Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » Your Ride - Ever Been locked Out ?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Your Ride - Ever Been locked Out ?
Ken Henry
Visitor
Member # 598

Icon 9 posted      Profile for Ken Henry   Email Ken Henry   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My van has one of those keys that lock/unlock the vehicle at the touch of that little button on the key fob. The internal battery got weak, so I bought a new one to replace it. Mistake!!!

What was supposed to be a corrective measure has become a challenge. The doors will still lock/unlock, but they seemingly do so at their whim. Sometimes it takes 5 depressions, other times 7 or 4, or whichever random number that thing decides.Today I had some mechanical work done, and my mechanic ( not a dealership guy ) noticed this quirk. He advised me to take the key back to the dealers and get it re-programmed to work properly. Apparently these sending devices also will "lock you out" of your own vehicle, if they are allowed to lapse into a low charge. They also have some anti-theft deterrent in that they will let you into the vehicle, allow you to start it, but will shut it down completely after about 15 seconds. Repeated tries to start the vehicle when the sensor is in this "mode" will result in it shutting down completely, and the only solution is to have the vehicle towed to the dealership for re-programming. [Frown]

What's your experience with your keys ? Is this information accurate ? Have any of you had your own ride balk, and shut you out ?

I'm one who has a staunch belief in an ounce of prevention, and I thought I'd seek out your collective advice. [I Don t Know]

--------------------
Ken Henry
Henry & Henry Signs
London, Ontario Canada
(519) 439-1881
e-mail: kjmlhenry@rogers.com

Why do I get all those on-line offers to sell me Viagara, when the only thing hardening is my arteries ?

Posts: 2684 | From: London,Ontario, Canada | Registered: Feb 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Frank Smith
Visitor
Member # 146

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Frank Smith   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Smith   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No trouble yet with our 4 year old one.

I jumped when I saw your topic title, though. Must be 20 years since I've left the keys in the ignition and locked myself out, but it happened this afternoon!

--------------------
Frank Smith
Frank Smith Signs
Albany, NY
www.franksmithsigns.com

Posts: 807 | From: Albany, NY USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rene Giroux
Resident

Member # 4980

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rene Giroux   Author's Homepage   Email Rene Giroux   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OnStar...

[Cool]

--------------------
Rene Giroux
Perfexion.ca
Gatineau, QC.

www.renegiroux.com

I'd rather regret things I did than things I didn't do!

Posts: 1875 | From: Gatineau, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Butterworth
Deceased

Member # 227

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jon Butterworth   Email Jon Butterworth   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Haven't locked myself out for years, but I did have a recent experience with remote keys.

Sue lost her key for the Honda CRV. We looked everywhere in the house & garage for days. Used mine in the meantime.

Finally went down to the Honda Dealership with the car and my keys to get a replacement for Sue. Told, although the key was only $20, it was going to cost another $240 to program the keys, reprogram the car and my keys too! [Frown]

They didn't have any stock keys for the new Honda and had to order one in. I booked the car in for a couple of days later. Would you believe, the night before I was due to take it down, Sue found hers in her dressing gown!!!!! How the hell they got there beats me. Maybe she went for a midnight drive? [Wink]

So now I have an unprogramed "spare" key costing $20.

By the way, I have "dog-chained" Sue's keys to her purse [Smile]

--------------------
Bushie^
aka Jon Butterworth

Executive Director
HARDLY NORMAL
SIGN COMPANY

http://www.icr.com.au/~jonsigns

Posts: 4014 | From: Toowoomba, Queensland, Australia | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Jantz
Resident

Member # 6137

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jon Jantz   Author's Homepage   Email Jon Jantz       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I used to have a Honda Accord that was possessed by a demon. It would randomly lock and unlock at the worst times. I have a couple of bad stories involving it...

Our dumpster was next to the street behind our building. One day I parked in the street for a minute to run around to the passenger side of my car to get out some trash. About half way around, I heard the doors lock. Waited for a minute, they didn't unlock so I run into the shop to get the Slim-jim. While in the shop they tell me I have call holding... so I get on the phone and totally forget about my car. About 15 minutes later, it hits me and I run outside... it's still there, people pulling around it, wondering who the idiot is that decided to park in the street. Was going to use the Slim-Jim and notice that meanwhile the doors have unlocked.

