Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » Need advice - Installing a banner on a Dryvit wall

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Need advice - Installing a banner on a Dryvit wall
David Schulz
Visitor
Member # 6931

Icon 1 posted      Profile for David Schulz   Email David Schulz       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Anybody got any miracle cures, we seem to run into this atleast once a year and this time it is for major corporation's home office on their 75th anniversary. I have no idea what is behind the foam and it needs to stay up for a solid year. The banner is 4'x 20' and we have really bad winds here. Does that sound like a recipe for disaster?

--------------------
David
The Sign Factory
Roanoke, Virginia

Posts: 19 | From: Roanoke, VA | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mike meyer
Visitor
Member # 542

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mike meyer   Author's Homepage   Email mike meyer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
is there any seams that you can see? I would go to a Banner website and see what they advise....Creative Banner assembles out of Minnesota put a huge banner on the roof of a Dome Stadium in Arizona..they should have a clue...
www.creativebanner.com

--------------------
Mike Meyer Sign Painter
189 1st Ave n P.O. Box 3
Mazeppa, Mn 55956

We are not selling, we are staying here in Mazeppa....we cannot re-create what we have here....not in another lifetime! SO Here we are!!!!!!!

www.mikemeyersigns.com

Posts: 3617 | From: Mazeppa, Mn usa | Registered: Feb 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bill Lynch
Resident

Member # 3815

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bill Lynch   Email Bill Lynch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We have used toggle bolts with a big washer (sometimes shopmade from PVC) on the wall then the banner then another on the grommet. And we use a lot of them. When the banner comes down we fill the holes with a colored chaulk as close to buiding color as possible.
I hate drivit.

--------------------
Bill Lynch
Century Sign
Hamden, CT
centurysign@snet.net

Posts: 1125 | From: Hamden, CT | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Checkers
Resident

Member # 63

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Checkers   Author's Homepage   Email Checkers   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's a tough call David. It all depends on what's behind the Dryvit and how well you can anchor to it. Maybe the client can provide you with some details or history on the building?
When I worked at a shop that installed awnings, we would carry just about every type of fastener hardware imaginable - lag & toggle bolts, lead anchors and even 6" deck screws. We've also run into just about every surface or combination of surfaces imaginable too - plywood, all types of brick, cinder block, cast concrete, steel and even covered up windows.

Havin' fun,

Checkers

--------------------
a.k.a. Brian Born
www.CheckersCustom.com
Harrisburg, Pa
Work Smart, Play Hard

Posts: 3775 | From: Harrisburg, Pa. U.S.A. | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Draper
Visitor
Member # 102

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Draper   Email Dave Draper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I love Drivit! Sorry Bill! [Smile]

Behind Drivit is insulation foam. Sometimes they use this yellow QR board. It wont hold a screw or an anchor very well.

However, there should be steel 2x4s or 2x6s behind the foam that you can drill into. A really strong magnet might help you locate them...just a guess.
The QR board is only 3/4 to 1 inch thick

It will be really hard, if not impossible, to locate the studs by looking, as the seams in the foam have been rasped, filled with cement base coat then covered with a thick fiberglass mesh and more cement coat, sanded, any rough areas re-base coated, then finished with the acrylic textured finish. Those guys pride themselves on a no flaw surface...at least the true craftsmen do. (that would be the illegal aliens) hahahahahaah!

Hope this helps. [Smile]

I want to re-clad my whole house in Drivit! [Smile] I can do it now! [Smile]

[ April 02, 2007, 06:23 PM: Message edited by: Dave Draper ]

--------------------
Draper The Signmaker / Monumental Designs
http://www.monumentaldesigns.com

Posts: 2883 | From: Bloomington Illinois USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mike meyer
Visitor
Member # 542

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mike meyer   Author's Homepage   Email mike meyer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Draper, I bet the city of Bloomington has laws against houses that look like a Zebra.

--------------------
Mike Meyer Sign Painter
189 1st Ave n P.O. Box 3
Mazeppa, Mn 55956

We are not selling, we are staying here in Mazeppa....we cannot re-create what we have here....not in another lifetime! SO Here we are!!!!!!!

www.mikemeyersigns.com

Posts: 3617 | From: Mazeppa, Mn usa | Registered: Feb 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Monte Jumper
Resident

Member # 1106

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Monte Jumper   Email Monte Jumper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sounds like a hassle I know but try this...

Make a mounting pattern of the grommet holes ...place it where the banner goes.

Drill your holes (1/4" dia.) and inject Gorilla glue...then shove in a blue plastic anchor...the glue foams up and adheres to the foam under the dryvit and oozes into the blue plug...you may need to trim some foam off the front of the wall after it has cured... no problem (use a sharp wood chisel).

