Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » If you could only get one magazine?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: If you could only get one magazine?
TJ Duvall
Visitor
Member # 3133

Icon 5 posted      Profile for TJ Duvall   Author's Homepage   Email TJ Duvall   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sign related magazine that is. Which one would it be and why? I am looking for something that the guys that work here can read and learn and be inspired at the same time. Thanks for your help.

--------------------
TJ Duvall
Diamond State Graphics, Inc.

New Castle, DE 19720

Posts: 396 | From: New Castle,Delaware | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Felix Marcano
Visitor
Member # 1833

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Felix Marcano   Author's Homepage   Email Felix Marcano   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My fav. is Sign Craft. I find it has the most handcrafted signs. Second is Sign Biz. (Same reason) I only get SBI cause its free, but I find its oriented more toward big business (Although I do like to read about how Mark Roberts installs his stuff). My subscription to Signs of the times ran out years ago so I wouldn't know what they're up to. I don't consider AMAL a sign mag. Hey by the way, is it still being printed?

--------------------
Felix Marcano
PuertoRicoSigns.Com
Luquillo, PR

Work hard, party like a tourist!

Posts: 2274 | From: Luquillo, Puerto Rico, USA | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob Rochon
Resident

Member # 30

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bob Rochon   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Rochon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
SignCraft

--------------------
Bob Rochon
Creative Signworks
Millbury, MA
508-865-7330

"Life is Like an Echo, what you put out, comes back to you."

Posts: 5149 | From: Millbury, Mass. U.S. | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bill Lynch
Resident

Member # 3815

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bill Lynch   Email Bill Lynch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
SignCraft

--------------------
Bill Lynch
Century Sign
Hamden, CT
centurysign@snet.net

Posts: 1126 | From: Hamden, CT | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cody Reich
Resident

Member # 8052

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cody Reich   Author's Homepage   Email Cody Reich   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
SignCraft

--------------------
Cody Reich
Columbia Signs

Posts: 300 | From: Vancouver, WA | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tony Lucero
Visitor
Member # 1470

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tony Lucero   Author's Homepage   Email Tony Lucero   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
SignCraft...but Sign Business is so close that I wouldn't give that up. Rick Williams articles are so valuable because he is so practical and interesting and a great communicator. His projects are more of the type that we actually sell and produce. The stuff in SignCraft is real inspiring...but much of their stuff is "artsy" and the majority of my customers just don't have budgets for real fancy stuff. Sign of the Times is OK but the format is hard to read and navigate thru and way too many ads.

--------------------
Tony Lucero
Eagle Graphics
Waterford, MI
www.eaglegph.com

Posts: 305 | From: Waterford, MI, USA | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nancie W. Phillips
Resident

Member # 3484

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nancie W. Phillips   Author's Homepage   Email Nancie W. Phillips   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
SignCraft...it's where I got my education.
Probably wouldn't hurt me to re-subscribe...

--------------------
Nancie W. Phillips
White Dove Painting Studio
74 Dacula Road,
Dacula, GA 30019
678-887-3339

www.nanciephillips.com

"Three words describe life...'It goes on'"- Robert Frost

Posts: 919 | From: Metro Atlanta, GA | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joey Madden
Resident

Member # 1192

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joey Madden   Author's Homepage   Email Joey Madden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Juxtapoz, just because

--------------------
HotLines Joey Madden - pinstriping since 1952
'Perfection, its what I look for and what I live for'

http://members.tripod.com/Inflite
http://www.pinheadlounge.com/hotlinesjoeymadden

Posts: 5962 | From: USA | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nancie W. Phillips
Resident

Member # 3484

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nancie W. Phillips   Author's Homepage   Email Nancie W. Phillips   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, another magazine I get a lot out of is The Artist's Magazine...great if you lean heavily on hand painting and "fine" art.

--------------------
Nancie W. Phillips
White Dove Painting Studio
74 Dacula Road,
Dacula, GA 30019
678-887-3339

www.nanciephillips.com

"Three words describe life...'It goes on'"- Robert Frost

Posts: 919 | From: Metro Atlanta, GA | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kelly Thorson
Resident

Member # 2958

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kelly Thorson   Author's Homepage   Email Kelly Thorson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd vote for Signcraft too, with Sign Business as a close second. Actually I wouldn't be without either of them. I also really like AMAL despite the quirkiness of it's regularity. When it does come it's like a visual treasure chest.
I guess my reaction to your question would be why stop at one. Both Sign Craft and Sign Business will pay back in multiples from the information and lessons therein. Why not check out their sites and see if you can get a free sample or two sent your way to try.