Another time I left after work to head for Mobile, AL for a birthday party for a friend. I know this is bad (and I don't do it anymore) but I dipped into my ice-chest and was sipping on a Bud Light on the way... well, in a little while I needed to take a leak and since I was in a hurry and it was dark, I pulled up a little used exit ramp and relieved myself beside the car... Didn't even occur to me to shut the car off and take my keys with me... yup.. was just going around to get back in, and 'CLICK' the demon struck. I beat fruitlessly on the side window demanding that it unlock the car immediately... to no avail. I knew I couldn't wait for the highway Po-po to come along to open it because of the open beer in the cup-holder, so I was left with no choice. Picked up a fallen over reflector sign post and POWWW... right through the side window... unlocked my doors and away I went.

It was after that I put a spare key in a magnetic holder under the car.

--------------------
Jon Jantz
Snappysign.com
jjantz21@gmail.com
http://www.allcw.com

Posts: 3395 | From: Atmore, AL | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Doug Allan
Resident

Member # 2247

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Doug Allan   Author's Homepage   Email Doug Allan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I still remember taking my daughter cross country at about 10 months of age, to meet her grandparents in Chicago.

Her mom and I left to drive back to Oregon on a rainy evening with some new cassette tapes, a cooler with snacks, and a big thermos we intended to fill repeatedly at truck stops along the way.

Back then, I dont think it was illegal to leave a child in a parked car, and we didn't think anything of leaving her sleeping right outside the coffee shop while we sat down for a cup & a thermos fill... but when it started pouring rain cats and dogs, I ran out to see if the sound of the rain might wake her up... sure enough, she was waking up, the keys were locked inside... & I was getting soaked while watching my baby girl starting to cry...

...called cops & had to get soaking wet for several more excruciating minutes until the patrol car showed up with the first slimjim I ever saw.

That was not the way I liked to start a 4 day road trip.

Now days, since I have one of those self locking trucks... when I want to jump out for a fast look at something, or unloading something, with the engine running... I just roll the window down!

--------------------
Doug Allan
http://www.islandsign.com

"you get what you settle for"

Posts: 8981 | From: Kahului, HI, USA | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ricky Jackson
Visitor
Member # 5082

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ricky Jackson   Email Ricky Jackson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jon, I feel your pain bro. My mustang has automatic locks and I've been locked out a few times. The last time I busted a window too; the most expensive one on the car. The window (the small triangular one on the sides of the "back seat" cost over $600 plus the installation. The first thing I did was buy a handful of magnetic key holders and put them on every vehicle I have. I've had to use them a time or two too. Personally, I think the inventor of the automatic lock should be hunted down and flogged with a dirty, wet jock strap.

--------------------
Ricky Jackson
Signs Now
614 Russell Parkway
Warner Robins, GA
(478) 923-7722
signpimp50@hotmail.com

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Sir Issac Newton

Posts: 3528 | From: Warner Robins, GA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob Peach
Resident

Member # 2620

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bob Peach   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Peach   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My Honda is sensitive to the UPS scanner.
I was sitting in the car in a parking lot and as the UPS guy was walking by punching in numbers for his delivery...my doors were locking and unlocking!!

--------------------
Bob & Marcia Peach
Peach Signs Inc
Sandwich, MA
rpeach9828@aol.com

Posts: 1020 | From: Sandwich, MA | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ricky Jackson
Visitor
Member # 5082

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ricky Jackson   Email Ricky Jackson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow, next time I want to get in a car, I'm calling UPS! They're cheaper than a locksmith and if they're not there by 10:30, they'll open your car for free. [Smile]

--------------------
Ricky Jackson
Signs Now
614 Russell Parkway
Warner Robins, GA
(478) 923-7722
signpimp50@hotmail.com

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Sir Issac Newton

Posts: 3528 | From: Warner Robins, GA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dana Stanley
Visitor
Member # 6786

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dana Stanley   Author's Homepage   Email Dana Stanley       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When I start my 97 Chevy pick up the doors lock automatically. In the winter when I start it and don't want to get in and get white stuff all over the floor, I Start it with the door open. Now I have a spare key in my wallet.

