Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » Credit Card Rip-Off

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Credit Card Rip-Off
Sonny Franks
Resident

Member # 588

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sonny Franks   Email Sonny Franks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My credit card (Capital One) raised my rate last month from 7.9% to 12.9%

I tried unsuccessfully to reach an actual customer service rep to ask WTF? E-mails were answered with automatic responses saying to call the 800 number. (the same number you can't reach anybody on)

Finally, I pretended I wanted to make a payment by phone thru the annoying and endless auto-response prompts and finally got a language-impaired idiot who eventually got me to an Engish-speaking supervisor. When I asked if I had been late or missed a payment, she said no, I had an excellent record. Her reason for raising my rate: "They do that sometimes", and that I should have received notice to that effect. (I never saw it, unless maybe it was in the teeny-tiny small print hidden somewhere on my statement)
Anybody else had this happen?

What's in MY wallet?
It sure as hell ain't Capital One.......

--------------------
www.signcreations.net
Sonny Franks
Lilburn, GA
770-923-9933

Posts: 4115 | From: Lilburn, GA USA | Registered: Feb 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
John Byrd
Visitor
Member # 825

Icon 1 posted      Profile for John Byrd   Author's Homepage   Email John Byrd   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Capital One is one of the companies that play dirty. Nationally known Consumer adviser Clark Howard names them as one of the worst he has seen in his career.

--------------------
John Byrd
Ball Ground, Georgia
770-735-6874
http://johnbyrddesign.com
so happy I gotta sit on both my hands to keep from wavin' at everybody!

Posts: 741 | From: Ball Ground, Georgia, USA | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joey Madden
Resident

Member # 1192

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joey Madden   Author's Homepage   Email Joey Madden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wachovia is prime rate, Check theirs out Sonny and it will make you happy. Probably under 7.9%

--------------------
HotLines Joey Madden - pinstriping since 1952
'Perfection, its what I look for and what I live for'

http://members.tripod.com/Inflite
http://www.pinheadlounge.com/hotlinesjoeymadden

Posts: 5962 | From: USA | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raymond Chapman
Resident

Member # 361

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Raymond Chapman   Author's Homepage   Email Raymond Chapman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just think what the rate would have been if you had actually been late or over the limit.

Card companies will raise your rate if you are late on a car or mortgage payment...and it has nothing to do with the card itself or the balance on that particular card - just another excuse to put you in a higher bracket. Ask me how I know?

Go through a bankruptcy and they have you by the .....well, they have a good grip on you.

[ August 22, 2007, 01:59 PM: Message edited by: Raymond Chapman ]

--------------------
Chapman Sign Studio
Temple, Texas
chapmanstudio@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 6306 | From: Temple, Texas, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike Murray
Visitor
Member # 840

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike Murray   Email Mike Murray       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Had the same thing happen to me a couple years ago with Capital One because they said I didn't carry a high enough balance. I would charge something and pay it off. I had that card for 10 years. Best part was when I canceled it they offered to lower the rate.

--------------------
Mike Murray
Murray Signs
Freeport IL

Posts: 193 | From: Freeport IL USA | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tim Whitcher
Visitor
Member # 685

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tim Whitcher   Email Tim Whitcher       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Card companies can raise your rate for absolutely no reason at any time. They can also demand payment in full on the balance of the card for no reason at anytime. Capital One is in a real fix over their 0% mortgages, and will probably collapse in a few months, but not before they eventually raise everyone's rates. I have one card, for emergencies only (and it's not Capital One).

--------------------
Tim Whitcher
Adrian, MI

Posts: 1546 | From: Adrian, MI | Registered: Mar 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jillbeans
Resident

Member # 1912

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jillbeans   Author's Homepage   Email Jillbeans   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know that you can call your credit card company and ask for a lower rate. I just did.
Sometimes it's quite a phone-tree climb tho.
I have a Chase Visa.
The interest rate is still pretty high tho.
Love.....Jill

Posts: 8834 | From: Butler, PA, USA | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Curtis hammond
Visitor
Member # 2170

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Curtis hammond   Email Curtis hammond   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i have capitol one ,, now I'll watch them like a hawk. They may be trying the old sneaky tricks other card providers did over the years.

