Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » Inspection for Two - 2ft Holes. Why?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Inspection for Two - 2ft Holes. Why?
Gene Golden
Resident

Member # 3934

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gene Golden   Author's Homepage   Email Gene Golden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A neighboring Township requires that I dig the two holes for a sign installation (for 4"posts).
Then I have to call to have the holes inspected.

Have you ever heard such a crock?

The sign is only 6' to the top! What type of engineering do they think I need?

I've been doing signs for 31 years now, and I've never heard anything so ridiculous.

And of COURSE the location is 30 miles each way.
Is this normal for anyone?

--------------------
Gene Golden
Gettysburg Signs
Gettysburg PA 17325 717-334-0200
genegolden@gettysburgsigns.com

"Art is knowing when to stop."

Posts: 1578 | From: Gettysburg, PA | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bill Lynch
Resident

Member # 3815

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bill Lynch   Email Bill Lynch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There's a town here that requires a signed/stamped engneered drawing for EVERY sign
in town. That includes a 2'x8' piece of dibond screwed to a wall.

--------------------
Bill Lynch
Century Sign
Hamden, CT
centurysign@snet.net

Posts: 1125 | From: Hamden, CT | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Russ McMullin
Resident

Member # 5617

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Russ McMullin   Author's Homepage   Email Russ McMullin       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was watching an editorial piece on TV a few days ago. They were talking about swimming holes that have been used for decades, and how the fear of liability has shut them down. Then they talked about how the high dives have been removed from many swimming pools. The reporter looked into the number of injuries related to high dives. They found no cause for concern whatsoever. But, the POSSIBILITY of injury was what motivated the removal of the diving boards.

The fear of injury and liability have motivated some of the stupidest restrictions. We sing patriotic songs of independence and freedom, but then allow the straightjacket of idiotic regulation to be placed upon us.

--------------------
Russ McMullin
Tooele, UT
www.mcmullincreative.com

My mind wanders. And that's not a good thing, 'cause it's too small to be out there alone.

Posts: 3129 | From: Tooele, UT | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Frank Magoo
Resident

Member # 3950

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Frank Magoo   Email Frank Magoo   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It would be my guess that it's being done to ensure "hand dug holes"...versus "computor generated" ones, as witnessed in here last year and more recently when a Letterhead offered pre-dug holes in here....problem w/pre-dugs are they are computor generated and will cause problems down the road... [Rolling On The Floor] [Rolling On The Floor] [Rolling On The Floor]

(truth be known, Russ is probably the closest in his thoughts) [Frown]

[Smile] [Cool]

--------------------
Frank Magoo,
Magoo's-Las Vegas; fmagoo@netzero.com
"the only easy day was yesterday"

Posts: 2365 | From: Las Vegas, Nv. | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jillbeans
Resident

Member # 1912

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jillbeans   Author's Homepage   Email Jillbeans   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is a totally off the wall thought.
But considering the historic region in which you live, Gene...
could they be worried that you might dig up old battlefield artifacts?
I mean, Gettysburg, Chambersburg, Cashtown, Hagerstown all had Civil War activity.
[I Don t Know]
Love....Jill

Posts: 8834 | From: Butler, PA, USA | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Si Allen
Resident

Member # 420

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Si Allen   Email Si Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Duhhhh...what part of 'revenue enhancement' don't you understand?

[Rolling On The Floor] [Rolling On The Floor] [Rolling On The Floor] [Rolling On The Floor] [Rolling On The Floor]

[ July 09, 2007, 04:13 PM: Message edited by: Si Allen ]

--------------------
Si Allen #562
La Mirada, CA. USA

(714) 521-4810

si.allen on Skype

siallen@dslextreme.com

"SignPainters do It with Longer Strokes!"

Never mess with your profile while in a drunken stupor!!!

