Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » He won't be at all happy that I revealed this but . . . (Page 0)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: He won't be at all happy that I revealed this but . . .
Laura Butler
Visitor
Member # 1830

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Laura Butler   Email Laura Butler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think that we can get enough to get him a car.

--------------------
Laura Butler
Vision Graphics & Sign
4479 Welch Rd
Attica, Mi 48412

Posts: 2855 | From: Attica, Mi, USA | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan Antonelli
Resident

Member # 86

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dan Antonelli   Author's Homepage   Email Dan Antonelli   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jay - it's not the wheel size - its the frame size. Go by that - as the wheel sizes are all the same.

Let us know if there's a paypal thing we can send $ to.

--------------------
Dan Antonelli
Graphic D-Signs, Inc.
279 Route 31 South • Suite 4
Washington, NJ
www.graphicd-signs.com
dan@graphicd-signs.com

"Some are born to move the world, to live their fantasies. But most of us just dream about the things we'd like to be." - Rush

Posts: 1192 | From: Washington, NJ | Registered: Feb 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Butterworth
Deceased

Member # 227

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jon Butterworth   Email Jon Butterworth   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry I can't do much more for Don from this distance.

Somebody here really needs to pick him up and use his incredible design talents with a full time job.

I tried years ago to hook him up with my brother in New Zealand doing Mac graphic illustration and design for International publisher via the internet ... but unfortunately nothing happened.

--------------------
Bushie^
aka Jon Butterworth

Executive Director
HARDLY NORMAL
SIGN COMPANY

http://www.icr.com.au/~jonsigns

Posts: 4014 | From: Toowoomba, Queensland, Australia | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stephen Deveau
Visitor
Member # 1305

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stephen Deveau         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jay here is a suggestion.

I have done some calls but to no pervail.
If you have the time and because you live closer then I do,
Call some of the bike shops and explain the reson why you are calling!

Because of the outcome of Dons' job position. and living at Sally Ann.

See if they are willing to donate a bike to him and in return call the local paper for a free advertising add because of their charity.

You never know what may happen!
All they can do is say no to a great way of advertisement.

--------------------
Stephen Deveau
RavenGraphics
Insinx Digital Displays

Letting Your Imagination Run Wild!

Posts: 4327 | From: Lower Sackville, Nova Scotia, Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jay Allen
Resident

Member # 195

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jay Allen   Author's Homepage   Email Jay Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am super busy today . . . so I won't be able to post until much later . . .

But, while we want to overshoot and get Don the help he needs, we have amassed an incredible amount of money so far . . . largely due to one incredible poster above who truly is an angel . . . awesome is the only word that comes to mind.

No gift is too large - no gift is too small . . . but once again, this profession shows what true brotherhood really means.

I am so proud to be a Letterhead - to be walking beside so many creative and compassionate people - to know that humanity is FAR more caring and self-aware than it thinks it is - and we as group are the examples many should follow. We all should continue to remain true to all that we are - and will be - and express our gratitude daily.

I am humbled by such gratitude for how much - or how little - we have. God's blessings to each and every one of you who've emailed me - or posted here - so far. What a classy bunch of people I am affiliated with.

I am truly blessed . . .

You get back twice what you give in life . . . and this story is far from over, I suspect.

Humbled. Appreciative. Proud of my profession.

--------------------
Jay Allen
ShawCraft Sign Co.
Machesney Park, IL
jallen222@aol.com
http://www.shawcraft.com/

"The object of the superior man is truth."
-Confucius

Posts: 1285 | From: Machesney Park, IL, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Billie DeBekker
Visitor
Member # 3848

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Billie DeBekker   Author's Homepage   Email Billie DeBekker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jay,
Follow up to last nights Email.

After Discussing it with my Wife and Son. We would be honored to have Don come out here, If he wants to.
My reasoning is a very personal one. I was in his shoes once and Someone lent me a Garage floor to sleep on, (Don will have a bed) while I built up this business with $20 and a prayer so its my turn to help someone I truly respect.
If he decides not to. let me know how you would like the money. Paypal check etc.

