Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » Router Question - Ultraboard with aluminum face

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Router Question - Ultraboard with aluminum face
John Arnott
Resident

Member # 215

Icon 5 posted      Profile for John Arnott   Email John Arnott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Could someone please tell me what speed and feed rate and speed you use to cut 1/2" Ultraboard with aluminum face.
I'm using a 1/4" down cut bit @ 10,000 RPMs 1 IPS and the aluminum tears out the foam.
Not a smooth edge!

--------------------
John Arnott
El Cajon CA
619 596-9989
signgraphics1@aol.com
http://www.signgraphics1.com

Posts: 1443 | From: El Cajon CA usa | Registered: Dec 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Graham Parsons
Resident

Member # 1129

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Graham Parsons   Author's Homepage   Email Graham Parsons   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
John,

I've got the best results with Ultraboard by making two passes - the first to just the depth (thickness) of the face, and the second pass to the full depth of the board (½") Routing the face away first, and cutting the rest in one seems to keep the damage to the foam to a minimum.

[ September 18, 2007, 07:38 PM: Message edited by: Graham Parsons ]

--------------------
Graham Parsons
Signs 'n Such Ltd
Swift Current
Saskatchewan
Canada.
www.signsnsuch.com

"Saskatchewan - hard to pronounce, easy to draw"

Posts: 710 | From: Saskatchewan, Canada | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
John Arnott
Resident

Member # 215

Icon 1 posted      Profile for John Arnott   Email John Arnott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks Graham. . . . .Are you using a down bit?

--------------------
John Arnott
El Cajon CA
619 596-9989
signgraphics1@aol.com

Posts: 1443 | From: El Cajon CA usa | Registered: Dec 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Graham Parsons
Resident

Member # 1129

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Graham Parsons   Author's Homepage   Email Graham Parsons   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
John,

Although I usually prefer an upcut bit because of the ease of chip removal, for Ultraboard or anything with a face material, I would use a downcut spiral to prevent the face being separated. Also, I would suggest a higher rpm - 14K?

Edited to say I have tried it with a downcut on the first pass, and an upcut for the rest and these seems to give pretty good results, albeit a bit fiddly on the bit change (unless you're Dan, of course! [Wink] )

[ September 18, 2007, 09:15 PM: Message edited by: Graham Parsons ]

--------------------
Graham Parsons
Signs 'n Such Ltd
Swift Current
Saskatchewan
Canada.
www.signsnsuch.com

"Saskatchewan - hard to pronounce, easy to draw"

Posts: 710 | From: Saskatchewan, Canada | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joe Crumley
Visitor
Member # 2307

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joe Crumley   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Graham's suggestion for increased spindle speed will certainly help. Don't be surprised if there is some inconsistancy with the aluminum not sitcking to the board. And after you finish the profile cuts it would be advisable to check the aluminum edges for lifting.

I've haven't had mixed results with their product. In damp weather the aluminum seems to give up the ghost.

I'm proud of you for making the move to a CNC. This is a tight community thats willing to help. Keep us informed with your progress.

Aren't these froums great.

Joe
www.normansignco.com

--------------------
Joe Crumley
Norman Sign Company
2200 Research Park Blvd.
Norman, OK

Posts: 1428 | From: 2200 Research Park Blvd. | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Billie DeBekker
Visitor
Member # 3848

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Billie DeBekker   Author's Homepage   Email Billie DeBekker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
John,
I haven't used UltraBoard so I may be talking out of turn here but we have cut similar items.
What we usally do when cutting foam with no tear out is first do a roughing cut with a up Sprial about .03 larger then the finished product and just about all the way through. On .5 inch will route .45 down. Then Switch out the bit to a very sharp straight edge bit Cutting conventional (Cutting Edge into the material) then do the final finishing pass going all the way through the material and into the sacrifice.
Just like any Routing a good sharp bit keeps the edges clean.
Hope this helps.

--------------------
Billie DeBekker
3rd Dimension Signs
Canon City Colorado 81212
719-276-9338
bill@3dsignco.com
www.3dsignco.com

"Another Fine Graduate of the Ray Charles School of Sign Painting."

Posts: 2530 | From: Canon City, Colorado | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
John Arnott
Resident

Member # 215

Icon 1 posted      Profile for John Arnott   Email John Arnott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, This is how I ended up do it.
I bought a "up" 1/4" bit and cut in 1 pass @ 14,000 RPMs and .5 IPS. It lifted the metal out perfect and a smooth edge. I just held it down with my fingers at the very last, (no tape).
Now I'm ready to cut the real job!

--------------------
John Arnott
El Cajon CA
619 596-9989
signgraphics1@aol.com

Bryan Quebodeaux
Visitor
Member # 48

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bryan Quebodeaux   Author's Homepage   Email Bryan Quebodeaux   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Most of the time I rout 1" Ultraboard and like some mentioned before, I always rout the face first and the foam next. We laminate our choice of substrate to the foam ourselves (mostly acrylic and aluminum). After nesting the job I will cut out the sized substrates and then laminate using 3M Super 77 adhesive spray. I tried waterbased formica contact cement with good results, 3M spray is a bit toxic but quick and very dependable. Afterwards I apply application tape to the backside of the laminated product and rout down to the tape pausing the router after 2 or so letters to apply silicone spray to the bit, not actually spraying the bit but spraying a rag and wiping the bit. That seems to keep the bit slick so that no foam builds up while traveling and ruining the returns. I prefer to use 1/8" upcut short bits for the top surface and 1/8" upcut long bits for the foam. I use 1/8" so that any inside corners have a minimal radius. After a bit of trial and error I found that feed rates using my Sabre 408 and Artpath of 19000 R.P.M and 2 IPS works for me.
-Just my .02 cents

--------------------
Edge-LE & FX ,VersaCamm SP-540, Epson 9600, Envision 375, Sabre 408, OmegaCP 2.02, Adobe CS2,

Bryan Quebodeaux
DeSign Works
Church Point, LA
337-684-6058
bryanq@designworks1.com
www.designworks1.com
http://www.myspace.com/design_works

Posts: 167 | From: Church Point, La. | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!