Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » Price check please.....

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Price check please.....
Jerry Berg
Visitor
Member # 7841

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jerry Berg   Email Jerry Berg       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've got a metal wall to letter here. This will be one color (black) painted on metal with vertical 2" thick ribs every 10". It's going on the exterior wall of a storage building facing the highway. There will be 27 letters at 40" tall each, one line of copy . This can be done off of a 8' step ladder. Total dimensions are 40" x 68' long. There is a nice flat surface for the ladders and easy access.

What is a ball park figure you would charge? Paint, pattern & one days work.

Thanks, Jerry

--------------------
Jerry Berg
South Paw Sign
Washington State

Posts: 87 | From: Washington State | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joey Madden
Resident

Member # 1192

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joey Madden   Author's Homepage   Email Joey Madden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What do ya normally get for a days work?

--------------------
HotLines Joey Madden - pinstriping since 1952
'Perfection, its what I look for and what I live for'

http://members.tripod.com/Inflite
http://www.pinheadlounge.com/hotlinesjoeymadden

Posts: 5962 | From: USA | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jerry Berg
Visitor
Member # 7841

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jerry Berg   Email Jerry Berg       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, I don't go by a days work, I go by what the job is worth. I normally charge around $1,500 for a job this size.

--------------------
Jerry Berg
South Paw Sign
Washington State

Posts: 87 | From: Washington State | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Grundy
Resident

Member # 103

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Grundy   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Grundy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
LOL Joey!!!

Jerry, Add up all material costs and double them.

Figure patternmaking time plus set-up time and actual painting time. Add them all together and multiply by your shop rate?

I wasn't a painter but that's basically how I priced things using vinyl.

You MIGHT lose a bit of profit, if it is the first time doing a job like this, but it will be a lesson learned in pricing. Lord knows I lost profit many times when doing a certain type of job for the first time.

OR....You can use Si's method, charge as much as you can without breaking out in laughter!!! BUT if the customer agrees to that price, wait until you are away from the phone or the customer before starting to cry!!!! [Rolling On The Floor] [Rolling On The Floor]

--------------------
Dave Grundy
retired in Chelem,Yucatan,Mexico/Hensall,Ontario,Canada
1-519-262-3651 Canada
011-52-1-999-102-2923 Mexico cell
1-226-785-8957 Canada/Mexico home

dave.grundy@hotmail.com

Posts: 8874 | From: Chelem, Yucatan, Mexico/Hensall, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jake snow
Resident

Member # 5889

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jake snow   Author's Homepage   Email jake snow       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jerry,
double your $1500
my 2 cents

--------------------
Snow's Sign Works
865-908-0076
snowman@planetc.com
www.snowsigns.com

I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message...

Posts: 1640 | From: Sevierville, TN | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Si Allen
Resident

Member # 420

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Si Allen   Email Si Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don't short yourself!

If they are plain block letters that you can lay out on the wall using a scale drawing...$2500.

If you need a pattern...$3000.

--------------------
Si Allen #562
La Mirada, CA. USA

(714) 521-4810

si.allen on Skype

siallen@dslextreme.com

"SignPainters do It with Longer Strokes!"

Never mess with your profile while in a drunken stupor!!!

Brushasaurus on Chat

Posts: 8827 | From: La Mirada, CA, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryan Culbertson
Visitor
Member # 7560

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ryan Culbertson   Author's Homepage   Email Ryan Culbertson       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm with the Snowman. $3000

--------------------
Ryan Culbertson
The Sign Shop at Quick Copies
Greenwood, SC

Rock and Roll means well, but it can’t help tellin’ young boys lies.
Mike Cooley - Drive By Truckers

Posts: 453 | From: Greenwood, South Carolina | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jillbeans
Resident

Member # 1912

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jillbeans   Author's Homepage   Email Jillbeans   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
FWIW, last year my dear old walldog friend and I bid on a job. We gave a three-tiered price, the lowest being $2500 for straight text on a job smaller than this but a bit more intricate.
If memory serves it went up to $3500 with a complex pictorial.
All on straight block, newly painted.
The guy nearly had an apoplexy.
He had been quoted at $4K for vynull on aluminum, applied to the building by the biggest sign hack in town.
(which I can't figure out, the materials were nearly $2K)
I drove past this place a few months back.
It has vynull in Goudy as tall as you can stretch it on a 4'x8' aluminum.
Looks like ass.
One of the panels is missing, apparantly fallen.
I heard thru the grapevine that this guy bitched to anyone who would listen what a gouger I was.

I would be at $1500 for this job, it doesn't sound that bad. Materials would be what...about $150 tops?
Maybe $1750 if you are feeling generous?
Love.....Jill
http://www.letterville.com/ubb-cgi/ultimatebb.cgi/topic/5/302.html?
edited to add link to topic, my numbers are a bit off but that was last year.

[ September 02, 2008, 07:38 PM: Message edited by: Jillbeans ]

Posts: 8834 | From: Butler, PA, USA | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jerry Berg
Visitor
Member # 7841

Yea, I hear ya people. This is a 3,000 job. I can knock this thing out in less than a day. I normally would'nt ask about a job like this, but we got a low-baller in the area that just wont go away. They do $1,000 jobs for $250. I'm just sick of it. I started thinking maybe my prices are too high. I should have known better. I do plenty of this type of work outside of my area, but not here cuz of the starving artist low-ballers. There work is not good either, but people around here only look at price. I thought if I do one of these for 1,500 I'll get some more exposure. And, I won't cutt the price on any further work. I just want to get this job. A quick $1,500 is'nt all that bad. I can knock something like this out quick. Easy money for me. Still, it's a low quote. What to do?.....

--------------------
Jerry Berg
South Paw Sign
Washington State

bruce ward
Visitor
Member # 1289

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bruce ward   Author's Homepage   Email bruce ward   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
$2200.00 materials and install

--------------------
You ever notice how easily accessible people are when they are requiring your services but once they get invoice you can't reach them anymore

http://www.visual-images-signs.com/#!

VISUAL IMAGES
MONTGOMERY, AL

Posts: 2033 | From: Montgomery, AL, usa | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mark Smith

Member # 298

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mark Smith   Author's Homepage   Email Mark Smith   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Depends on what you want out of the relationship with this customer. If you are looking for exposure to other customers - based on your quality work and not your "low price" - and you're in need of work - then perhaps the lower price is the way to go. Remember that whatever you establish a relationship on with a new customer is what it will be based on in *their* mind, however - and therefore they will always expect low prices in the future if you give them one today.

When we establish relationships we inevitably create one "fundamental" that can't change without threatening the relationship.

[ September 03, 2008, 10:14 PM: Message edited by: Mark Smith ]

--------------------
Best Regards,
Mark Smith
EstiMate Sign Pricing Software
It's Not Luck. It's EstiMate.™
http://www.EstiMateSoftware.com
1-888-304-3300

Posts: 724 | From: Asheville, NC, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!