--------------------
Dana Stanley
Mass.
(508) 234-8193
http://stanleyphotographer.com

Posts: 805 | From: Whitinsville,Mass USA | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joey Madden
Resident

Member # 1192

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joey Madden   Author's Homepage   Email Joey Madden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Believe it or not I once fell out of a car I was steering when the electric door malfunctioned and opened the door. It was a full custom 54 Merc which was being towed via chain and I collected insurance money over it after the lawsuit. I was doing the guy a favor and only after he treated me so rotten did my parents sue him, I was about 16 then. I couldn't work for two months and yet no one ever said my lines were any worse during that time.

--------------------
HotLines Joey Madden - pinstriping since 1952
'Perfection, its what I look for and what I live for'

http://members.tripod.com/Inflite
http://www.pinheadlounge.com/hotlinesjoeymadden

Posts: 5962 | From: USA | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dana Bowers
Resident

Member # 780

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dana Bowers   Author's Homepage   Email Dana Bowers   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Make a long story VERY short...

While staying at my folks place, my car wouldn't start.
AAA came out to start it, with my Dad there and me at work.

They started it, then left, and my Dad came out to the car
after it ran awhile to charge the battery.

AAA locked the keys in the car. [Bash]

Took them about 5 hours or so to come back to unlock it.

You think PT Cruisers get lousy gas mileage when moving?
They get even worse when standing still...

--------------------
Dana Ferry
St Cloud, MN

Posts: 1556 | From: St Cloud, MN | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
David Harding
Resident

Member # 108

Icon 1 posted      Profile for David Harding   Author's Homepage   Email David Harding   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A while back, I was leaving the Home Depot parking lot and noticed some debris in the road. No traffic was in sight, and being a nice guy, I quickly stopped, jumped out of the pickup, tossed the object in the back, and realized I'd locked myself out of my own truck. There I was, halfway out of Home Depot's parking lot into a major street. I had to wait over thirty minutes to get in touch with my wife and have her come over and rescue me.

During that half hour, many considerate people showed they appreciated my altruistic nature by hand signs, signaling that I was #1 in their book.

--------------------
David Harding
A Sign of Excellence
Carrollton, TX

Posts: 5084 | From: Carrollton, TX, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Michael Boone
Deceased

Member # 308

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Michael Boone     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
drive old junk....you wont have that problem

--------------------
Michael Boone
Sign Painter
5828 Buerman Rd.Sodus,NY 14551

Posts: 3223 | From: Sodus,NY,USA | Registered: Dec 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Moon
Visitor
Member # 452

Icon 14 posted      Profile for The Moon   Email The Moon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Amen Boone!

Ole' Red- '55 Chevy P/U
The Ice Queen- '66 Ford Mustang
The Beast- '77 Chevy Blazer
and my new "baby" '94 Toyota Celica I call Dani... I drive her like I think I'm Danika Patrick. LOL But she handles so well on these Mountain Roads that wind about the forest trees and around the peaks and valleys.

None of them have auto lock and I can open three of them with a butter knife. (if neccessary, via the wind wing windows... found that out when I was having a truely blonde moment one day)

Jon- My daughter has the same demon living in her Jetta- auto locks go on/off on a whim. When I drive it the windows are ALWAYS down.

I think the guy that set up the auto lock feature must be related to the computer guy that set up the mood swings in our computers. (tell me these things don't have personalities and attitudes! LOL My computer throws tantrums weekly)

I think this all a preview as to what we'll have to deal with when personal robots make their debut.

The Old School side of the Moon
Stef

--------------------
The Moon
aka: Stefenie Harris
Moonlight Designs
Pollock Pines, CA
learnin' somethin' new every day!
stefenie@comcast.net

Posts: 550 | From: Pollock Pines, CA, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!