Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » Ever crack a rib?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Ever crack a rib?
Neil D. Butler
Resident

Member # 661

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Neil D. Butler   Email Neil D. Butler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
While sneezing? Honest to God, here I was last week talking about out warm weather and the extremes in temperature.... well I had to go to the Doctor the other day because of the flu, nasty stuff here at the shop. 3 guys had strepped throat... so when I had the first sign of the flu, you know that itchy throat, I went to the Doctor... he gave me Anti Biotics... well I fought off the sore throat but still got congestion and sneezing.. and while I had a sneeze fit lsat night, I swear I think I cracked a rib... the Pain is almost unbearable now when I move a certain way or when I cough.. and even worse when I sneeze.. Has anyone ever craked a rib or ripped a tendon when doing that?

I don't think there's any need to go to the doctor... I don't think there's anything you can do about it any way.. but man it hursts! I'm such a pussy!

--------------------
"Keep Positive"

SIGNS1st.
Neil Butler
Paradise, NF

Posts: 6277 | From: St. John's NF Canada | Registered: Mar 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ken Henry
Visitor
Member # 598

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ken Henry   Email Ken Henry   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Neil. Sorry to hear you're not feeling the greatest. It sounds like you may have torn your diaphram from the wall of your ribcage during your coughing. That could become serious, and should be seen by a doctor. The possibility of cracking a rib is unlikley, since it does take a good deal of force for that to occur.

Have a doctor look at this right away. If it's serious, they will prescribe the correct treatment, but then again, it may be no more serious than mental illness.

--------------------
Ken Henry
Henry & Henry Signs
London, Ontario Canada
(519) 439-1881
e-mail: kjmlhenry@rogers.com

Why do I get all those on-line offers to sell me Viagara, when the only thing hardening is my arteries ?

Posts: 2684 | From: London,Ontario, Canada | Registered: Feb 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ray Rheaume
Resident

Member # 3794

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ray Rheaume   Email Ray Rheaume   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No harm in having yourself checked out, Neil.

I cracked a rib back in August from a coughing fit from a summer flu. Hurts like hell when you still are coughing for a few more days.

Feel better, dude!
Rapid

[ December 19, 2008, 09:14 AM: Message edited by: Ray Rheaume ]

--------------------
Ray Rheaume
Rapidfire Design
543 Brushwood Road
North Haverhill, NH 03774
rapidfiredesign@hotmail.com
603-787-6803

I like my paint shaken, not stirred.

Posts: 5648 | From: North Haverhill, New Hampshire | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tony Vickio
Resident

Member # 2265

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tony Vickio   Author's Homepage   Email Tony Vickio   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Broke many ribs over the years in racing accidents and they hurt like hell!!!

My friend broke two ribs last year coughing! I was there.

You can't put a cast on it so you have to suck it up!

Cracked Ribs from sneezing!

--------------------
Tony Vickio
The World Famous Vickio Signs
3364 Rt.329
Watkins Glen, NY 14891
t30v@vickiosigns.com
607-535-6241
http://www.vickiosigns.com

Posts: 1063 | From: Watkins Glen, New York | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Sherby
Resident

Member # 698

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Sherby   Email Dave Sherby   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I cracked 2 ribs coming home from bowling one night. This was when I was very involved in competitive bowling and carried 4 balls. I had one double ball bag slung over my shoulder and pushed behind my back. I was carrying the other double ball bag in my hand. I knew there was sheer ice just before my porch. My wife had spread salt and I thought I reached the salted part of the sidewalk and stopped taking baby steps. Both feet went out from under me, flying forward. I went horizontal, the bag over my shoulder hit the ground first, then I landed right on the bowling balls, square on my back. I laid there for a minute trying to catch my breath. I managed to get up to start looking for the house keys. My keys in the other hand went flying up in the air and fell into the snow. Luckily it was a fresh snow and I could see the hole in the snow where the house keys went in. My wife wasn't going to be home for an hour. I was lucky that I could move enough to get in the house in the 0 degree weather. Ribs hurt like hell for about 3 weeks.

As for your sneeze, my advise would also be to see a doctor. There is a bunch of stuff you could have tore or detached if it's not broken ribs.