--------------------
Billie DeBekker
3rd Dimension Signs
Canon City Colorado 81212
719-276-9338
bill@3dsignco.com
www.3dsignco.com

"Another Fine Graduate of the Ray Charles School of Sign Painting."

Posts: 2530 | From: Canon City, Colorado | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
stein Saether
Resident

Member # 430

Icon 1 posted      Profile for stein Saether   Email stein Saether       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You are a nice man Don and it is gonna be allright again!

--------------------
Stein Saether
GullSkilt AS
Trondheim

Posts: 1183 | From: Trondheim Norway | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Doug Allan
Resident

Member # 2247

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Doug Allan   Author's Homepage   Email Doug Allan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wonderful offer Bill!
I was tempted to suggest Don coming to Maui. Losing property & a significant other, is never fun... but like they say, when one door closes, many more will open. Perhaps a gift certificate for a bike from a national chain (Sports Authority?) would allow Don to accept that gift, AND consider all the other opportunities that may open up for him.

--------------------
Doug Allan
http://www.islandsign.com

"you get what you settle for"

Posts: 8981 | From: Kahului, HI, USA | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Neil D. Butler
Resident

Member # 661

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Neil D. Butler   Email Neil D. Butler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'll help, just email me and let me know where to send the funds. This is a great Idea, like you said, it does'nt matter how little or How much, it all helps.

--------------------
"Keep Positive"

SIGNS1st.
Neil Butler
Paradise, NF

Posts: 6277 | From: St. John's NF Canada | Registered: Mar 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stephen Deveau
Visitor
Member # 1305

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stephen Deveau         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I do believe Sally Ann will help as well.

--------------------
Stephen Deveau
RavenGraphics
Insinx Digital Displays

Letting Your Imagination Run Wild!

Posts: 4327 | From: Lower Sackville, Nova Scotia, Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joey Madden
Resident

Member # 1192

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joey Madden   Author's Homepage   Email Joey Madden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
After mucho serious thoughts and phone calls to several Letterheads after first seeing this post yesterday morning I have come to this conclusion. I cannot stand to see a person like Don whether or not we get along be in the position he is in. I feel that money to any homeless person is of no consequence and therefore what is needed is a space for this gentleman. As I've said, I have called several persons in regards to his situation and now must figure a way to get Don to my place in southern Oregon where he may be a bit happier than any shelter. The talent that this man holds is minimal when you consider no one belongs where he is at this moment and a bicycle cannot replace love. For crying out loud, I'd give him a friggin bicycle the day he lands in Medford.

Believe me, I'm not looking for anything from Don or even part of his talent but I'll be damned to hell if something happens to him while he's in some sh-thole of a town looking for his lost bike and possibly finding it which may be had by some gun tote'n junkie with a gun.

I'd type in the names of who I've called but that would just anger those who hadn't returned my phone phone for whatever excuse they may have.

Don is welcome at my home for an extended stay to get himself together as long as he needs and maybe some letterheads here can make that happen.

That's all I have to say

--------------------
HotLines Joey Madden - pinstriping since 1952
'Perfection, its what I look for and what I live for'

http://members.tripod.com/Inflite
http://www.pinheadlounge.com/hotlinesjoeymadden

Posts: 5962 | From: USA | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jay Allen
Resident

Member # 195

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jay Allen   Author's Homepage   Email Jay Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Joey . . . I haven't had time yet to listen to the message you left. Today was just nuts - and the weekend and next week will be the same . . . but I agree with you 100%.

But we HAVE raised some nice money - and we CAN get Don moving again . . . in whatever way he sees fit.

I'll be in touch, Joey . . . just not today or Saturday. Likely on Sunday . . .

It's all good, Joey. Good things happening behind the scenes here. And I agree with you - no Letterhead should suffer through this.

