Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » Help with Native American "look"

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Help with Native American "look"
Mike Murray
Visitor
Member # 840

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike Murray   Email Mike Murray       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am working on a design for a logo/sign package right now and need a font with a Native American look/feel. I searched around but can't find anything to spur ideas. Customer showed me a font that they like but, well, you know how that goes....... I have tried the Papyrus font, but not sure that has the look I want. Any other ideas?

--------------------
Mike Murray
Murray Signs
Freeport IL

Posts: 193 | From: Freeport IL USA | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ken Henry
Visitor
Member # 598

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ken Henry   Email Ken Henry   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How "authentic" do you want to go ??

If you're going for a genuine look that's as authentic as you can get, you could use the Cherokee Alphabet ( yes, it is an alphabet that was written by the Cherokee Nation and still is in usage today )

Here's a link :

http://www.whitfieldcountyga.com/images/CherAlph.jpg

Note, that the actual alphabet has been "Romanized" for lack of a better term, but there's a guide to the proper usage and pronunciations.

Other tribes used pictographic images to communicate ideas and messages. If you do a "Google Search for "Pictographs North American", you should get some good reference sites.

Hope this helps.

--------------------
Ken Henry
Henry & Henry Signs
London, Ontario Canada
(519) 439-1881
e-mail: kjmlhenry@rogers.com

Why do I get all those on-line offers to sell me Viagara, when the only thing hardening is my arteries ?

Posts: 2684 | From: London,Ontario, Canada | Registered: Feb 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Michael Gene Adkins
Merchant

Member # 882

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Michael Gene Adkins   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Gene Adkins   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
that link will give you the authentic alphabet, but here's the fully "Romanized/English" version that I made to appeal to the local "Cherokee Pride," as I am smack dab in the center of Cherokee Nation--and married to a blonde-haired Cherokee!!!

-

Show this to your client and tell them this is the only authentic native american alphabet there is. And then go from there. Should you actually need the font file, let me know. I'll give it free to anybody who wants it.

--------------------
Michael Gene Adkins
The Fontry
1576 S Hwy 59
Watts OK 74964

Posts: 845 | From: Watts, OK USA | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ken Henry
Visitor
Member # 598

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ken Henry   Email Ken Henry   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Gene Adkins:

Show this to your client and tell them this is the only authentic native american alphabet there is. And then go from there.

Actually, Gene, there is another one. The Innuit peoples ( also known as Eskimos ) also have their own alphabet, but it's primarily used in the high Arctic areas of Northern Canada and Alaska. I thought that the Cherokee one would be more suitable, given the original poster's location.

--------------------
Ken Henry
Henry & Henry Signs
London, Ontario Canada
(519) 439-1881

Why do I get all those on-line offers to sell me Viagara, when the only thing hardening is my arteries ?

Posts: 2684 | From: London,Ontario, Canada | Registered: Feb 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Michael Gene Adkins
Merchant

Member # 882

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Michael Gene Adkins   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Gene Adkins   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ken,

Is there a place to look at their (Innuit) alphabet? Images, etc? Sounds interesting! I did not know that! I'd always been told the Cherokee alphabet was the "only" one. Guess they weren't counting outside the contiguous states. Did it get Romanized or did it stay true to form?

also ... wanna bet the Cherokee alphabet will be too much for Mike's client? Car tags is about as far as it ever goes around here. Too many people in my area can actually read the actual alphabet, and to use my fully romanized and altered version on a full-blown sign would create chaos and confusion.

--------------------
Michael Gene Adkins
The Fontry
1576 S Hwy 59
Watts OK 74964

Posts: 845 | From: Watts, OK USA | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ken Henry
Visitor
Member # 598

Hi Michael.

Here's a link that'll provide you with a lot of information on the Innuit Alphabet. Apparently there are different versions depending on where the Innuit people hail from ( Russia, Greenland, Canada, Alaska )

http://www.omniglot.com/writing/inuktitut.htm

--------------------
Ken Henry
Henry & Henry Signs
London, Ontario Canada
(519) 439-1881

Michael Gene Adkins
Merchant

Member # 882

Lacking a better way to describe it, that is just too cool-!!! And best yet, the shapes don't remind me of anything roman, cyrillic, etc. Maybe greek, perhaps, or even better, the X-files-!!!

I love the uniformity-!!! I think Mike should get a translation done and build his sign with that font-!!! LOL-ing

--------------------
Michael Gene Adkins
The Fontry
1576 S Hwy 59
Watts OK 74964

old paint
Visitor
Member # 549

Icon 1 posted      Profile for old paint   Email old paint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i did this years ago in sarasota. closest indian style i could get.  -

--------------------
joe pribish-A SIGN MINT
2811 longleaf Dr.
pensacola, fl 32526
850-637-1519
BEWARE THE TRUTH.....YOU MAY NOT LIKE WHAT YOU FIND

Posts: 11582 | From: pensacola, fl. usa | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rick Sacks
Resident

Member # 379

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rick Sacks   Author's Homepage   Email Rick Sacks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mike, I'd certainly like that font

--------------------
The SignShop
Mendocino, California

http://www.mendosign.com

Making the simple complicated is commonplace;
making the complicated simple, awesomely simple, that's creativity. — Charles Mingus

Posts: 6724 | From: Mendocino, CA. USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Michael Gene Adkins
Merchant

Member # 882

It's yours Rick --- I am firing it your way about 11:45 pm central time.

be warned --- the complete set is 26 UC characters and that is it. I never made numbers, punctuation, etc. This was strictly cartags and names on windows only, not a commmercial/business oriented venture.

have fun with it!