--------------------
Dave Sherby
"Sandman"
SherWood Sign & Graphic Design
Crystal Falls, MI 49920
906-875-6201
sherwoodsign@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 5401 | From: Crystal Falls, MI USA | Registered: Apr 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Neil D. Butler
Resident

Member # 661

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Neil D. Butler   Email Neil D. Butler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks Guys.. it seems to be subsiding just a bit... I think I may wait ubtil Saturday and see if it's not getting any better. It does'nt hurt to Breath except a little when I take an extra Big Breath.

Tony that link is funny, just because the guy who's asking the question name is Neil.

But that's exactly whay I experienced.

--------------------
"Keep Positive"

SIGNS1st.
Neil Butler
Paradise, NF

Posts: 6277 | From: St. John's NF Canada | Registered: Mar 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
David Harding
Resident

Member # 108

Icon 1 posted      Profile for David Harding   Author's Homepage   Email David Harding   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In 1992, I got the flu which turned to pneumonia within three days. I snapped a rib in my back coughing and could feel the ends grinding as I continued coughing and was hospitalized for several days because breathing was excruciating. Once I got out, I dislocated four more ribs coughing and a week or so later, tore a bunch of cartilage in my chest coughing. I was down for the count for two months (and almost permanently) and in the hospital three times. That two months was the most miserable experience of my life.

The ribs didn't heal properly and I've got scoliosis (sideways curvature of the spine and back problems) as a result.

I've gotten a flu shot every year since and have gotten a pneumonia shot, but I've still managed to get the flu and pneumonia since.

Believe me, I can empathize.

--------------------
David Harding
A Sign of Excellence
Carrollton, TX

Posts: 5095 | From: Carrollton, TX, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Si Allen
Resident

Member # 420

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Si Allen   Email Si Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When I sneeze...the windows rattle and the cats run and hide...but never cracked a rib that way.

Back in 1967 had a 10 foot, 4 inch diameter pipe fall on me...broke 2 ribs in my back. As a result, I can fully symphatize with you!

Hope you heal fast!

--------------------
Si Allen #562
La Mirada, CA. USA

(714) 521-4810

si.allen on Skype

siallen@dslextreme.com

"SignPainters do It with Longer Strokes!"

Never mess with your profile while in a drunken stupor!!!

Brushasaurus on Chat

Posts: 8831 | From: La Mirada, CA, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wayne Webb
Resident

Member # 1124

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wayne Webb   Author's Homepage   Email Wayne Webb   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not from sneezing. But I've come within an inch of blacking out from LAUGHING a few times.

I fell off a truck onto a stack of oak lumber once... the corner of the stack caught me right in the ribs. It hurt so bad I think it must have broken a couple. But the doc said there was nothing to do but let them heal on their own.
But if I were you, I would go to the doctor to make sure.

--------------------
Wayne Webb
Webb Signworks
Chipley, FL
wayne@webbsignworks.com

Posts: 7404 | From: Chipley,Florida,United States | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
old paint
Visitor
Member # 549

Icon 1 posted      Profile for old paint   Email old paint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
one of the 1st broken bones i ever had was 3 ribs, onthe lower left side front, my father punched me with a hard right,(i was 13) never seen a doctor, but was in pain for about a month. as soon as it healed, i started learning to BOX. after that only thing i ever had broke was 3 knuckles. that had to be in a cast. i had 3 guys jump me at one time when i was 19, and suffered no broken bones....but couple of them DID)))))).

--------------------
joe pribish-A SIGN MINT
2811 longleaf Dr.
pensacola, fl 32526
850-637-1519
BEWARE THE TRUTH.....YOU MAY NOT LIKE WHAT YOU FIND

Posts: 11582 | From: pensacola, fl. usa | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stephen Deveau
Visitor
Member # 1305

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stephen Deveau         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have cracked my back twice.

Would you like to see how I walk!

[ December 19, 2008, 04:05 PM: Message edited by: Stephen Deveau ]

--------------------
Stephen Deveau
RavenGraphics
Insinx Digital Displays

Letting Your Imagination Run Wild!

