Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » Terribly off-topic...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Terribly off-topic...
Bec Bermudez
Visitor
Member # 8219

Icon 12 posted      Profile for Bec Bermudez   Author's Homepage   Email Bec Bermudez   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
... but look at our new PUPPY we got yesterday!!!

Can I justify posting by saying that I traded building a website for her? [Razz]

You can check it out at www.himalayandog.com

-

We've been visiting the litter since they were 3 weeks old and just had to wait for the holidays to be over to bring her home. She'll be 12 weeks old tomorrow. She is VERY smart - she can already sit!

This is from when she was about 5 weeks old...

-

--------------------
Bec "Phoebe's Mom" Bermudez
Sawatzky's Imagination Corporation
Yarrow, BC

Posts: 103 | From: Yarrow, BC | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Donna in BC
Resident

Member # 130

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Donna in BC   Author's Homepage   Email Donna in BC   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Congrats! She even looks smart! What's her name?

--------------------
Donna Williams
Funky Junk Interiors
Yarrow, BC Canada
donna@funkyjunkinteriors.net

~ Check out the newest junk at ~ http://funkyjunkinteriors.net/

Posts: 5630 | From: Yarrow, BC Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bec Bermudez
Visitor
Member # 8219

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bec Bermudez   Author's Homepage   Email Bec Bermudez   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Her name is "Ever"! I've always loved that name, in fact that was almost Phoebe's name! Haha. However it fits here because it's short for Mt. Everest - the tallest peak in the Himalayas!

--------------------
Yarrow, BC

Posts: 103 | From: Yarrow, BC | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bruce Bowers
Resident

Member # 892

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bruce Bowers   Email Bruce Bowers   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Himalayan Sheep Dog? Looks more like a Himasittin' Sheep Dog to me... LOL!

Cute pup!

--------------------
Bruce Bowers

DrCAS Custom Lettering and Design
Saint Cloud, Minnesota

"Things work out best for the people who make the best of the way things work out." - Art Linkletter

Posts: 6451 | From: Saint Cloud, Minnesota | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dana Bowers
Resident

Member # 780

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dana Bowers   Author's Homepage   Email Dana Bowers   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Never heard of the breed! It sounds like there is no standard for them - are they registered anywhere?

Interesting to see different, uncommon breeds. That's what I like about IABCA and UKC shows!

My newest intrigues are the Podengo Pequeno and the Norwegian Lundehund!

Congrats on the new puppy!!

--------------------
Dana Ferry
St Cloud, MN

Posts: 1556 | From: St Cloud, MN | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Duncan Wilkie
Resident

Member # 132

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Duncan Wilkie   Author's Homepage   Email Duncan Wilkie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Congratulations, Ever is a great looking pup. Full grown, she should be about the same size as your horses. [Smile]

--------------------
Duncan Wilkie
aka signdog
http://www.comsign.ca
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

Posts: 4351 | From: Edmonton, Alberta, Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bec Bermudez
Visitor
Member # 8219

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bec Bermudez   Author's Homepage   Email Bec Bermudez   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
LOL Bruce!

Dana - it takes many years to create a stable gene-pool by importing, then adopting a breed standard and then getting set up with the Kennel Clubs. Once you are set up you have to close your stud-book, so you've got to have your gene pool imported first. I figure it will take 10 - 20 years being "illegitimate" until that point, in order to get enough dogs involved. ;-) It is not cheap to import! I may get involved in that aspect of it in a few years. Not with Ever though. I would import a breeding pair.

These dogs are registerable in India. They are one of four breeds recently featured on postage stamps there.

My friend is utterly infatuated with Podengos and has been for years - they are really neat!

Duncan - yep! She'll be overtaking Mulligan in a couple months I think! Hahaha.

--------------------
Yarrow, BC

Jon Butterworth
Deceased

Member # 227

Icon 10 posted      Profile for Jon Butterworth   Email Jon Butterworth   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cute dog! And daughter too of course! [Smile]

I was born in Simila India, 7000ft ft up in the Himilayas! Never heard of that breed or even seeing anything like it in old family photos.
New one on me!

We did have a "Tibetain Terrier" tho. Coat so thick and long you could not figure out which end was which until she barked!

Great watch-dog tho, like all Terriers.

--------------------
Bushie^
aka Jon Butterworth

Executive Director
HARDLY NORMAL
SIGN COMPANY

http://www.icr.com.au/~jonsigns

Posts: 4014 | From: Toowoomba, Queensland, Australia | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bec Bermudez
Visitor
Member # 8219

That's cool Jon!

