Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » Design and critique - c'mon - you wanna play?? (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Design and critique - c'mon - you wanna play??
David Harding
Resident

Member # 108

Icon 1 posted      Profile for David Harding   Author's Homepage   Email David Harding   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jon,

Better yet. Why don't you pull up a chair and look over my shoulder as we design it together? We could even throw in your cell number, website, office number, fax number, "if no answer please call" number, and all three email addresses in some artsy font like Papyrus. Oh... and bring your nephew, I'm sure he has some good ideas to add to the mix.

And Cam... how much beer did you drink?

[ November 26, 2008, 01:46 PM: Message edited by: David Harding ]

--------------------
David Harding
A Sign of Excellence
Carrollton, TX

Posts: 5092 | From: Carrollton, TX, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jerry Berg
Visitor
Member # 7841

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jerry Berg   Email Jerry Berg       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
C'mon now, We need more bar codes, A few of those items are not bar coded. You all really need to get with the times here.

--------------------
Jerry Berg
South Paw Sign
Washington State

Posts: 87 | From: Washington State | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jay Allen
Resident

Member # 195

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jay Allen   Author's Homepage   Email Jay Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Harding . . . HAHAHAHA . . . your first attempt . . . HAHAHAHAHAHA . . . wiping up the pee right now . . . laughed too hard!! Then the additions!!

I know a guy who designs just like that!! And he must do a lot of work cuz' I see sh!t just like that at least once a week.

Funny . . .

Happy Thanksgiving all!!

--------------------
Jay Allen
ShawCraft Sign Co.
Machesney Park, IL
jallen222@aol.com
http://www.shawcraft.com/

"The object of the superior man is truth."
-Confucius

Posts: 1285 | From: Machesney Park, IL, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ian Stewart-Koster
Resident

Member # 3500

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ian Stewart-Koster   Author's Homepage   Email Ian Stewart-Koster   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cam,
I think I mentioned cleaning out the brushes & having some fun, earlier on in this thread.

--------------------
"Stewey" on chat

"...there are no limits when you aim for perfection..." Jonathan Livingston Seagull

Posts: 7014 | From: Highgrove via Toowoomba, Queensland, Australia | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
David Harding
Resident

Member # 108

Icon 1 posted      Profile for David Harding   Author's Homepage   Email David Harding   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cue up theme music from The Outer Limits...

"There is nothing wrong with your design. Do not attempt to adjust the layout. We are controlling the graphics. If we wish to make it more garish, we will bring up the lime green. If we wish to make it softer, we will insert a highly pixilated web graphic. We will control the horizontal banding. We will control the vertical banding. We can digitally roll the image, make it flutter. We can change the focus to a soft blur by multiple outlines, bevels, and gradients around important copy or sharpen unnecessary text to crystal clarity. For the next hour, sit quietly and try to figure out what on earth this wrap is supposed to say. We repeat, there is nothing wrong with your design. You are about to participate in a grating adventure. You are about to experience the awe and mystery which reaches from the inner mind to... The Outer Limits of Nephew Art...

...Todd, we now return control of your thoroughly hijacked post to you."

If I act like this on Todd's design requests, I seriously doubt he'll be inviting me to the movies any time soon.

--------------------
David Harding
A Sign of Excellence
Carrollton, TX

Posts: 5092 | From: Carrollton, TX, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Jantz
Resident

Member # 6137

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jon Jantz   Author's Homepage   Email Jon Jantz       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by David Harding:

...Todd, we now return control of your thoroughly hijacked post to you."

If I act like this on Todd's design requests, I seriously doubt he'll be inviting me to the movies any time soon.

Well, that'd be kinda risky anyway.... you might forget to turn your cell phone off...

/"goin' Todd"
//such a useful colloquialism [Wink] [Wink] [Wink]

--------------------
Jon Jantz
Snappysign.com
jjantz21@gmail.com
http://www.allcw.com

Posts: 3395 | From: Atmore, AL | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ian Stewart-Koster
Resident

Member # 3500

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ian Stewart-Koster   Author's Homepage   Email Ian Stewart-Koster   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
(...hmmm, after all this, I wonder if he'll post a photo of the finished article here...)

--------------------
"Stewey" on chat

"...there are no limits when you aim for perfection..." Jonathan Livingston Seagull

Posts: 7014 | From: Highgrove via Toowoomba, Queensland, Australia | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Butterworth
Deceased

Member # 227

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jon Butterworth   Email Jon Butterworth   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Please Note Well the title of the thread!!!!!

We is just "PLAYING" as invited, but David moved the goalposts a LITTLE bit.!!!!!

[Rolling On The Floor] [Rolling On The Floor] [Rolling On The Floor]

--------------------
Bushie^
aka Jon Butterworth

Executive Director
HARDLY NORMAL
SIGN COMPANY

http://www.icr.com.au/~jonsigns

Posts: 4014 | From: Toowoomba, Queensland, Australia | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Todd Gill
Resident

Member # 2569

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Todd Gill   Email Todd Gill   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
LOL...ok, just got a chance to get back and read the insane, but humorous mayhem. Thank you my fellow goofballs for the belly laughs.

Ok...here's what's transpired:

They chose to keep the filigrees I proposed over the modified ones Mark smartly suggested. They also liked the fonts in "FARMS" and "Grand Ledge" as is.

They did go for the idea of changing the word "Farms" to white - which was a good suggestion and a nice improvement.

I also snuck in the red outline around the word "FARMS" and ditched the "period" after "MI."

