Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » Why is my shadow so bright?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Why is my shadow so bright?
thom miller
Visitor
Member # 1845

Icon 1 posted      Profile for thom miller   Email thom miller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is it just me...

After years of searching, I have yet to see my shadow turn a brighter color than the surface that it is cast on. YET, I keep getting art work from "graphic artists" which have shadows added to the graphics that are a completely different color than the background (amazing!).

Today's color combination: Light blue background, black lettering, and BRIGHT YELLOW shadow.

--------------------
Thom
CREATIVE SIGNWORKS
Lancaster,PA
creativesignworks1@juno.com

Posts: 79 | From: lancaster,PA usa | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jillbeans
Resident

Member # 1912

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jillbeans   Author's Homepage   Email Jillbeans   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's one of my pet peeves too, Thom.
For some reason most "signfolks" don't seem to understand that the sun doesn't cast a bright shadow.
I love a good natural shadow, something rarely seen these days.
Lots of time the light source isn't even a consideration. We get bevels and highlights all over the place on some signs and wraps, regardless of where the sun might be shining.
And drop shadows in every hue, some even in diamond plate.
[Smile]
Love....Jill

Posts: 8834 | From: Butler, PA, USA | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeff Ogden
Resident

Member # 3184

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jeff Ogden   Email Jeff Ogden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thom...

My opinion, is that you can go either way.

If you want a natural shade, then make it darker than the background. But I have seen times, when a couple of notches higher (lighter), worked well. If you get the color right, letters will look backlit.

It's all dependent on the background. For example, I have seen stuff on fire trucks that seemed to violate all the "rules" of color theory, yet still looked good.

The gold obviously had a lot to do with it, but it wasn't everything. It's kinda like taking something that would have been spectacular on it's own, then adding on (or embellishing), until it arrived at a higher point that you could live with.

No point in going overboard, though.

--------------------
Jeff Ogden
8727 NE 68 Terr.
Gainesville FL, 32609

Posts: 2138 | From: 8827 NE 68 Terr Gainesville Fl 32609 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Todd Gill
Resident

Member # 2569

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Todd Gill   Email Todd Gill   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You talking strictly "shadow"....?

A gradient glow around a letter can mean that the letter is backlit....

I see what you mean though...I can't think of an instant where I had (as example) a red letter and a yellow dropshadow....

Maybe you should make sure the graphic artists you deal with are certified to have successfully passed drug screening...LOL

--------------------
Todd Gill
Outside The Lines
Potterville, MI

Posts: 7792 | From: Potterville, MI | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Taylor
Visitor
Member # 162

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Glenn Taylor   Author's Homepage   Email Glenn Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The rule of thumb around my shop is "when it looks right, it is right."

--------------------
BlueDog Graphics
Wilson, NC

www.BlueDogUSA.com

Warning: A well designed sign may cause fatigue due to increased business.

Posts: 10690 | From: Wilson, NC, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jillbeans
Resident

Member # 1912

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jillbeans   Author's Homepage   Email Jillbeans   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mike Jackson has a nice article on shadows here:
http://www.signcraft.com/MJackson93.pdf

Also, I was thinking about some of the signs I've seen while in the UK.
They have some beautiful split-blended shades that make a word look like a piece of jewelry.
I make an exception to what I said earlier about shadows always having to be natural.
Here's someone who can do the best shading and signwork I've ever seen:
http://www.cranberrysigncraft.com/
Karen can get away with any kind of shadow she likes!
[Smile]
I remember reading years ago that she doesn't even need to put phone numbers on her own sign.
I always thought that was pretty cool.
Love....Jill

Posts: 8834 | From: Butler, PA, USA | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
thom miller
Visitor
Member # 1845

Icon 1 posted      Profile for thom miller   Email thom miller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I understand what you are saying with the examples of Firetruck lettering, and other ornamental styles. Those, for sure, have thier own rules. My complaint is the commercial sign or banner where the "artist" simply adds a shadow because they can, without any vision for color.

Jill, I agree with you about Karen's work... outstanding!

--------------------
Thom
CREATIVE SIGNWORKS
Lancaster,PA

Posts: 79 | From: lancaster,PA usa | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
old paint
Visitor
Member # 549

Icon 1 posted      Profile for old paint   Email old paint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
tom problem is most of the " new graphic artists"(those who can afford a $30k printer but have ZERO ART TRAINING OR TALENT)are doin suff that is totally absurd to all "old school sign artists training."
i see some of the WRAPS that somewhere within all the "eyecandy",photoshop tricks and backgrounds ..........THERE WAS A MESSAGE.....OR SIGN)))))))

--------------------
joe pribish-A SIGN MINT
2811 longleaf Dr.
pensacola, fl 32526
850-637-1519
BEWARE THE TRUTH.....YOU MAY NOT LIKE WHAT YOU FIND

Posts: 11582 | From: pensacola, fl. usa | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
thom miller
Visitor
Member # 1845

"Just because you can, doesn't mean you should"

Right now I'm working with an agency that is designing a billboard for their client,(Can you say red flag?).
After a few calculations, It was discovered that the text(Insised LIGHT), would end up at 4.5" high! The artist wanted to know if you would be able to read it from 100'away driving by at 40 MPH. And my response would be...

