Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » Canadian Guitars....and pickers

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Canadian Guitars....and pickers
Wayne Webb
Resident

Member # 1124

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wayne Webb   Author's Homepage   Email Wayne Webb   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My 24 year old Yamaha 12 string has the thick baseball-bat neck design and is pulled so the action is too high now to enjoy playing anymore. But I tried a Taylor model 555 last night and it was so nice, even barre chords were almost effortless. So I've got the hankering for a 12 string again.. But Taylors are a little pricey for my budget right now. Has anyone ever played any "Seagull" guitars?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sTPs2r8ari8

[ January 30, 2009, 05:33 PM: Message edited by: Wayne Webb ]

--------------------
Wayne Webb
Webb Signworks
Chipley, FL
wayne@webbsignworks.com

Posts: 7403 | From: Chipley,Florida,United States | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Santo
Visitor
Member # 411

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Santo   Email Santo   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Was your Yamaha made in Japan, Korea or somewhere else. Japanese manufactured guitars usually have Japan on the tuning key covers. They are very well made and may be worth getting someone to open it up,straighten it out and reglue the bridge plate. Also Stew Mc has a new tool that can accomplish that without removing the top. Then a neck shave to the thinner shape you like would be possible. If you can get that done for under 250-275, you'd be still be ahead of the game. New guitars of the same model usually don't compare with 25 year old instruments.
You may have to spend $500-$600 new, to get the quality you paid half that for in what you have now. Only you know how it sounded before, and how bad it has pulled up.
When I laid a straight edge behind the bridge of my 1979 FG-335, I saw it pulled slightly, so I brought it to a friends shop. He looked at it, and I looked at new guitars. They were some that interested me alot, including the Seagulls(nice satin finish and they sound good too), but I was looking at 5 bills to approach the quality of my old beater. My friend said my problem was no that bad. He suggested removing the medium gauge strings and let sit in the closet for a week then go back with light gauge strings or just keep playing it like it was. I thought he was crazy. He gave me drawing of a makeshift clamp to use while it sat. It worked and i've gone back to medium gauge string.
With all that being said, if you want a new guitar, go get one. Most Seagulls have solid cedar tops. Look up La-Si-Do, They are one of North America's largest guitar manufactures. They are they mother company of Seagull. They also make Minstel and Simon & Patrick guitars. Seagull is the mid-quality line.

--------------------
Santo Brocato
Promotion Graphics & Letters
Spring, TX

Posts: 2501 | From: Spring, TX USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joey Madden
Resident

Member # 1192

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joey Madden   Author's Homepage   Email Joey Madden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This may be a little off your topic Wayne as I am not really into guitars but own two vintage electric models. One is a red hollow body Moserite blues guitar ID # 10 and the second is an electric stand up Jazz Bass by Hofner which Hofner says and I quote ' We have never seen one for sale so it would be hard to put a value to it as there weren't too many made ' These that I have are not for sale but just thought I'd mention them.

--------------------
HotLines Joey Madden - pinstriping since 1952
'Perfection, its what I look for and what I live for'

http://members.tripod.com/Inflite
http://www.pinheadlounge.com/hotlinesjoeymadden

Posts: 5962 | From: USA | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Michael Clanton
Resident

Member # 2419

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Michael Clanton   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Clanton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One of the guys that I used to play some gigs with had a couple of Taylors- sold one of them, then later replaced it with a Seagull- he really liked the way they all played, but the Taylors were kinda pricey. I think he still has a Baby Taylor and the Seagull.

--------------------
Michael Clanton
Clanton Graphics/ Blackberry 19 Studio
1933 Blackberry
Conway AR 72034
501-505-6794
clantongraphics@yahoo.com

Posts: 1736 | From: Conway Arkansas | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wayne Webb
Resident

Member # 1124

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wayne Webb   Author's Homepage   Email Wayne Webb   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Santo,
My Yamaha was made in Japan. It does have a rich tone and I think it actually rings louder than the Taylor I played. It's just such a bugger to play. But I could never part with it because it was a gift from my sweetie. I'm going to check into that tool from SM you mentioned. And thanks for all the great tips!

