Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » stage coach gold

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: stage coach gold
Russ McMullin
Resident

Member # 5617

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Russ McMullin   Author's Homepage   Email Russ McMullin       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We are doing some temporary decals for this coach, for a special event. They will fit into the panels on either side of the door.

-

The guy who brought it in talked about repainting it sometime (probably won't happen any time soon), and I talked to him about possibility of re-gilding it. At this point he doesn't even own it, so it's just talk, but I was going over in my mind how I would approach it. For the gilding would you use fast or slow size? Would 1-shot black be the best for the outlining? Would the gold hold up pretty well without a clear coat?

I already have some idea of what the answers would be, but I'm interested to know how others would do this. It looks like a fun job if it ever came to be.

--------------------
Russ McMullin
Tooele, UT
www.mcmullincreative.com

My mind wanders. And that's not a good thing, 'cause it's too small to be out there alone.

Posts: 3129 | From: Tooele, UT | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jerry Berg
Visitor
Member # 7841

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jerry Berg   Email Jerry Berg       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would use a slow size and the one shot black. I also would use a clear on this, since it will be close to peoples touch.

--------------------
Jerry Berg
South Paw Sign
Washington State

Posts: 87 | From: Washington State | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Russ McMullin
Resident

Member # 5617

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Russ McMullin   Author's Homepage   Email Russ McMullin       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jerry, what clear would you use?

--------------------
Russ McMullin
Tooele, UT
www.mcmullincreative.com

My mind wanders. And that's not a good thing, 'cause it's too small to be out there alone.

Posts: 3129 | From: Tooele, UT | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mark Matyjakowski
Visitor
Member # 294

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mark Matyjakowski   Author's Homepage   Email Mark Matyjakowski   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would probably cut a mask with a slight outline, Apply a slow size, Peel the outline, Gild, clear (or have cleared with some type of automotive), peel rest of mask, then outline to cover the cleared outline.

As far as what clear, I don't remember what clear I borrowed when doing the very few automotive type gilding things I've done.

--------------------
Compulsive, Neurotic, Anti-social and Paranoid ... but basically Happy

Posts: 2677 | From: Rochester, NY, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ian Stewart-Koster
Resident

Member # 3500

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ian Stewart-Koster   Author's Homepage   Email Ian Stewart-Koster   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You're taking on a big project, depending on where he wants to stop...

Dirt & dust will get thrown up from the wheels onto the body, so a protective coat over the gold is essential. Seeing that you'd be doing that, then actually spraying on a gold-bronze powder mixed with size will also give you a reasonable look for a lot less cost.

Whether you choose to blend asphaltum or any tint of black or brown over it later, to give shading to the gold is something to consider- it's time-consuming, but nice.

Black outline around gold...questionable. For something like text, I'd say yes. For something as extensive as this, on the red, budget will be a consideration. You'd want to keep it fine, if you did it.

Clear coats- I'd use a good exterior UV-protected varnish. The kind recommended for good exterior timber furniture. Spar varnishes, while good, can be a bit slow to dry & sticky for a while & give you greater dust issues.

Lacquers- NO, no, nooo.

Urethane clear-coat- maybe, but I'd still do a good varnish, personally.

What about the rest of the vehicle, it it to be striped, too?

Have fun!

--------------------
"Stewey" on chat

"...there are no limits when you aim for perfection..." Jonathan Livingston Seagull

Posts: 7014 | From: Highgrove via Toowoomba, Queensland, Australia | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!