Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » Running Good People Off (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Running Good People Off
Fred Weiss
Visitor
Member # 3662

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fred Weiss   Author's Homepage   Email Fred Weiss       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have to chime in as in 100% agreement with Dan Antonelli's thoughts. As the wearer of several hats: sign maker, seller of products for sign makers, and operator of a different BB, I rarely post here because I don't want to be suspected of trolling.

At my board we see exactly the same kinds of losses and for many of the same reasons. I tend to think, however, that the main reason for loss of participation is the addictiveness of an active BB. In other words, it's easy to spend too much time at a BB and then, when you notice you're neglecting your family or your business, swing in exactly the opposite direction and stop participating altogether.

--------------------
Fred Weiss
Allied Computer Graphics, Inc.
4620 Lake Worth Road
Lake Worth, FL 33463
561 649-6300
allcompu@allcompu.com

Posts: 427 | From: Lake Worth, Florida | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wayne Webb
Resident

Member # 1124

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wayne Webb   Author's Homepage   Email Wayne Webb   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Fred Weiss:
...... I tend to think, however, that the main reason for loss of participation is the addictiveness of an active BB. In other words, it's easy to spend too much time at a BB and then, when you notice you're neglecting your family or your business, swing in exactly the opposite direction and stop participating altogether.

I tend to agree.
Good post.

--------------------
Wayne Webb
Webb Signworks
Chipley, FL
wayne@webbsignworks.com

Posts: 7403 | From: Chipley,Florida,United States | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sonny Franks
Resident

Member # 588

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sonny Franks   Email Sonny Franks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Fred, that's an interesting point. Many of the people I was referring to jumped in here with both feet and posted to everything. Like a brand new Amway convert, a little too gung-ho. That's why I had to swear off the chat room - I wasn't getting any work done on my night shift.
Maybe we should impose a posting limit on new members - or a required 12-Step BB program........

--------------------
www.signcreations.net
Sonny Franks
Lilburn, GA
770-923-9933

Posts: 4115 | From: Lilburn, GA USA | Registered: Feb 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Frank Smith
Visitor
Member # 146

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Frank Smith   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Smith   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's hard to strike a balance. This summer I've read some fascinating discussions here and had no time to participate. Letterville lost out to 3 vacations, some county fairs, family get-togethers, city-wide art gallery open-house evenings, peace & quiet in my kayak, time for my own artwork, reading, family hikes, and of course making tons of signs to pay for the new van and a new family car that runs on compressed natural gas.

No matter how good life is, I'll always have one complaint: life is too short.

--------------------
Frank Smith
Frank Smith Signs
Albany, NY
www.franksmithsigns.com

Posts: 807 | From: Albany, NY USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilead Stellar
Visitor
Member # 158

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilead Stellar         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well it's sad to hear that some of the good "Old Timers" are gone,I hope they come back.

In the meantime: I'm Back! extremely small consolation though that may be.

I've been hanging out on conceptart.org. If you think discussions can go south around here imagine a website much like this one, but all of us being video game artists, comic book artists, illustrators or wannabees ages 12 to 25. That's conceptart.
I've learned to avoid the "lounge" area altogether. Still it's an amazing website to check out if you have the time. Some of the talent is nothing short of mindblowing.

--------------------
Gilead Stellar
Stellargraphics
Phoenix AZ
http://members.tripod.com/Stellargraphics/Gilead.htm

Posts: 319 | From: Gilbert Arizona USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Janette Balogh
Resident

Member # 192

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Janette Balogh   Author's Homepage   Email Janette Balogh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just seems to me that good people shouldn't run off.

[I Don t Know]
~nettie

--------------------
"When Love and Skill Work Together ... Expect a Masterpiece"

Janette Balogh
Creative Studio

janette@janettebalogh.com
www.janettebalogh.com

Posts: 5092 | From: Florida | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sonny Franks
Resident

Member # 588

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sonny Franks   Email Sonny Franks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It was correctly pointed out to me that "run off" might be the wrong phrase in light of some incidents. In many cases, people left because they created their own storms of controversy. In others, illness, business, family or life just precluded time spent on this forum.