They are commonly known as Bhutias, or Bhotias way up there and come in a full-coat variety more common in the mountains of course. (Ever will likely be a smooth and there is a silky too.) This is Ever's dad, Cricket. He is right from India and has a full coat, does he seem more familiar?...

-

--------------------
Yarrow, BC

Donna in BC
Resident

Member # 130

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Donna in BC   Author's Homepage   Email Donna in BC   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I knew it would be a cool name complete with deep meaning. [Smile] I like it!

Among unique names, I've always liked Seven. Heard it first on Seinfeld. That would be my deep meaning. Sad huh?

--------------------
Donna Williams
Funky Junk Interiors
Yarrow, BC Canada
donna@funkyjunkinteriors.net

~ Check out the newest junk at ~ http://funkyjunkinteriors.net/

Posts: 5630 | From: Yarrow, BC Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Butterworth
Deceased

Member # 227

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jon Butterworth   Email Jon Butterworth   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, starts to ring bells. Think our neighbours back in those days had one.. Very smart and loveable! Loved kids!

Winter coat is even longer than that picture tho. 6ft of snow outside the day I was born!

--------------------
Bushie^
aka Jon Butterworth

Executive Director
HARDLY NORMAL
SIGN COMPANY

Posts: 4014 | From: Toowoomba, Queensland, Australia | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike Pipes
Visitor
Member # 1573

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike Pipes   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Pipes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmmm...

I know that look.... this pup is gonna have attitude, good thing she has cuteness going for her! [Smile]

--------------------
"If I share all my wisdom I won't have any left for myself."

Mike Pipes
stickerpimp.com
Lake Havasu, AZ
mike@stickerpimp.com

Posts: 8746 | From: Lake Havasu, AZ USA | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rusty Bradley
Resident

Member # 6938

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rusty Bradley   Email Rusty Bradley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Speaking of puppies...these 3 little guys were found abandoned under an old cabin in the woods...as of this morning they are now dry, warm, fed and waiting for permanent homes through the High Forest Humane Society.

--------------------
Rusty Bradley
Bradley Sign Studio
100 Creekview Road
Summertown, Tn. 38483

Posts: 2179 | From: Summertown, Tennessee | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rusty Bradley
Resident

Member # 6938

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rusty Bradley   Email Rusty Bradley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

--------------------
Rusty Bradley
Bradley Sign Studio
100 Creekview Road
Summertown, Tn. 38483

Posts: 2179 | From: Summertown, Tennessee | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stephen Deveau
Visitor
Member # 1305

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stephen Deveau         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not being a dog lover,
I have to say that 'Ever' looks like a good family dog.

As you see,
I favour a
'Russian Blue Cat'

--------------------
Stephen Deveau
RavenGraphics
Insinx Digital Displays

Letting Your Imagination Run Wild!

Posts: 4327 | From: Lower Sackville, Nova Scotia, Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dana Bowers
Resident

Member # 780

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dana Bowers   Author's Homepage   Email Dana Bowers   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The long coated one has a resemblance to the Tibetan Mastiff a bit!

Good luck with her!!

--------------------
Dana Ferry
St Cloud, MN

Posts: 1556 | From: St Cloud, MN | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bec Bermudez
Visitor
Member # 8219

Thanks!

Yes, they are related to, and sometimes mistaken for, Tibetan Mastiffs. That really irks the TM breeders though! Hahaha. The TM is likely the ancestor of all Molossar breeds. I would not necessarily categorize the Himalayan Sheepdog as a mMolossar though... they are much lighter-framed.

--------------------
Yarrow, BC

Jon Butterworth
Deceased

Member # 227

Icon 7 posted      Profile for Jon Butterworth   Email Jon Butterworth   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Unfortunately dogs of any breed in the Himilayan foothills are top fodder for tigers and leopards!

Mum used to say when our terrier dived under the bed there was a leopard in the garden!

Another story she told me was how her friend was walking her dog down the mountain track and ended up pulling an empty leash! Leopard was that quick!

But the women always took a dog walking with them. Monkeys were bad news but never took on a lady with a dog!

Final flashback from my youth! ...

My father's good friend, Jim Corbett, was contracted to the Indian Government to shoot "man-eating" tigers. I have the book he wrote ... "Man-Eaters of Kumaon". Dad painted the cover for it. Fancinating reading and photos. The "The Champawat man-eater" took over 200 souls in Nepal and added another 234 in the fours years in India before Jim finally got her.! Turned out the tigeress was partly lame and humans don't run as fast as deer!