You're a good man, Joey . . . but Don's heart is in Florida it seems . . . so I don't know about him getting out there.

But that's Don's call - not mine. Thanks, Joey . . . we feel the same way. I'll be in touch.

--------------------
Jay Allen
ShawCraft Sign Co.
Machesney Park, IL
jallen222@aol.com

-Confucius

Posts: 1285 | From: Machesney Park, IL, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gonzalo (Peewee)Curiel
Visitor
Member # 3837

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gonzalo (Peewee)Curiel   Author's Homepage   Email Gonzalo (Peewee)Curiel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Been in his shoes before (1994)...somebody send me an email address

--------------------
Gonzalo Curiel
Peewee Signs & designs
Oroville Ca 95965

peeweepinstriping@comcast.net www.signspeeweedesigns.com

Posts: 845 | From: Oroville,Ca. | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Butterworth
Deceased

Member # 227

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jon Butterworth   Email Jon Butterworth   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Spoken with Joey & Si on the subject a lot on Skpye since this thread started.

All three of us thinking same way. Money is not the solution!

--------------------
Bushie^
aka Jon Butterworth

Executive Director
HARDLY NORMAL
SIGN COMPANY

Posts: 4014 | From: Toowoomba, Queensland, Australia | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sheila Ferrell
Resident

Member # 3741

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sheila Ferrell   Email Sheila Ferrell       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
. . . Where Is Don's girlfriend? Is she living at the shelter too? Is she also out of work?

Just wondering. I'm really sorry to hear about Don's situation but can not personally contribute more than concern.

By the way, just as an aside, I take exception to Joey's comment about Hunstville being a 'sh--hole town. The fact is, the largest majority of Hunstville, Alabamba is a quite beautiful and clean city and is the home of the US space & rocket center, museum and school - check it out on-line. If there is a slum area in that city it is well hidden and off the beaten path.

--------------------
Signs
Sweet Home Alabama

oneshot on chat

"Look like a girl, act like a lady, think like a man, work like a dog"

Posts: 5758 | From: "Sweet Home" Alabama | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Butterworth
Deceased

Member # 227

Icon 10 posted      Profile for Jon Butterworth   Email Jon Butterworth   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sheila, nice talking to you tonight. Luv that southern belle accent ... sweeter than honey [Wink]

Think we straightened a few things out regarding this thread. Especially what part of town Don is in, and what he needs.

Jay, if you find the time and get enough money together from all of us here concerned about Don's plight .... use it get him further than new bike could take him to a new home and a job with one of us.

My brother in New Zealand could still use his work skills with a Mac via the internet! Damn, that's only free Skype phone call, and work by e-mail away!

[ January 31, 2009, 06:54 AM: Message edited by: Jon Butterworth ]

--------------------
Bushie^
aka Jon Butterworth

Executive Director
HARDLY NORMAL
SIGN COMPANY

Laura Butler
Visitor
Member # 1830

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Laura Butler   Email Laura Butler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There is a software/website out there that is free for one month that he could use too. Its an online conferencing software that allows you to talk to up to 16 people at once in a conference. The benefit is that you can turn on a feature that allows anyone in the conference to see you monitor and see what you are designing (or whatever). I use it everyday, 7 days a week with my day trading group. The sound is so much better than talking thru in Yahoo Messenger. If I need to send a file, I use Yahoo Mesenger and its there in a few seconds.

Jon this might be something that your brother and Don can work together with designing stuff. Your brother can see what Don's designing at the same time and he can have input too.

If someone wants me to show them how this works, just let me know. I can start a conference anytime pretty much and we can have up to 16 people all in there talking.

Best place to find me online is at yahoo Messenger. Just send email or instant message to ljbutler1951@yahoo.com for email or ljbutler1951 for YMess.