It was also correctly pointed out that things are not always what they seem........

--------------------
www.signcreations.net
Sonny Franks
Lilburn, GA
770-923-9933

Posts: 4115 | From: Lilburn, GA USA | Registered: Feb 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Elliott
Resident

Member # 1262

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chris Elliott   Email Chris Elliott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
good point Nettie!!! [Applause]
and of course, if they do run off for awhile, it's never too late to c'mon back for a fresh try.

edited to add:
(since Sonny types faster than I think)
Sonny, that's what I thought you meant all along. [Big Grin]

[ September 11, 2007, 12:38 PM: Message edited by: Chris Elliott ]

--------------------
Chris Elliott
1longshot@classicnet.net
cell 62084two2232

Posts: 686 | From: Scottsdale, AZ & Anthony, KS, USA | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cam Bortz
Visitor
Member # 55

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cam Bortz   Email Cam Bortz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've had my share of mixed feelings about this board, and my participation level is directly a result of what those feelings are at any given moment.

Both Dans have a point about being resented for their success - its an unfortunate aspect of society that in any group, there's an element that is envious and resentful and looks for ways to drag people down. There's no more certain way to run off the very people who have the most to share.

Another issue I have is the nature of this virtual medium itself. The tagline of the site is "the letterhead meet that never ends." I wonder - is that a good thing? At a live meet we plan and schedule and make sacrifices to be able to attend; at the meet we re-acquaint with friends, swap stories, paint, share techniques, get fired up again... and then its OVER, and we go back to our lives, hopefully carrying some inspiration with us, looking forward to going again. So, what if it didn't end, we didn't have to go home... it would become part and parcel with our lives. We'd see a lot more of each other, and for some of us, discover things that we don't agree on. Instead of being a relatively brief, overwhelmingly positive encounter with other sign folks, it becomes more like a family - and NOBODY gets along with ALL of their relatives, not to mention some of the houseguests that show up uninvited.

What I'm trying to say is it could be good for us, individually, to leave from time to time. I know it is good for me to do that; to give myself some space and regain a perspective, so that when I do choose to read or contribute, it is in a way that's fresh and positive.

--------------------
"A wise man concerns himself with the truth, not with what people believe." - Aristotle

Cam Bortz
Finest Kind Signs
Pondside Iron works
256 S. Broad St.
Pawcatuck, Ct. 06379
"Award winning Signs since 1988"

Posts: 3051 | From: Pawcatuck,Connecticut USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ricky Jackson
Visitor
Member # 5082

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ricky Jackson   Email Ricky Jackson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree with Si that you have to have thick skin. If you post on here, you need to be aware of the *potential* for things getting nasty, no matter how good your intentions. Things typed are without inflection or expression and can be taken ambiguously. We all need to temper our posts and replys with humility, wisdom, and restraint. I say that from experience too. I don't know many people who have taken more of a beating than I took over my attempted move to Canada (aka: Canadian gun smuggling trip). I even got another hate mail about three months ago. I read it a few times, thought about how to reply, wrote two different letters, then deleted them and decided not to respond. Like Dusty said "If you're gonna be stupid, you gotta be tough". Was I stupid for taking a handgun into Canada without knowing the laws? You bet your bippy! Was I actually smuggling guns? Not on your life and it was only one gun. It was an extremely hurtful event not to get to move to Alaska and volunteering that I had a handgun cost me about $5,000. I still love Canada and my *dear* Canadian friends and I sincerely mean that.

There are always small minded people who justify their own failures by saying "You can't get those kinda prices in my town" or "You can't sell that kinda work in my town". Going out once or twice and trying to sell that gold leaf job or quoting $90 sq. ft. for a sandblasted job and getting shot down is not failure; the only failure is giving up. Yeah I'm mildly envious (with a smile) of Dan S. getting to make these incredible projects all the time but he had the drive and paid the price to build that kind of business. People didn't just bust his door down with that sort of work; he had to develop it. If someone wants you to do a job you don't like doing - just say no; if you do it you'll probably get more of it. Sorry for the rabbit chasing.

