Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » Meaning of Native American Animals (raven, whale, etc)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Meaning of Native American Animals (raven, whale, etc)
Felix Marcano
Visitor
Member # 1833

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Felix Marcano   Author's Homepage   Email Felix Marcano   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi guys. Could someone tell me where I can find the meaning of these icons (Eagle, Raven, whale, salmon, etc.)

--------------------
Felix Marcano
PuertoRicoSigns.Com
Luquillo, PR

Work hard, party like a tourist!

Posts: 2274 | From: Luquillo, Puerto Rico, USA | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nevman
Resident

Member # 332

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nevman   Email Nevman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://en.wikipedia.org

Maybe ???

or

http://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portada

--------------------
Pat Neve, Jr.
321-537-8675
Capt. Sign

http://www.twitter.com/Pat_Signman

http://www.facebook.com/PatNeve

Posts: 2284 | From: Melbourne, FL, USA | Registered: Jan 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dawn Lane
Visitor
Member # 7895

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dawn Lane   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey Felix

Have you tried an internet search for "native symbolism" or animal symbolism?

Naturally different animals carry meanings which very as humans relationships with these animals has changed over time.

This collection of animals makes me think of Haida or North West Coasts mythologies. Family clans are based around animal spirits. Hope this helps!

Great memories from our time in Mazeppa, hope all is well with you!

--------------------
Dawn Lane
The Circle School
Thornhill, Ontario
Canada

Posts: 8 | From: Thornhill Ontario | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
old paint
Visitor
Member # 549

Icon 1 posted      Profile for old paint   Email old paint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
my understanding of this is differenr native american tribes would give special meaning to certain animals....as to their powers, or if you have an encounter with one....and the time and place of your encounter.
eagles, wolfs, bear, the buffalo, elk, deer....seem to be the most common.
to get info you would need to research by TRIBE, then folklore...medicine men and sprititual belifes. my wife is a member of the OUCHITA INDIANS and she has a lot of this info for them.
SALMON AND WHALE would be northwest/canadian tribes...
here are some referance books...
MEDICINE CARDS cards and a book.
ANIMAL KEEPERS....are 2 she tells me would be good.
and look here for more info:
http://memory.loc.gov/ammem/award98/ienhtml/tribes.html

[ August 28, 2007, 12:08 AM: Message edited by: old paint ]

--------------------
joe pribish-A SIGN MINT
2811 longleaf Dr.
pensacola, fl 32526
850-637-1519
BEWARE THE TRUTH.....YOU MAY NOT LIKE WHAT YOU FIND

Posts: 11582 | From: pensacola, fl. usa | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Felix Marcano
Visitor
Member # 1833

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Felix Marcano   Author's Homepage   Email Felix Marcano   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks a bunch guys. That should do! All is well Dawn (hotter than hell down here though)!

--------------------
Felix Marcano
PuertoRicoSigns.Com
Luquillo, PR

Work hard, party like a tourist!

Posts: 2274 | From: Luquillo, Puerto Rico, USA | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Deb Fowler
Resident

Member # 1039

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Deb Fowler   Email Deb Fowler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Felix!
Because you posted, I started to look up some meanings in the Creek Indian culture; for years I have tried to find what my sister had left for me in the genealogy that she started before she passed away with breast cancer 13 years ago. She found a link of our father's side with the Creek, however today, I discovered that my mother's side actually had the Creek with our McIntosh Scottish heritage!
As I was looking for you for the meanings, I see our family crest of McIntosh with this special Creek website. I knew my father had Blackfoot and Souix as I recollect my paternal grandmother telling us.
Thanks to your post, now I feel that I have honored my sister's dying wishes to find the people that had done connected the geneology to bind with our geneology she toiled over for so many years.
I am so thrilled that you posted, and can proceed, as there were many dead ends as I researched until today; somehow it wasn't there when I researched before, or I passed it by by chance.
This is typical of a spiritual journey that may have started in South America or with the Inuits as they traveled to be where they are today!
Thanks for letting me share.

--------------------
Deb Fowler

"It's kind of fun to do the impossible - Walt Disney (1901-1966)

Posts: 5373 | From: Loves Park, Illinois | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ron Helliar
Resident

Member # 398

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ron Helliar   Author's Homepage   Email Ron Helliar   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Felix,

This is a good starting point, one of the most definitive NW artists:

www.billholmcenter.org

--------------------
Ron Helliar
Marysville Sign
11807 51st Ave. NE
Marysville, WA 98271
(360) 659-4856

Posts: 263 | From: Marysville, WA USA | Registered: Feb 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Donald Miner
Visitor
Member # 6472

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Donald Miner   Email Donald Miner       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Next time you are out for a Sunday drive, stop by the Crazy Horse Memorial in South Dakota. You will not be sorry! I can't wait to go back. Just be prepared to spend a day. Good luck and God Bless! Don

--------------------
Donald Miner
ABCO Wholesale Neon
1168 Red Hill Creek
Dobson, NC

Posts: 842 | From: North Carolina | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!