Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » How to mount SignFome® between verticle posts

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: How to mount SignFome® between verticle posts
Robert Cole
Visitor
Member # 477

Icon 5 posted      Profile for Robert Cole   Email Robert Cole   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am looking for any suggestions as to how to get a rigid mounting system that is easily field assembled. I will be mounting a dimensional Precision Board sign between two 6"x6" vinyl posts.The way I have designed the sign, I would like the sign to come against the posts flush if possible. very small standoffs would be acceptable if you could show how they would be constructed.
I am trying to find a field tested way of doing this that will be both easy, and STRONG.

Sure could use some help.

Thank You in advance for suggestions.

Regards, Bob C.

[ July 18, 2007, 09:32 AM: Message edited by: Robert Cole ]

--------------------
Bob Cole
American Sign Company
14163 Akron Canfield Rd.
Berlin Center, Ohio 44401

A.K.A. Vinylman®

Posts: 575 | From: Berlin Center, Ohio, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jillbeans
Resident

Member # 1912

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jillbeans   Author's Homepage   Email Jillbeans   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bob, when I did it, I used Liquid nails trowled out over a primed edge-sealed ˝" exterior plywood sheet cut a bit bigger than the SignFoam, with the SignFoam adhered to that.
Probably a real Jerry-Rigger but it has held up since 2000 with nary a problem. (double-faced, installed into a corresponding groove of 2 vertical 4x4s then with a 2" molding on the sides)
I am by no means a sign installer, just a sign painter. The client installed it as per my instructions.
I think I would have used Alumalite to make the sandwich filler nowadays.
Love....Jill

Posts: 8834 | From: Butler, PA, USA | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bill Lynch
Resident

Member # 3815

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bill Lynch   Email Bill Lynch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Single or double face? How big is the sign?
How thick is it?

--------------------
Bill Lynch
Century Sign
Hamden, CT
centurysign@snet.net

Posts: 1125 | From: Hamden, CT | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joe Cieslowski
Resident

Member # 2429

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joe Cieslowski   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Cieslowski   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Two, 1" or wider, galvinized steel straps routed into the sides of the sign so they are flush. Glue and screw into the sign. Make the straps about 3" longer (top and bottom) than the sign ends. Drill and counter sink 2 screw holes in the strap extensions. Attach to posts.

joe,

Makin Chips and Havin Fun!

[ July 18, 2007, 10:13 AM: Message edited by: Joe Cieslowski ]

--------------------
Joe Cieslowski
Connecticut Woodcarvers Gallery
P.O.Box 368
East Canaan CT 06024
jcieslowski@snet.net
860-824-0883

Posts: 2345 | From: East Canaan CT 06024 | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Cole
Visitor
Member # 477

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robert Cole   Email Robert Cole   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jill, Thanks.

Bill, The sign will be D.F. carved and gilded w/ 23kt. gold 3'x5' constructed of (3) 1.5" thick pieces sandwiched together to create depth. The center piece will be about 2" larger all the way around than the pieces that will be applied on top for depth.

Thanks, Bob C.

--------------------
Bob Cole
American Sign Company
14163 Akron Canfield Rd.
Berlin Center, Ohio 44401

A.K.A. Vinylman®

Posts: 575 | From: Berlin Center, Ohio, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amy Brown
Visitor
Member # 1963

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Amy Brown   Author's Homepage   Email Amy Brown   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bob,

We usually take a pipe (PVC or metal) glued into the center of the sheets in a routed channel. Then we run threaded rod through the sign and through holes on the posts, bolt with lock washer,washer, nut and cover with decorative caps. We use PT Pine in our posts, not just empty squares.

There is an example on our sites portfolio page. Blake Memorial. Kinda hard to see in that picture but it has the gold caps on the posts. We used three in this one.

http://www.ambodesign.com/port_carved.htm

[ July 18, 2007, 10:23 AM: Message edited by: Amy Brown ]

--------------------
Amy Brown
Life Skills 101
Private Address

Posts: 3502 | From: Lake Helen, FL, USA | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wayne Webb
Resident

Member # 1124

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wayne Webb   Author's Homepage   Email Wayne Webb   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Amy's been spying on me again [Wink]
That's exactly what I do, except I use rectangular tubing.
I use 1''x 2'' aluminum tubing, set in routed dados, between two sheets of 1.5'' HDU, all laminated with PB urethane glue.

I'm doing three double sided ones like this right now; One for a dentist's office, another for an orthopedic clinic and another for a surgical center.

[ July 18, 2007, 12:00 PM: Message edited by: Wayne Webb ]

--------------------
Wayne Webb
Webb Signworks
Chipley, FL
wayne@webbsignworks.com

Posts: 7403 | From: Chipley,Florida,United States | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike Faig
Visitor
Member # 6104

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike Faig   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Faig   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bob, here's one where steel .5" rods were placed into routed grooves on back of panels glued together and then sandblasted. The rods extend into the posts.  -

--------------------
Mike
gatlinburg Sign Crafters

Posts: 1051 | From: Gatlinburg, TN | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Todd Gill
Resident

Member # 2569

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Todd Gill   Email Todd Gill   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Amy - That's a great strategy! Thanks for that idea....I'm going to try that on my personal house sign when I finally get to it.

P.S. I liked your website, lot's of nice dimensional stuff - especially like the Troy Building Company sign. [Smile]

--------------------
Todd Gill
Outside The Lines
Potterville, MI

Posts: 7792 | From: Potterville, MI | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bill Lynch
Resident

Member # 3815

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bill Lynch   Email Bill Lynch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Joe's way has worked well for us.

--------------------
Bill Lynch
Century Sign
Hamden, CT
centurysign@snet.net

Posts: 1125 | From: Hamden, CT | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!