Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » Need tips on applying large decal to side of tanker

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Need tips on applying large decal to side of tanker
Judy Pate
Resident

Member # 237

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Judy Pate   Email Judy Pate   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have to apply an 48" X 9' 4" decal to the side of a tanker trailer. I plan to apply it with a middle hinge, top side first then the bottom side. Any suggestions or tips on applying this huge decal will be appreciated.
Judy

--------------------
Judy Pate
Signs By Judy
Albany, Georgia USA
229-435-6824

Live simply...Love generously...Care deeply...Speak kindly...Leave the rest to God.

Posts: 2621 | From: Albany,GA,USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Doug Allan
Resident

Member # 2247

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Doug Allan   Author's Homepage   Email Doug Allan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like to use application fluid sometimes, on larger stuff, which also needs to be done outside, and possibly with some wind...

...so, I would do the center hinge like you suggested, but I'd do the lower half first, so the when I do the top half, the fluid won't be dripping on the paper liner.

Also, sometimes I like to let that top "half" just be 1/3, or 1/4 of the print, because it is more awkward squeegeeing upwards, so a smaller section is easier & provides a more than sufficient "hinge" for the second half to go easier, in my preferred, gravity assisted, squeegeeing direction.

--------------------
Doug Allan
http://www.islandsign.com

"you get what you settle for"

Posts: 8981 | From: Kahului, HI, USA | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Laura Butler
Visitor
Member # 1830

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Laura Butler   Email Laura Butler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I hinge it in the middle. When doing 8' or shorter, I can do it by myself. Being that its over that I would use someone else with me and have them hold the corners just above the surface and hold them fairly tight.

I hinge it in the middle, take one side and peel the paper back, cut it off and let the second person hold it while I squeegey it down.

I use long strokes, going all the way and all the way down, working my way to the outside.

Definately use some kind of application fluid. Also after I tape it up, I like to go around the outside edges with a stablio so that I can later line it up as I go.

--------------------
Laura Butler
Vision Graphics & Sign
4479 Welch Rd
Attica, Mi 48412

Posts: 2855 | From: Attica, Mi, USA | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Judy Pate
Resident

Member # 237

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Judy Pate   Email Judy Pate   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for your tips! Doug, I think applying about a 1/4 of the decal on top and making mostly downard stokes on the bottom will work best for me too. I don't know about applying it wet because this is a Pilot decal that is printed on 680 Scotchcal Reflective Plus with Control Tack material.
Laura I wish I was applyng this decal to a flat surface, a verticle center hinge would be the way I would go. But as you know a diesel/gas tanker is round so a horizontal hinge will work best.
Thanks,
Judy

[ February 26, 2009, 07:54 AM: Message edited by: Judy Pate ]

--------------------
Judy Pate
Signs By Judy
Albany, Georgia USA
229-435-6824

Live simply...Love generously...Care deeply...Speak kindly...Leave the rest to God.

Posts: 2621 | From: Albany,GA,USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Russ McMullin
Resident

Member # 5617

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Russ McMullin   Author's Homepage   Email Russ McMullin       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hopefully you have a place to do it indoors so you don't have to worry about it being too cold or too hot. I think I would do the hinge at the top. If it has Control Tack adhesive, it shouldn't be too difficult to apply dry, as long as you get it to lay flat to start with.

--------------------
Russ McMullin
Tooele, UT
www.mcmullincreative.com

My mind wanders. And that's not a good thing, 'cause it's too small to be out there alone.

Posts: 3129 | From: Tooele, UT | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jake Lyman
Visitor
Member # 3280

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jake Lyman   Author's Homepage   Email Jake Lyman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We did 15 of them that had a 3' stripe 44' long and we hinged them all from the top and worked our way down.

--------------------
Jake Lyman
Lyman Signs
45 State Road
Phillipston, MA 01331

Posts: 635 | From: Phillipston, MA | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Judy Pate
Resident

Member # 237

Icon 16 posted      Profile for Judy Pate   Email Judy Pate   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Russ,
I am fortunate to have the tanker inside at the trailer shop. After I finish applying the large decal...I have to start removing all the stripes and decal on the other side and replace them. Today the temp is going to reach the 70's so I will probably work outside while removing the stripes & decals. The tanker is chrome so it is very cold.
Judy
 -

--------------------
Judy Pate
Signs By Judy
Albany, Georgia USA
229-435-6824

Pete Payne

Member # 344

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pete Payne   Author's Homepage   Email Pete Payne   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi, I work alone and stuff that size is a challenge so along with the hinge i also tape or clamp a long light straight piece, say maybe apiece of alum extrusion along the bottom to weigh the bottom down and provide a full length handle. I f you tpape it to the backing under the decal you can roll it down and it will keep the decal from contacting the surface

--------------------
Pete Payne
Willowlake Design/Canadian Signcrafters
Bayfield, ON

Canadian Signcrafters

Posts: 619 | From: Bayfield, ON Canada | Registered: Feb 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Butterworth
Deceased

Member # 227

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jon Butterworth   Email Jon Butterworth   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I do a lot of curved tanker decals.

Hinge horizontal about 6" from the top and apply that dry,

Rest gets lots wet application peeling back backing paper as you go,

Felt squeegee helps.

