Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » going digital

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: going digital
thom miller
Visitor
Member # 1845

Icon 1 posted      Profile for thom miller   Email thom miller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's (way past)time to buy a printer/cutter.
I am a one man shop. Need it for decals,vehicles,
banners, etc. What are your recomendations?
Thermal? solvent? Roland? Gerber? Summa?
(I am using Gerber Graphix Advantage right now so I realize it's time to send that to the Smithsonian.)

--------------------
Thom
CREATIVE SIGNWORKS
Lancaster,PA
creativesignworks1@juno.com

Posts: 79 | From: lancaster,PA usa | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike O'Neill
Resident

Member # 470

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike O'Neill   Author's Homepage   Email Mike O'Neill   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Much discussed topic --- Search

--------------------
Mike O'Neill

It has yet to be proven that intelligence has any survival value.
- Arthur C. Clarke

mike@copyshop.ca

Posts: 3094 | From: Labrador City, NF, Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Taylor
Visitor
Member # 162

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Glenn Taylor   Author's Homepage   Email Glenn Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thom,

It really depends on what your market wants. There really isn't one machine to do it all.

I run a Gerber Edge and I make plenty of money with it. I don't have a wide-format printer such as a Summa DC-4 or a Roland VersaCamm because there isn't that much of a market for me in this area.

However, the reverse can be true in your area.

I would strongly suggest taking a look at the work you are doing now, farm the work to a wholesaler and build your market first. When you've done that, you'll have a much better idea of which printer is best for you.

--------------------
BlueDog Graphics
Wilson, NC

www.BlueDogUSA.com

Warning: A well designed sign may cause fatigue due to increased business.

Posts: 10690 | From: Wilson, NC, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Curtis hammond
Visitor
Member # 2170

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Curtis hammond   Email Curtis hammond   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i have digital printer.
I had two at one time. The wholesale prices are so low now that I would let someoen else do the printing. Some are charging just $2 bux a square foot and thats so low that I wouldnt condsider byuing a pritner ..

--------------------
Leaper of Tall buildings.. If you find my posts divisive or otherwise snarky please ignore them. If you do not know how then PM me about it and I will demonstrate.

Posts: 5273 | From: Im a nowhere man | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Checkers
Resident

Member # 63

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Checkers   Author's Homepage   Email Checkers   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hiya Thom,
Good advice from the others so far, but the printer is only a small part of the equation. Other things you need to consider, which depend on the type of printer are...

Computer and Software upgrades - You're easily looking at $3k and it can run $5k or more if you're starting from scratch.

Laminator - You have 2 choices, you can go with a liquid laminate or an applied film. Both work, but it's up to you to determine what is best for you and your client. While most prints don't need lamination, they will last longer and be more durable if you do protect them. Also, I would say that laminate is a requirement for vehicle graphics.
You definitely get what you pay for here. They start around $2k and run $10 to $15k for some of the better models.

Training - Thermal printers are a little easier to operate and color manage, but it's not cut and dry. You can spend a couple of grand on decent training or blow through 2 to 3 times that amount on materials trying to figure it out on your own.

A clean, climate controlled space to set up and operate is another factor. If you get a 54" or wider printer, you're going to need a lot of space. This size printer can take up a 5'x10' space to be efficient. Then you'll need more room to store the raw and ready to finish materials. Thermal resin printers are more tolerant to poor environmental conditions but either set up should be kept in a dust free environment.

From there, just about anything can go. It's more a question on how much do you want to spend and which will give you a better return on your investment.

One last thing to consider, you should also plan on spending some money to market this new service too. Besides printing samples and decorating your own equipment, you may want to send out some post cards and make some calls, announcing your new capabilities.

Since you're not far from me, don't hesitate to give me a call. My number's on my website.

Havin' fun,

Checkers

--------------------
a.k.a. Brian Born
www.CheckersCustom.com
Harrisburg, Pa
Work Smart, Play Hard

Posts: 3775 | From: Harrisburg, Pa. U.S.A. | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!