Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » Do you buy Clip Art?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Do you buy Clip Art?
David Thompson
Visitor
Member # 2395

Icon 1 posted      Profile for David Thompson   Author's Homepage   Email David Thompson       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm curious as to what the market is for certain types of clip art.

As work has been slow lately, I have been designing a lot of scroll work and was wondering if I could make a marketable CD out of it.

If you do buy this sort of thing, how many images would there have to be on the CD and what would you be willing to spend on such a CD?

Right now I only have 10 small straight scrolls, 5 corner scrolls and 7 frame scrolls ( these would border a name on a sign and I have two versions of each, one that is just a scroll and one that has two panels for names built into them.

One last question, how professional would the packaging have to be for you to be interested?

A sample of one of the frames with the panels.

-

[ December 15, 2008, 01:11 PM: Message edited by: David Thompson ]

--------------------
David Thompson
Pro-Line Graphics
Martinsville, NJ

I'm not this dumb, it's just the paint fumes talkin'

Posts: 398 | From: Martinsville, NJ | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jillbeans
Resident

Member # 1912

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jillbeans   Author's Homepage   Email Jillbeans   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That is lovely. And yes I do buy clipart.

What I would suggest is submitting your work to Istock. You can sell it through them and get to choose the way it is licensed. (If memory serves)
Lots of people do this. Stevo and Gary Godby come to mind.

That way you don't have to worry about packaging, burning the CDs, shipping, etc. And then having someone pirate your CD once they buy it.

I think there are also a few other sites who will buy your clipart and sell it for you.
Good luck! Looks like it has a lot of potential.
Love....Jill

Posts: 8834 | From: Butler, PA, USA | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Patrick Whatley
Resident

Member # 2008

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Patrick Whatley   Email Patrick Whatley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've bought very few collections in the last couple of years. Buying individual images from www.istockphoto.com is working out a lot better for us. It's nice to have the online search engine and the ability to scan hundreds of images looking for just the right one.

--------------------
Pat Whatley
Montgomery, AL
(334) 262-7446 office
(334) 324-8465 cell

Posts: 1306 | From: Wetumpka, AL USA | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tony Ray Mattingly
Resident

Member # 469

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tony Ray Mattingly   Author's Homepage   Email Tony Ray Mattingly   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, I have purchased nearly everything that Butler and Golden era has adding up to several hundred dollars.

--------------------
Tony Mattingly
www.signgrafix.com
www.nostalgic-signworks.com
Louisville Ky
tony@signgrafix.com

Posts: 301 | From: Louisville Ky. USA | Registered: Jan 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raymond Chapman
Resident

Member # 361

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Raymond Chapman   Author's Homepage   Email Raymond Chapman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, I buy a lot. All of Butler, Golden Era, Tramp Warner, Don Coplen, Brian Briskie, along with a whole gaggle of fonts. John Deaton has produced some vehicle cartoon clip art also, although I don't have those as that is not the type of work I produce.

You might want to check with some of these guys to see how well they did. I know that several have mentioned that they see their clip art in lots of signs in the magazines and on the web and they know that they didn't sell that individual a CD...so it must have been "borrowed" from someone else.

I wouldn't plan on retiring on the income.

--------------------
Chapman Sign Studio
Temple, Texas
chapmanstudio@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 6306 | From: Temple, Texas, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sonny Franks
Resident

Member # 588

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sonny Franks   Email Sonny Franks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
David, I bought all the Vector Art collections (they have lots of images and professional packaging) I also have all of David Butler's stuff and use it regularly. Unless you have a very large and/or very impressive collection, the istock link mentioned above is probably your best bet..........

--------------------
www.signcreations.net
Sonny Franks
Lilburn, GA
770-923-9933

Posts: 4117 | From: Lilburn, GA USA | Registered: Feb 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kelly Thorson
Resident

Member # 2958

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kelly Thorson   Author's Homepage   Email Kelly Thorson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I too own all the Butler Gold and Vector Art. I use both on a regular basis. I'm also a fan of Istock. I am tending to just make what I need a lot more though. I looked into putting some work on Istock. It's a bit of a tough market to break into though unless you have an in, and my understanding (second hand information) was that they were feeling the "scroll" market was a bit oversaturated (a year ago). I know Gary Godby and Dave Smith have done well. If you do decide to go with Istock try to make contact with some and set up a creative network, it will help your sales.

--------------------
“Did you ever stop to think, and forget to start again?”
-Winnie the Pooh & A.A. Milne

Kelly Thorson
Kel-T-Grafix
801 Main St.
Holdfast, SK
S0G 2H0
ktg@sasktel.net

Posts: 5496 | From: Penzance, Saskatchewan | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ricky Jackson
Visitor
Member # 5082

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ricky Jackson   Email Ricky Jackson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I bought the three volumes of Butler Gold. I also bought some of Mike Jackson's (Golden Era) CD's also. Absolutely first class. I've also got a couple of the Vector Art CD's too but a lot of the stuff is pretty generic but I don't guess that's such a bad thing.

--------------------
Ricky Jackson
Signs Now
614 Russell Parkway
Warner Robins, GA
(478) 923-7722
signpimp50@hotmail.com

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Sir Issac Newton

Posts: 3528 | From: Warner Robins, GA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stephen Deveau
Visitor
Member # 1305

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stephen Deveau         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why would I?

--------------------
Stephen Deveau
RavenGraphics
Insinx Digital Displays

Letting Your Imagination Run Wild!

Posts: 4327 | From: Lower Sackville, Nova Scotia, Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!