Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » Tricky Perforated Print Application

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Tricky Perforated Print Application
Corey Wine
Resident

Member # 1640

Icon 10 posted      Profile for Corey Wine   Author's Homepage   Email Corey Wine       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey there...
We are applying perforated material to a rear window of a Jeep Compass. This window curves both up and down and left and right. Not to mention the wiper blade could be an issue.

I am looking for any tips or tricks on how to apply perf. to this curved window to avoid any pleating or such.

We like flat windows much better!

--------------------
Corey Wine
SignCONCEPTS
Airdrie, Alberta, Canada

Posts: 670 | From: Airdrie, Alberta, Canada | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Russ McMullin
Resident

Member # 5617

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Russ McMullin   Author's Homepage   Email Russ McMullin       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I did some van windows last week that were curved. I applied the perf material without app tape, and used a center hinge method. I had at least 2" beyond the window edge on all sides.

My hand works better than a squeegee to smooth out the material. When I use a squeegee, I can't feel what's going on, and before I know it there are wrinkles forming. If that happens, I slowly pull it back beyond the wrinkles and try again. Going nice and slow seems to be the ticket.

I'm not sure how you're going to handle that wiper. If you can't take the wiper arm off, you might need to make a hole first, then slice from the hole to the bottom of the material. That way the perf material can fit around it and lay flat before you start the application.

--------------------
Russ McMullin
Tooele, UT
www.mcmullincreative.com

My mind wanders. And that's not a good thing, 'cause it's too small to be out there alone.

Posts: 3129 | From: Tooele, UT | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bruce Evans
Visitor
Member # 44

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bruce Evans   Email Bruce Evans       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Perf is supposed to be laminated and the lam is a polyester clear which will only take a slight curve, but only in one direction.

--------------------
Bruce Evans
Crown Graphics
Chino, CA
graphics@westcoach.net

Posts: 913 | From: Chino, CA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!