Brushasaurus on Chat

Posts: 8827 | From: La Mirada, CA, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike South
Visitor
Member # 4523

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike South   Email Mike South       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Our city requires inspection for all concrete foundations. Buildings, signs, homes etc. You can't have a good structure if you don't have a good foundation. Our city is relaxed about the inspections(for signs). They don't care about a couple of 4"x4" set in concrete. Larger sign structures they will inpect and should.

Our city requires sign structures to be engineered to 90mph wind loads without structural failure. This is the reason for inspections.

Set 20 4x4 post in a week and overload them. They will stop looking at 2' holes. Make a suggestion to your city engineers on small structure under so many square feet should not require inspection.

Russ mentioned the increasing liab. Have a city inspect a sign foundation. Then have it blow off and damage or cause an injury. They assume more liability.

--------------------
Mike South
ABC Glass & Signs, Inc.
1415 Main Street
Miles City, MT 59301

abc@midrivers.com
406-234-1234

Posts: 167 | From: Miles City, MT | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ricky Jackson
Visitor
Member # 5082

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ricky Jackson   Email Ricky Jackson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don't you charge a significant fee for making the second trip out because of their assinine regs? I'd hit them with an additional $150; gas ain't cheap you know.

--------------------
Ricky Jackson
Signs Now
614 Russell Parkway
Warner Robins, GA
(478) 923-7722
signpimp50@hotmail.com

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Sir Issac Newton

Posts: 3528 | From: Warner Robins, GA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roy Frisby
Resident

Member # 736

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Roy Frisby   Email Roy Frisby   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey Magoo, I beg your pardon! My pre-made post holes are recycled oilwell holes, not computer generated. Well, maybe the "hole" saw is computer driven to cut them to length. [Wink]
As of late, I have been having trouble with a guy in a pig costume trying to steal the holes. I suppose he's is trying to go "Whole hog" about it. [Bash] [Rolling On The Floor] [Rolling On The Floor] [Rolling On The Floor]

--------------------
Frisby Signs, Inc.
El Dorado, Arkansas

Posts: 902 | From: El Dorado, Arkansas, USA | Registered: Apr 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Frank Magoo
Resident

Member # 3950

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Frank Magoo   Email Frank Magoo   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Boss Hog?????? [Rolling On The Floor] [Rolling On The Floor] [Rolling On The Floor] [Rolling On The Floor]

--------------------
Frank Magoo,
Magoo's-Las Vegas; fmagoo@netzero.com
"the only easy day was yesterday"

Posts: 2365 | From: Las Vegas, Nv. | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bruce ward
Visitor
Member # 1289

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bruce ward   Author's Homepage   Email bruce ward   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
had a tripod sign post were 3x3 aluminum. specs were
36" deep and 24" circumference. I dont think cell phone towers are put in this good. complete overkill. I avoid permits (if posssible) at all costs. Waste of energy, time, money and materials

--------------------
You ever notice how easily accessible people are when they are requiring your services but once they get invoice you can't reach them anymore

http://www.visual-images-signs.com/#!

VISUAL IMAGES
MONTGOMERY, AL

Posts: 2033 | From: Montgomery, AL, usa | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
goddinfla
Visitor
Member # 1502

Icon 1 posted      Profile for goddinfla   Email goddinfla   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I dug some holes a few years back and called for inspection. Because the part of town where the sign was going had a lot of homeless I covered the holes with plywood to keep them from falling in. We went later that day to check the permit. It was red tagged. The inspector wrote "Must dig holes for inspection" I called the supervisor and she sent the inspector to meet us at the site. He arrived wearing a white shirt with epaulets, looking like Gopher from Love Boat and was astounded when I moved the pieces of plywood next to the piles of dirt and revealed holes, imagine that. I could visualize him standing there looking up at the sky saying,"Now where could those holes be?"

--------------------
Dennis Goddard

Gibsonton Fl

Posts: 1050 | From: Tampa Fl USA | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Monte Jumper
Resident

Member # 1106

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Monte Jumper   Email Monte Jumper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They require it here too ...however no one enforces it...so they had just as well take it off the books.

