Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » Canadian Bushie Bash in the Books

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Canadian Bushie Bash in the Books
Michael Boone
Deceased

Member # 308

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Michael Boone     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A good time was had by all
Details to follow........after nap

--------------------
Michael Boone
Sign Painter
5828 Buerman Rd.Sodus,NY 14551

Posts: 3223 | From: Sodus,NY,USA | Registered: Dec 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Laura Butler
Visitor
Member # 1830

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Laura Butler   Email Laura Butler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just getting into bed in a motel in Erie, PA. It was great meeting so many new people and Steve & Barb are such great hosts. Thanks Mike and John for the panels.

--------------------
Laura Butler
Vision Graphics & Sign
4479 Welch Rd
Attica, Mi 48412

Posts: 2855 | From: Attica, Mi, USA | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dawn Lane
Visitor
Member # 7895

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dawn Lane   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here's a giant shout out to Steve and Barb for sharing their home, time, talent and paint brushes! What a treat to meet some of your family! The grandkids are so talented, painting, singing.....amazing! We really feel blessed to have had some time again to play music with Steve!

--------------------
Dawn Lane
The Circle School
Thornhill, Ontario
Canada

Posts: 8 | From: Thornhill Ontario | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Michael Boone
Deceased

Member # 308

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Michael Boone     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
After a medium drive,I arrived in Fergus ,Ontario and found Hill St,where the imported sign writer and his bride were sitting quietly at a picnic table,enjoying some conversation with Pat and Dennis Raap,along with the Shortreeds.I sat down,had an orange juice and soon,Curtis and Kai arrived.A quick hello was exchanged,then we called it a night and went off to the Fergus Motel....the motel with a tall reputation.Alas.........no strippers,no parties.
After a few short hours of sleep,it was back to Letterville’s headquarters.I stopped at Zehr’s for some Canadian Bacon,a treat we don't get in the States,and Barb put her best chef on the breakfast detail.A break in the clouds allowed for a gourmetbreakfast at the picnic table and soon,we were at work in Steve’s garage.Bushie had already begun some panels and Steve had a banner under way
in no time.The Mayor doesnt seem to have lost his touch with a quill. Letters appeared magically on the banner and over on the table,the Aussie was busy with his tricks.I had a spot on the easel all to myself.Steve’s son is a tattoo artist and had a
terrific panel under way.He made the switch from needles to brushes and created a beautiful panel.
The day went way too fast,as they always seem to do,at a meet.Time flies when yer havin fun.The kids were doing panels under the direction of Bushie’s attentive eye and it didnt take long at all for them to get the hang of Bushie’s unique style.
Of special interest was Steve and Barb’s grand-daughter,Lydia.She has a natural eye for color,which she used along with a steady hand to create a bunch of very impressive panels.
There was a steady flow of visitors all day,which included the Shortreed family,friends and neighbors along with a sign person here and there.Dave Grundy took time out of his busy retirement schedule to drop in.A good mix of people made for a great day.
The day brought rain,clouds,sun, rain blue skies,and was unsettled .No matter...the meet went on.Steve and Barb got the night meal under way and a feast was enjoyed by all.I was a little concerned about the 2 big plates of baked beans that Curtis enjoyed because I had decided to room with him,but that good ole southern blood is still flowin in his veins..he can hold his beans!
The Butlers arrived late in the day and joined right in.After good food and converation it was back to the small garage to sling more paint.I took Dennis Raap to the lettering school corner of the garage and he was making basic lettering strokes in no time at all.He woke up Sunday
morning doing lettering strokes in his head!Looks like yet another one is now under the “Spell of the Quill”.
There was a gathering of musical friends who jammed for a short time but the day came to and end all too quickly.
Sunday morning turned sunny and Curtis treated his son and me to a nice breakfast after which we were again back at Hill Street.A few more quick panels were whipped up and then..all to quickly....it was time to say farewell.
Im glad I had the opportunity to meet Jon Butterworth..AKA Bushie and I will always treasure the few moments I got to spend with his lovely bride,Sue.
Thanks especially to the Shortreeds for a great weekend.My camera never even got to come out of hiding.Hopefully there will be some pics posted.
The Great Canadian Bushie Bash was a huge success.Im glad I made the effort to attend
Thanks........