--------------------
Laura Butler
Vision Graphics & Sign
4479 Welch Rd
Attica, Mi 48412

Posts: 2855 | From: Attica, Mi, USA | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jay Allen
Resident

Member # 195

Well, Laura and some others have already seen to it to send money to a PayPal account I have in my email name - jrallen222@yahoo.com . . . so here's the link:

https://www.paypal.com/

So just log in to your PayPal acct. and run your debit card through that to me - or your credit card - or just mail the checks to my office (soon): ShawCraft Sign Co. - 7727 Burden Rd. - Machesney Park, IL c/o Jay Allen and I'll deposit them into my bank account and transfer it to PayPal. I can then PayPal the money to Don's account and he's golden . . . less than Western Union!!

Much more to say (what's new?) but too busy right now . . .

But quickly . . . you people are just unbelieveable. Way more than I imagined - and stories I can't tell - but God's work indeed . . . just unreal, yet again.

[ January 31, 2009, 06:41 PM: Message edited by: Jay Allen ]

--------------------
Jay Allen
ShawCraft Sign Co.
Machesney Park, IL
jallen222@aol.com

-Confucius

Catharine C. Kennedy
Resident

Member # 4459

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Catharine C. Kennedy   Email Catharine C. Kennedy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The link won't play nice... or maybe it's my machine?

--------------------
Catharine C. Kennedy
CCK Graphics
1511 Route 28
Chatham Center, NY 12184
cck1620@taconic.net
"Look at me,
Look at me, Look at me now!
I't's fun to have fun,
But you have to know how!"

Posts: 2173 | From: downtown Chatham Center, NY | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jay Allen
Resident

Member # 195

Cat . . . my bad, I was still logged in . . . I just linked a clean page that should work now. Some may have to sign up for PayPal first - but for those with existing accounts, the link should work now.

I'll be replying to each of the emails I got in the coming week . . .

--------------------
Jay Allen
ShawCraft Sign Co.
Machesney Park, IL
jallen222@aol.com

-Confucius

Doug Allan
Resident

Member # 2247

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Doug Allan   Author's Homepage   Email Doug Allan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
there you go... another drop in the bucket.
Lunch on me Don!

Be well!

--------------------
Doug Allan
http://www.islandsign.com

"you get what you settle for"

Posts: 8981 | From: Kahului, HI, USA | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Grundy
Resident

Member # 103

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Grundy   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Grundy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jay..I think that you are doing a good thing, trying to help Don out.

He is a very very talented guy, and does not really deserve what he is experiencing now. Nobody does.

I agree with Jon and Si's feeling however.

quote:
Spoken with Joey & Si on the subject a lot on Skpye since this thread started.

All three of us thinking same way. Money is not the solution!

Shirl and I have discussed, and agonised, what to do this time around and have decided that we have, over the years, already contributed enough, even monitarily, towards helping Don out.

Please do not think I am being negative here, We know Don, and have for many years. In fact it was me who introduced him to the Letterville website in the first place at the "Letterheads on Mainstreet" meet in Bloomington.

We echo Jon and Si's assessment...

"Money is not the solution!"

Sorry for your difficulties Don, we DO love you. But sometimes it takes hitting rock bottom to make one realise that he has to make changes, take life by the horns, and stand on his own two feet. All by himself.

Steve or Barb..if you think this is an inappropriate response feel free to delete it. But they are the thoughts of both Shirley and I.

--------------------
Dave Grundy
retired in Chelem,Yucatan,Mexico/Hensall,Ontario,Canada
1-519-262-3651 Canada
011-52-1-999-102-2923 Mexico cell
1-226-785-8957 Canada/Mexico home

dave.grundy@hotmail.com

Posts: 8886 | From: Chelem, Yucatan, Mexico/Hensall, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Laura Butler
Visitor
Member # 1830

Jay,
If someone wants to contribute but doesn't have a paypal account, it is quicker to send them an invoice. Without that, when they sign up for paypal, they will have to wait about 3-4 days to have paypal verify their account. By sending an invoice, the money can be sent right away.

