Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » Billboard Repaint

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Billboard Repaint
Kevin Doehrmann
Visitor
Member # 2947

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kevin Doehrmann   Email Kevin Doehrmann   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been using Zinser's, Bullseye 123 acrylic primer for new MDO signs. Will it stick and hold up long term over previously painted bulletin enamel ?

--------------------
Kevin Doehrmann
Doehrmann Signs
901 Oak St.
Williamsburg, IA 52361
doehrmannsigns@iowatelecom.net

Posts: 19 | From: Williamsburg, Iowa | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dale Feicke
Resident

Member # 767

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dale Feicke   Email Dale Feicke   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Kevin,
Historically, acrylic primers have not had a good track record of sticking to oil base enamels, long-term. I personally wouldn't do it. I know there have been a lot of advances made to acrylics, and you may get several conflicting opinions here, but there's just too much to go wrong and too much work involved in billboards.

--------------------
Dale Feicke Grafix
714 East St.
Mendenhall, MS 39114

"I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me."

Posts: 2963 | From: Mendenhall, MS | Registered: Apr 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kristie Byrnes
Visitor
Member # 3510

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kristie Byrnes   Email Kristie Byrnes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hey kevin, In my opinion, as dale said, I personally wouldn't do it either. I just got asked to give a price for a re-paint on a billboard, and told them that I would not even consider a re-paint (it is MDO, and peeling bad). I said I would only do it by refacing it with alumalite, and quoted them a high price, not really wanting the job, and danged if they didn't say to go ahead and do it. The sign was previously re-painted only a couple years ago (not by me) using the existing boards.

--------------------
Kristie Byrnes
Paintbrush Graphics
6126 Big Cut Rd.
Mt. Carroll, IL 61053
rugbyrnes@hotmail.com
(563) 357-7614

Posts: 90 | From: Thomson,IL | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jack wills
Resident

Member # 521

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jack wills   Email jack wills   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Use XIM 300 clear sealer. You might find it at a
local dealer in your area by going to google
on the internet.

It will work.

Jack, An old bulletin painter

--------------------
Jack Wills
Studio Design Works
1465 E.Hidalgo Circle
Nye Beach / Newport, OR

Posts: 2914 | From: Rocklin, CA. USA | Registered: Dec 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ScooterX ScooterX has just turned 57
Resident

Member # 2023

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ScooterX   Author's Homepage   Email ScooterX       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Kevin,
besides the primer sticking, you have to consider the shapes of the old lettering showing through. (not the color, just the thicker paint edges). so that means you have to sand - not just scuff - the old sign face before priming. the extra labor might be better spend on a new sign face.

of course, if the old lettering ghosts don't matter, then it probably doesn't matter how long the primer sticks. (that it, if this is a temporary sign that only has to last a year, then go ahead)

--------------------
:: Scooter Marriner ::
:: Coyote Signs ::
:: Oakland, CA ::
:: still a beginner ::
::

Posts: 1356 | From: Oakland (and San Francisco) | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Michael R. Bendel
Visitor
Member # 5847

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Michael R. Bendel   Author's Homepage   Email Michael R. Bendel       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Whatever you choose, remember it's only as good as the layer beneath it.

I'd say long term is out. No warrantee.

--------------------
Michael R. Bendel
Bendel Sign Co,. Inc.
Sauk Rapids, MN

Posts: 913 | From: Sauk Rapids, MN | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Butterworth
Deceased

Member # 227

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jon Butterworth   Email Jon Butterworth   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Scooter: We talking Billboards ... big things seen at 60mph! Who's going to see old outlines of letters underneath fresh paint!

I've painted billboards with so many bullet holes in them they look like swiss cheese up close! Yes Curt/Zee Aussies still own guns [Smile]

Fortunately down here we don't have the problem of MDO peeling etc. Our billboards are steel sheeted. Quick wire brush, roll on a sealer undercoat and bash the new one on.

--------------------
Bushie^
aka Jon Butterworth

Executive Director
HARDLY NORMAL
SIGN COMPANY

http://www.icr.com.au/~jonsigns

Posts: 4014 | From: Toowoomba, Queensland, Australia | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!