I had Avanta once.. they did that raise the rate deal,, and then they tried the old late payment deal,, Only thing is,,, they would mark you late if your payment came in AFTER 6 AM on the day it was due and lick you $35 bux. Yes, 6 AM in the morning on the day it was due. If the due date just hapened to land on the 4th,, such as July 4th and that was on a FRiday they wouldn't mark your payment until the following Monday. Thats how they played it.

So maybe sonny paid on time but the payment fell into one of their stupid dishonorable games.

They just can't stand top make a buck with full honor. They just have to play it on the sly and make strange rules.

They got caught though. Some law firm did a class action suit. I was in it because of that payment due trap. The pay offf? 65 million. Yes $65 million.
My cut after expenses was .63 cents CREDIT on my card and any late payment marks removed. Problem is I ditched Advanta right after their late fee trick and never paid it. So I never got my whopping .63 cents. Their game built up to over $350 bux in further fees and interest. Suddenly one day they called and said they were clearing all this balance due crap. But, they got sued anyway and lost.

Long live the shysters.. Down with credit card theeves.

--------------------
Leaper of Tall buildings.. If you find my posts divisive or otherwise snarky please ignore them. If you do not know how then PM me about it and I will demonstrate.

Posts: 5274 | From: Im a nowhere man | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bruce ward
Visitor
Member # 1289

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bruce ward   Author's Homepage   Email bruce ward   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh yes. great credit, a great customer they dont care. they will sneak that in.

very simple...CALL IN AND CANCEL AND TAKE NO OFFERS THEY ARE OFFERING. if they can offer you a lower rate why the hell did they raise it in the first place.

Think of it like quote ing a sign if you told a customer $1000 for a sign and they balked and then you said ok Ill take $500 they would be ****ed wouldnt they?

there is too many cc companies out there to put up with that crap

--------------------
You ever notice how easily accessible people are when they are requiring your services but once they get invoice you can't reach them anymore

http://www.visual-images-signs.com/#!

VISUAL IMAGES
MONTGOMERY, AL

Posts: 2033 | From: Montgomery, AL, usa | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Billie DeBekker
Visitor
Member # 3848

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Billie DeBekker   Author's Homepage   Email Billie DeBekker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wait till you get a mortgage from some of those POS's. Our mortgage just went from $960 to $1450 a month from the wonderful people at Chase.. Been trying to refi for the last 2 months to no avail as all the lenders are getting picky and since I am self employed I can't get refinancing now. "So I'm told" so we just listed our house for sale and the hell with them all and we're just going to live in the back of the shop for a few years till we get the house finished in the mountains and become hermit sign makers.

--------------------
Billie DeBekker
3rd Dimension Signs
Canon City Colorado 81212
719-276-9338
bill@3dsignco.com
www.3dsignco.com

"Another Fine Graduate of the Ray Charles School of Sign Painting."

Posts: 2530 | From: Canon City, Colorado | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FranCisco Vargas
Deceased

Member # 145

Icon 1 posted      Profile for FranCisco Vargas   Author's Homepage   Email FranCisco Vargas   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sonny I hear you, I just spoke with Capital 1 two days ago, mine was 13.9% I said damn, checked to see I had paid them on time, everything was cool, they said they notified all their customers a couple of months ago. I said na na nanan sounds like bullshift exchanged a few words and came down to...since I been with them for awhile now, they was going to drop it to 8.9, damn you guys have a better rate in your area.
Stay on em bro, take no prisoners, everybody else check your statements, take nothin for granted...

--------------------
aka:Cisco the "Traveling Millennium Sign Artist"
http://www.franciscovargas.com
Fresno, CA 93703
559 252-0935
"to live life, is to love life, a sign of no life, is a sign of no love"...Cisco 12'98

Posts: 3576 | From: Fresno, Ca, the great USA | Registered: Dec 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Deb Fowler
Resident

Member # 1039

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Deb Fowler   Email Deb Fowler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My sister works for a credit card company. I have learned a lot since the six years she worked there.
It's in the fine print. Either from the beginning when you sign up, or comes in a statement that they are raising the rate or will at any time they want to do that. So, if you don't see it coming, it can be slipped in there and they can say, didn't you read the fine print when you started?
A retroactive kick in the butt, I say.