--------------------
Laura Butler
Vision Graphics & Sign
4479 Welch Rd
Attica, Mi 48412

Jay Allen
Resident

Member # 195

Laura . . . perfect. Good idea, dear . . .

If somebody would like to do that, let me know and send the pertinent info like address, email address, name/business, etc. (take it off on your taxes!!) and I'll have my bookkeeper PDF an invoice to you . . .

That will seal the deal. I have enough to work with now - and the balance will trickle in.

Again, especially on a Sunday morning, God's blessings to you all for your compassion and humanity. Enjoy whatever wonderful thing karma brings your way from this . . . 'cause that's how it works . . . ya' just don't do it for the karma. Do it from the purity of your own true heart . . .

Have a great Super Bowl Sunday!!

--------------------
Jay Allen
ShawCraft Sign Co.
Machesney Park, IL
jallen222@aol.com

-Confucius

Bruce Bowers
Resident

Member # 892

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bruce Bowers   Email Bruce Bowers   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Donations made for this cause are NOT tax deductible. In order to be deductible, the entity receiving the funds must be a non-profit with sufficient status with the IRS to be be so recognized.

All monies given constitute nothing more than a gift. All giving money to Don is going to give is a warm feeling not that feeling that way is a bad thing...

--------------------
Bruce Bowers

DrCAS Custom Lettering and Design
Saint Cloud, Minnesota

"Things work out best for the people who make the best of the way things work out." - Art Linkletter

Posts: 6451 | From: Saint Cloud, Minnesota | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jay Allen
Resident

Member # 195

Bruce . . . yep, true. Legally, that's true . . .

An invoice would do no good except as a 'receipt' . . . but what about that spare change you drop in the Salvation Armies kettles at Christmas-time? Who really doesn't 'pad' that amount a lil' bit . . . ;-)

Do what your heart tells ya', right Bruce? (Thanks for the LinkedIn link - already passed it along to him)

Sign me,
Jay the Crooked Accountant ;-)

--------------------
Jay Allen
ShawCraft Sign Co.
Machesney Park, IL
jallen222@aol.com

-Confucius

John Deaton
Visitor
Member # 925

Icon 1 posted      Profile for John Deaton   Author's Homepage   Email John Deaton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good thing you are doing here Jay. Money may not be the solution, but it helps when you're down and out.

--------------------
Maker of fine signs and
other creative stuff.
Located at 109 N. Cumberland ave.
Harlan, Ky. 40831
606-837-0242

Posts: 4172 | From: Ages-Brookside, Ky. Up the Holler... | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bobbie Rochow
Resident

Member # 3341

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bobbie Rochow   Email Bobbie Rochow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Who defines when a person has hit rock bottom? Only the Lord knows. And to me, it doesn't matter whether I can write things off or not, it is the Lord Who sees it anyway.

The best time to to give to anyone is when you don't don't expect anything back from it.

oops. pressed edit button before I added...remember, Don never asked anyone for help, let alone criticism for his predicament.

[ February 02, 2009, 10:02 AM: Message edited by: Bobbie Rochow ]

--------------------
The Word in Signs
Bobbie Rochow
Jamestown, PA 16134

724-927-6471

thewordinsigns@alltel.net

Posts: 3485 | From: Jamestown, PA 16134 | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Laura Butler
Visitor
Member # 1830

So where are we at Jay? Are you in touch with Don?

--------------------
Laura Butler
Vision Graphics & Sign
4479 Welch Rd
Attica, Mi 48412

Jay Allen
Resident

Member # 195

Laura and others . . . I am in contact with Don. He's riding with the pastor of the homeless church to the bike shop today (that was the plan) and will pick one out. I will call and pay for it with my credit card - and then transfer the money to my account . . .

We're over (as you might imagine, Laura!!) the amount that is needed to get a good bike that'll fit Big Man . . . and he prefers to do the bike things for now. St. Pete is attractive - but he's heard they don't treat the homeless so well there - so for now - for now - he's staying in AL.

