Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » Chalkboard Art question

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Chalkboard Art question
Dawud Shaheed
Visitor
Member # 5719

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dawud Shaheed   Author's Homepage   Email Dawud Shaheed       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm wondering about chalkboard art like this

-

-
I had a customer contact me about something like this. I was leaning toward painting it with flat
paint like one shot bulletin colors, but I'm not sure if I can achieve the "chalk" look like that.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Also, what would you charge for 2 3'x4' chalkboards where the customer provides the board. One is an attention getter and one is a menu.

--------------------
Dawud Shaheed
Sign Scientist
Durham (triangle area) N.C
919 685 7641
signscientist@aol.com
www.signscientist.com

Posts: 1158 | From: durham (triangle area) NC | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Barb. Shortreed

Member # 1730

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Barb. Shortreed   Email Barb. Shortreed   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Dawud....here is a great Step-By-Step on Chalk Boards done by Rob Clark of Oakwood, Qld.,

http://www.letterville.com/steps/rob_clark/

--------------------
Barb Shortreed
144 Hill St. E.
Fergus, Ontario

Posts: 2377 | From: Fergus, Ont. | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dawud Shaheed
Visitor
Member # 5719

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dawud Shaheed   Author's Homepage   Email Dawud Shaheed       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you VERY MUCH! that article was super helpful. What a great website this is.

--------------------
Dawud Shaheed
Sign Scientist
919 685 7641
signscientist@aol.com
www.signscientist.com

Posts: 1158 | From: durham (triangle area) NC | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rich Stebbing
Visitor
Member # 368

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rich Stebbing   Email Rich Stebbing   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I seen Chalkboard paints at art supply store recently, but did not check them out.
When I used to paint ShoCards, alot of them had dark backgronds , black, maroon, etc. I used 1-Shot poster paints(flat) and on many I would use the Lettering Enamels(gloss). I made most of my colors pastel by adding White. They kinda looked like the Chalkboard Signs and did cover in one coat!
Today I used both paints on a awning, first doing basecoats with the quick drying poster paint, and then topcoating with the Lettering Enamel.

--------------------
Rich Stebbing
RichSigns
Rohnert Park CA
707-795-5588

Posts: 755 | From: Rohnert Park, CA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tony Ray Mattingly
Resident

Member # 469

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tony Ray Mattingly   Author's Homepage   Email Tony Ray Mattingly   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is really strange. I was in Chili's this past sunday checking out the Chalk Board art. I was pointing it out to my step daughter telling her she could do something like that if she tries. The guy that does the work for Chili's is
http://www.seanmcafee.com I was also wondering what the chalk board art sells for.

--------------------
Tony Mattingly
www.signgrafix.com
www.nostalgic-signworks.com
Louisville Ky
tony@signgrafix.com

Posts: 301 | From: Louisville Ky. USA | Registered: Jan 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ian Stewart-Koster
Resident

Member # 3500

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ian Stewart-Koster   Author's Homepage   Email Ian Stewart-Koster   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We had a workshop on chalkboard art at out aussie letterheads- wish I'd paid more attention!
Cheryl McLean did a great job & won "Best Panel" with her rendition of the logo.

She uses pastels, rather than chalk.
Some are done over 'black', and some are done over a white undercoat, depending on how much brilliance you want in the finished picture.

Also, you colour in by starting with highlights, then do the darkest bits, then the middle tones then highlights again over the top. No other way!

...or you can buy clipart I guess- it's advertised in Signcraft!

--------------------
"Stewey" on chat

"...there are no limits when you aim for perfection..." Jonathan Livingston Seagull

Posts: 7014 | From: Highgrove via Toowoomba, Queensland, Australia | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dawud Shaheed
Visitor
Member # 5719

Well, I bid on the job and now I'm just waiting to see if I get it.

Tony, looks like sean mcafee is the same guy who's work I posted earlier. Nice stuff.

--------------------
Dawud Shaheed
Sign Scientist
919 685 7641
signscientist@aol.com
www.signscientist.com

Tony Ray Mattingly
Resident

Member # 469

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tony Ray Mattingly   Author's Homepage   Email Tony Ray Mattingly   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
yes that is his suff. Nice work.

--------------------
Tony Mattingly
www.signgrafix.com
www.nostalgic-signworks.com
Louisville Ky
tony@signgrafix.com

Posts: 301 | From: Louisville Ky. USA | Registered: Jan 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kelly Thorson
Resident

Member # 2958

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kelly Thorson   Author's Homepage   Email Kelly Thorson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Last year on our trip to BC we stopped at a little restaurant that had some great chalkboard menus. I wrote down the name of the artist and found her on the internet when I got home.
She has some amazing chalk art!

--------------------
“Did you ever stop to think, and forget to start again?”
-Winnie the Pooh & A.A. Milne

Kelly Thorson
Kel-T-Grafix
801 Main St.
Holdfast, SK
S0G 2H0
ktg@sasktel.net

Posts: 5496 | From: Penzance, Saskatchewan | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rick Sacks
Resident

Member # 379

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rick Sacks   Author's Homepage   Email Rick Sacks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I remember meeting some Aussie folks that are in Lo-Cal, probably Huntington Beach, that do exceptional chalkboards and that is all they do. I think they said something about oil pastels.

--------------------
The SignShop
Mendocino, California

http://www.mendosign.com

Making the simple complicated is commonplace;
making the complicated simple, awesomely simple, that's creativity. — Charles Mingus

Posts: 6736 | From: Mendocino, CA. USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!