I set all my signs 3' no matter what...then I never have to go back and straighten anything.

All that having been said I welcome the city to check my hole anytime they feel the need! :0

--------------------
"Werks fer me...it'll werk fer you"

Monte Jumper
SIGNLanguage/Norman.Okla.
jumpers@itlnet.net

Posts: 3185 | From: Norman,Okla.U.S.A. | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ray Rheaume
Resident

Member # 3794

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ray Rheaume   Email Ray Rheaume   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Proof positive that it takes one kind of hole to know another.
[Smile]

I'm gonna go away now...
Rapid

--------------------
Ray Rheaume
Rapidfire Design
543 Brushwood Road
North Haverhill, NH 03774
rapidfiredesign@hotmail.com
603-787-6803

I like my paint shaken, not stirred.

Posts: 5648 | From: North Haverhill, New Hampshire | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Si Allen
Resident

Member # 420

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Si Allen   Email Si Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What you poeple fail to realize....you stop by the inspector and let him inspect the predug holes that Roy provides...before you install them! That way you both avoid the necessity of an extra trip!

[For Your Information] [I Don t Know] [Rolling On The Floor] [Rolling On The Floor]

--------------------
Si Allen #562
La Mirada, CA. USA

(714) 521-4810

si.allen on Skype

siallen@dslextreme.com

"SignPainters do It with Longer Strokes!"

Never mess with your profile while in a drunken stupor!!!

Brushasaurus on Chat

Posts: 8827 | From: La Mirada, CA, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sonny Franks
Resident

Member # 588

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sonny Franks   Email Sonny Franks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That happened last year when I tried to get a permit for a 3' x 4' hanging sign on a 4" x 4" post in Gainesville GA. The lady said the "footing" had to be inspected before I could install the sign. I told her there wasn't a footing, just a post in a hole. She then told me (with a straight face) "Well, then your hole will have to be inspected"......

45 mile drive - one trip for permit, second trip to dig hole, third trip to install sign. I was not a happy camper.

--------------------
www.signcreations.net
Sonny Franks
Lilburn, GA
770-923-9933

Posts: 4115 | From: Lilburn, GA USA | Registered: Feb 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gene Golden
Resident

Member # 3934

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gene Golden   Author's Homepage   Email Gene Golden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks, guys and Jill.
I thought this was the only goofy area.

Jill,
Do you really think there would be any items I find left in the bottom of the hole [Smile] ?

I'm heading out to dig. Hi Ho! (not you Jill)

--------------------
Gene Golden
Gettysburg Signs
Gettysburg PA 17325 717-334-0200
genegolden@gettysburgsigns.com

"Art is knowing when to stop."

Posts: 1578 | From: Gettysburg, PA | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mikes Mischeif
Visitor
Member # 1744

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mikes Mischeif   Email Mikes Mischeif       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have experienced this also, except we had already dug and poured the concrete. They said we need to have an engineer inspect the hole to make sure we were 36" deep.

I called an engineer and the charge was $450. I said how do you plan to check how far down we really are. He said he was going to dig right down beside our hole to measure.

I said, aren't you going to compromise the strenth of my hole when you pack the loose dirt back into your hole?

He said not my problem, at least you will have a permit for a weak hole.

I left the situation in the hands of the builder, who after two board meetings got an exemption.

UNBELIEVABLE!

--------------------
Mike Duncan
Lettercraft Signs

Posts: 1328 | From: Centreville, VA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Donald Miner
Visitor
Member # 6472

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Donald Miner   Email Donald Miner       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, Well here we go again. Friend of mine paid $50.00 for a hole inspection. Inspector showed up 3 hours late, took a look, said"Yep that's a hole". Got in his pickup amd drove off. On a more serious note here is one reason we need hole inspectors. Recently a single pole sign about 6'x8' d/f on a single pole about 16' over-all hieght fell over due to a very strong wind storm. Believe it or not when I checked to see what happened, I saw 4 -4' lag bolts through the bottom plate of the sign had been screwed into the asphalt parking lot.