Bill Debekker's offer does sound good to Don - but he really wants to think on things for a short while longer. His gratitude to you all is unmeasurable. He is quite humbled by the generosity . . . ya' gotta like a guy with such courage in such a crappy siutation.

So that's the update - and I'll let you know what happens today. I told him to get a bright pink bike with lime green handgrips . . . keep somdbody from stealing it!!

I don't think they make pink bikes that size though . . . ;-)

I'll post more later. This has worked out great so far . . .

--------------------
Jay Allen
ShawCraft Sign Co.
Machesney Park, IL
jallen222@aol.com

-Confucius

Jay Allen
Resident

Member # 195

Ooops . . . Bobbie informed me that I failed to list my zip code for those mailing a check.

The Zip for Machesney Park is 61115

Sorry . . .

--------------------
Jay Allen
ShawCraft Sign Co.
Machesney Park, IL
jallen222@aol.com

-Confucius

Jay Allen
Resident

Member # 195

Hey!!! We just bought a new bike!!

Don got his bike - the guy gave him a great deal . . . replete with a luggage rack (so he deosn't abuse his back with a heavy backpack) a new headlight for night rides (in this case, early morning rides) - AND a super-strong-you-can't-steal-it bike lock . . .

Check that off the list . . . that also leaves Don some nice pocket money too. Temps supposed to get in the teens tomorrow - so even though warm days are ahead, there is still some 'unpleasantness' ahead.

So you all know how we did this, I just bought it with my debit card and will transfer the exact amount of the sale to my bank account. The balance of it I will probably get in a cashiers check and mail it to him - depending on the difficulty in doing that.

Karma reigns yet again . . . for those who are or have donated, just stop for one minute and put yourself in Don's situation. Think of walking along on that big ol' frame of his . . . sleeping on a cot . . . going out on the streets at 5 in the morning with the temps well below freezing.

God will surely reward you for helping ease that temporary suffering . . . I know I feel better for being the 'caretaker' of some amazing stories of understanding of Don's plight - that I won't ever be able to share with you . . . but suffice it to say, some here truly practice the whole concept of 'paying it forward' . . .

As for Don, I compromised his private conversations in emails by exposing this. I had to - but I will never do that again. He wanted to handle this alone. My big mouth just couldn't keep that quiet.

So I apologize publicly for my decision - but I, for one, feel it was well worth it.

--------------------
Jay Allen
ShawCraft Sign Co.
Machesney Park, IL
jallen222@aol.com

-Confucius

Raymond Chapman
Resident

Member # 361

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Raymond Chapman   Author's Homepage   Email Raymond Chapman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No apology necessary, Jay. You did what was right. Whenever the chips are down, I want you on my side. You're a good man.

--------------------
Chapman Sign Studio
Temple, Texas
chapmanstudio@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 6306 | From: Temple, Texas, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Jantz
Resident

Member # 6137

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jon Jantz   Author's Homepage   Email Jon Jantz       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jay, this might would be going a step too far.... but just an idea. Does Don have a Paypal account in his name? If not, maybe you could set him one up. Then you can request a Debit Card from Paypal that works exactly like a Visa card. It's free to use and you actually get a little cash back for using it....

That would make it easy for him to access his funds, and easy for more to be added at a later date if he gets in a pinch. Also, if he does design work for anyone, they could easily and quickly pay into the Paypal account, and the funds would be instantly available.

He can even go to an ATM and pull out cash from it, if he needs to...

Just an idea, and I think you did the right thing.....

--------------------
Jon Jantz
Snappysign.com
jjantz21@gmail.com
http://www.allcw.com

Posts: 3395 | From: Atmore, AL | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jay Allen
Resident

Member # 195

I asked that too, Jon . . . he said you need a 'real' email account - not Gmail as he uses - to set up a PayPal account. No permanent address, no go, I guess.

