Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » He won't be at all happy that I revealed this but . . . (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: He won't be at all happy that I revealed this but . . .
Jay Allen
Resident

Member # 195

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jay Allen   Author's Homepage   Email Jay Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey!!! We just bought a new bike!!

Don got his bike - the guy gave him a great deal . . . replete with a luggage rack (so he deosn't abuse his back with a heavy backpack) a new headlight for night rides (in this case, early morning rides) - AND a super-strong-you-can't-steal-it bike lock . . .

Check that off the list . . . that also leaves Don some nice pocket money too. Temps supposed to get in the teens tomorrow - so even though warm days are ahead, there is still some 'unpleasantness' ahead.

So you all know how we did this, I just bought it with my debit card and will transfer the exact amount of the sale to my bank account. The balance of it I will probably get in a cashiers check and mail it to him - depending on the difficulty in doing that.

Karma reigns yet again . . . for those who are or have donated, just stop for one minute and put yourself in Don's situation. Think of walking along on that big ol' frame of his . . . sleeping on a cot . . . going out on the streets at 5 in the morning with the temps well below freezing.

God will surely reward you for helping ease that temporary suffering . . . I know I feel better for being the 'caretaker' of some amazing stories of understanding of Don's plight - that I won't ever be able to share with you . . . but suffice it to say, some here truly practice the whole concept of 'paying it forward' . . .

As for Don, I compromised his private conversations in emails by exposing this. I had to - but I will never do that again. He wanted to handle this alone. My big mouth just couldn't keep that quiet.

So I apologize publicly for my decision - but I, for one, feel it was well worth it.

--------------------
Jay Allen
ShawCraft Sign Co.
Machesney Park, IL
jallen222@aol.com
http://www.shawcraft.com/

"The object of the superior man is truth."
-Confucius

Posts: 1285 | From: Machesney Park, IL, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raymond Chapman
Resident

Member # 361

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Raymond Chapman   Author's Homepage   Email Raymond Chapman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No apology necessary, Jay. You did what was right. Whenever the chips are down, I want you on my side. You're a good man.

--------------------
Chapman Sign Studio
Temple, Texas
chapmanstudio@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 6306 | From: Temple, Texas, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Jantz
Resident

Member # 6137

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jon Jantz   Author's Homepage   Email Jon Jantz       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jay, this might would be going a step too far.... but just an idea. Does Don have a Paypal account in his name? If not, maybe you could set him one up. Then you can request a Debit Card from Paypal that works exactly like a Visa card. It's free to use and you actually get a little cash back for using it....

That would make it easy for him to access his funds, and easy for more to be added at a later date if he gets in a pinch. Also, if he does design work for anyone, they could easily and quickly pay into the Paypal account, and the funds would be instantly available.

He can even go to an ATM and pull out cash from it, if he needs to...

Just an idea, and I think you did the right thing.....

--------------------
Jon Jantz
SnappySign
Walnut Hill, FL

Posts: 3396 | From: Atmore, AL | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jay Allen
Resident

Member # 195

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jay Allen   Author's Homepage   Email Jay Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I asked that too, Jon . . . he said you need a 'real' email account - not Gmail as he uses - to set up a PayPal account. No permanent address, no go, I guess.

If someone knows of a better, more efficient way, please post it . . . that would be easiest for everyone I think . . .

And thanks so much for the kind words, Ray . . . but it was a GROUP effort . . . not just one person. No credit just to me is deserved. All I did was type a post . . . and betray Don's confidence!! (OK, that last part wasn't cool - but it worked!!)

I am ONE of a group of truly compassionate people . . . and proud to be one of that group. In this world we tend to deify one person too often - even when it 'takes a village' as it did here. I like 'team play' much better than going solo . . . but I get your point, too, Ray . . .

And right back at ya' Ray - I'd prefer you be on my side too!!

--------------------
Jay Allen
ShawCraft Sign Co.
Machesney Park, IL
jallen222@aol.com

-Confucius

Posts: 1285 | From: Machesney Park, IL, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jay Allen
Resident

Member # 195

Jon,

I re-read your post . . . I think I might have misunderstood the second part . . . maybe I could be the caretaker of that kind of account . . . I'd just have to mail Don the debit card . . .

Hmmm . . . I might have to go read the PayPal 'rules' to see what can be done . . .

--------------------
Jay Allen
ShawCraft Sign Co.
Machesney Park, IL
jallen222@aol.com

-Confucius

Jon Jantz
Resident

Member # 6137

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jon Jantz   Author's Homepage   Email Jon Jantz       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jay, I'm sure we could also come up with a 'real' email address for Don. My web hoster gives 2,500 free email addresses that I can assign with any of the 50 domains that I own.

He can then add his Gmail account as the secondary email address and still use it to log in, send or receive money, etc.

Another way would be for you to set up an account and list him as a secondary member, but I don't know if they'd send a debit card in HIS name then....

--------------------
Jon Jantz
SnappySign
Walnut Hill, FL

Posts: 3396 | From: Atmore, AL | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Curtis hammond
Visitor
Member # 2170

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Curtis hammond   Email Curtis hammond   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Pay pal charges outrageous fees to do this stuff.

--------------------
Leaper of Tall buildings.. If you find my posts divisive or otherwise snarky please ignore them. If you do not know how then PM me about it and I will demonstrate.

Posts: 5278 | From: Im a nowhere man | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Butterworth
Deceased

Member # 227

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jon Butterworth   Email Jon Butterworth   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jon set up a Domain etc for Don. Jay use the money to pay Don's ISP wireless ISP connection .... I will get him a job he can sit on a park bench doing off a frigging laptop!

--------------------
Bushie^
aka Jon Butterworth

Executive Director
HARDLY NORMAL
SIGN COMPANY

http://www.icr.com.au/~jonsigns

Posts: 4014 | From: Toowoomba, Queensland, Australia | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jay Allen
Resident

Member # 195

OK, good friends . . . almost done - though I'll see a few straggler donations come in still I bet . . . I'll send a last check later when it's all here.

Don has his new bike - with saddle bags and a super-deluxe bike lock. He sent a picture he took with his laptop and DANG! is that seat up high!!

Don' is being watched over by Pastor Sherry - she took him to the bike shop, etc. - and is the mailing address I am sending a personal check to - so Don will have the balance of the funds . . . and the balance is pretty healthy even after buying a bike!!

So for those who contributed . . . no matter the amount, it was in your heart to reach out and help a brother in trouble. I find myself shaking my head at the sadness in the world - while simultaneously nodding my head for the good I see in people . . .

How can a world so full of horrendous behaviors be so full of compassion when needed? The big mystery . . .

All of us with homes or families who are close by us - take a moment to say a short prayer for Don and others who find themselves in dire straits . . . new opportunities are headed Don's way - but the good will from afar sure can't hurt.

Thanks for letting me be the 'caretaker' with this little fundraiser - and for trusting me with your donations . . . needless to say, all of the monies are going to Don . . . and all of you will be hearing from Don personally.

He's got da' list of y'all who gave . . .

Don . . . I know you'll read this . . . you sure have a pretty swell list of friends and supporters . . . please remember that.

--------------------
Jay Allen
ShawCraft Sign Co.
Machesney Park, IL
jallen222@aol.com

-Confucius

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!