Donna Williams
Funky Junk Interiors
Yarrow, BC Canada
donna@funkyjunkinteriors.net

~ Check out the newest junk at ~ http://funkyjunkinteriors.net/

Posts: 5630 | From: Yarrow, BC Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Graham Prinn
Visitor
Member # 10642

Your absolutely right Donna, never hurt's once in a while,
To bad you don't do the tour,it's a great way to find contacts, When I did the mission one I had got a few really good one's and one that was a gift shop that carried my intarsia art work for a while. Just something to look at one day perhaps, I'm sure Dan has told you.Oh by the way when we meet at Dan's work shop if I go please just ignore my tick and the 3rd eye, underneath all the scaly skin there's a nice guy, Graham

--------------------
Graham Prinn
43201 lougheed hwy,
deroche, B.C. Canada

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!