--------------------
Bushie^
aka Jon Butterworth

Executive Director
HARDLY NORMAL
SIGN COMPANY

http://www.icr.com.au/~jonsigns

Posts: 4014 | From: Toowoomba, Queensland, Australia | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blake Koehn
Visitor
Member # 5984

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blake Koehn   Author's Homepage   Email Blake Koehn       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Judy,

Ask Jon J. for his instructional video for applying stripes like that to tankers. You will find it very informative. [Rolling On The Floor] [Rolling On The Floor] [Rolling On The Floor]

--------------------
Art that sells.

There is joy in the journey.

Blake Koehn
www.prodigitalsupply.com
Macon, MS 39341
admin@prodigitalsupply.com

Posts: 493 | From: Macon, Ms | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
roger bailey
Merchant

Member # 556

Icon 1 posted      Profile for roger bailey   Author's Homepage   Email roger bailey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Because its reflective and its cold, You will be happier with Rapid TacII.

Clean the tanker with "NOTHING OTHER THEN" the Rapid TacII and "cheap kitchen paper towels" (no super absorbant no lint free/static free)nor cloth.
You should find this very helpfull.

See my videos at ; www.rapidtac.com

Roger

--------------------
Roger Bailey
Rapid Tac Incorporated
186 Combs Dr.
Merlin Oregon

Posts: 3020 | From: Merlin Oregon | Registered: Dec 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Jantz
Resident

Member # 6137

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jon Jantz   Author's Homepage   Email Jon Jantz       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Blake, that was more like a How (NOT) To....  -

--------------------
Jon Jantz
Snappysign.com
jjantz21@gmail.com
http://www.allcw.com

Posts: 3395 | From: Atmore, AL | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Jantz
Resident

Member # 6137

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jon Jantz   Author's Homepage   Email Jon Jantz       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ok.... I'm going to go ahead and jump in front of the ridicule train and put this link up.... strictly as a comedy routine and NOT as a HOW TO...

First, read this though...

This is the tanker I posted about a while back... they wanted a black stripe down the whole tank. I had set up my camera to take a time lapse video, so it has no audio.... therefore the frustration is not very obvious.

Well, the tank was not perfectly round... in fact the sides flattened out quite a bit on it, but it still had some curvature to it... I decided to try it working from one end to the other.

It did not work. It had just enough curvature to make the vinyl buckle and create problems. I cussed and swore at it so hard, most of the bubbles popped.... I was even worried about the gas exploding in the tank. There was about a 20 mph wind going on which didn't help matters any. It was so bad, my wife quit helping me about halfway through the run, swearing to never touch vinyl again. My dad-in-law and mom-in-law were also on hand to offer witty help and laugh at me.

When it was all said and done, and I'd gone back and taken care of the air bubbles, it actually looked really good. It had lettering that went over the black stripe which helped also and the customer was ecstatic at how it turned out and tells me so every time he sees me.

NOW... on the other side I taped all the way along the top... I folded vinyl back and peeled the backing down about 8 inches the whole length.... sprayed a liberal amount of Rapid Tac on the tank and had my dad-in-law help me flip it down. I start sqeegeeing it down a few inches at a time working back and forth from end to end, making sure to keep it wet with RT underneath so it wouldn't prematurely stick.

It went on like a dream... virtually no bubbles, no wrinkles and really smooth. I was completely amazed at how much easier it was, and very happy with the results. As one who does not use application fluid that much, I'll have to hand it to Roger... the Rapid Tac turned that hard job into an easy one.

The way the first side turned out, I didn't bother setting up the video for the second side. I wish I would have now, because it worked SO much better....

WATCH IT AND LAUGH

BTW- my wife doesn't have fleas, she kept putting her hair behind her ears because of the wind. She hates this video and will kill me if she finds out I posted it on here... [Rolling On The Floor] [Rolling On The Floor] [Rolling On The Floor]

--------------------
Jon Jantz
Snappysign.com
jjantz21@gmail.com

Posts: 3395 | From: Atmore, AL | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Butterworth
Deceased

Member # 227

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jon Butterworth   Email Jon Butterworth   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jon to Jon

[Rolling On The Floor] [Rolling On The Floor] [Rolling On The Floor]

Yer "rapidly" qualiflying to become the HNSC Vinyl Jokey Jon!

Yer have to do an Aussie "Road Train" 3 trailer minimum with stripes and logos in a howling gale by yerself yet!

At least I used a plank between the ladders!

[Bash] [Bash] [Bash]

--------------------
Bushie^
aka Jon Butterworth

Executive Director
HARDLY NORMAL
SIGN COMPANY

http://www.icr.com.au/~jonsigns

Posts: 4014 | From: Toowoomba, Queensland, Australia | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Jantz
Resident

Member # 6137

quote:
Originally posted by Jon Butterworth:
Jon to Jon

Vinyl Jokey

Uh-huh. I caught that.  - [Wink]

--------------------
Jon Jantz
Snappysign.com
jjantz21@gmail.com

roger bailey
Merchant

Member # 556

Icon 1 posted      Profile for roger bailey   Author's Homepage   Email roger bailey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I realllly wish you had video taped the wet app with Rapid Tac Jon, infact if you or anyone else tapes a Rapid Tac (or TacII) application, large or small, well, Id be very generous with them for a copy with rights !!

Its always been more impressive (in my opinion) to see a video done in the field by real sign or graphic folks "makin a livin".

Roger

--------------------
Roger Bailey
Rapid Tac Incorporated
186 Combs Dr.
Merlin Oregon

Posts: 3020 | From: Merlin Oregon | Registered: Dec 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!