--------------------
“Did you ever stop to think, and forget to start again?”
-Winnie the Pooh & A.A. Milne

Kelly Thorson
Kel-T-Grafix
801 Main St.
Holdfast, SK
S0G 2H0
ktg@sasktel.net

Posts: 5496 | From: Penzance, Saskatchewan | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alan Johnson
Visitor
Member # 2513

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Alan Johnson   Author's Homepage   Email Alan Johnson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
SIGN CRAFT Cause it's got more of the real or hand done creative work.

--------------------
Alan Johnson
Alan Johnson Grafix
Blairstown, NJ
[URL=http://www.alanjohnsongrafix.com]

Posts: 261 | From: Blairstown, NJ | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
David Harding
Resident

Member # 108

Icon 1 posted      Profile for David Harding   Author's Homepage   Email David Harding   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I subscribe to them all but I call SignCraft the National Geographic of the sign industry because no one's ever thrown away a single issue.

--------------------
David Harding
A Sign of Excellence
Carrollton, TX

Posts: 5092 | From: Carrollton, TX, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jane Diaz
Resident

Member # 595

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jane Diaz   Author's Homepage   Email Jane Diaz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
SignCraft is our favorite. Always a treat when it comes in the mail!
And AMAL is eye candy. We have every issue and look forward to seeing more! (hint hint!)

--------------------
Jane Diaz
Diaz Sign Art
628 W. Lincoln Ave. Pontiac, Il. 61764
815-844-7024
www.diazsignart.com

Posts: 4102 | From: Pontiac, IL USA | Registered: Feb 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stephen Deveau
Visitor
Member # 1305

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stephen Deveau         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Airbrush Action Mag.

Wielding a brush is one thing but an Airbrush is amazing.

--------------------
Stephen Deveau
RavenGraphics
Insinx Digital Displays

Letting Your Imagination Run Wild!

Posts: 4327 | From: Lower Sackville, Nova Scotia, Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan Sawatzky
Resident

Member # 88

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dan Sawatzky   Author's Homepage   Email Dan Sawatzky   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
SignCraft. I have every issue I ever got of the magazine over the years... almost 10 feet on the shelf and all stacked in order too!

I take a small pile into the house regularly to read during the commercials when Janis & I watch television together... and read every issue at least once a year, seeing different things each time depending on what I'm into at the time.

-grampa dan

--------------------
Dan Sawatzky
Imagination Corporation
Yarrow, British Columbia
dan@imaginationcorporation.com
http://www.imaginationcorporation.com

Being a grampa is one of the the most wonderful things in the world!!!

Posts: 8739 | From: Yarrow, B.C. Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Taylor
Visitor
Member # 162

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Glenn Taylor   Author's Homepage   Email Glenn Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
SignCraft
SignBusiness
AMAL
SotT
Sign Builder

....in that order.

--------------------
BlueDog Graphics
Wilson, NC

www.BlueDogUSA.com

Warning: A well designed sign may cause fatigue due to increased business.

Posts: 10690 | From: Wilson, NC, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Graham Hodge
Visitor
Member # 168

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Graham Hodge   Author's Homepage   Email Graham Hodge   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
SignCraft, my copies go back to 1981, it's my creative lifeblood.

--------------------
Graham Hodge
Cam River Signs
Somerset, Tasmania.

Posts: 441 | From: Somerset, Tasmania | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chuck Peterson
Visitor
Member # 70

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chuck Peterson   Author's Homepage   Email Chuck Peterson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
SignCraft. I had every issue but gave most of them to Dawn Ellis when I moved. I still have the first one, all black & white, 20 pages including front & back covers. I just pulled it out and in the same plastic folder I have a copy of the Mike Stevens Journal. Edit to add: I just pulled out SignCraft No. 2 from 1980 and see a profile on Raymond Chapman.

[ October 30, 2007, 06:37 PM: Message edited by: Chuck Peterson ]

--------------------
Chuck Peterson Designs
San Diego, CA

Posts: 1052 | From: San Diego, CA USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob Peach
Resident

Member # 2620

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bob Peach   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Peach   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Signcraft here too. Dan, do you get special extra thick Canadian issues? I just measured our complete set and they are only 32 inches of shelf space. I`m feeling shortchanged.