Posts: 4327 | From: Lower Sackville, Nova Scotia, Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Jantz
Resident

Member # 6137

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jon Jantz   Author's Homepage   Email Jon Jantz       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Neil, hope you get to feeling better. I've been very lucky in my life. I've been hurt quite a few times but have never broken a bone or been in the hospital... (KNOCK KNOCK KNOCK!!!) I've had plenty of chances though.

When I was younger, I fell about 30 foot out of a tree, off the back of a pickup that was being driven down a dirt road, off a combine (harvester) onto the concrete.. (13-14' - was walking around the edge of the bin)... have fallen off a steel building onto the concrete (12-13'), had an 8' ladder collapse while I was standing on the top step, and flipped a racing kart about 5 times down the front straight-away after getting turned into the wall at about 70 mph. All I can say is I guess all those Fruity Pebbles and milk must have paid off.... I gots strong bones.

/I'm fully expecting to break my wrist tomorrow in some kind of freak computer mouse accident.

--------------------
Jon Jantz
Snappysign.com
jjantz21@gmail.com
http://www.allcw.com

Posts: 3395 | From: Atmore, AL | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Doug Allan
Resident

Member # 2247

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Doug Allan   Author's Homepage   Email Doug Allan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
wow Jon... you;ve lived pretty hard for no broken bones, my first break was a wrist playing baseball, then a finger playing baseball... then separated a rib (just as painful as a break... believe me, I know) snowboarding, then broke an elbow snowboarding, then broke a rib surfing (yep, pretty darn painful, and nothing to do about it)...

...and in my freak computer mouse accident, I dozed off browsing Letterville late one night, foot fell asleep too & cramped up sideways... I woke up & decide to walk to bed, and put all my weight down on the tingling sleeping foot that I thought was placed properly on the ground, instead of cramped up sideways... man, crutches suck!

--------------------
Doug Allan
http://www.islandsign.com

"you get what you settle for"

Posts: 8981 | From: Kahului, HI, USA | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Jantz
Resident

Member # 6137

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jon Jantz   Author's Homepage   Email Jon Jantz       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Doug, I had some gawd-awful cuts, scrapes and bruises to show for all that..... funny thing is, I had a cousin who had broken bones different times... I always thought he was COOL and actually wished I could break a leg so I could have a cast and use crutches.....

And the snowboarding thing reminds me... I learned a hard lesson on a Black Diamond slope on the second night I ever went snow-skiing, when my confidence got way ahead of my abilities... that was about 5 years ago.

/maybe I did break stuff
//and was just too dumb to realize it.... [I Don t Know]

[ December 20, 2008, 12:46 AM: Message edited by: Jon Jantz ]

--------------------
Jon Jantz
Snappysign.com
jjantz21@gmail.com
http://www.allcw.com

Posts: 3395 | From: Atmore, AL | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
old paint
Visitor
Member # 549

Icon 1 posted      Profile for old paint   Email old paint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i got pinched between an autocar truck(back end of it)and the front end of an R-2 BULLDOZER. the only thing touching the blade was ME....and he truck moved the little dozer backward bout 18".....before he got the thing off me. was gona pull start the dozer, with the big truck....was on a downhill slope, and the big truck had air brakes....so when i heard hin hit the brakes...YOU KNOW THAT air sound, i stepped in between to hook up the chain...only problem was not enough air pressure....when he stepped on the brake to stop it thats all there was!!!!
i wounf up in the emergency room, had XRAYS from knees to shoulders...AND NOTHING BROKE...

--------------------
joe pribish-A SIGN MINT
2811 longleaf Dr.
pensacola, fl 32526
850-637-1519
BEWARE THE TRUTH.....YOU MAY NOT LIKE WHAT YOU FIND

Posts: 11582 | From: pensacola, fl. usa | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Neil D. Butler
Resident

Member # 661

Jon.. is your middle name "Wild E Coyote" lol..

Yes this morning I'm feeling much better.. still sore but not nearly as bad as yesterday.

Thanks for all the concern.

--------------------
"Keep Positive"

SIGNS1st.
Neil Butler
Paradise, NF

Tony Ray Mattingly
Resident

Member # 469

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tony Ray Mattingly   Author's Homepage   Email Tony Ray Mattingly   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You name it, I've broke it.

