Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » The Shells: A Smith's Cream Question

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: The Shells: A Smith's Cream Question
Janette Balogh
Resident

Member # 192

Icon 5 posted      Profile for Janette Balogh   Author's Homepage   Email Janette Balogh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Folks!
A while back I asked a question about painting shells. Well, I finished them yesterday, and they turned out looking pretty good.

But... I'm abit nervous about something.

I used Smith's Cream to glaze them, and added just a smidget of one shot colour and a smidget of mineral spirits to get a translucent colour. Like I said, I like what I accomplished, but they are not acting like they are drying at all.

The can did say that it'll take 72 hours for a tack, and it hasn't even been a full 24 hours yet. And the weather is quite a cold clammy here right now.

But ... they are still just as wet and oily as when I put the last stroke on them .... and I'm getting to thinking ... what if they don't EVER dry. YIKES! [Eek!]

They WILL dry won't they? Please say they will.
PLEEEEEEZE!

~nervous nettie

--------------------
"When Love and Skill Work Together ... Expect a Masterpiece"

Janette Balogh
Creative Studio

janette@janettebalogh.com
www.janettebalogh.com

Posts: 5092 | From: Florida | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
John Arnott
Resident

Member # 215

Icon 1 posted      Profile for John Arnott   Email John Arnott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When I need to use Smith's Cream, I mix a slurry of Smith's cream, Japan drier, and turps.

--------------------
John Arnott
El Cajon CA
619 596-9989
signgraphics1@aol.com
http://www.signgraphics1.com

Posts: 1443 | From: El Cajon CA usa | Registered: Dec 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FranCisco Vargas
Deceased

Member # 145

Icon 1 posted      Profile for FranCisco Vargas   Author's Homepage   Email FranCisco Vargas   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nettie, what you can try is put some japan drier in a little spray bottle and mist a little bit on one shell and see if that helps...

--------------------
aka:Cisco the "Traveling Millennium Sign Artist"
http://www.franciscovargas.com
Fresno, CA 93703
559 252-0935
"to live life, is to love life, a sign of no life, is a sign of no love"...Cisco 12'98

Posts: 3576 | From: Fresno, Ca, the great USA | Registered: Dec 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jack wills
Resident

Member # 521

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jack wills   Email jack wills   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ask Kent Smith...he knows.

jack

--------------------
Jack Wills
Studio Design Works
1465 E.Hidalgo Circle
Nye Beach / Newport, OR

Posts: 2914 | From: Rocklin, CA. USA | Registered: Dec 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jillbeans
Resident

Member # 1912

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jillbeans   Author's Homepage   Email Jillbeans   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Can you mist them with peroxide?
Where's Gavin? He'll have an interesting answer.
At the very least, could they be placed under a lamp with a high-wattage bulb?
I'd be scared to put a fan on them because dust might stick.
Not that I think your house is dusty, mind you.
Love.....Jill

Posts: 8834 | From: Butler, PA, USA | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sonny Franks
Resident

Member # 588

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sonny Franks   Email Sonny Franks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What did the can say?

No reason to freak for 2 more days.

That didn't really help, did it?

--------------------
www.signcreations.net
Sonny Franks
Lilburn, GA
770-923-9933

Posts: 4115 | From: Lilburn, GA USA | Registered: Feb 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dale Feicke
Resident

Member # 767

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dale Feicke   Email Dale Feicke   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, I wouldn't worry yet, Janette, the stuff takes an extremely long time.

BTW, I guess you didn't get the email I sent you the other day...I was wondering what the font was you used in Design A in Signcraft for the boat name @ where did it come from? Thank you.

--------------------
Dale Feicke Grafix
714 East St.
Mendenhall, MS 39114

"I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me."

Posts: 2963 | From: Mendenhall, MS | Registered: Apr 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Doug Bernhardt
Resident

Member # 1568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Doug Bernhardt   Author's Homepage   Email Doug Bernhardt       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yikkes!! Well they might never dry although I've only had this problem once....I learned after that. The problem with misting a dryer or hardener over top is the chemical structure is changed and not necessarily for the better. Smith's cream isn't the best gazing medium and in fact you can get much better ones in your local art shop. If it were me I'd wash them off and start again with "Liquin" or a linseed oil and turps mix.....but still give it a few days. Worry it over on Monday.

--------------------
Doug Bernhardt
Bernhardt Signs
Ottawa Ont.

Posts: 121 | From: ottawa ont. canada | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rick Sacks
Resident

Member # 379

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rick Sacks   Author's Homepage   Email Rick Sacks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't think the Smith Cream has driers in it and requires the addition of a colored component with such. It is not a clear coat or a glaze, but a blending compound.

