Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » Warning, Possiable Scam for Sign Shops

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Warning, Possiable Scam for Sign Shops
Devin Fahie
Visitor
Member # 3961

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Devin Fahie   Author's Homepage   Email Devin Fahie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I got a call, followed by this e-mail today:

Hello
Thank You and this is the artwork i need on the banners and the size is 3 x 8.I need 50 banners of the same artwork and size so get back to me with the total cost including the Surcharges for using a Master or Visa card.

Thank You and looking forward to hear from you soon
Rev Jackson.

I quoted the job (knowing that it seemend weird), I am located in Portland, Maine, this "customer" is in Atlanta, GA. and wants the banners shipped to his father (Chris Brown) in Ghana. I called the Dalton, GA police, the address of his "church" did not check out. He is supposed to be e-mailing me with a Credit Card number now, at that point I was told by the Georgia police to call my local law enforcement. I could be off on this, but the second I quoted him, he replied that he wanted to e-mail me his CC number. And to ship to Ghana, he sent me a G-Mail e-mail address that was the shipping company. Maybe I am paranoid, but this doesn't seem ligit to me, and I don't want to see it happen to any of you!

--------------------
Devin Fahie
Sebago Signworks
Rt. 302, Raymond, Maine
207-655-6622
devin@sebagosignworks.com

Posts: 96 | From: Raymond, Maine | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Graham Parsons
Resident

Member # 1129

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Graham Parsons   Author's Homepage   Email Graham Parsons   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think this is a current 'scam' - I understand it usually ends in you being out of pocket via a credit card charge back?

--------------------
Graham Parsons
Signs 'n Such Ltd
Swift Current
Saskatchewan
Canada.
www.signsnsuch.com

"Saskatchewan - hard to pronounce, easy to draw"

Posts: 710 | From: Saskatchewan, Canada | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James Chrimes
Resident

Member # 5864

Icon 1 posted      Profile for James Chrimes   Author's Homepage   Email James Chrimes       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It is a scam. I have herd of this one before.

--------------------
JIM CHRIMES
BACON GRAPHICS
56 SUMMIT ROAD
NEWPORT, NH 03773
bacongraphics.com

Posts: 283 | From: Newport, NH | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jillbeans
Resident

Member # 1912

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jillbeans   Author's Homepage   Email Jillbeans   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've heard of this one on other sign forums.
Usually from a reverend needing several banners.
The credit card numbers you'll be given will come back bad, then they'll send you new numbers.
Then I think they stop.
Luckily this has not happened to me!
...yet...
Love....Jill

Posts: 8834 | From: Butler, PA, USA | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Devin Fahie
Visitor
Member # 3961

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Devin Fahie   Author's Homepage   Email Devin Fahie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks Guys & Girls. I have nerver heard of this. I guess I should stay on these forums more, I havent posted here in years! I will get the CC number, and call the police. Thank you for confirming my post.

[ July 17, 2007, 06:02 PM: Message edited by: Devin Fahie ]

--------------------
Devin Fahie
Sebago Signworks
Rt. 302, Raymond, Maine
207-655-6622
devin@sebagosignworks.com

Posts: 96 | From: Raymond, Maine | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jamie Nicholson
Resident

Member # 6690

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jamie Nicholson   Email Jamie Nicholson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't accept credit cards. Never been takin advantage of for credit card fraud.........It works for me.

--------------------
Jamie Nicholson
Graphics 'n Signs by Trimline
Kenora, Ontario

Posts: 96 | From: Kenora, Ontario | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Grundy
Resident

Member # 103

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Grundy   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Grundy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Devin..Anything to do with a "Rev" and anything to do with an African country..ignore.

Dunno how many millions of dollars I have missed out on because I refuse to respond to e-mails like that.

--------------------
Dave Grundy
retired in Chelem,Yucatan,Mexico/Hensall,Ontario,Canada
1-519-262-3651 Canada
011-52-1-999-102-2923 Mexico cell
1-226-785-8957 Canada/Mexico home

dave.grundy@hotmail.com

Posts: 8875 | From: Chelem, Yucatan, Mexico/Hensall, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Len Mort
Resident

Member # 7030

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Len Mort   Author's Homepage   Email Len Mort       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This scam has been used everywhere, from business' and the antique collectibles industry.

If it sounds to good to be true, it's not!

Beware, use common sense when you read these opportunities, read between the lines.

--------------------
Len Mort
Signmaker1.com
11 Juniper Drive
Millbury, MA
508-865-2382
"A Good Business Sign, is A Sign of Good Business"(1957)

Posts: 811 | From: Millbury, Ma | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Doug Allan
Resident

Member # 2247

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Doug Allan   Author's Homepage   Email Doug Allan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The most common form of this scam that I am aware of has been to use the internet relay service, which is a service for deaf or mute people & I believe our tax dollars provide funding for operators to accept typed emails, then call us on the phone, & read the "deaf" persons email, listen to, & type out our response to facilitate the communication.

I had one of these guys, "Rev. Wilson" try to get 100 banners from me last month.

