Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » Surface Gilded Trivets?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Surface Gilded Trivets?
Bobbie Rochow
Resident

Member # 3341

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bobbie Rochow   Email Bobbie Rochow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I posted this on another forum, hope I can get some advice....

I have some pieces of ceramic tile used for walls, about 5" square each. Have you ever heard of anyone making trivets out of them? You know, hot plates for dinner on the table? I am wondering if surface gilding would hold up under the heat. Also, the One Shot paint itslelf. Would it hold up as well? They would make nice gifts, I am thinking.

--------------------
The Word in Signs
Bobbie Rochow
Jamestown, PA 16134

724-927-6471

thewordinsigns@alltel.net

Posts: 3485 | From: Jamestown, PA 16134 | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elaine Beauchemin
Resident

Member # 136

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Elaine Beauchemin   Author's Homepage   Email Elaine Beauchemin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
it's an old post...may help or not.
http://www.letterville.com/ubb-cgi/ultimatebb.cgi/topic/1/37693.html?#000000

--------------------
Élaine Beauchemin
scrip
Lettrage Scripsit inc.
St-Hubert, Quebec, Canada
www.scripsit.net

Posts: 1096 | From: Saint-Hubert, Québec, Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Sherby
Resident

Member # 698

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Sherby   Email Dave Sherby   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The heat shouldn't be a problem. One shot can get hotter in the sun on a summer day than your pot will. Think about it, your food is served around 140 degrees at most. The pot would cool down to that in a few minutes off the stove.

Gilding would scratch too easy unless you put a durable clear coat over it like an automotive clear. Remember how hot a car can get in the summer sun. You don't see the clear melting off that.

On the post Elaine linked to, he was using copper leaf. Quite a bit thicker than gold. Might hold up.

--------------------
Dave Sherby
"Sandman"
SherWood Sign & Graphic Design
Crystal Falls, MI 49920
906-875-6201
sherwoodsign@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 5406 | From: Crystal Falls, MI USA | Registered: Apr 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Michael Boone
Deceased

Member # 308

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Michael Boone     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bushie did it

--------------------
Michael Boone
Sign Painter
5828 Buerman Rd.Sodus,NY 14551

Posts: 3223 | From: Sodus,NY,USA | Registered: Dec 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bobbie Rochow
Resident

Member # 3341

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bobbie Rochow   Email Bobbie Rochow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I remember that post, Elaine, but the difference is, this would be 23 K gold, yes, cleared with 2 part automotive clear. And I would not be using slate tile, but ceramic tile.

Where's Bushie & Ian? I am wondering how the heat affected their work.....

--------------------
The Word in Signs
Bobbie Rochow
Jamestown, PA 16134

724-927-6471

Posts: 3485 | From: Jamestown, PA 16134 | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ian Stewart-Koster
Resident

Member # 3500

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ian Stewart-Koster   Author's Homepage   Email Ian Stewart-Koster   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bobbie, it wasn't me, it was Jon, and he used variegated leaf & gave them away, so the recipients might know, but I don't.

I did gild slate that I'd carved, but the gold was down inside the incised lettering, not on top of the flat surface.

Ceramic tiles- I haven't worked with, but a wipe with ESP by Flood company would help.

--------------------
"Stewey" on chat

"...there are no limits when you aim for perfection..." Jonathan Livingston Seagull

Posts: 7014 | From: Highgrove via Toowoomba, Queensland, Australia | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeff Ogden
Resident

Member # 3184

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jeff Ogden   Email Jeff Ogden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How about sandblasted the design/letters into the tile, then painting inside the incised areas?

--------------------
Jeff Ogden
8727 NE 68 Terr.
Gainesville FL, 32609

Posts: 2138 | From: 8827 NE 68 Terr Gainesville Fl 32609 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bobbie Rochow
Resident

Member # 3341

That is exactly what I was thinking too, Jeff! Thanks to all of you!

--------------------
The Word in Signs
Bobbie Rochow
Jamestown, PA 16134

724-927-6471

Rich Hawthorne
Visitor
Member # 7483

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rich Hawthorne     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, I've done several dozen ceramic tiles but have not gilded them. I sandblasted the design and with the mask still in place airbrush painted it with 1-shot paint. The trick is to not blast through the glaze on the tile so that if it gets wet, the moisture will not destroy the integrity of the tile. Put some felt on the back with spray adhesive and you are good to go. Hope that helps.

--------------------
Rich Hawthorne
Clearview Artworks
Portland, Oregon USA

Posts: 6 | From: Portland, Oregon USA | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joey Madden
Resident

Member # 1192

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joey Madden   Author's Homepage   Email Joey Madden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Remember this stuff

PELUCID™ is one of the most advanced single component clear coats in the world. It's super clear, super glossy, and unbelievably tough!
Spray or brush this non-yellowing single-component clear coat over painted or unpainted fiberglass, wood, and other interior surfaces that need a clear lustrous finish. The tough, yet flexible, coating dries clear as water, with a rock-hard finish that won't crack, chip, or peel.

It's self leveling, which means it won't leave harsh brush marks. It can be recoated in 2 to 3 hours, depending on humidity, and will withstand temperatures up to 400 F. Two coats should always be applied, to achieve maximum beauty and protection.

PELUCID™ has excellent adhesion qualities, and is highly chemical resistant.

--------------------
HotLines Joey Madden - pinstriping since 1952
'Perfection, its what I look for and what I live for'

http://members.tripod.com/Inflite
http://www.pinheadlounge.com/hotlinesjoeymadden

Posts: 5962 | From: USA | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!