Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » OT - simple car repair, not simple

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: OT - simple car repair, not simple
Russ McMullin
Resident

Member # 5617

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Russ McMullin   Author's Homepage   Email Russ McMullin       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've got a 95 Honda Accord that won't stay started. As long as the key is in position to engage the starter, the engine runs - you can rev it up briefly. If you release the key, the engine dies. I decided it's got to be the ignition switch, because the dash lights are also only on in the start position.

Seems like a simple-enough problem. Remove the screws and pull out the switch. I wish it were that easy. It's trapped between pieces of metal that are either welded, or riveted to the steering column. I got the original part out by reducing it to various pieces. The new part won't go in that way. I was hoping that removal of the old part would show me a better way, but there doesn't seem to be one. It looks like I'll need to grind some of the metal back about 1/8" to make it fit. I guess it's Dremel time.

--------------------
Russ McMullin
Tooele, UT
www.mcmullincreative.com

My mind wanders. And that's not a good thing, 'cause it's too small to be out there alone.

Posts: 3129 | From: Tooele, UT | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joey Madden
Resident

Member # 1192

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joey Madden   Author's Homepage   Email Joey Madden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The lock assembly is clamped to the steering column by two shear head bolts. Use a punch to make a dimple in the head of each bolt, then drill the head off the bolt, separate the clamp and remove from steering column

--------------------
HotLines Joey Madden - pinstriping since 1952
'Perfection, its what I look for and what I live for'

http://members.tripod.com/Inflite
http://www.pinheadlounge.com/hotlinesjoeymadden

Posts: 5962 | From: USA | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joe Golden
Visitor
Member # 6870

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joe Golden   Email Joe Golden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is the ignition switch a two piece switch, maybe too late for that, but alot of manufacturers have an electrical portion of the switch, and a mechanical portion of the switch. The mechanical portion rarely fails, and if it does, yoru key just gets loose, or it binds, but when the electrical portion fails, vehicle wont run, lights wont work, radio wont play etc etc etc.

But, stop!!!!!!!, if it does not fit, do not grind clearance, you either have the wrong part or a step has been missed.

Did you have to remove the steering wheel to remove the old part, if you did not, and you dont have an air bag, remove the steering wheel and you should find a way to seperate the housing so the replacement switch will fit in. If there is an airbag, I would strongly urge you to seek a repair facility that may have the ability to dis-arm the SRS system and rest it once the swithc is replaced, other wise your SRS light could remain lit or worse, you could see first hand the effects of a deployed are big, and that could hurt if you have a wrench in your hand when it goes off.

Hope this helps.

--------------------
Sharing the WORD one sign at a time!!
Joe Golden
Signage
721 Oak ST, Madisonville KY, 42431
270-871-0454

Posts: 270 | From: Madisonville, Kentucky | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
old paint
Visitor
Member # 549

Icon 1 posted      Profile for old paint   Email old paint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
in most cases of what you seem to be having a problem with...IS NOT IN THE KEY ASSY. follow the wires fron the key switch....and you will find another "electrical key switch" wher all the wires come into....this is what is usually replaced.

--------------------
joe pribish-A SIGN MINT
2811 longleaf Dr.
pensacola, fl 32526
850-637-1519
BEWARE THE TRUTH.....YOU MAY NOT LIKE WHAT YOU FIND

Posts: 11582 | From: pensacola, fl. usa | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Russ McMullin
Resident

Member # 5617

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Russ McMullin   Author's Homepage   Email Russ McMullin       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm not replacing the key assembly. It's the electrical part. The part I bought is identical to the one I removed. The steering wheel doesn't need removing. It wouldn't do any good. There no possible way to remove the old part, or install the new one without making the notch I was planning, or to do what Joey suggested. I guess I would then replace those bolts with regular hex head bolts?

--------------------
Russ McMullin
Tooele, UT
www.mcmullincreative.com

My mind wanders. And that's not a good thing, 'cause it's too small to be out there alone.

Posts: 3129 | From: Tooele, UT | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Shirk
Visitor
Member # 106

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Shirk   Email Dave Shirk       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Russ, I've got a deal with my friendly local Mechanic.
He doesn't make signs, and I don't fix cars.
But, I know you just had to tackle this.

--------------------
Dave Shirk
Fitting Finishes Signs & Embroidery
78 Apache Trail
South Fork, CO 81154

Posts: 16 | From: South Fork, Colorado, USA | Registered: Dec 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jillbeans
Resident

Member # 1912

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jillbeans   Author's Homepage   Email Jillbeans   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Russ, I'm with Dave...take it to a trusty garage.
I remember trying to fix an ignition control module once...most parts stores don't take returns on electronics if you have the wrong thing or it wasn't what you needed.
Love....Jill

Posts: 8834 | From: Butler, PA, USA | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Checkers
Resident

Member # 63

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Checkers   Author's Homepage   Email Checkers   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hiya Russ,
I'm with Jill and Dave too. But finding a trustworthy mechanic is getting more difficult to find these days. [Frown]
However, if you're feeling adventuresome, check these out...
http://www.chiltonsonline.com/totalcare.aspx
http://www.chiltondiy.com/
Your local library may have hard copies too.