Ok ...go away and leave this til tomorrow.

Come back the following day and mount banner with fender washers and # 10 screws.

Only snug the screws up to the wall...it is still possible to overdrive the scews and tear the whole thing out...but they will hold well if you just snug'em (by hand preferably)..

[ April 03, 2007, 08:17 AM: Message edited by: Monte Jumper ]

--------------------
"Werks fer me...it'll werk fer you"

Monte Jumper
SIGNLanguage/Norman.Okla.
jumpers@itlnet.net

Posts: 3185 | From: Norman,Okla.U.S.A. | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
David Schulz
Visitor
Member # 6931

Icon 1 posted      Profile for David Schulz   Email David Schulz       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Those are some great ideas guys! I think I'm going to head into it with Monte's idea (smallest holes) and see what's behind it and if needed drop back and punt.

Having this much wisdom and experience available at my finger tips helps me actually sleep at night. Thank you guys so much for the advice.

Dave

--------------------
David
The Sign Factory
Roanoke, Virginia

Posts: 19 | From: Roanoke, VA | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ricky Jackson
Visitor
Member # 5082

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ricky Jackson   Email Ricky Jackson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't care how you do it; if the wind blows hard it will pull out. Just warn your client that it's not your fault if it does. C Y O A.

--------------------
Ricky Jackson
Signs Now
614 Russell Parkway
Warner Robins, GA
(478) 923-7722
signpimp50@hotmail.com

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Sir Issac Newton

Posts: 3528 | From: Warner Robins, GA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Draper
Visitor
Member # 102

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Draper   Email Dave Draper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
David S. Be careful! If you lean an extension ladder up against the Drivit clad building, you will
dent the surface everywhere the ladder contacts the wall.

Just a heads up! Ask me how I know! On second thought, No! don't ask!

It Wasn't a good day!

--------------------
Draper The Signmaker / Monumental Designs
http://www.monumentaldesigns.com

Posts: 2883 | From: Bloomington Illinois USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bruce ward
Visitor
Member # 1289

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bruce ward   Author's Homepage   Email bruce ward   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
large washers and about 3.5"-4" screws. that is all you need

--------------------
You ever notice how easily accessible people are when they are requiring your services but once they get invoice you can't reach them anymore

http://www.visual-images-signs.com/#!

VISUAL IMAGES
MONTGOMERY, AL

Posts: 2033 | From: Montgomery, AL, usa | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tom Giampia
Resident

Member # 2007

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tom Giampia   Author's Homepage   Email Tom Giampia       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
First thing that I would do is use a mesh banner to reduce the wind effects.

You could also use either aluminum tube or even wood 2x4's to make a frame that you attach with toggles and also hit the studs.

This will disperse the stress across the entire legnth.

Good Luck!

--------------------
Tom & Sharon Giampia
Creative Image Design
Port Chester, NY

Posts: 285 | From: Port Chester | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dana Stanley
Visitor
Member # 6786

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dana Stanley   Author's Homepage   Email Dana Stanley       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A good stud finder is about $20.00 and should work well through the drivit. You may get lucky and find all plywood underneath. They do that a lot around here.
If you don't locate studs then toggles are a good idea even with plywood. If you didn't make the banner yet you may want to see if they will upgrade to dibond it wont be as much of a sail like the banner will after it loosens up.

--------------------
Dana Stanley
Mass.
(508) 234-8193
http://stanleyphotographer.com

Posts: 805 | From: Whitinsville,Mass USA | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
David Schulz
Visitor
Member # 6931

Just thought I'd give an update. I thought I was out of the woods on this project when the company called and said that their building maintenance manager would be responsible for installing the banner, whew . . .now it's your problem buddy. Well, I volunteered to give him a hand and I'm glad I did, his idea was I-bolts directly into the foam wall and hang the banner from carabiners. I played along for about 10 minutes, then pulled plan B from my bag:
http://www.constructionresources.net/eztfastner.htm
I found these while looking for the blue plastic anchors and thought I'd try them. These things worked great, they only use a 1/4" hole and are rated to 75 lbs. each. I popped one in and it only caught the fiberglass skin on the dryvit, but as I started cranking it down it really dug in. One held a 4' x 20' banner up by the middle grommet in the wind for a good 10 minutes while we repositioned the ladders, so having one every 2 feet top and bottom . . . it's not going anywhere. I did double nut them to keep them from wiggling loose. I addition we didn't destroy the facade of the building so when we take it down there won't be any explaining to do. I'll post some pics when I get some. Thanks for all the ideas guys, you made me look like I knew what I was doing!

[ April 28, 2007, 10:24 PM: Message edited by: David Schulz ]

--------------------
David
The Sign Factory
Roanoke, Virginia

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!