Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » pricing help for wall painting

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: pricing help for wall painting
Bruce Brickman
Visitor
Member # 8180

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bruce Brickman   Author's Homepage   Email Bruce Brickman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
First off thank you!
I was asked to give an estimate for a high school baseball team "LIONS baseball". It will be one color (yellow) on a black wall which will be already painted by another person. The name LIONS will be on an arch with the word baseball underneath. The size is 12' high by 32' wide. It is an outdoor wall.

Thanks again,

Bruce

--------------------
Bruce Brickman
Art & Sign
503-351-4205
www.brucebrickman.com

Posts: 660 | From: Oregon | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bruce Brickman
Visitor
Member # 8180

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bruce Brickman   Author's Homepage   Email Bruce Brickman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Whoops, I didn't look at the categories before sending this, excuse me.

--------------------
Bruce Brickman
Art & Sign
503-351-4205
www.brucebrickman.com

Posts: 660 | From: Oregon | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Si Allen
Resident

Member # 420

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Si Allen   Email Si Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
wellllllllllllllll....is the wall brick, block, stucco, shingles? How high up? Yellow on black will require a white undercoat and 2 coats of yellow.

Sounds like a minimum of $4000...could be higher!

--------------------
Si Allen #562
La Mirada, CA. USA

(714) 521-4810

si.allen on Skype

siallen@dslextreme.com

"SignPainters do It with Longer Strokes!"

Never mess with your profile while in a drunken stupor!!!

Brushasaurus on Chat

Posts: 8827 | From: La Mirada, CA, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bruce Brickman
Visitor
Member # 8180

Hi Si,
Thanks for responding. It is a 15' high stucco wall, the ground is grass and level.

--------------------
Bruce Brickman
Art & Sign
503-351-4205
www.brucebrickman.com

Brad Farha
Visitor
Member # 931

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brad Farha   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Farha   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
384 sq.ft. @$10 = $3840

--------------------
Brad Farha, owner
Farha Signs
Beckley, WV
304-252-3778

Posts: 981 | From: Beckley, WV | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bruce Brickman
Visitor
Member # 8180

Thanks Brad! I was thinking, since I live in the country and it is a local school, $3000.00 plus free advertising on the field.

--------------------
Bruce Brickman
Art & Sign
503-351-4205
www.brucebrickman.com

John Arnott
Resident

Member # 215

Icon 1 posted      Profile for John Arnott   Email John Arnott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is the wall flat black? Or shiny oil base.
If you can....use flat latex water base white paint for the first coat. A large cutter brush to outline and roll everything else. Sometimes you can double coat right away.
Are you going to project it? Be carful with the distortion.
A large pattern is very time comsuming.
Maybe just for the smaller letters.
Pay attention to what us old geezers say ....Right Si. Been there....done that.

P.S. The free advertising isn't worth anything....the photo in your portfolio is!

--------------------
John Arnott
El Cajon CA
619 596-9989
signgraphics1@aol.com
http://www.signgraphics1.com

Posts: 1443 | From: El Cajon CA usa | Registered: Dec 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bruce Brickman
Visitor
Member # 8180

Thank you John,
The wall is not painted yet and it will be done by a house painting company. I appreciate the tips. I have painted murals but art has been the priority over production. Now that I am learning the sign business and getting older production is really important.

--------------------
Bruce Brickman
Art & Sign
503-351-4205
www.brucebrickman.com

Tony Vickio
Resident

Member # 2265

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tony Vickio   Author's Homepage   Email Tony Vickio   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Check out the Shur-Line Pad Painter (Lowes). you will be amazed!

--------------------
Tony Vickio
The World Famous Vickio Signs
3364 Rt.329
Watkins Glen, NY 14891
t30v@vickiosigns.com
607-535-6241
http://www.vickiosigns.com

Posts: 1063 | From: Watkins Glen, New York | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bruce Brickman
Visitor
Member # 8180

OK Tony, Thank you! A shur-line pad painter????
I am curious. Thanks again!

Bruce

--------------------
Bruce Brickman
Art & Sign
503-351-4205
www.brucebrickman.com

Tony Vickio
Resident

Member # 2265

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tony Vickio   Author's Homepage   Email Tony Vickio   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Bruce,
Larry Orr and I have been using these for years. I will take a little practice but when you get the hang of it you will be amazed. I haven't used a fitch in 6 or 7 years!
This concrete Pit Wall is 1800 feet long. Larry & I painted both sides with various logos. All the outlines were done with the pads, then we rolled the fill.
The water tank was painted (Steve Hughey & I)with the pads. We have tried a lot of brands and found that the Shur-Line brand is the best. Lowes carries them. Try them and let me know what you think.

Have fun!!

-

--------------------
Tony Vickio
3364 Rt.329
Watkins Glen, NY 14891
t30v@vickiosigns.com
607-535-6241

Posts: 1063 | From: Watkins Glen, New York | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bruce Brickman
Visitor
Member # 8180

Wow those are impressive photos Tony! I will give it a try on the next wall job. I must admit many years of painting murals and portraits have made the feel of a brush in hand very special. This kind of wall painting is about production and whatever tool supports quality and speed I'm game.

Thanks a lot Tony!

--------------------
Bruce Brickman
Art & Sign
503-351-4205
www.brucebrickman.com

Tony Vickio
Resident

Member # 2265

You are absolutely right Bruce. Murals & Portraits are very different than straight forward style of production work. The "feel" of the brush can't be beat!

To show how fast a pad is, in the photo of me painting the inside of the "o" in Zippo, the entire inside of the "o" was done in one "swoop"!!

--------------------
Tony Vickio
3364 Rt.329
Watkins Glen, NY 14891
t30v@vickiosigns.com
607-535-6241

Sean G. Starr
Visitor
Member # 1549

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sean G. Starr   Author's Homepage   Email Sean G. Starr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm with Brad, $10 per square foot...

--------------------
Starr Studios
Denton, Texas
http://www.starrstudios.net

Posts: 214 | From: Denton, Texas | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!