--------------------
Donald Miner
ABCO Wholesale Neon
1168 Red Hill Creek
Dobson, NC

Posts: 842 | From: North Carolina | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
David Harding
Resident

Member # 108

Icon 1 posted      Profile for David Harding   Author's Homepage   Email David Harding   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
About 20 years ago, I got a Monday morning call to clean up the mess after an illegally installed sign blew over. It was a 12' x 32' billboard with 8' ground clearance set on five telephone poles. It had been put up over the weekend without a permit--as if the city inspectors wouldn't notice that sign!

The first hole was dug 2' deep. They got progressively shallower and the last one was only 10". I guess the guy got tired.

It's a wonder the installers didn't get killed while they were up there nailing on the stringers.

--------------------
David Harding
A Sign of Excellence
Carrollton, TX

Posts: 5084 | From: Carrollton, TX, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tony Segale
Visitor
Member # 1380

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tony Segale   Author's Homepage   Email Tony Segale       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Five years ago, I obtained a sign installers contractors license. I include in the quoted price of the sign, drawings and plans for obtaining a permit, but it does not included the city permit fees.
Now, learn your cities codes. Example: a moument sign over 6' requires engineer drawings. Well, I never design a monument sign taller than 6' including it's base or pedestal. I recently completed a sign which was 6 1/2' tall, leaving off the base or pedestal it is known as a 'free standing ' sign, therefor, no engineer drawings.
The contractor's license helped me do three things...
1) obtain and charge for plans necessary to obtain sign permits
2) subcontract all installations out to other construction contractors who are almost always looking for more work to cover their work comp overloads, and
3) make more profit

--------------------
Tony Segale
Segale Fine Art & Gold Leaf Sign Co
Lodi, CA
www.tonysegale.com

""and he took that golden hair and made a sweater for baby bear"

Posts: 216 | From: Lodi,CA,USA | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Grundy
Resident

Member # 103

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Grundy   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Grundy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I haven't "installed" a single sign in over 10 years. Why bother? There are all sorts of people who are experienced and have the equipment to do it. I just add their cost to the job with a mark-up.

I do do all my own "installs" on boats and trucks and pick-ups and vans and trailers though.

"Work smart, not hard" [Wink]

--------------------
Dave Grundy
retired in Chelem,Yucatan,Mexico/Hensall,Ontario,Canada
1-519-262-3651 Canada
011-52-1-999-102-2923 Mexico cell
1-226-785-8957 Canada/Mexico home

dave.grundy@hotmail.com

Posts: 8875 | From: Chelem, Yucatan, Mexico/Hensall, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sheila Ferrell
Resident

Member # 3741

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sheila Ferrell   Email Sheila Ferrell       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This IS assinine. Sounds like some city-committee-guy created a job for some home-boy who needed SOMETHING to do.

What ever happened to the simple and straight-forward 'call-b-4-U-dig' campaigne?

I'm like Si. Anytime I deal with MORE bull it's going to gereate MORE $$$ into my pocket.

SOMEONE'S GONNA PAY. lol [Smile]

Ya know, Gene . . .
depending on what type of sign it is 2ft MIGHT not even be deep enough!. . . I think I would have an extra charge for having to dig holes NOT deep enough to sufficiently support the sign!

Stack up a bunch'a paper to look like a catalogue the first page being
a wind-load chart and require the alleged 'inpsector' to read and sign
your disclaimer saying they will pay for any and all expenses incured from repairs you might have to make due to the inadequate installation procedure they require.
Demand their attention to YOUR inspection requirements!!

yep. Beat 'em at their own game! [Big Grin] [Wink]

[ July 13, 2007, 05:34 PM: Message edited by: Sheila Ferrell ]

--------------------
Signs
Sweet Home Alabama

oneshot on chat

"Look like a girl, act like a lady, think like a man, work like a dog"

Posts: 5758 | From: "Sweet Home" Alabama | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!