Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » Haight-Ashbury

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Haight-Ashbury
Sonny Franks
Resident

Member # 588

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sonny Franks   Email Sonny Franks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We visited our daughter in San Francisco last weekend and took a trip thru Haight-Ashbury, the epicenter for the "Summer of Love" 40 years ago. It was almost surreal seeing young hippies mingling with geezers and beat poets dressed like a time warp had suspended clothing and hairstyles for 4 decades. Even the signs suggested that the more things change, the more they stay the same.

-

-

-

-

-

This is an old hippie and his extremely tolerant wife in front of the former "Dead" house.

-

--------------------
www.signcreations.net
Sonny Franks
Lilburn, GA
770-923-9933

Posts: 4115 | From: Lilburn, GA USA | Registered: Feb 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Laura Butler
Visitor
Member # 1830

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Laura Butler   Email Laura Butler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Brings back memories. I had thought about running away and going out there but couldn't find any girlfriends that would go with me. I guess its a good thing.

--------------------
Laura Butler
Vision Graphics & Sign
4479 Welch Rd
Attica, Mi 48412

Posts: 2855 | From: Attica, Mi, USA | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Deb Fowler
Resident

Member # 1039

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Deb Fowler   Email Deb Fowler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey Sonny,
What memories of those times! I've never been to northern California, but still have a long paisley scarf from the 60's. I loved that era.
Want some pics of the hippies, not just the leggies!
I just read an interview, in "Interview" magazine with Grace Slick.

My cousins live out there, maybe I should take them up on their offer to visit! Did you get more pics???

--------------------
Deb Fowler

"It's kind of fun to do the impossible - Walt Disney (1901-1966)

Posts: 5373 | From: Loves Park, Illinois | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nancie W. Phillips
Resident

Member # 3484

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nancie W. Phillips   Author's Homepage   Email Nancie W. Phillips   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Our entire family experienced a day spent in Haight Ashbury district over a year ago. It was one of the highlights of the Lodi WallDog meet trip for us.
I was technically too young to be a hippy...being that I was born in the Summer of Love (July 1967). But I embrace the culture in many ways, so I have been called a hippy a lot by my boyfriend's daughter. I'm cool with that. I hope you visited the Fisherman's Warf while you were in SanFran too... (another kool place).

--------------------
Nancie W. Phillips
White Dove Painting Studio
74 Dacula Road,
Dacula, GA 30019
678-887-3339

www.nanciephillips.com

"Three words describe life...'It goes on'"- Robert Frost

Posts: 919 | From: Metro Atlanta, GA | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Frank Smith
Visitor
Member # 146

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Frank Smith   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Smith   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was a bit too young to be a first generation Hippie, but lived in San Francisco for a month or two in the late 70's. This is one of my contributions to the culture.
 -

--------------------
Frank Smith
Frank Smith Signs
Albany, NY
www.franksmithsigns.com

Posts: 807 | From: Albany, NY USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bruce Williams
Visitor
Member # 691

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bruce Williams   Email Bruce Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm glad to see this. The Arts had a renaissance from Haight-Ashbury in the mid-Sicksties. When that rubs off on the society-at-large, it can mean nicer jobs for graphic artists.

Deb mentioned an interview with Grace Slick. If you liked it, you might have the local library get you her autobiography. And a really good first-hand account of the H-A scene is _Famous People I Have Known_ by Ed McClanahan From right here in Lexington. He was a buddy of Kesey.

--------------------
Bruce Williams
Lexington KY

Posts: 945 | From: Lexington, KY, USA | Registered: Mar 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joe Crumley
Visitor
Member # 2307

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joe Crumley   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And we thought the world was changing to peace, for ever. And we knew there was a generious brotherhood within all mankind.

Thanks for your post Sonny

--------------------
Joe Crumley
Norman Sign Company
2200 Research Park Blvd.
Norman, OK

Posts: 1428 | From: 2200 Research Park Blvd. | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Donald Thompson
Resident

Member # 3726

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Donald Thompson   Author's Homepage   Email Donald Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was out there in the military from 1992-1993.
It doesn't look like much has changed since then even. It was always entertaining to walk the streets on Saturdays around there and in Berkley.
There are some unique people around in those two places.

--------------------
Donald Thompson
#1 Sign Designs
580 Templeton Rd.
Laurens,SC 29360
864-682-7810
1signdesigns@backroads.net
www.1signdesigns.com

Posts: 1525 | From: Laurens, SC | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rick Sacks
Resident

Member # 379

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rick Sacks   Author's Homepage   Email Rick Sacks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Some things look as though they're impersonating what was. The ideology and hopes that had us there in the 60's are long gone for most of us. The world then had an intensity worthy of putting everything on the line for what one believed in.

--------------------
The SignShop
Mendocino, California

http://www.mendosign.com

Making the simple complicated is commonplace;
making the complicated simple, awesomely simple, that's creativity. — Charles Mingus

Posts: 6712 | From: Mendocino, CA. USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ricky Jackson
Visitor
Member # 5082

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ricky Jackson   Email Ricky Jackson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Rick Sacks:
Some things look as though they're impersonating what was. The ideology and hopes that had us there in the 60's are long gone for most of us. The world then had an intensity worthy of putting everything on the line for what one believed in.

Far out man! [Applause]

Peas and Love

--------------------
Ricky Jackson
Signs Now
614 Russell Parkway
Warner Robins, GA
(478) 923-7722
signpimp50@hotmail.com

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Sir Issac Newton

Posts: 3528 | From: Warner Robins, GA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sonny Franks
Resident

Member # 588

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sonny Franks   Email Sonny Franks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Rick, I agree it was an exciting time and somewhat of a political and emotional renaissance coming out of the Nixonian era of deceit and oppression, but I think the seeds of that generation have at least quietly worked themselves into the national psyche, with California again leading the way in organic farming and environmental concerns.
Now, if we could just get the Republicans to the electric kool-aid acid test......
(let's don't get political, it was just a joke)

Speaking of acid tests, here's a great pic of Kesey and the Merry Pranksters on their magic bus, "Further". (maybe the inspiration for Frank's Love Bus?)

-

[ October 01, 2007, 11:32 AM: Message edited by: Sonny Franks ]

--------------------
www.signcreations.net
Sonny Franks
Lilburn, GA
770-923-9933

Posts: 4115 | From: Lilburn, GA USA | Registered: Feb 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FranCisco Vargas
Deceased

Member # 145

Icon 1 posted      Profile for FranCisco Vargas   Author's Homepage   Email FranCisco Vargas   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah San Francisco is a trippy city! I remember the first time I saw Haight-Ashbury was in 1966. I was about 15-16 at the time. I was in a bus tour with a bunch of other kids my age from a school project. It was full of hippies all over the place.
A few years ago I remember seeing, by Fishermans wharft a crazy Big A$$ Yellow car all dressed up as wild as could be, later found out it belonged to a band dude from either the Grateful Dead or some other band. SF has so much to see and lots to do. Sonny looks like you had lot of fun while out there. Now that a crazy wild looking bus!

--------------------
aka:Cisco the "Traveling Millennium Sign Artist"
http://www.franciscovargas.com
Fresno, CA 93703
559 252-0935
"to live life, is to love life, a sign of no life, is a sign of no love"...Cisco 12'98

Posts: 3576 | From: Fresno, Ca, the great USA | Registered: Dec 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!