--------------------
Deb Fowler

"It's kind of fun to do the impossible - Walt Disney (1901-1966)

Posts: 5373 | From: Loves Park, Illinois | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jack wills
Resident

Member # 521

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jack wills   Email jack wills   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
CASH.......IS KING.

No interest rates.

--------------------
Jack Wills
Studio Design Works
1465 E.Hidalgo Circle
Nye Beach / Newport, OR

Posts: 2914 | From: Rocklin, CA. USA | Registered: Dec 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ian Stewart-Koster
Resident

Member # 3500

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ian Stewart-Koster   Author's Homepage   Email Ian Stewart-Koster   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
15.9% is standard here...you fellows have it good!

--------------------
"Stewey" on chat

"...there are no limits when you aim for perfection..." Jonathan Livingston Seagull

Posts: 7014 | From: Highgrove via Toowoomba, Queensland, Australia | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Greg McRoberts
Resident

Member # 3501

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Greg McRoberts   Email Greg McRoberts   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
CapitalOne gave me a late payment notice about 4 years ago and I called to challenge it since I pay my bills on time. Ba$tards told me it must have been the post office's fault and wouldn't remove the charge. I said OK then, I see how you roll.

I have since paid my bill IN FULL, non-fail every month for the last 4 years and haven't paid those f**ks a dime in interest. I've charged 10's of 1,000's of $$$ too. I'm now one of what they classify as a "deadbeat" since I pay my bills on time and they can't make any $$$ off me.

They truly, majorly, SUCK!!!! Run from them like they're on FIRE!

--------------------
Greg McRoberts
MacSign
Dayton, Ohio

Posts: 388 | From: Dayton, Ohio USA | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Felix Marcano
Visitor
Member # 1833

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Felix Marcano   Author's Homepage   Email Felix Marcano   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
GET RID OF ALL CARDS... Well, keep one to mail order materials.

--------------------
Felix Marcano
PuertoRicoSigns.Com
Luquillo, PR

Work hard, party like a tourist!

Posts: 2274 | From: Luquillo, Puerto Rico, USA | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Taylor
Visitor
Member # 162

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Glenn Taylor   Author's Homepage   Email Glenn Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Right on, Felix!

--------------------
BlueDog Graphics
Wilson, NC

www.BlueDogUSA.com

Warning: A well designed sign may cause fatigue due to increased business.

Posts: 10690 | From: Wilson, NC, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dale Feicke
Resident

Member # 767

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dale Feicke   Email Dale Feicke   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Got rid of all our lousy credit cards...use a debit card for everything. Works great...no frickin' interest payments.

--------------------
Dale Feicke Grafix
714 East St.
Mendenhall, MS 39114

"I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me."

Posts: 2963 | From: Mendenhall, MS | Registered: Apr 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ron Carper
Visitor
Member # 999

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ron Carper   Email Ron Carper       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Had to fire Advanta several years ago.
I charge about $6000 a month on the business card, pay it off in full every month.
Used one of those "convenience checks" to help with a temporary cash flow problem knowing I would have to pay interest for that one month.
Paid it off in full the next month, but they still kept charging me interest on it.
When I called they told me that I didn't pay my account in full, including any charges made up to the day the payment was made. That means charges that are not even on the statement yet.
Needless to say, they were gone that day.
Even if they don't make interest on you, they get 1-3% from the merchant.

--------------------
Carper's Signs
594 Union School Rd.
Mount Joy, PA 17552
carpersign@earthlink.net

Posts: 157 | From: Lancaster, PA, USA | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Si Allen
Resident

Member # 420

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Si Allen   Email Si Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have 3 credit cards.

One time one of them called and stated that they were going to charge me a higher interest rate.

I told them that I didn't give a rat's rump what their interest rate was because I always pay on time, BUT if it bothered them that much since I never had to make late interest payment, then they should cancel my card and that I would simply use one of my other cards.

Need less to say...they aplologized and said they would reduce the interest rate on my card.

[I Don t Know]

--------------------
Si Allen #562
La Mirada, CA. USA

(714) 521-4810

si.allen on Skype

siallen@dslextreme.com

"SignPainters do It with Longer Strokes!"

Never mess with your profile while in a drunken stupor!!!

Brushasaurus on Chat

Posts: 8827 | From: La Mirada, CA, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!