[ July 16, 2007, 02:40 PM: Message edited by: Michael Boone ]

--------------------
Michael Boone
Sign Painter
5828 Buerman Rd.Sodus,NY 14551

Posts: 3223 | From: Sodus,NY,USA | Registered: Dec 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
old paint
Visitor
Member # 549

Icon 1 posted      Profile for old paint   Email old paint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
dats all weel n' gooder boone....BUT FOR US WHO CANT READ...HOW BOUT SOME PICTURES??????????????????????????????????

--------------------
joe pribish-A SIGN MINT
2811 longleaf Dr.
pensacola, fl 32526
850-637-1519
BEWARE THE TRUTH.....YOU MAY NOT LIKE WHAT YOU FIND

Posts: 11582 | From: pensacola, fl. usa | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Butterworth
Deceased

Member # 227

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jon Butterworth   Email Jon Butterworth   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It was a bit of a "B & B* bash [Smile]

Booney & Bushie slinging paint. I lost count at 12 panels around mid afternoon. Best thing was there were more kids painting than adults!

I learned a trick or two also.

Tacking home a lot of memories and a heap of pics ... here's some to share:

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

--------------------
Bushie^
aka Jon Butterworth

Executive Director
HARDLY NORMAL
SIGN COMPANY

http://www.icr.com.au/~jonsigns

Posts: 4014 | From: Toowoomba, Queensland, Australia | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Butterworth
Deceased

Member # 227

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jon Butterworth   Email Jon Butterworth   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
here are some more

-

-

-

-

-

--------------------
Bushie^
aka Jon Butterworth

Executive Director
HARDLY NORMAL
SIGN COMPANY

Posts: 4014 | From: Toowoomba, Queensland, Australia | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Curtis hammond
Visitor
Member # 2170

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Curtis hammond   Email Curtis hammond   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We got to Sarnia Canada after spending more than a few minutes getting over the border and getting some personal introductions to the local vocabulary after one who couldn't wait his turn got cut off by a huge semi..

The customs officer asked about 30 questions: where you going, where is Fergus, who you know there, how long you known them, why you going there, ever been there before, how long since you last saw the party, is it business, does his mother know you are taking him to Canada, do you have money, and what are your bringing, and do you have any guns in that vehicle. Lemme see his birth cert and your DL. Do you have registration for that car???

On the way I got a good look at an OPP cruiser comming out of nowhere to stop some kids who ran a red light at high speed. It was a quick flash of a car and I remember thinking. Oh how I wish I was in my unit again. I was surprised to see the OPP because narry a cruiser was in sight until that point.

Overall, I arrived at the secret Hill St. location unscathed by the experience. The command center was locatated within the compound of a really nice location that has the charm that only a home that raised a family cold ever have. Barb was a doting host who spoiled the kids too like only a grandmother could.

During the day we received lessons from bushie "Jon" on pulling a brush and watching him create magic from just a few colors. Jon guided Kai into his own kuala panel.

Another Master of the Brush is Mike Boone who quickly shared his creative abilities and techniques. He created a beautiful panel for Jon and his charming wife Susie featuring a train steam engine and old school lettering that matched the theme perfectly. Moreover, it seemed that between jon and boone that everyone would have a custom made panel.

A band with Steve the Axemaster appeared saturday night that played tunes as good as anyone would hope for. One song "searching for a heart of gold" stood out because there were plenty hearts of gold there. The show was cut a little short by some water drops falling from above.

A number of other guests arrived to share some lies and wine and some gifts. It was like Christmas.
Kai and Lydia played together for hours. They got busy one upping each other by lettering personal quotes on a sheet of plywood, chasing each other over a rubber snake, sharing cake and muffins, watching internet kid vids.

During the Saturday evening concert more than a few objects were lettered in the shop. It seems to be a time honored tradition to demonstrate lettering on any and all flat surfaces. There just isn't enuf spaces to put stuff.

The explosives box needed its name, the clock needed its star date, the defribilator had to be pointed out, the bomb door needed to be labeled, and the life support system had to be named as such.

Overall, the hosts were great, the food excellent, the atmosphere fun and stimulating and the people were wonderful.