Nose, fighting
arm, football
ribs, car fell on me
back, same as above
fingers, fighting
hand, fighting
heel, jumping out of a swing (just a kid).

--------------------
Tony Mattingly
www.signgrafix.com
www.nostalgic-signworks.com
Louisville Ky
tony@signgrafix.com

Posts: 301 | From: Louisville Ky. USA | Registered: Jan 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Doug Allan
Resident

Member # 2247

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Doug Allan   Author's Homepage   Email Doug Allan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
oh yeah... forgot about the tree swing break

--------------------
Doug Allan
http://www.islandsign.com

"you get what you settle for"

Posts: 8981 | From: Kahului, HI, USA | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Santo
Visitor
Member # 411

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Santo   Email Santo   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Be careful here, when the ribs are bruised or a cracked rib causes pain when normally breathing, the tendancy to take shallow breaths can aid in the formation of fluid in the lungs and pnuenomia can set in.

Edited because grammer is not a realtime function.

[ December 21, 2008, 09:59 AM: Message edited by: Santo ]

--------------------
Santo Brocato
Promotion Graphics & Letters
Spring, TX

Posts: 2501 | From: Spring, TX USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kimberly Zanetti
Visitor
Member # 2546

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kimberly Zanetti   Author's Homepage   Email Kimberly Zanetti   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just listening to all of you brings back painful memories. Went skiing in high school in NY State. Took a major tumble and my ski came up and jammed me between two ribs and cracked them. Nothing quite so painful as skiing back down a long ski run with broken ribs and then to sit on the bus for hours driving back to NJ.

--------------------
Kimberly Zanetti Purcell
www.amethystProductivity.com
Folsom, CA
email: Kimberly@AmethystProductivity.com

“Organizing is what you do before you do something, so that when you do it, it is not all mixed up.” AA Milne

Posts: 3722 | From: Folsom, CA | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jack wills
Resident

Member # 521

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jack wills   Email jack wills   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cracked a safe once...

Merry Christmas
Jack

--------------------
Jack Wills
Studio Design Works
1465 E.Hidalgo Circle
Nye Beach / Newport, OR

Posts: 2914 | From: Rocklin, CA. USA | Registered: Dec 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
David Harding
Resident

Member # 108

Icon 1 posted      Profile for David Harding   Author's Homepage   Email David Harding   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've broken something like twenty three bones in my life, including fracturing my neck on a trampoline. I have broken ribs a couple times playing touch football, once from a collision, and the other from landing on the ball after making a diving catch.

People say: "You must have weak bones." I reply: "There's nothing wrong with my bones, I just have a weak mind." That's because I still go out and play football and basketball at age 56.

I used to tell people I'd never broken my left hand or my right foot, but I've done both of them in the last four years. I've never gotten a fracture saving a kid from a speeding car or working, it always seems to be playing, although I did break a finger on my left hand trying to keep my grandson from falling off a rock.

I've broken my right hand and wrist seven times. We even found an old fracture there I wasn't aware of while getting X rays for a different one.

When I took up flying, some friends asked: "Why do you want to fly? You break all those bones." I answered, "Flying gives me a chance to break them all at once."

I've gone a couple of years now fracture free, which is a pretty long stretch for me, although I did severely bruise my tailbone a couple months ago sliding down a slide with one grandkid in my lap and the other on my back. My feet slipped out at the bottom and I got slammed on the hard ground with 80 pounds of grandkid on me. As I lay on the ground taking inventory of what hurt, they popped up, shouting: "Grandpa, let's do it again." For the present, I'm retired from big playground slides.

--------------------
David Harding
A Sign of Excellence
Carrollton, TX

Posts: 5095 | From: Carrollton, TX, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Michael Boone
Deceased

Member # 308

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Michael Boone     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I never broke a rib..
but I had a buddy that kissed a Cockatoo.......

--------------------
Michael Boone
Sign Painter
5828 Buerman Rd.Sodus,NY 14551

Posts: 3223 | From: Sodus,NY,USA | Registered: Dec 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!