They didn't want the box borders - although I kinda liked them myself.

So, in the end - it was another compromise.

Thanks to EVERYONE for your suggestions - which some were able to be implemented and made the design better than the original.

Heck - I didn't even think I'd have time to do anything different at all, but I ended up doing the rig tonight instead of yesterday evening...so I at least had the opportunity to run some of these different ideas past them - last minute.

Here's what is ended up looking like... there was a LOT of room for additional possibilities on other fenders/panels - but they are nice, conservative country folk and I think they thought what they got on the door was a radical - even slightly scandalous look for them.

Great people though - and fun to work with. I couldn't have worked for a nicer couple.

Here's the finished piece - and thanks again to everyone, as well as those providing the comic relief.

-

-

-

--------------------
Todd Gill
Outside The Lines
Potterville, MI

Posts: 7792 | From: Potterville, MI | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Jantz
Resident

Member # 6137

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jon Jantz   Author's Homepage   Email Jon Jantz       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Todd, that turned out looking very nice. I like the design elements better seeing them on the truck. Like was mentioned, I think it does look better ON the truck without the borders as well....

Glad they loved it!!!

--------------------
Jon Jantz
Snappysign.com
jjantz21@gmail.com
http://www.allcw.com

Posts: 3395 | From: Atmore, AL | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Butterworth
Deceased

Member # 227

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jon Butterworth   Email Jon Butterworth   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Looks good mate! Very clean and smart.

[Applause] [Applause] [Applause]

PS: What's all that funny white stuff on the ground?

[Eek!]

--------------------
Bushie^
aka Jon Butterworth

Executive Director
HARDLY NORMAL
SIGN COMPANY

http://www.icr.com.au/~jonsigns

Posts: 4014 | From: Toowoomba, Queensland, Australia | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Todd Gill
Resident

Member # 2569

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Todd Gill   Email Todd Gill   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks guys...

Jon- that white stuff is *devil's dust* LOL.

Man, I'm starting to despise winter!

--------------------
Todd Gill
Outside The Lines
Potterville, MI

Posts: 7792 | From: Potterville, MI | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Donna in BC
Resident

Member # 130

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Donna in BC   Author's Homepage   Email Donna in BC   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nice work Todd!

David, I'm seeing a pattern in your design work. Seems to me you created something similar in Yarrow... minus the bar code.

[Smile]

--------------------
Donna Williams
Funky Junk Interiors
Yarrow, BC Canada
donna@funkyjunkinteriors.net

~ Check out the newest junk at ~ http://funkyjunkinteriors.net/

Posts: 5630 | From: Yarrow, BC Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
David Wright
Visitor
Member # 111

Icon 1 posted      Profile for David Wright   Author's Homepage   Email David Wright   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You have snow now? It hasn't hit here yet.
Looks good.

--------------------
Wright Signs
Wyandotte, Michigan

Posts: 2785 | From: Wyandotte, MI USA | Registered: Jan 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan Beach
Visitor
Member # 9850

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dan Beach   Email Dan Beach       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Looks good on the truck.

The rest of it is screaming for some pinstripe accents though . . . Shame you couldn't get the upsell.

--------------------
Dan Beach
Cylinder 9 Designs
1650 Glassboro Rd
Sewell, NJ 08080

Posts: 625 | From: South Jersey | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dawud Shaheed
Visitor
Member # 5719

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dawud Shaheed   Author's Homepage   Email Dawud Shaheed       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey, Looks good, Todd.

No barbed wire and cow skull?

--------------------
Dawud Shaheed
Sign Scientist
Durham (triangle area) N.C
919 685 7641
signscientist@aol.com
www.signscientist.com

Posts: 1158 | From: durham (triangle area) NC | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sam Staffan
Resident

Member # 4552

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sam Staffan   Email Sam Staffan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Quoted: Shame you couldn't get the upsell.

Yes, imagine if you could have sold it in full color.

Then again maybe not! [Rolling On The Floor] It was playing along on this anyway. Great job Todd.

I quess with this one it would have needed the pinstripes to make it POP! [I Don t Know] [Rolling On The Floor]

-

--------------------
Sam Staffan
Mackinaw Art & Sign
721 S. Nokomis St. Mackinaw City, MI
dstaffan@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 1697 | From: Mackinaw City, MI | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
David Harding
Resident

Member # 108

I have to apologize. I forgot the torn metal with claws sticking through. I guess my design instincts still need work.

Donna, in Yarrow, while everyone else was making a bug, I created an entire ecosystem. I hated to waste all that Magic Sculpt left over from the other projects but I guess, after looking at my "creation", it could be debated whether or not the material was saved from being wasted. And yes, the overall design of my ecosystem was about the aesthetic quality of the average wrap.

--------------------
David Harding
A Sign of Excellence
Carrollton, TX

Jillbeans
Resident

Member # 1912

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jillbeans   Author's Homepage   Email Jillbeans   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Where are the dimensional elements?
I wanna see 3D eggs and some cow pies.
Other than that, it looks good, Todd.

Posts: 8834 | From: Butler, PA, USA | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Donna in BC
Resident

Member # 130

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Donna in BC   Author's Homepage   Email Donna in BC   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sam, it's crooked.

David, yeah.. ok.

LOL

--------------------
Donna Williams
Funky Junk Interiors
Yarrow, BC Canada
donna@funkyjunkinteriors.net

~ Check out the newest junk at ~ http://funkyjunkinteriors.net/

Posts: 5630 | From: Yarrow, BC Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!