Joey, I once owned a Hofner hollow body electric which had a built-in pre-amp with several fuzz distortions, a little wah lever you control with your pinky finger and a whammy bar. It was old as the hills but in great condition. You could get some wild sounds out of that contraption.

Thanks Michael, if I can't get my Yamaha back into shape, I might try a Seagull.

[ January 31, 2009, 01:42 AM: Message edited by: Wayne Webb ]

--------------------
Wayne Webb
Webb Signworks
Chipley, FL
wayne@webbsignworks.com

Posts: 7403 | From: Chipley,Florida,United States | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joey Madden
Resident

Member # 1192

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joey Madden   Author's Homepage   Email Joey Madden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wayne, I got stories you wouldn't believe but the Hofner I have is an electric solid body stand up jazz bass which is very rare as less than 100 were made. In the late 60's I owned one of Paul McCartney's Hofner bass which I got from during a visit when I made shirts for rock bands back then. I gave it to my nephew and the rest is history

--------------------
HotLines Joey Madden - pinstriping since 1952
'Perfection, its what I look for and what I live for'

http://members.tripod.com/Inflite
http://www.pinheadlounge.com/hotlinesjoeymadden

Posts: 5962 | From: USA | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ian Stewart-Koster
Resident

Member # 3500

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ian Stewart-Koster   Author's Homepage   Email Ian Stewart-Koster   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wayne, I have a 23 year old Ibanez, and it used to really test the muscles in my left hand, doing barre-chords, and I used it less & less. The action was just too high.

I tried to fiddle with the steel rod up through the neck, but didn't really know what I was doing, and ended up leaving it alone.

Later I took it to a music shop where the guitar expert there lowered the bridge quite a bit, to allow for the warp in the body, and I don't think he adjusted the neck at all. Anyhow, now it's great, and the repair was all of $35.00

I bought an oldish electric acoustic- can't remember the brand- which sounded good, and the action was great. Once I got the Ibanez back, and started playing it, I was actually amazed at how much nicer the acoustic Ibanez is- you can just hear the better clarity in it. (It was about $700 in the mid 1980s)

--------------------
"Stewey" on chat

"...there are no limits when you aim for perfection..." Jonathan Livingston Seagull

Posts: 7014 | From: Highgrove via Toowoomba, Queensland, Australia | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sheila Ferrell
Resident

Member # 3741

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sheila Ferrell   Email Sheila Ferrell       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey, what do y'all think about a guitar-panel swap??

You can find old (unplayable) acoustic guitars at yard sales and thrift stores all the time for like $3-$8 bux. Would'nt it be fun to paint 'em up and swap em!! If you cai'nt find one, you could always paint one on a panel or cut-out sumthin' . . .

just an idear . . .

--------------------
Signs
Sweet Home Alabama

oneshot on chat

"Look like a girl, act like a lady, think like a man, work like a dog"

Posts: 5758 | From: "Sweet Home" Alabama | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mark Fair Signs
Visitor
Member # 289

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mark Fair Signs   Author's Homepage   Email Mark Fair Signs       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wayne,
I have played a Seagull, It is a nice guitar.
I know Taylor is a bit pricey but I highly recommend Taylor Guitars.
I own a black DDSM Taylor and I absolutely LOVE it!
I also own a Taylor 810 and a Baby Taylor.
My guitar of choice for the stage is the DDSM because of it's pick-up system which is Hex Pick-ups by LR Baggs.(each string has it's own Hex pick-up.) I play it through a Bose L1 system

It has great definition and plays like a dream

I liked it so much when I played it that I traded my 1977 Martin Herringbone-28.
A fine guitar only appreciates in value.

For bluegrass pickin' try Taylor's new GS series of acoustic guitars. The body style is grand auditorium.

Below is the DDSM Series...

