Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » Police Car Lettering Pricing

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Police Car Lettering Pricing
Jerry Starpoli
Visitor
Member # 1559

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jerry Starpoli   Author's Homepage   Email Jerry Starpoli       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is there a rule of thumb formula for these cars? I have never done one in my many years of making signs. Seems to be a lot of reflective involved and a lot of labor. I have no idea where to start.

[ April 01, 2008, 05:17 PM: Message edited by: Jerry Starpoli ]

--------------------
Jerry Starpoli
Starpoli Signs... since 1952

845-795-2438

Posts: 446 | From: Milton, NY US | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dale Feicke
Resident

Member # 767

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dale Feicke   Email Dale Feicke   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There are a lot of websites that sell pre-made 'packages' for all types of municipal vehicles. That would be a good place to start, to get some kind of baseline.

--------------------
Dale Feicke Grafix
714 East St.
Mendenhall, MS 39114

"I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me."

Posts: 2963 | From: Mendenhall, MS | Registered: Apr 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dale Feicke
Resident

Member # 767

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dale Feicke   Email Dale Feicke   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

[ April 02, 2008, 09:16 AM: Message edited by: Dale Feicke ]

--------------------
Dale Feicke Grafix
714 East St.
Mendenhall, MS 39114

Posts: 2963 | From: Mendenhall, MS | Registered: Apr 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jane Diaz
Resident

Member # 595

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jane Diaz   Author's Homepage   Email Jane Diaz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://www.grafixshoppe.com/PublicSafety-LawEnforcement-GraphicKits.asp

--------------------
Jane Diaz
Diaz Sign Art
628 W. Lincoln Ave. Pontiac, Il. 61764
815-844-7024
www.diazsignart.com

Posts: 4102 | From: Pontiac, IL USA | Registered: Feb 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Michael Gene Adkins
Merchant

Member # 882

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Michael Gene Adkins   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Gene Adkins   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've done a ton of police cars over the years, and I've learned that you should NEVER undercharge on these as they are vinyl eating monsters. Even simple applications take up time, shop space and vinyl. For Hi-performance with no crazy stuff beyond a couple of straightforward colors and graphic arrangments my minimum is $400. If your design looks really bold and dynamic, most people will readily approve this price. If it takes more than half a day and there are a lot of elements in the design and more than $50 in materials, start raising the price accordingly!!!

--------------------
Michael Gene Adkins
The Fontry
1576 S Hwy 59
Watts OK 74964

Posts: 845 | From: Watts, OK USA | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jerry Starpoli
Visitor
Member # 1559

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jerry Starpoli   Author's Homepage   Email Jerry Starpoli       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The design I was given to reproduce is a lot of reflective. Red and White reflective and Black High Performance. I was told the last shop did this car for $450. Maybe that is why they didn't come back.
I was thinking more in the $850 range and thought that might be lowballing it. I will try to post a picture in the morning.

--------------------
Jerry Starpoli

845-795-2438

Posts: 446 | From: Milton, NY US | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jerry Starpoli
Visitor
Member # 1559

The design I was given to reproduce is a lot of reflective. Red and White reflective and Black High Performance. I was told the last shop did this car for $450. Maybe that is why they didn't come back.
I was thinking more in the $850 range and thought that might be lowballing it. I will try to post a picture in the morning.

--------------------
Jerry Starpoli

845-795-2438

Lee McKee
Visitor
Member # 3533

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lee McKee   Email Lee McKee       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm finishing a similar vehicle this morning. Red and White reflective vinyl on a High Performance black base. I thought that I would be charging around $600.00 for the job but, I've already gone through 10yds of reflective and even more black that that. Now I'm thinking that I need to get at least $750.00 to cover the headache.

--------------------
Lee McKee
McKee Studios
Birmingham, Al
Planet Earth (sometimes)

Posts: 277 | From: Birmingham, Al | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jerry Starpoli
Visitor
Member # 1559

Here's the side. Trunk and Roof also lettered

http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/nn160/JerryStar/204PoliceSide.jpg

I hope this comes through

--------------------
Jerry Starpoli

845-795-2438

Dale Feicke
Resident

Member # 767

I'd say Lee is quite in the ballpark. That reflective, particularly if you use the 'good' reflective, is very expensive.