--------------------
Michael Gene Adkins
The Fontry
1576 S Hwy 59
Watts OK 74964

Bill Lynch
Resident

Member # 3815

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bill Lynch   Email Bill Lynch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The look should depend on which nation your client belonds to...
an Inuit will look different fron Sioux will look different from Hopi...
Look at their color and decoration used on their traditional pottery, clothing, jewelry etc for ideas.

--------------------
Bill Lynch
Century Sign
Hamden, CT
centurysign@snet.net

Posts: 1126 | From: Hamden, CT | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jillbeans
Resident

Member # 1912

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jillbeans   Author's Homepage   Email Jillbeans   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ooh me too!
Pretty please with a cherry on top?
Love....Jill

Posts: 8834 | From: Butler, PA, USA | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Michael Gene Adkins
Merchant

Member # 882

I should have just sent Jill a copy first-!!! like she wouldn't want it!

Back on the topic of what font to use for native american stuff---

The cherokee nation's signage in this part of the country usually relies on strong, wide romans with thin strokes such as americana, or even heavy romans with a more rudimentary shape, such as albertus and goudy old style and garamond and others.

also: my fellow font designer James L Stirling designed a font called Keetoowah while working at a print shop in Tahlequah, OK (seat of the cherokee nation). It is a fun face for shirts, license plates, etc. It was quite popular but was hardly practical for the corporate identity side of things.

It can be viewed at:

http://www.thefontry.com/wildbunchpak2

Don't know if any of this will help, but something to consider is that the more classic the roman, the more it tends to get used to identify native american related topics. At least in my neck of the woods.

well, gotta go email jill her font-!!!!

--------------------
Michael Gene Adkins
The Fontry
1576 S Hwy 59
Watts OK 74964

Mike Murray
Visitor
Member # 840

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike Murray   Email Mike Murray       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks everyone for the replies. This doesn't have to be authentic as far as the font goes. None of the people involved with the company are Indian, in fact they are probably as far from it as you could get. It's just the name, "Indian Creek", that made me want it to have the Indian "feel".

I did learn some interesting facts with some of the other posts along the way here though......

--------------------
Mike Murray
Murray Signs
Freeport IL

Posts: 193 | From: Freeport IL USA | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Michael Gene Adkins
Merchant

Member # 882

Then how 'bout this?

-

boy--this board is just full of advice, ain't it?

--------------------
Michael Gene Adkins
The Fontry
1576 S Hwy 59
Watts OK 74964

Bob Noyes
Visitor
Member # 8317

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bob Noyes   Email Bob Noyes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey Mike, I'd love to have copy of your font. I'm working on a montage project right now that would be perfect to your font with.

Thanks,

--------------------
Bob Noyes
Digital Graffiti
310 Main St NE
Mapleton, MN 56065

Posts: 130 | From: Mapleton, MN | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sonny Franks
Resident

Member # 588

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sonny Franks   Email Sonny Franks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I used a typeface called Lithos Black (from Signlab) on a sign for "Indian Acres". It's somewhat similar to Joe and Michael's posted above, but much simpler - it worked very well with a repeated triangle and horizontal bar border.

This one would also probably do the trick:
http://www.dafont.com/narnia-bll.font

--------------------
www.signcreations.net
Sonny Franks
Lilburn, GA
770-923-9933

Posts: 4115 | From: Lilburn, GA USA | Registered: Feb 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jillbeans
Resident

Member # 1912

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jillbeans   Author's Homepage   Email Jillbeans   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks to both Mikes, one for posting this question and one for the free font!
By the way, I really like that second font too Mike...
hahaha
And Sonny, Lithos might look good on a sign with that theme. There's a motel in a town north of here called the Eagle Rock Motel, I swear it used all-caps Rickshaw with a totem-pole-looking eagle on it, and it works somehow.
http://www.searchfreefonts.com/free/rickshaw.htm
It's listed as Chinese Takeaway here:
http://simplythebest.net/fonts/asian_fonts.html
Love....Jill

Posts: 8834 | From: Butler, PA, USA | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike Murray
Visitor
Member # 840

Michael, what is the name of that font? I may try that one out.

Sonny, I started a design with a font similar to Lithos, just called Informal. I'll post it when I get somewhat happy with the design.

Hey Jill, is this logo? If it is, I agree, it does work somehow.

-

--------------------
Mike Murray
Murray Signs
Freeport IL

Michael Gene Adkins
Merchant

Member # 882

It's an Alf R Becker font/alphabet that I never finished. It's called Jitter Display and hails from Signs of the Times Magazine, December 1939. All it has is uppercase, numbers, a comma, a period and a hyphen.

It's yours if you need it. It was meant for scary halloween stuff, but I think it could work as a "campground" font.

--------------------
Michael Gene Adkins
The Fontry
1576 S Hwy 59
Watts OK 74964

Jillbeans
Resident

Member # 1912

That's it, Mike.
See what I mean?
And thanks to the "other Mike" again, you know I love me some Alf Becker.
Love....Jill

Mike Murray
Visitor
Member # 840

Michael, I'd like to have that font. Thanks in advance!

--------------------
Mike Murray
Murray Signs
Freeport IL

Michael Gene Adkins
Merchant

Member # 882

mike

email me at:

the_fontry@yahoo.com

i'll reply back with the font

--------------------
Michael Gene Adkins
The Fontry
1576 S Hwy 59
Watts OK 74964

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!