Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » ABSOLUTELY RAGING MAD -- what would you do? (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: ABSOLUTELY RAGING MAD -- what would you do?
Bobbie Rochow
Resident

Member # 3341

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bobbie Rochow   Email Bobbie Rochow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like that Rick! I agree, sometimes adversity in circumstances, or people can be a gift to us. helps us to grow if we learn by it. Your comment is causing me to think about things, thank you!

--------------------
The Word in Signs
Bobbie Rochow
Jamestown, PA 16134

724-927-6471

thewordinsigns@alltel.net

Posts: 3485 | From: Jamestown, PA 16134 | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Michael Gene Adkins
Merchant

Member # 882

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Michael Gene Adkins   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Gene Adkins   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hmmmm,

one would guess that many of you have had a customer just like this one!

It is true that he, like many customers out there, has allowed himself to be in control, and we, like many businesses, have inadvertantly allowed it.

The reasoning behind charging him more is that we have given him nothing but the best of bargains from the beginning because he has allowed his to pick from our scrap pile and build odd-sized signs that most people can't use. He has shown very little realization or appreciation for this, so the PITA charge is really just the prices coming back to where they should have been in the first place.

--------------------
Michael Gene Adkins
The Fontry
1576 S Hwy 59
Watts OK 74964

Posts: 845 | From: Watts, OK USA | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ricky Jackson
Visitor
Member # 5082

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ricky Jackson   Email Ricky Jackson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ahhhhhh... "scrap pile"! Get that word out of your vocabulary and never ever use it with a customer. You don't generate scrap; you generate "off cuts". Scrap has no value; off cuts have value. Yes it is semantics but it works.

--------------------
Ricky Jackson
Signs Now
614 Russell Parkway
Warner Robins, GA
(478) 923-7722
signpimp50@hotmail.com

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Sir Issac Newton

Posts: 3528 | From: Warner Robins, GA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rick Sacks
Resident

Member # 379

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rick Sacks   Author's Homepage   Email Rick Sacks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jon, thank you for clarifying the PITA tax.

--------------------
The SignShop
Mendocino, California

http://www.mendosign.com

Making the simple complicated is commonplace;
making the complicated simple, awesomely simple, that's creativity. — Charles Mingus

Posts: 6737 | From: Mendocino, CA. USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nikki Goral
Resident

Member # 7844

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nikki Goral   Author's Homepage   Email Nikki Goral       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Seems everyone forgot to mention the downpayment or "pre-payment" for jobs under x dollars and the contracts etc. that would normally accompany a discussion of this length. 2 cents

--------------------
Nikki Goral
Image Advantage Signs
4050 Champeau Road
New Franken, WI 54229
920-465-4500
"Finish every day and be done with it. Tomorrow is a new day."-Ralph Waldo Emerson

Posts: 928 | From: New Franken, WI (East Green Bay) | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Michael Gene Adkins
Merchant

Member # 882

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Michael Gene Adkins   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Gene Adkins   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My favorite saying: That's not scrap, that's profit!

'course sometimes it is just scrap.....LOL

but I am more lenient when someone's willing to take an odd-sized piece of "profit" off my hands!

--------------------
Michael Gene Adkins
The Fontry
1576 S Hwy 59
Watts OK 74964

Posts: 845 | From: Watts, OK USA | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ray Rheaume
Resident

Member # 3794

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ray Rheaume   Email Ray Rheaume   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bump the bill by $25 bucks, tell him to knock on the house door next time (most of my customers do anyway) and let him know that what he did is criminal...theft of property. Unless he left a check or cash, he took something that was yours, not his.

If he doesn't agree to all of the above, tell him to go somewhere else...permanently.

The first customer I want to see is one who knows how to do business. The LAST ones I want to deal with are the $50 brain dead idiots who are not worth the aggravation like this...or the subsequent ulcers they cause.

Your shop, your rules....POST THEM!
Rapid

--------------------
Ray Rheaume
Rapidfire Design
543 Brushwood Road
North Haverhill, NH 03774
rapidfiredesign@hotmail.com
603-787-6803

I like my paint shaken, not stirred.

Posts: 5648 | From: North Haverhill, New Hampshire | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Donna in BC
Resident

Member # 130

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Donna in BC   Author's Homepage   Email Donna in BC   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Money is money, but at what cost? If you were raking in thousands from this guy, it might be worth it to hang onto him and add the PITA tax. But for chump change, I wouldn't even turn on my computer for him personally.

Next time he calls, double your price and tell him your deadline is a month away before you can even see him if you can't outright fire him. He won't be back and your blood pressure can stay down.