Havin' fun,

Checkers

--------------------
a.k.a. Brian Born
www.CheckersCustom.com
Harrisburg, Pa
Work Smart, Play Hard

Posts: 3775 | From: Harrisburg, Pa. U.S.A. | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joey Madden
Resident

Member # 1192

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joey Madden   Author's Homepage   Email Joey Madden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Russ, glad you made the correct decision as this was taken from a Honda mechanic I spoke with on your behalf.

--------------------
HotLines Joey Madden - pinstriping since 1952
'Perfection, its what I look for and what I live for'

http://members.tripod.com/Inflite
http://www.pinheadlounge.com/hotlinesjoeymadden

Posts: 5962 | From: USA | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Curtis hammond
Visitor
Member # 2170

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Curtis hammond   Email Curtis hammond   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
POP Rivets

--------------------
Leaper of Tall buildings.. If you find my posts divisive or otherwise snarky please ignore them. If you do not know how then PM me about it and I will demonstrate.

Posts: 5274 | From: Im a nowhere man | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Don Hulsey
Resident

Member # 128

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Don Hulsey   Email Don Hulsey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Joey has done told ya the right way. You might be able to figure out a few others, but wouldn't it be easier to just go ahead and do it right now that you know how?

--------------------
Don Hulsey
Strokes by DON signs
Utica, KY
270-275-9552
sbdsigns@aol.com

I've always been crazy... but it's kept me from going insane.

Posts: 2275 | From: Utica, KY U.S.A. | Registered: Jan 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ray Rheaume
Resident

Member # 3794

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ray Rheaume   Email Ray Rheaume   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have no idea how to fix it, but any 12 year old car giving me that much grief would be headed to the dealer for a trade in.

Just a thought...
[Wink]
Rapid

--------------------
Ray Rheaume
Rapidfire Design
543 Brushwood Road
North Haverhill, NH 03774
rapidfiredesign@hotmail.com
603-787-6803

I like my paint shaken, not stirred.

Posts: 5648 | From: North Haverhill, New Hampshire | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Russ McMullin
Resident

Member # 5617

Well, after $41.20 out of pocket for the part, and a couple of hours keeping my temper under contol...IT WORKS! I couldn't get the angle on the drill bit to remove the bolts, and I didn't want to tear apart the dash to get it out of the way. I ended up using my dremel to shave down the edge (1/16"x3/4") of some heavy-guage stamped steel. There was just enough room to wrestle the switch into place. There is plenty of metal left (about 4") so I'm not worried about that.

Ray, if I had money, I tell you what I'd do. I'd go downtown and buy a...new car...or two. So, I agree with your advice, but I can't follow it. [Smile]

--------------------
Russ McMullin
Tooele, UT
www.mcmullincreative.com

Dusty Campbell
Visitor
Member # 4601

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dusty Campbell   Email Dusty Campbell       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm right there with you Russ. I had to change my alternator on my Econoline. I tried every way you could turn that $&*! thing to get it out, sooo I got out the old reciprocating saw. Made things much easier.

Bend to fit. Paint to match.

Glad you got her going.

Edited to add: I didn't need the whole battery tray did I?

[ April 17, 2007, 10:43 PM: Message edited by: Dusty Campbell ]

--------------------
Industrious

Posts: 1032 | From: Athens, GA | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jack wills
Resident

Member # 521

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jack wills   Email jack wills   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dusty,

Yuu Da mann, man.......!

CrazyJack

--------------------
Jack Wills
Studio Design Works
1465 E.Hidalgo Circle
Nye Beach / Newport, OR

Posts: 2914 | From: Rocklin, CA. USA | Registered: Dec 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
old paint
Visitor
Member # 549

Icon 1 posted      Profile for old paint   Email old paint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ECONOLINE????????????????damn man that thing is older n you!!!!! 144 c.i.???? cant kill that engine, but aint got enough power to pull itself off a pee pot.

--------------------
joe pribish-A SIGN MINT
2811 longleaf Dr.
pensacola, fl 32526
850-637-1519
BEWARE THE TRUTH.....YOU MAY NOT LIKE WHAT YOU FIND

Posts: 11582 | From: pensacola, fl. usa | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Harris Kohen
Visitor
Member # 2139

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Harris Kohen   Email Harris Kohen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Gawd I'm glad my full time job is as a mechanic. I can make a decent sign too [Wink]

PS: Russ to me that would have been a simple job, but on the other hand vectorizing to me is a project. Oh well.

--------------------
Harris Kohen
K-Man Pinstriping
and Graphix
Trenton, NJ
"Showing the world that even
I can strategically place the
pigment where its got to
go."

Posts: 1739 | From: Trenton, NJ, USA | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!