Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » Extira

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Extira
Robert Malkamaki
Visitor
Member # 4817

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robert Malkamaki   Author's Homepage   Email Robert Malkamaki   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would like to know from other sign carvers and sandblasters what they think about Extira? I've carved it and sandblasted it, but am somewhat concerned with it's longevity. Except for occasional vandalism, I have been well pleased with high density urethane for it's longevity. I like the heft and density of Extira and feel that many of my clients would be happier with that also.

--------------------
Robert Malkamaki
Little Mountain Signs
10839 Girdled Road
(440) 352-4847
Signs@little-mountain.com

Posts: 28 | From: Concord, Ohio 44077 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cam Bortz
Visitor
Member # 55

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cam Bortz   Email Cam Bortz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I personally prefer higher-density HDU (18lb or more). The only drawback with HDU is the lack of structural strength; I solve that by either laminating another material to the back, or with internal steel support between matching faces for DF signs. Also, HDU has great paint adherence, something that I've heard can be an issue with Extira.

--------------------
"A wise man concerns himself with the truth, not with what people believe." - Aristotle

Cam Bortz
Finest Kind Signs
Pondside Iron works
256 S. Broad St.
Pawcatuck, Ct. 06379
"Award winning Signs since 1988"

Posts: 3051 | From: Pawcatuck,Connecticut USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jonathan Harvey
Visitor
Member # 6580

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jonathan Harvey   Email Jonathan Harvey       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just did my first extira sign about a month ago.
I loved using it. It cuts good, sands easily, You can basically do the same or even better with it than MDO no holes to fills. Except for the fact if you have concrete floors, with the dust extira gives off you are liable to break your neck(the floors get super slick). I painted it with one shot black and overlaid with colored sticky stuff.
No problems so far.

--------------------
Jonathan Harvey
Harvey's Signs and Designs
214 N. Main Newton,KS 67114
316-283-2424
(no telemarketers)

Posts: 63 | From: Newton, KS | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Richard Heller
Resident

Member # 2443

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Richard Heller   Author's Homepage   Email Richard Heller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Robert, I am working in the Cleveland area as well, and I have worked for a couple of local shops that have used Extira with no problems. Some of the keys are to ease the sharp edges, and the manufacturer recommends water based paints, which might be the issue Cam refers to if people have been using 1-Shot. We have used Porter, TJ Ronan Aqua Cote and other house acrylic paints with Jay Cooke's primer and the projects have held up for years.

I agree with Cam on HDU being the best product especially with all the heavier densities available today.

--------------------
Rick Heller
Ohio Technical College
1374 E. 51st Street
Cleveland, OH 44103
IOAFS

Posts: 210 | From: Cleveland, OH | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joe Crumley
Visitor
Member # 2307

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joe Crumley   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It has a place in our shop. Gotta be choosey though. As Jonathan mentioned the dust left behind is very oily. It sticks to equipment and is slick on the floor.

We had some paint adhesion problems at first. Since it's made with water replant oils, water based primers aren't a good idea. If you must, a quick wash off with soap and water will help.

Our standard coat out process is a light epoxy wash. It's Epoxy diluted with 30% lacquer thinner.

I've found HDU much better for deatail work on the CNC.

But both are floppy at legnth. Neither have fibers that allow for good screw holding power.

Just a thought are two.

--------------------
Joe Crumley
Norman Sign Company
2200 Research Park Blvd.
Norman, OK

Posts: 1428 | From: 2200 Research Park Blvd. | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Malkamaki
Visitor
Member # 4817

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robert Malkamaki   Author's Homepage   Email Robert Malkamaki   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you all for your input.

--------------------
Robert Malkamaki
Little Mountain Signs
10839 Girdled Road
(440) 352-4847
Signs@little-mountain.com

Posts: 28 | From: Concord, Ohio 44077 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Doug Bernhardt
Resident

Member # 1568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Doug Bernhardt   Author's Homepage   Email Doug Bernhardt       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I also have used it with some reservations. I finished with oil paints and the usual 1-shots and gold leaf decoration. That was 4 years ago and I go by it several times a month....no probs so far!! The reservations are sharp edges and would sand them slightly.

--------------------
Doug Bernhardt
Bernhardt Signs
Ottawa Ont.

Posts: 121 | From: ottawa ont. canada | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joe Crumley
Visitor
Member # 2307

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joe Crumley   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree with Doug.

Because the material is a little soft, it's prudent to ease edges over a little. For that reason we've used the thinned down epoxy as a stiffner

I've found Extira carves like butter but healthy stop cuts are necessary.

It's also great for fluted post covers over treated 4"X4"s.

--------------------
Joe Crumley
Norman Sign Company
2200 Research Park Blvd.
Norman, OK

Posts: 1428 | From: 2200 Research Park Blvd. | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!