-

[ July 16, 2007, 06:08 PM: Message edited by: Curtis hammond ]

--------------------
Leaper of Tall buildings.. If you find my posts divisive or otherwise snarky please ignore them. If you do not know how then PM me about it and I will demonstrate.

Posts: 5274 | From: Im a nowhere man | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Grundy
Resident

Member # 103

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Grundy   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Grundy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We enjoyed a too short visit at the Shortreed ranch.

It was nice to meet folks who I have only talked to on the phone or in chat. Sorry we missed Laura and her husband, but we had made plans to continue on from Steve and Barb's place to visit my brother and then visit my mother in a nursing home on Sunday.

From Curtis' description and Laura's wait at the border there must have been some kind of customs security blitz going on this past weekend.

BTW..When I met Dennis Raap, I almost said...

"What are you doing here Duncan??" [Big Grin]

--------------------
Dave Grundy
retired in Chelem,Yucatan,Mexico/Hensall,Ontario,Canada
1-519-262-3651 Canada
011-52-1-999-102-2923 Mexico cell
1-226-785-8957 Canada/Mexico home

dave.grundy@hotmail.com

Posts: 8875 | From: Chelem, Yucatan, Mexico/Hensall, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Steve Shortreed
Deceased Mayor

Member # 436

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Steve Shortreed   Author's Homepage   Email Steve Shortreed   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jeesh! I'm upstairs getting a bunch of photos ready to post, only to find that guy from downunder, downstairs that is, has beat me to the punch.

We didn't get the weather we wanted, but everything went perfect anyway. The old shop hasn't seen this much paint in years. I could swear I heard the old joint creak in joy.

It was a true Letterhead Meet. A nice mix of Heads, excited newbies, great food, live music and lots of panels. To have my Son Adam, and Grand Daughter Lydia involved made the whole thing extra special. Adam's panel blew us all away. Watch out Jill! Lydia looks like she is after your Panel Queen Title. [Smile]

Boone's brush skills are amazing. He not only cranked out some remarlable panels, but also found time to letter just about everything in the shop. I was scared to go to bed last night, in fear Mike had lettered some nasty stuff on our bedroom ceiling. [Smile]

We had a heap of chores to get done in preparation for this meet. I put Bushie to work cutting the grass.

-

Stay tuned. More to come!

[ July 16, 2007, 09:57 PM: Message edited by: Steve Shortreed ]

--------------------
Steve Shortreed
144 Hill St., E.
Fergus, Ontario
Canada N1M 1G9
519-787-2673

steve@letterville.com

www.letterville.com/profiles/shortreed/

Posts: 3710 | From: Fergus, Ontario, Canada | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jillbeans
Resident

Member # 1912

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jillbeans   Author's Homepage   Email Jillbeans   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Steve, I even did a Mapquest. I was going to try to make it regardless of the family obligation I had.
But I just didn't think the old Chev would make it. (312.44 miles)
My record is 16, I admit to being a bit nervous after seeing Lydia's handiwork!
Looks like it was a real nice time.
Sorry to have missed it.
Love....Jill

Posts: 8834 | From: Butler, PA, USA | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Deb Fowler
Resident

Member # 1039

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Deb Fowler   Email Deb Fowler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the posts everyone. There are many of us that would have loved to come, but this is great. You all went to a lot of work here and the pics are really nice too!

--------------------
Deb Fowler

"It's kind of fun to do the impossible - Walt Disney (1901-1966)

Posts: 5373 | From: Loves Park, Illinois | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Butterworth
Deceased

Member # 227

17 Jilly .. but that was 4 more Sunday Morning!

--------------------
Bushie^
aka Jon Butterworth

Executive Director
HARDLY NORMAL
SIGN COMPANY

Steve Shortreed
Deceased Mayor

Member # 436

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Steve Shortreed   Author's Homepage   Email Steve Shortreed   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As usual, I had to do all the work myself. Appy and Bushie were too busy lapping up our Canadian suds. [Smile]

-

-

Boone and Bushie bonded well. There was talk about buying dishes and setting up their own place. [Smile]

-

Son Adam demonstrates that he is a painter as well as a tattoo artist.

-

Curtis instructs his Son Kai on the finer points of something.

-

Dennis and Pat Rapp. Ain't love grand?