--------------------
Dale Feicke Grafix
714 East St.
Mendenhall, MS 39114

Bill Lynch
Resident

Member # 3815

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bill Lynch   Email Bill Lynch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cool looking car.
The last shop was doing it for the cost of the graphics package and applying it for free, which is why they'e not doing it anymore.
These jobs are about $750-1000.
Only use the good stuff 3M or Gerber here.

--------------------
Bill Lynch
Century Sign
Hamden, CT
centurysign@snet.net

Posts: 1127 | From: Hamden, CT | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jamie Nicholson
Resident

Member # 6690

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jamie Nicholson   Email Jamie Nicholson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

[ April 02, 2008, 10:11 AM: Message edited by: Jamie Nicholson ]

--------------------
Jamie Nicholson
Graphics 'n Signs by Trimline
Kenora, Ontario

Posts: 96 | From: Kenora, Ontario | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jamie Nicholson
Resident

Member # 6690

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jamie Nicholson   Email Jamie Nicholson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I decal 20 to 30 police trucks a year. Usually 10 or 15 at a time. It takes 2 days to make all the graphics for all of them. That is with the edge and 2 plotters running none stop. I have done so many of them that install is approximately an hour. I usually pick the vehicles up, so another 1/2 hour per vehicle. I charge $850 per vehicle

--------------------
Jamie Nicholson
Graphics 'n Signs by Trimline
Kenora, Ontario

Posts: 96 | From: Kenora, Ontario | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jane Diaz
Resident

Member # 595

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jane Diaz   Author's Homepage   Email Jane Diaz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here's another thought....we do several police/ sheriff cars and when they DO have to stay within a certain budget, eliminate SOME of the reflective. In the example you showed, the black could be reflective but the red could be regular vinyl and save them quite a bit.

--------------------
Jane Diaz
Diaz Sign Art
628 W. Lincoln Ave. Pontiac, Il. 61764
815-844-7024
www.diazsignart.com

Posts: 4102 | From: Pontiac, IL USA | Registered: Feb 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Checkers
Resident

Member # 63

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Checkers   Author's Homepage   Email Checkers   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hiya Jerry,
The only rule of thumb I've noticed is no matter what you quote, it's too expensive - even if you donate it [Smile]

Since the design looks fairly simple and easy to reproduce, I would shoot from the hip and ballpark $750 for the first one and about $500-$600 for repeat work - depending on the other details and installation time. It looks like the design could be cut out of a 15" x 30' roll and there shouldn't be much material left over. I'm also assuming you're only doing 1 car a year. If it was a fleet of 3 or more of the same vehicles per year, I probably could go lower.

The other things to consider before quoting are...

How long will it take to re-create the design?

How many additional cars (if any) are they going to do in a typical year?

Will all the cars be exactly the same?

Do you stock the materials? If you normally don't stock the reflective colors they want, you may need to plunk down $200+ on a 24" roll of reflective that may be used just for this job.

Will you get the repair work - if any?

Back in Jersey, the shop I worked for used to letter the local police department fleet. We lettered a minimum of 3 cars a year, plus all of of the repair work - about 2 to 4 additional cars in a typical year.
Since we created the design and did all of the work, we maintained an inventory of vinyl/graphics and had very little waste when the cars were complete. This meant we could be competitively priced and still maintain a good profit margin.

Havin' fun,

Checkers

--------------------
a.k.a. Brian Born
www.CheckersCustom.com
Harrisburg, Pa
Work Smart, Play Hard

Posts: 3775 | From: Harrisburg, Pa. U.S.A. | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jerry Starpoli
Visitor
Member # 1559

The white and Red are Reflective. Black on the car shown appears to be Intermediate. I would not do that. The more I look at this job, the price edges closer to a G note.

--------------------
Jerry Starpoli

845-795-2438

old paint
Visitor
Member # 549

Icon 1 posted      Profile for old paint   Email old paint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
how much do you owe em for speeping and parking violations???)))))))))))))))
or be nice to them......so they dont bring in code inforcement or the fire inspector))))))

[ April 02, 2008, 02:03 PM: Message edited by: old paint ]

--------------------
joe pribish-A SIGN MINT
2811 longleaf Dr.
pensacola, fl 32526
850-637-1519
BEWARE THE TRUTH.....YOU MAY NOT LIKE WHAT YOU FIND

Posts: 11582 | From: pensacola, fl. usa | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jerry Starpoli
Visitor
Member # 1559

Maybe I should donate the proceeds to the PBA. That way I can buy their beer too.

--------------------
Jerry Starpoli

845-795-2438

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!