Dan A., I hate to hear that you hold back because of your reasons but I totally understand. That still doesn't lessen the fact that you are greatly admired on here (yep, I bought your books) for not only your knowledge, creativity, talents and skills but your business savvy too. If anybody gives you any grief on here we'll have OP "take care of em". BTW, Jake thinks you're really cute. [Rolling On The Floor]

--------------------
Ricky Jackson
Signs Now
614 Russell Parkway
Warner Robins, GA
(478) 923-7722
signpimp50@hotmail.com

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Sir Issac Newton

Posts: 3528 | From: Warner Robins, GA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Frank Magoo
Resident

Member # 3950

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Frank Magoo   Email Frank Magoo   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So Ricky, what exactly would it take then to "run" you off??? [Rolling On The Floor] [Rolling On The Floor] [Rolling On The Floor] (damn smuggler) [Smile]

--------------------
Frank Magoo,
Magoo's-Las Vegas; fmagoo@netzero.com
"the only easy day was yesterday"

Posts: 2365 | From: Las Vegas, Nv. | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
David Harding
Resident

Member # 108

Icon 1 posted      Profile for David Harding   Author's Homepage   Email David Harding   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The RCMP, but they don't have jurisdiction in Georgia.

--------------------
David Harding
A Sign of Excellence
Carrollton, TX

Posts: 5084 | From: Carrollton, TX, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ray Rheaume
Resident

Member # 3794

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ray Rheaume   Email Ray Rheaume   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I thought we had an extradition treaty with Canada?

[I Don t Know] [I Don t Know] [I Don t Know]

[ September 13, 2007, 01:26 AM: Message edited by: Ray Rheaume ]

--------------------
Ray Rheaume
Rapidfire Design
543 Brushwood Road
North Haverhill, NH 03774
rapidfiredesign@hotmail.com
603-787-6803

I like my paint shaken, not stirred.

Posts: 5648 | From: North Haverhill, New Hampshire | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
David Harding
Resident

Member # 108

Icon 1 posted      Profile for David Harding   Author's Homepage   Email David Harding   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We do, but they don't want him.

--------------------
David Harding
A Sign of Excellence
Carrollton, TX

Posts: 5084 | From: Carrollton, TX, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ricky Jackson
Visitor
Member # 5082

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ricky Jackson   Email Ricky Jackson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They know I still have more guns! [Rolling On The Floor] [Rolling On The Floor] [Rolling On The Floor] Eh?

--------------------
Ricky Jackson
Signs Now
614 Russell Parkway
Warner Robins, GA
(478) 923-7722
signpimp50@hotmail.com

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Sir Issac Newton

Posts: 3528 | From: Warner Robins, GA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rick Beisiegel
Resident

Member # 3723

Icon 6 posted      Profile for Rick Beisiegel   Author's Homepage   Email Rick Beisiegel       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I hope none of us missed the pearls of wisdom dispensed by our very own Cam Bortz. [Applause]

That was a great prospective, I am sure it was very personal & heartfelt. [Smile]

I feel the same way sometimes, and disappear for a day or two. It's amazing how much work you can get done. [Wink]

[Cool]

--------------------
Rick Beisiegel
Vital Signs & Graphics
Since 1982
(231) 452-6225 / (231) 652-3300
www.vitalsignsandgraphics.com
www.facebook.com/VitalSignsNewaygo

""Good judgment comes from experience; and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" - Will Rogers

Posts: 3484 | From: Beautiful Newaygo, Michigan | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dusty Campbell
Visitor
Member # 4601

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dusty Campbell   Email Dusty Campbell       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's easy to get pulled in a different direction. I haven't read or posted anything here for a month or so. Mostly I've been pondering how to move from a one man shop into one with employees with the least amount of growing pains.

I don't know if I missed something hitting the fan, but I've noticed in the couple years I've been here that summer seems to bring higher levels of tension.

When I was reading every post, I'd just tune out the negative posts. Lalalala I can't hear you.

I'm not one of the ones refusing to come back, I just have alot going on at the moment.

I'm still glad to know y'all and look forward to meeting more.

--------------------
Industrious

Posts: 1032 | From: Athens, GA | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!