It's about choices. You can continue to 'take him on' and play games, and learn to control your anger around him, or just make a choice to stop the nonsense if it's a proven deal that he does business like this continuously. If you continue to deal with him, you're also chosing that route.

I guess what I don't understand is why.

--------------------
Donna Williams
Funky Junk Interiors
Yarrow, BC Canada
donna@funkyjunkinteriors.net

~ Check out the newest junk at ~ http://funkyjunkinteriors.net/

Posts: 5630 | From: Yarrow, BC Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
George Perkins
Resident

Member # 156

Icon 1 posted      Profile for George Perkins   Author's Homepage   Email George Perkins   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Frank's post speaks volumes!!!! Luckily, I've learned to control my anger before it reached that point.
I've also learned that there are some people in this world that just "don't get it". They are damn near impossible to deal with. I have a few members of my family that fall into this catagory, some of whom I basically have little or nothing to do with, it's just not worth it. Customers of this ilk are pretty easy to spot. I will do my best to deal with "difficult" customers and actually have a great deal of patience when it comes to "difficult". Cross over the line into "unreasonable" and I refuse to fool with them.

--------------------
George Perkins
Millington,TN.
goatwell@bigriver.net

"I started out with nothing and still have most of it left"

www.perkinsartworks.com

Posts: 4324 | From: Millington, TN. USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Steve Shortreed
Deceased Mayor

Member # 436

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Steve Shortreed   Author's Homepage   Email Steve Shortreed   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's interesting to see the difference between small town signshops and bigger Community shops. Here in Fergus, it's still not uncomman for roadside vendors to just leave a cardboard box. Everyone just works on the honor system.

This is just a blatant promotion for Letterville. [Smile] If you feel $50 is nothing, why not become a Resident and help cover the costs of running this meet? With more and more Suppliers cutting back on advertising, the additional income is more than welcome.

Click http://www.letterville.com/residents/ and learn all the benefits of becoming a Resident.

--------------------
Steve Shortreed
144 Hill St., E.
Fergus, Ontario
Canada N1M 1G9
519-787-2673

steve@letterville.com

www.letterville.com/profiles/shortreed/

Posts: 3710 | From: Fergus, Ontario, Canada | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anne McDonald
Visitor
Member # 6842

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Anne McDonald   Email Anne McDonald       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[Applause] Well said Mr Shortreed!

--------------------
Anne McDonald
17 Karnak Crescent
Russley
Christchurch 8042
New Zealand

"I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure"

Posts: 877 | From: Christchurch | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tony Ray Mattingly
Resident

Member # 469

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tony Ray Mattingly   Author's Homepage   Email Tony Ray Mattingly   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Shortreed:
It's interesting to see the difference between small town signshops and bigger Community shops. Here in Fergus, it's still not uncomman for roadside vendors to just leave a cardboard box. Everyone just works on the honor system.

This is just a blatant promotion for Letterville. [Smile] If you feel $50 is nothing, why not become a Resident and help cover the costs of running this meet? With more and more Suppliers cutting back on advertising, the additional income is more than welcome.

Click http://www.letterville.com/residents/ and learn all the benefits of becoming a Resident.

Where does it say your membership is due? or do you send out e-mails? Mine has got to be due.

--------------------
Tony Mattingly
www.signgrafix.com
www.nostalgic-signworks.com
Louisville Ky
tony@signgrafix.com

Posts: 301 | From: Louisville Ky. USA | Registered: Jan 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raymond Chapman
Resident

Member # 361

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Raymond Chapman   Author's Homepage   Email Raymond Chapman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not sure about everyone else, but I get a reminder email from Barb.

--------------------
Chapman Sign Studio
Temple, Texas
chapmanstudio@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 6306 | From: Temple, Texas, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sheila Ferrell
Resident

Member # 3741

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sheila Ferrell   Email Sheila Ferrell       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey, I'm sorry to say this . . . but it's just SO darn EASY to say . . .

Have you ever noticed the people who, quote: get "ABSOLUTELY RAGING MAD" and then ask, quote; "what would you do?"

. . . are often the same people who could have EASILY avoided the enraging situation in the first place and who also have some of the silliest responses to solutions provided by those who would humor their dilemma.

Meanwhile, as for what I DO . . . when I finish a job I call the customer to find out when they will come by, just so I can personally make the exchange I worked for, or I might make a provision to deliver the job COD.

I seriously doubt I would question anyone about a customer 'stealing' their signs from my unlocked shop . . . and the only person I would be enraged with would be myself if they did.

How's that for being blunt and candid?

Smile! Your on candid camera!

[Razz]

--------------------
Signs
Sweet Home Alabama

oneshot on chat

"Look like a girl, act like a lady, think like a man, work like a dog"

Posts: 5758 | From: "Sweet Home" Alabama | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!