Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » DiBond or Alucobond Black "Granite" ?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: DiBond or Alucobond Black "Granite" ?
Gene Golden
Resident

Member # 3934

Icon 5 posted      Profile for Gene Golden   Author's Homepage   Email Gene Golden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have a job to replace a "Granite" sign.
I looked carefully at the material on the existing EXTERIOR sign, and it is a DiBond type material.
It appears to be factory-finished with a black granite surface. From a few feet away, it looks just like the real thing.

I know it is NOT just a vinyl print applied to the DiBond.

I can't find it listed as a product anywhere local (although I think I found one in China).
Does anyone know a Mid-Atlantic supplier?
I will be needing about 130-150 s/f total.

--------------------
Gene Golden
Gettysburg Signs
Gettysburg PA 17325 717-334-0200
genegolden@gettysburgsigns.com

"Art is knowing when to stop."

Posts: 1578 | From: Gettysburg, PA | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brad Farha
Visitor
Member # 931

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brad Farha   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Farha   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nudo Polymetal comes in "marble" colors.

--------------------
Brad Farha, owner
Farha Signs
Beckley, WV
304-252-3778

Posts: 981 | From: Beckley, WV | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gene Golden
Resident

Member # 3934

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gene Golden   Author's Homepage   Email Gene Golden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Brad, thanks, but if they have it you SURE as hell can't find it on their site!
Rolling, flashing, fading... JUST GIVE ME INFO. [Mad]
I can't stand sites like that.
No search either.

--------------------
Gene Golden
Gettysburg Signs

Posts: 1578 | From: Gettysburg, PA | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Adam M Cranmer
Visitor
Member # 8100

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Adam M Cranmer   Email Adam M Cranmer       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe the panels were printed straight to the board on a flatbed. Just a thought.

--------------------
Adam Cranmer
3545 Forest Park Drive
Kissimmee, FL 34741

Posts: 72 | From: Kissimmee, FL | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gene Golden
Resident

Member # 3934

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gene Golden   Author's Homepage   Email Gene Golden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I touched, scraped, peeled etc, and it really appears to be a factory finish.
The outer finish is too perfect to be printed and sprayed by a custom shop.

--------------------
Gene Golden
Gettysburg Signs

Joe Crumley
Visitor
Member # 2307

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joe Crumley   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When you find the answer, please share it with us.

I agree with your response to websites with all the hokey flashes.

--------------------
Joe Crumley
Norman Sign Company
2200 Research Park Blvd.
Norman, OK

Posts: 1428 | From: 2200 Research Park Blvd. | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jay Allen
Resident

Member # 195

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jay Allen   Author's Homepage   Email Jay Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A few years back there was a company that produced REAL granite veneers on a honeycomb core of either plastic or aluminum (I'm remembering aluminum).

Could it be that product, Gene? Or do you see a screenprint pattern on the factory finish?

I'd love to see a product like that (that would last outdoors) - so I'll be following this thread . . .

--------------------
Jay Allen
ShawCraft Sign Co.
Machesney Park, IL
jallen222@aol.com
http://www.shawcraft.com/

"The object of the superior man is truth."
-Confucius

Posts: 1285 | From: Machesney Park, IL, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
David Harding
Resident

Member # 108

Icon 1 posted      Profile for David Harding   Author's Homepage   Email David Harding   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Alpolic had a line of stone colors. I haven't researched to see where it's available. There is a company about two miles from me, Stone Panels, that cuts stone into 1/4" veneer which is laminated to an Aluminum/fiberglas honeycomb and used for building fascias.

--------------------
David Harding
A Sign of Excellence
Carrollton, TX

Posts: 5089 | From: Carrollton, TX, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cam Bortz
Visitor
Member # 55

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cam Bortz   Email Cam Bortz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You guys are missing out on the fun of creating your own granite finish! A little paint and a dose of creativity can go a long way...

--------------------
"A wise man concerns himself with the truth, not with what people believe." - Aristotle

Cam Bortz
Finest Kind Signs
Pondside Iron works
256 S. Broad St.
Pawcatuck, Ct. 06379
"Award winning Signs since 1988"

Posts: 3051 | From: Pawcatuck,Connecticut USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joe Crumley
Visitor
Member # 2307

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joe Crumley   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That dog gone Dave has everyting. Between him and Chapman, I want to move down there where the living is easy, fish are jumping, and the cotton is high.

--------------------
Joe Crumley
Norman Sign Company
2200 Research Park Blvd.
Norman, OK

Posts: 1428 | From: 2200 Research Park Blvd. | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gene Golden
Resident

Member # 3934

One thing I haven't thrown into this mix yet, is that this sign is "internally illuminated".

It has a complete aluminum frame with these panels routed out and letters "pushed through". There is a halo glow around the letters.

This is why it needs to be a composite panel.
I have a call into Harbor Sales, and they think it may be a Nudo product, but there is no image on the website.

--------------------
Gene Golden
Gettysburg Signs

Jay Allen
Resident

Member # 195

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jay Allen   Author's Homepage   Email Jay Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
David,

That's the product I was talking about. Are they still making it? It sounds like it . . .

Could it be a digital granite image printed direct to Dibond? We've done that with great success.

--------------------
Jay Allen
ShawCraft Sign Co.
Machesney Park, IL
jallen222@aol.com

-Confucius

Posts: 1285 | From: Machesney Park, IL, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
David Harding
Resident

Member # 108

Icon 1 posted      Profile for David Harding   Author's Homepage   Email David Harding   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jay,

Stone Panels web address is below:

http://www.stone-panels.com/company.asp

They have a huge range of products. We've done some work for them in the past.

--------------------
David Harding
A Sign of Excellence
Carrollton, TX

Posts: 5089 | From: Carrollton, TX, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jay Allen
Resident

Member # 195

Gracias, David.

I may be needing that product soon . . .

(Always been concerned about expansion contraction. What do you know about failure of laminations? Any?)

--------------------
Jay Allen
ShawCraft Sign Co.
Machesney Park, IL
jallen222@aol.com

-Confucius

David Harding
Resident

Member # 108

Jay, give them a call. From what I understand, there's very little stresses left in the stone and the expansion/contraction isn't a real issue with the honeycomb background. They have a number of mounting systems for building fascia and their product is used all over the world. They can mitre the corners and give a polished edge as well.

I've toured their plant and it's quite fascinating. They buy blocks of Granite and Marble and saw them on giant diamond saws that are ganged up in multiples. They have an assembly line that expoxies the honeycomb to both sides of a sawed piece of stone, then it is sawed again down the middle and both pieces polished.

The final product is very light weight. Typically, Granite is about 13 lb. per square foot for 2 cm, their product is 4-5 lb.

--------------------
David Harding
A Sign of Excellence
Carrollton, TX

Jay Allen
Resident

Member # 195

When did you start selling for the, David!!??

Very interesting. I have to imagine that the cost is not 1/3 of the cost of stone - even though the weight is about 1/3 of real stone. So how does it compare cost-wise to real stone? Any idea? If not, we'll check with them . . .

I see they do the mitred corners . . . that would help. But I bet they are more set up to skin buildings than sign bases - but if spec'd, now I know where to go.

Thanks, David.

--------------------
Jay Allen
ShawCraft Sign Co.
Machesney Park, IL
jallen222@aol.com

-Confucius

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!