Bec ... here is a scan from the book of Jim's hunting Dog Robin ....breed look familiar?

-

Think the botom pic shows more of her winter coat.

Other world and many many years ago. 1945!

PS: For you "gun nuts" ... anybody out hunting pheasents in those days had a solid shot in the left barrel of the 12 guage ... just in case [Wink]

[ January 05, 2009, 08:52 AM: Message edited by: Jon Butterworth ]

--------------------
Bushie^
aka Jon Butterworth

Executive Director
HARDLY NORMAL
SIGN COMPANY

Rusty Bradley
Resident

Member # 6938

Dana...we are not up on breed identification like you guys are...so we are not sure...but my wife who has rescued everything from a woodcock to a turkey vulture to a starving artist...that would be me...thought it might have alot of Great Peramiese...they are very popular in our area and they all had doubledew claws. [I Don t Know]

--------------------
Rusty Bradley
Bradley Sign Studio
100 Creekview Road
Summertown, Tn. 38483

Dana Bowers
Resident

Member # 780

No, the Great Pyrenees are a larger livestock guardian breed, similar to Kuvasz, Maremma and Akbash, and are usually solid white, or maybe a little off white.

They are used for sheep guardians mostly, hence the need to blend in with the sheep in coloring!

I believe they originated in France an extremely long time ago, and are not members of the mastiff family. But I am not very up on the breed.

Its hard when you get into the rarely seen, but old breeds of dogs from other countries. The Lundehunds started out that way.

--------------------
Dana Ferry
St Cloud, MN

Jon Butterworth
Deceased

Member # 227

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jon Butterworth   Email Jon Butterworth   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So what do you figure "Robin" is Dana?

I know they are very old photos which makes it harder.

Top pic looks like she has been shorn for the summer heat even in the Himilayas.

Bottom pic looks more winter and very "spaniel" but heavier.

Jim says in his book he never knew what breed and just rescued a runt from a litter.

?

--------------------
Bushie^
aka Jon Butterworth

Executive Director
HARDLY NORMAL
SIGN COMPANY

Dana Bowers
Resident

Member # 780

The bottom photo looks very old time Springer or Welsh Spaniel.

I tried to do a quick google search for some historic drawings, and came up with these...

Springer
 -

Welsh
 -

--------------------
Dana Ferry
St Cloud, MN

Jon Butterworth
Deceased

Member # 227

The old "springer" looks right Dana ... thanks.

Robin looks a bit heavier tho. especially thru the chest. Not a pure breed .... something else in there also.

From Jim's writings she has "spaniel" traits too. I called her his "gun dog" but she was more his "tracker" and alarm system!

Jim's book is available on the net,page by page. Just google Jim Corbett or Man-Eaters of Kumaon.
He was not a "hunter" but what we call a "naturalist" nowdays. Awsome reading.

--------------------
Bushie^
aka Jon Butterworth

Executive Director
HARDLY NORMAL
SIGN COMPANY

Bec Bermudez
Visitor
Member # 8219

Hi!

Jon... here is a picture that a friend of mine took in a village in the Himalayas. The dog has a very wide metal collar on, in order to protect it from leopard attacks!

http://content.breederoo.com/users/HimalayanSheepdog/images/photos/gallery/2179463-thumb.jpg?2

[ January 07, 2009, 01:28 PM: Message edited by: Bec Bermudez ]

--------------------
Yarrow, BC

Bec Bermudez
Visitor
Member # 8219

... oh ya... and I can't believe the SIZE of that tiger!!! Holy smokes!!!

--------------------
Yarrow, BC

Jon Butterworth
Deceased

Member # 227

Link to that pick won't load for me Bec [Frown] E-mail please?

Size of tiger? Medium, but rare .... VERY large Tigress! Took nearly 500 humans to make her that big, plus her cubs!

Wanna see size a MALE Jim had to shoot?:

Jim Corbett's book is well worth a read on the net! Just google.

--------------------
Bushie^
aka Jon Butterworth

Executive Director
HARDLY NORMAL
SIGN COMPANY

Bec Bermudez
Visitor
Member # 8219

Hey Jon... I can't email from here... but you can see the picture on the "Photos" page at www.himalayandog.com

[Smile]

--------------------
Yarrow, BC

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!