--------------------
Bob & Marcia Peach
Peach Signs Inc
Sandwich, MA
rpeach9828@aol.com

Posts: 1020 | From: Sandwich, MA | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
George Perkins
Resident

Member # 156

Icon 1 posted      Profile for George Perkins   Author's Homepage   Email George Perkins   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
SignCraft and AutoArt, for the reasons AJ mentioned. They are read front to back. The others are more business related and lack in creativity.

--------------------
George Perkins
Millington,TN.
goatwell@bigriver.net

"I started out with nothing and still have most of it left"

www.perkinsartworks.com

Posts: 4322 | From: Millington, TN. USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Duncan Wilkie
Resident

Member # 132

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Duncan Wilkie   Author's Homepage   Email Duncan Wilkie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Signcraft!

--------------------
Duncan Wilkie
aka signdog
http://www.comsign.ca
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

Posts: 4353 | From: Edmonton, Alberta, Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ray Rheaume
Resident

Member # 3794

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ray Rheaume   Email Ray Rheaume   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Airbrush Art

--------------------
Ray Rheaume
Rapidfire Design
543 Brushwood Road
North Haverhill, NH 03774
rapidfiredesign@hotmail.com
603-787-6803

I like my paint shaken, not stirred.

Posts: 5648 | From: North Haverhill, New Hampshire | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan Sawatzky
Resident

Member # 88

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dan Sawatzky   Author's Homepage   Email Dan Sawatzky   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have a bunch of double issues... THey'll be handy when I waer out the other copies. And the ones we are featured in have a bunch more which come in handy when a customer wants to see what we are all about or see how our stuff is made. They live with the rest. We keep them in plastic holders too and not so tight I can't dig out issues I need to access.

-grampa dan

--------------------
Dan Sawatzky
Imagination Corporation
Yarrow, British Columbia
dan@imaginationcorporation.com
http://www.imaginationcorporation.com

Being a grampa is one of the the most wonderful things in the world!!!

Posts: 8739 | From: Yarrow, B.C. Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gene Golden
Resident

Member # 3934

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gene Golden   Author's Homepage   Email Gene Golden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well...
I guess this November, my favorite just happens to be Signs of the Times.
Page 58 to be precise.

After looking at the above answers, I was afraid you'd never see it [Smile]

--------------------
Gene Golden
Gettysburg Signs
Gettysburg PA 17325 717-334-0200
genegolden@gettysburgsigns.com

"Art is knowing when to stop."

Posts: 1578 | From: Gettysburg, PA | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Denny Smith
Resident

Member # 6806

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Denny Smith   Author's Homepage   Email Denny Smith       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OK, I agree Signcraft, but what the heck is AMAL?

--------------------
Denny Smith
2 B Personalized
Marion IN

Posts: 52 | From: Marion IN | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Monte Jumper
Resident

Member # 1106

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Monte Jumper   Email Monte Jumper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Looks like SignCraft has it...me too!

--------------------
"Werks fer me...it'll werk fer you"

Monte Jumper
SIGNLanguage/Norman.Okla.
jumpers@itlnet.net

Posts: 3185 | From: Norman,Okla.U.S.A. | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TJ Duvall
Visitor
Member # 3133

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TJ Duvall   Author's Homepage   Email TJ Duvall   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Looks like I got my answer. SignCraft sounds like a winner. But I may get both, just because.

Thanks again.

--------------------
TJ Duvall
Diamond State Graphics, Inc.

New Castle, DE 19720

Posts: 396 | From: New Castle,Delaware | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rene Giroux
Resident

Member # 4980

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rene Giroux   Author's Homepage   Email Rene Giroux   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
SignCraft

--------------------
Rene Giroux
Perfexion.ca
Gatineau, QC.

www.renegiroux.com

I'd rather regret things I did than things I didn't do!

Posts: 1875 | From: Gatineau, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryan Culbertson
Visitor
Member # 7560

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ryan Culbertson   Author's Homepage   Email Ryan Culbertson       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
SignCraft!!!

--------------------
Ryan Culbertson
The Sign Shop at Quick Copies
Greenwood, SC

Rock and Roll means well, but it can’t help tellin’ young boys lies.
Mike Cooley - Drive By Truckers

Posts: 453 | From: Greenwood, South Carolina | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan Antonelli
Resident

Member # 86

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dan Antonelli   Author's Homepage   Email Dan Antonelli   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
SignCraft!