I believe what they usually do is give a stolen CC number for a deposit on items they don't want anyway. They often imply they will pick up the order in person, but when it's done, they want them shipped out of the country through a private shipper requiring a western union payment. If the sign company sends the payment thinking they can add it to the clients card, but by now that card proves stolen, and the "Rev" gets the money order, which is all he wanted. You get to keep your 100 banners [Eek!]

here's more info:
http://www.scamorama.com/deaf_relay.html

[ July 18, 2007, 12:13 AM: Message edited by: Doug Allan ]

--------------------
Doug Allan
http://www.islandsign.com

"you get what you settle for"

Posts: 8981 | From: Kahului, HI, USA | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Craig Sjoquist
Resident

Member # 4684

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Craig Sjoquist   Author's Homepage   Email Craig Sjoquist   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
yea sounds fishy to me reminds me when I tryed selling my 58chevy panel ..wow lol if only one would have been true ... but I knew better so off the web it came
lets see how it go ..I get a big check from rep... rep would take care of the rest 58 pannel ends up anywhere ..about that time I'd find out ck was phony lol

13 folds

--------------------
Craig Sjoquist
http://www.592sign.net
3220 N.O.B.T
Orlando Fl. 407-592-7446 vikinwolf@gmail.com

Posts: 1588 | From: Orlando Fl. | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tony Lucero
Visitor
Member # 1470

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tony Lucero   Author's Homepage   Email Tony Lucero   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Devin, thanks for sharing this. I got a similar e-mail from a guy for 50 3' x 8' banners. Something about Feeding Hungry Children. Specified white banners with blue lettering. Said to send him the invoice for prompt payment but specified NOT to include any shipping charges.
Replied to his e-mail to call me in person to discuss. He did, and was so very difficult to understand (and I can understand some real broken english). Told him I couldn't do business with him and he sent me another e-mail to continue the deal. I figured it was a scam and dropped it. Now I'm relieved that my "gut feeling" was right.
I thought of asking our Atty General to investigate this...but I never had any luck in getting our lawmakers to respond to me. I sent our senator a specific letter two weeks ago on a matter with our State licensing procedures/policies and have not had any reply. Our government can set up sting operations and nail crooks when they want...but apparantly they are too busy to deal with the internet scammers who continue to run the "I will send you $$$$$ if you just help me transfer $$$$$$$$ into the US"

--------------------
Tony Lucero
Eagle Graphics
Waterford, MI
www.eaglegph.com

Posts: 305 | From: Waterford, MI, USA | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Grundy
Resident

Member # 103

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Grundy   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Grundy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Gut instinct" has saved my butt many many times over the years.

Including just yesterday.

Currently in a holding pattern on a largish job.

Time will tell.

--------------------
Dave Grundy
retired in Chelem,Yucatan,Mexico/Hensall,Ontario,Canada
1-519-262-3651 Canada
011-52-1-999-102-2923 Mexico cell
1-226-785-8957 Canada/Mexico home

dave.grundy@hotmail.com

Posts: 8875 | From: Chelem, Yucatan, Mexico/Hensall, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brad Farha
Visitor
Member # 931

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brad Farha   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Farha   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This guy tried this very scam on me last month. He initially called via internet phone and then made subsequent contact via email. He said his name was "Reverend John Smith." Another red flag was when I asked for his shipping address and he said he would pick them up. I quoted the banners and when he asked to use a credit card I told him that I would only accept a cashier's check (even though I normally accept credit cards.) Never heard back from him.

--------------------
Brad Farha, owner
Farha Signs
Beckley, WV
304-252-3778

Posts: 981 | From: Beckley, WV | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brian Oliver
Visitor
Member # 2019

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brian Oliver   Author's Homepage   Email Brian Oliver   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just got an email from someone using a very similar sounding premise: 50 banners, some nondescript copy, one color on white. Wants to pay with "Valid Master Credit Card Account" (sic).
When I read this email (with tortured syntax and numerous spelling errors) it rang a bell of this suspected scam I read about here on this BB.

I'm not sure I would have fallen for it because it just sounds so fishy but, anyway, thanks for the heads up, everyone.

--------------------
Brian Oliver
Paxton Signs
Fort Collins, CO
paxton@peakpeak.com
www.paxtonsignsofcolorado.com

Posts: 237 | From: ft. collins, colorado,usa | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathy Lowry
Visitor
Member # 7353

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kathy Lowry   Author's Homepage   Email Kathy Lowry       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ohmygosh...i've had the same thing happen to me. The Rev. Jackson guy. He's called me on the phone several times, emailed me and did the internet relay thing. For some reason, i've avoided giving him any prices. You don't know how relieved i am to have seen this thread.

--------------------
Kathy Lowry
Lowry's Sign Shop
2004-B W. Pinhook Rd.
Lafayette, LA 70508
337-233-4412
signs@lowrysprinting.com

RIP Pvt. Mark Graham, US Army 7/26/1984 - 3/7/2007

Posts: 20 | From: Lafayette, LA | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!