--------------------
The SignShop
Mendocino, California

http://www.mendosign.com

Making the simple complicated is commonplace;
making the complicated simple, awesomely simple, that's creativity. — Charles Mingus

Posts: 6713 | From: Mendocino, CA. USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Janette Balogh
Resident

Member # 192

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Janette Balogh   Author's Homepage   Email Janette Balogh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's Sat. Night, and still pretty oily feeling.
But, I'm going to reserve my "freak out" [Eek!] for Monday. I really appreciate the suggestions.

The weather has not been very co-operative either. [Roll Eyes]

I do think the wiping off and trying again if it doesn't set by this week is going to be my best bet. (yuk)

Will keep you posted on my continuing saga. [Smile]

~nettie

--------------------

Janette Balogh
Creative Studio

www.janettebalogh.com

Posts: 5092 | From: Florida | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Len Mort
Resident

Member # 7030

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Len Mort   Author's Homepage   Email Len Mort       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree with Rick. Smiths cream was created to slow down the drying process for blending paint, Commonly used in the painting of large bulletins and pictorials the more you use the slower the drying, you would get the same effect by using boiled linseed oil neither would be considered a glaze.

--------------------
Len Mort
Signmaker1.com
11 Juniper Drive
Millbury, MA
508-865-2382
"A Good Business Sign, is A Sign of Good Business"(1957)

Posts: 811 | From: Millbury, Ma | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kent Smith
Resident

Member # 251

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kent Smith   Author's Homepage   Email Kent Smith   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Smith's cream is basically hydrogenated linseed oil and will never dry on its own. Its purpose is to maintain a wet edge for blending colors and when used as a gound on pictorials can stay wet for weeks. To cure one must add varnish, drier and sometimes pigment will help. If a mist of drier or peroxide does not help, consider a coat of varnish, matte fixative or acrylic (either waterbourne or solvent) which may act to cure the oils.

--------------------
Kent Smith
Smith Sign Studio
P.O.Box 2385,
Estes Park, CO 80517-2385
kent@smithsignstudio.com

Posts: 1025 | From: Estes Park, CO | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Donna in BC
Resident

Member # 130

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Donna in BC   Author's Homepage   Email Donna in BC   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Love your new pic nettie! [Smile]

--------------------
Donna Williams
Funky Junk Interiors
Yarrow, BC Canada
donna@funkyjunkinteriors.net

~ Check out the newest junk at ~ http://funkyjunkinteriors.net/

Posts: 5630 | From: Yarrow, BC Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bill Lynch
Resident

Member # 3815

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bill Lynch   Email Bill Lynch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's Monday....what's the verdict(he asked hopefully)?

--------------------
Bill Lynch
Century Sign
Hamden, CT
centurysign@snet.net

Posts: 1125 | From: Hamden, CT | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Janette Balogh
Resident

Member # 192

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Janette Balogh   Author's Homepage   Email Janette Balogh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, it looks like this sign chick is wiping down shells today, and trying another route.

They are still very oily.
Another lesson learned.

I guess it could have been worse.

Thanks a bunch for the feedback and encouragement.

~nettie

--------------------

Janette Balogh
Creative Studio

www.janettebalogh.com

Bill Lynch
Resident

Member # 3815

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bill Lynch   Email Bill Lynch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
bummer...I know the feeling.
I remember a similar learning experience-why cardboard HOT cups should be used for paint, never cold cups.

--------------------
Bill Lynch
Century Sign
Hamden, CT
centurysign@snet.net

Posts: 1125 | From: Hamden, CT | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Janette Balogh
Resident

Member # 192

Well, here's an update. I cleaned off the shells, which really didn't take too long because they were so darn wet! haha

I redid them with One Shot Tinting Clear and just a touch of colour. They look pretty good, and the good news is .... they are already tacky! Yahoo!

I may play around with some shading on them tomorrow, and then I have to put kid's names on them. May finish them off with another coat of clear when it's all said and done.

Thanks a whole bunch again for all your good feedback! [Smile]

~nettie

--------------------

Janette Balogh
Creative Studio

www.janettebalogh.com

Rick Sacks
Resident

Member # 379

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rick Sacks   Author's Homepage   Email Rick Sacks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Are these shells gonna be inside or out?
For interior, you could get a few coats of shellac on them and then the glaze.

--------------------
The SignShop
Mendocino, California

http://www.mendosign.com

Making the simple complicated is commonplace;
making the complicated simple, awesomely simple, that's creativity. — Charles Mingus

Posts: 6713 | From: Mendocino, CA. USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!