-

--------------------
Steve Shortreed
144 Hill St., E.
Fergus, Ontario
Canada N1M 1G9
519-787-2673

steve@letterville.com

Posts: 3710 | From: Fergus, Ontario, Canada | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Steve Shortreed
Deceased Mayor

Member # 436

The Bean Master Himself! Chuck Churchill. Yum Yum

-

Bushie's Mate Sue looks like she is having fun!

-

Roasting weinies around the campfire. Just don't get any better!

-

[ July 16, 2007, 10:06 PM: Message edited by: Steve Shortreed ]

--------------------
Steve Shortreed
144 Hill St., E.
Fergus, Ontario
Canada N1M 1G9
519-787-2673

steve@letterville.com

PatRaap
Resident

Member # 4290

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PatRaap   Author's Homepage   Email PatRaap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We just got home tonight. We went to see Niagra Falls, it was beautiful, but doesn't even compare to the great "Bushie Bash"! Steve and Barb were great hosts, [Smile] we had great food, they have a wonderful family, and we met some great friends! Mike, you are right, I woke up in the night to Dennis practicing his hand lettering in the air! ( [Rolling On The Floor] lol-just kidding) thanks again for all your great pointers!
Jon and Sue it was great meeting you! I will treasure my "Kangaroo" panel forever, it is awesome!
Between Mike and Bushie, my brain is on overload from all the tips and techniques I learned.
I might not have made it to a winery, but found out that the Aussies have some great wine! [Smile] What is the name of that again?!
It was great to meet all the guys, and great to see Dawn and Steve again!
Thanks again Barb and Steve for the great hospitality!

--------------------
Patricia A. Raap
Raap Signs
2615 Arthur
Coopersville, MI 49404
616-677-0158
pat@raapsigns.com

Posts: 576 | From: Coopersville, MI 49404 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Laura Butler
Visitor
Member # 1830

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Laura Butler   Email Laura Butler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
12:56am and we just got home...without an airplane. Stay tuned for more details in the morning. Good night ya'll

--------------------
Laura Butler
Vision Graphics & Sign
4479 Welch Rd
Attica, Mi 48412

Posts: 2855 | From: Attica, Mi, USA | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rollie Guertin
Visitor
Member # 6415

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rollie Guertin   Author's Homepage   Email Rollie Guertin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
sorry I missed it , got caught up with kid stuff , looks like I should have brought them !!

--------------------
Rollie Guertin Pinstriping
Guelph,Ontario CANADA
519-826-9434
www.guertin.com/pinstriping

Posts: 25 | From: Guelph ,Ontario | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Laura Butler
Visitor
Member # 1830

We had a great time at the Shortreed's...just to short. As usual had help trying to learn to letter and stripe. One of these days I'll be able to do sign my name proficiently.

I am surprised that no one posted a picture of the real BMW that Raap's won. What a great prize. Even the locals are talking about it (at night, after dark and behind the motel). I could have drove it home for ya.

We left there and went on a genealogy hunt to Mono Mills, Canada, looking for info on Garry's G-Grandfather and mother that were married there. We found a great little museum/history center in Dufferin County but got there 11 minutes before closing. We talked with the curator and he is going to try to help dig up info for us.

We left there and drove to Erie, Pa and spent the night. Since we thought that Garry was going to be flying our new plane home from Meadville, Pa the next day, I wanted him to have a good night's sleep first.

I am not going to go off about the mechanic wprking on the plane, like I have with some friends but I know that when I give a quote, that I really try to stay as close to it without going over, if possible. I always feel bad when I do. This mechanic gave us a quote of $720.00 and gave us a bill of almost $3000.00. I about blew a cork when he e-mailed the bill before we left.

Anyway, we gave him his money, pulled the plane out of his hangar and proceeded to start it up. Wouldn't start. Garry and him worked on it most of the morning and afternoon. Got it started but couldn't get the magnetos running correctly.

Now Garry crashed and totaled our Tri-Pacer back in 1981 from both magnetos failing and this one was doing the exact same thing. So we left it there, tied down and came home for the third time without an airplane. Next time we go out, we are taking a trailer and more tools. More to come at a later date.

--------------------
Laura Butler
Vision Graphics & Sign
4479 Welch Rd
Attica, Mi 48412

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!