--------------------
Thom
CREATIVE SIGNWORKS
Lancaster,PA

Jillbeans
Resident

Member # 1912

Icon 12 posted      Profile for Jillbeans   Author's Homepage   Email Jillbeans   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
"Just because you can, doesn't mean you should"
That's one of my favorite sayings.
Another is Gene Golden's signature:
"Art is knowing when to stop"
Too bad more people don't realize these simple truths, rather than always trying to think outside the box or bend the envelope.
I believe there are a few time-tested design rules that are always a good idea to obey.
Too bad they don't print them in handbooks and give them out free with the printers and plotters.
Love....Jill

thom miller
Visitor
Member # 1845

Better idea...You have to pass a test on the basics of layout BEFORE you can purchase software, printers, plotters, etc.

Bad grade....no soup for you!

--------------------
Thom
CREATIVE SIGNWORKS
Lancaster,PA

Arthur Vanson
Deceased

Member # 2855

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Arthur Vanson   Author's Homepage   Email Arthur Vanson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just to underline Mike Jackson's comments about misleading terminology and to suggest that on occasion it's legitimate to have shading brighter than lettering.
Also to show a couple of examples.
My father always called blended shade exactly that, unless he added a counter shadow to cut-off blending overstrokes.The blended shade would then become 'blocking' or 'blended blocking' to confirm that it represented a built-up (or 3D) letter.
I notice a lot of recently done blended shade runs parallel to the letter edge. In the past it was often angled and had illogical underglows. Illogical, maybe – but I rather liked it.

-

I wrote the sign below some thirty years ago. It was a direct copy of an earlier one done by Brian Walker, a writer I worked with in my teens. Looking at it now, I wish I'd put a black outline between the lettering and blocking, even though the soft focus is not helping to define the lettering.

-

--------------------
Arthur Vanson
Bucks Signs
Chesham, Buckinghamshire,
England
arthur@buckssigns.co.uk
--------------------

Posts: 805 | From: Chesham, Bucks, England | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jillbeans
Resident

Member # 1912

Love that top example, Arthur.
I remember at the 2005 Mazeppa meet seeing Jordo doing a similar style of decorative shading with an odd shadow.
It was really unique.
The effect is quite striking on the bottom sign.
I'd go cross-eyed trying to replicate that!
Love....Jill

Rick Sacks
Resident

Member # 379

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rick Sacks   Author's Homepage   Email Rick Sacks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Arthur, as an apprentice I was introduced to these 2x4's with a foot nailed on for stability and matching holes every six inches and movable dowels to adjust the height of the sign being lettered. I've always used these, and have a question for you about them. I've always heard them referred to as "mares" and never understood from where that term derives. Any clues?

Oh, to keep this on topic, I've been seeing strange color shadows recently. Seems like the fires somehow filter out the yellows and blues leaving the shadows to all have a reddish cast.

--------------------
The SignShop
Mendocino, California

http://www.mendosign.com

Making the simple complicated is commonplace;
making the complicated simple, awesomely simple, that's creativity. — Charles Mingus

Posts: 6714 | From: Mendocino, CA. USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
thom miller
Visitor
Member # 1845

Shading vs. shadows, two different things.
Shading the sides of the letters as if the letter is 3-D, as shown in Arthur's "ZE" sample is fine to use lights, darks whatever works.
This is common with the decorative work on Firetrucks referred to earlier.
But the shadow effect, in my opinion, works best if a darker tone of the background color is used. Like Arthur's second photo showing the black on red.

--------------------
Thom
CREATIVE SIGNWORKS
Lancaster,PA

Arthur Vanson
Deceased

Member # 2855

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Arthur Vanson   Author's Homepage   Email Arthur Vanson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry Rick, that cropped photo might be a bit misleading, here is the full shot. As you see the board is standing on an old easel. Dad bought a job lot in an Army Surplus sale!
I'm afraid I'm not familiar with term 'mares' in that context.

-

Thanks Jill, glad you liked that shading, it's quite satisfying arranging different colours and effects. As you can see, more or less anything goes as long as it follows some kind of pattern.

--------------------
Arthur Vanson
Bucks Signs
Chesham, Buckinghamshire,
England
arthur@buckssigns.co.uk
--------------------

Posts: 805 | From: Chesham, Bucks, England | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ricky Jackson
Visitor
Member # 5082

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ricky Jackson   Email Ricky Jackson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's simple: five more weeks of winter.

--------------------
Ricky Jackson
Signs Now
614 Russell Parkway
Warner Robins, GA
(478) 923-7722
signpimp50@hotmail.com

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Sir Issac Newton

Posts: 3528 | From: Warner Robins, GA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!