Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » price check - truck graphics

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: price check - truck graphics
Karen M Stanley
Resident

Member # 7178

Icon 5 posted      Profile for Karen M Stanley   Email Karen M Stanley       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am trying to figure out how much to charge for putting some large graphics right down the sides and front end of a Kenworth tractor/truck. Each side covers about 1' x 19' and then there are also 3 names (8" x 12" approx) and one set of initials (3" high) on each side. I'm hoping he'll go for printed vinyl (3M controltac), then just do the names in high performance vinyl.
One side is pretty straight forward (just the door frame and a few rivets) the other side is much more complicated as far as application around obstructions.
I really have no idea how much to charge... what do you think?

--------------------
Karen Stanley
Signs & Wonders
Amherst, VA

Posts: 136 | From: Amherst, VA | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Curt Stenz
Visitor
Member # 82

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Curt Stenz   Email Curt Stenz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We have no idea as to what you are planning to put on this vehicle. A rough layout layered above a digital image would be a help.

One thing you can count on is that doing a tractor will take more time than you think it will, unless you have experience at it.

Controltac is the way to go, don't give him the option. My wild guess would be $1500.

--------------------
Curt Stenz Graphics
700 Squirrel Lane
Marathon, WI 54448

Posts: 590 | From: Marathon, WI 54448 | Registered: Dec 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Karen M Stanley
Resident

Member # 7178

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karen M Stanley   Email Karen M Stanley       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh I'm so glad I asked!!! [Smile]
Here's what he wants.... the graphic will be in purples and blues
 -
And NO I haven't done anything this ambitious yet, so wouldn't be that upset if he decides against it - or goes to the cheap fella down the road!

--------------------
Karen Stanley
Signs & Wonders
Amherst, VA

Posts: 136 | From: Amherst, VA | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Barb Schilling
Resident

Member # 13

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Barb Schilling   Author's Homepage   Email Barb Schilling   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Karen-
First off, you might need to rethink the design a little where it goes from behind the door to the sleeper. That big of a transition is NOT going to look smooth with the swoop transitioning like that.

Second, It always takes a little longer for prep and positioning on a big rig. Funny how all those steps from point A to point B add up.

--------------------
SIGN STATION

Anoka, Minnesota
www.signstation.com
barbara@signstation.com

Posts: 338 | From: Andover, MN, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dawud Shaheed
Visitor
Member # 5719

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dawud Shaheed   Author's Homepage   Email Dawud Shaheed       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would figure out your material cost then what you would like to get paid. Off the top of my head, guessing the material (if it is control tac) would cost me from my wholesale digital printer approx. $195-$260. Then from there, what is dealing with the customer, designing it, trimming it, installing it and cleaning up after yourself worth to you?
I'd say somewhere in the range of $ 300-$400 profit (after material cost)

--------------------
Dawud Shaheed
Sign Scientist
Durham (triangle area) N.C
919 685 7641
signscientist@aol.com
www.signscientist.com

Posts: 1158 | From: durham (triangle area) NC | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alicia B. Jennings
Resident

Member # 1272

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Alicia B. Jennings   Email Alicia B. Jennings   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If it was me. I'd use regular Gerber HP 220 vinyl. It's a pretty simple job.$450.00+sales tax
If the truck needs extra prep/cleaning go to $500 bucks.

--------------------
Signs by Alicia Jennings (Mudflap Girl)
Tacoma, WA
Since 1987
Have Lipstick, will travel.

Posts: 3814 | From: Tacoma, WA. U.S.A. | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ray Rheaume
Resident

Member # 3794

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ray Rheaume   Email Ray Rheaume   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm with Alicia.

No real need for digital prints here since it's all solid colors.
The real problem you'll run into is getting around the mirrors with that design and bending it onto the sleeper. The latter can be adjusted for by lengthening that one section 8-10 inches or s, and putting on the last little flip separately.

I'd charge $500 as long as it showed up ready to go. Cleaning and prepping takes time and time is money.

--------------------
Ray Rheaume
Rapidfire Design
543 Brushwood Road
North Haverhill, NH 03774
rapidfiredesign@hotmail.com
603-787-6803

I like my paint shaken, not stirred.

Posts: 5648 | From: North Haverhill, New Hampshire | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brad Farha
Visitor
Member # 931

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brad Farha   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Farha   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would charge too much.

--------------------
Brad Farha, owner
Farha Signs
Beckley, WV
304-252-3778

Posts: 981 | From: Beckley, WV | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!