If someone knows of a better, more efficient way, please post it . . . that would be easiest for everyone I think . . .

And thanks so much for the kind words, Ray . . . but it was a GROUP effort . . . not just one person. No credit just to me is deserved. All I did was type a post . . . and betray Don's confidence!! (OK, that last part wasn't cool - but it worked!!)

I am ONE of a group of truly compassionate people . . . and proud to be one of that group. In this world we tend to deify one person too often - even when it 'takes a village' as it did here. I like 'team play' much better than going solo . . . but I get your point, too, Ray . . .

And right back at ya' Ray - I'd prefer you be on my side too!!

--------------------
Jay Allen
ShawCraft Sign Co.
Machesney Park, IL
jallen222@aol.com

-Confucius

Jay Allen
Resident

Member # 195

Jon,

I re-read your post . . . I think I might have misunderstood the second part . . . maybe I could be the caretaker of that kind of account . . . I'd just have to mail Don the debit card . . .

Hmmm . . . I might have to go read the PayPal 'rules' to see what can be done . . .

--------------------
Jay Allen
ShawCraft Sign Co.
Machesney Park, IL
jallen222@aol.com

-Confucius

Jon Jantz
Resident

Member # 6137

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jon Jantz   Author's Homepage   Email Jon Jantz       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jay, I'm sure we could also come up with a 'real' email address for Don. My web hoster gives 2,500 free email addresses that I can assign with any of the 50 domains that I own.

He can then add his Gmail account as the secondary email address and still use it to log in, send or receive money, etc.

Another way would be for you to set up an account and list him as a secondary member, but I don't know if they'd send a debit card in HIS name then....

--------------------
Jon Jantz
Snappysign.com
jjantz21@gmail.com
http://www.allcw.com

Posts: 3395 | From: Atmore, AL | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Curtis hammond
Visitor
Member # 2170

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Curtis hammond   Email Curtis hammond   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Pay pal charges outrageous fees to do this stuff.

--------------------
Leaper of Tall buildings.. If you find my posts divisive or otherwise snarky please ignore them. If you do not know how then PM me about it and I will demonstrate.

Posts: 5274 | From: Im a nowhere man | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Butterworth
Deceased

Member # 227

Jon set up a Domain etc for Don. Jay use the money to pay Don's ISP wireless ISP connection .... I will get him a job he can sit on a park bench doing off a frigging laptop!

--------------------
Bushie^
aka Jon Butterworth

Executive Director
HARDLY NORMAL
SIGN COMPANY

Jay Allen
Resident

Member # 195

OK, good friends . . . almost done - though I'll see a few straggler donations come in still I bet . . . I'll send a last check later when it's all here.

Don has his new bike - with saddle bags and a super-deluxe bike lock. He sent a picture he took with his laptop and DANG! is that seat up high!!

Don' is being watched over by Pastor Sherry - she took him to the bike shop, etc. - and is the mailing address I am sending a personal check to - so Don will have the balance of the funds . . . and the balance is pretty healthy even after buying a bike!!

So for those who contributed . . . no matter the amount, it was in your heart to reach out and help a brother in trouble. I find myself shaking my head at the sadness in the world - while simultaneously nodding my head for the good I see in people . . .

How can a world so full of horrendous behaviors be so full of compassion when needed? The big mystery . . .

All of us with homes or families who are close by us - take a moment to say a short prayer for Don and others who find themselves in dire straits . . . new opportunities are headed Don's way - but the good will from afar sure can't hurt.

Thanks for letting me be the 'caretaker' with this little fundraiser - and for trusting me with your donations . . . needless to say, all of the monies are going to Don . . . and all of you will be hearing from Don personally.

He's got da' list of y'all who gave . . .

Don . . . I know you'll read this . . . you sure have a pretty swell list of friends and supporters . . . please remember that.

--------------------
Jay Allen
ShawCraft Sign Co.
Machesney Park, IL
jallen222@aol.com

-Confucius

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!