-

[ January 31, 2009, 10:56 AM: Message edited by: Mark Fair Signs ]

--------------------
Mark Fair Signs
2162 Mt. Meigs Road
Montgomery, Alabama 36107

Posts: 5702 | From: Montgomery, Alabama | Registered: Dec 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wayne Webb
Resident

Member # 1124

I'd like to see that bass, Joey. Bet it's worth alot. My son, Jon, owns a 3/4 size and is pretty good on standup bass. He also plays an Ibanez acoustic/electric.

Sheila, If I ever get to have a meet down here, you and that sneaky Mr. Boone better keep your brushes away from my guitars. [Wink] Yeah...that sounds like a cool idea.

Ian, Im glad you got your Ibanez in good shape, that gives me hope for my old Yamaha. I just pulled it out of the case awhile ago it does sound great. Nothing like the natural aging process.

Mark, my son Jon wants a Martin D28. Right now he plays an Alvarez. Thanks for the info on the Seagull and the Taylors.

--------------------
Wayne Webb
Webb Signworks
Chipley, FL
wayne@webbsignworks.com

Ian Stewart-Koster
Resident

Member # 3500

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ian Stewart-Koster   Author's Homepage   Email Ian Stewart-Koster   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wayne,

a friend handed me his 40(?) year old Takamine elec-acoustic to hold for a bit at a concert, and I played it a bit: I've NEVER felt a better instrument- when he dies, I hope he leaves it to me!

I've used three newish Matons- they're very popular here, famous, and pricey- and their owners love them (maybe they convince themselves they're good because of the price paid???) but honestly, my old Ibanez leaves them for dead!

Perhaps the old Matons were great, but these newish ones have more 'I'm cool, look at my Maton' value than actual well-designed quality, in my opinion, and I'm no expert whatsoever- just judging it on comfort, ease of playing & sound.

But that Takamine...it was a beauty!

--------------------
"Stewey" on chat

"...there are no limits when you aim for perfection..." Jonathan Livingston Seagull

Posts: 7014 | From: Highgrove via Toowoomba, Queensland, Australia | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dana Bowers
Resident

Member # 780

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dana Bowers   Author's Homepage   Email Dana Bowers   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey... I can actually answer this post!!

Back about 20 years ago, when I was married to Jon and my daughter was about 2 years old, we went up to Canada with the dogs for a flyball tournament.

While there, Jon HAD to go to the local music store (he is an amazingly talented musician and singer - thank goodness Emily took after him! LOL!)

He played a Seagull and was extremely impressed (this coming from the guy with the custom made Olson guitars).

Ended up buying it. Back then I played as well, and when we split up, he kept all the instruments (guitars, bass, banjo, mandolin, pedal steel, dobro, fiddles, etc) but I wanted a guitar, so I kept the Seagull.

It's a fabulous guitar for the money. Emily plays it every once in a while here, and has held up beautifully over the years.

I even brought it to Mazeppa and had DeWayne put some feathers on it, and Dave the Letterman striped it (then, of course, DeWayne signed their names INSIDE one of the stripes!)

Went and took a look... it's a 6 string, single cut-away, Model S(6) C.W. Serial #27317.

Two thumbs up from here!

--------------------
Dana Ferry
St Cloud, MN

Posts: 1556 | From: St Cloud, MN | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wayne Webb
Resident

Member # 1124

Ian.
I told you wrong. Jon's acoustic/electric bass is a Takamine. It's a nice instrument for sure.

Thanks Dana, I'm going to have to try one of those Seagulls.

--------------------
Wayne Webb
Webb Signworks
Chipley, FL
wayne@webbsignworks.com

Mr Curtis Dalton
Visitor
Member # 7547

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr Curtis Dalton   Author's Homepage   Email Mr Curtis Dalton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I played a six string Seagull about two months ago... it was amazing! Fiddled with some Neil Young and then strummed Metallica's "Seek & Destroy" really hard to try and knock it outta tune... it didn't work.. it stayed in perfect tune. The store owner took it back and asked me not to touch the instruments.

--------------------
Mr Curtis Dalton
Advant Edge Signs & Graphics
24 Neptune Cr. Dartmouth, NS

Posts: 242 | From: Dartmouth, NS | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!