Oops - maybe I can't say that -- too self promotional LOL.

OK well if I didn't write for them, I'd say SignCraft.
Phew!! Now I'm off the hook! LOL

--------------------
Dan Antonelli
Graphic D-Signs, Inc.
279 Route 31 South • Suite 4
Washington, NJ
www.graphicd-signs.com
dan@graphicd-signs.com

"Some are born to move the world, to live their fantasies. But most of us just dream about the things we'd like to be." - Rush

Posts: 1192 | From: Washington, NJ | Registered: Feb 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
David Wright
Visitor
Member # 111

Icon 1 posted      Profile for David Wright   Author's Homepage   Email David Wright   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Redbook.

Hey Gene, I did see the article on you, very good.

--------------------
Wright Signs
Wyandotte, Michigan

Posts: 2785 | From: Wyandotte, MI USA | Registered: Jan 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ian Stewart-Koster
Resident

Member # 3500

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ian Stewart-Koster   Author's Homepage   Email Ian Stewart-Koster   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Denny, it's "A Magazine About Letterheads"- AMAL

--------------------
"Stewey" on chat

"...there are no limits when you aim for perfection..." Jonathan Livingston Seagull

Posts: 7014 | From: Highgrove via Toowoomba, Queensland, Australia | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pierre Tardif
Resident

Member # 3229

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pierre Tardif   Author's Homepage   Email Pierre Tardif   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
SignCraft for sign and design ideas and Broadside Newsletter for hand lettering stuff.

--------------------
Pierre Tardif
P. Tardif Inc.
1006 boul. PIE-XI sud Val-Belair
QC. Canada G3K 1L2
418-847-4089
pierre@ptardif.com

Posts: 800 | From: Quebec city | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cody Reich
Resident

Member # 8052

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cody Reich   Author's Homepage   Email Cody Reich   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is "A Magazine About Letterheads" still being published?

--------------------
Cody Reich
Columbia Signs

Posts: 300 | From: Vancouver, WA | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Lovelady
Resident

Member # 2540

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chris Lovelady   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good Artical on you Gene,

Sign Craft for me too!

I also had the first one but lost them in a flood in my apartment.

Lovelady

--------------------
"We have been making house calls since 1992"

Chris Lovelady
Vital Signs

NOW WITH 2 LOCATIONS!
Tallahassee, Florida
Thomasville, Ga.

www.vitalsignsllc.com
1-850-893-0674

Posts: 707 | From: Tallahassee, Florida | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dale Flewelling
Visitor
Member # 2577

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dale Flewelling   Email Dale Flewelling   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Auto Graphics

--------------------
Dale Flewelling
Art Attack Signs & Design
Newport, NH

Posts: 114 | From: Newport, New Hampshire | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stephen Broughton
Visitor
Member # 2237

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stephen Broughton   Author's Homepage   Email Stephen Broughton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Signcraft won't even contemplate the British sign mags they are useless, if only the paper was more absorbent they would have at least one use [Rolling On The Floor] , hold it thought of another use you can pallet your brush on them see 2 uses [Big Grin]

--------------------
Steve Broughton
Alpha Grafix Signs
Lowfields Road
Benington, Boston
Lincolnshire, England

Posts: 315 | From: Boston, Lincolnshire, England | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
captain ken
Visitor
Member # 742

Icon 1 posted      Profile for captain ken   Author's Homepage   Email captain ken   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Playboy

--------------------
Ken McTague,
Concept Signs
57 Bridge St. (route 107)
Salem MA 01970
1-978-745-5800
conceptsign@yahoo.com
http://www.pinheadlounge.com/CaptainKen

---------------------------------

"A wise man once said that, or was it a wise guy?"

Posts: 2425 | From: Salem, MA | Registered: Apr 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wayne Webb
Resident

Member # 1124

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wayne Webb   Author's Homepage   Email Wayne Webb   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
SignCraft
I think my first issue was around 1985.

[ November 07, 2007, 04:08 PM: Message edited by: Wayne Webb ]

--------------------
Wayne Webb
Webb Signworks
Chipley, FL
wayne@webbsignworks.com

Posts: 7404 | From: Chipley,Florida,United States | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!