Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » Split blended Shade

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Split blended Shade
Alicia B. Jennings
Resident

Member # 1272

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Alicia B. Jennings   Email Alicia B. Jennings   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey, in the Goldleaf book by Raymond LeBlanc, on page 60, there is a picture of a split shade done by Mark Oatis. It reads that it is done by first using "Transparent Colors".What do they mean by that. I'm gonna be doing a gold job on my office door. I want to do a split shade mumbo, jumbo, super deluxe, gold leaf job on it.

--------------------
Signs by Alicia Jennings (Mudflap Girl)
Tacoma, WA
Since 1987
Have Lipstick, will travel.

Posts: 3814 | From: Tacoma, WA. U.S.A. | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Russ McMullin
Resident

Member # 5617

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Russ McMullin   Author's Homepage   Email Russ McMullin       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We did a split shade at Noel Weber's workshop last fall. I can't remember what type of paint was used for the transparent colors, but it was put down in a thin glaze - both colors side by side on the extruded shadow part of the letter. It was important to do it in one step. If you tried to go back and fix the glaze it would end up looking worse.

Once the transparent glazes of color were laid down and dry, we came back over it with opaque paint - can't find my notes to remind me what kind. We had a white, middle gray, and black to make the blends on top of the transparent color.

When it was completed, the transparent glazes determined the color, and the opaque blending determined the lights and darks. Mine looked terrible, but it was fun. [Smile]

Here is the front:
 -

Here is the back:
 -

--------------------
Russ McMullin
Tooele, UT
www.mcmullincreative.com

My mind wanders. And that's not a good thing, 'cause it's too small to be out there alone.

Posts: 3129 | From: Tooele, UT | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alicia B. Jennings
Resident

Member # 1272

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Alicia B. Jennings   Email Alicia B. Jennings   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Das it! Das it!! Como se do it? Nice "B". Is that a matte center or paint?

--------------------
Signs by Alicia Jennings (Mudflap Girl)
Tacoma, WA
Since 1987
Have Lipstick, will travel.

Posts: 3814 | From: Tacoma, WA. U.S.A. | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tracie Johnson
Visitor
Member # 6117

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tracie Johnson   Author's Homepage   Email Tracie Johnson       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Alicia B. Jennings:
Como se do it?

That's cute! [Wink]

--------------------
Tracie Johnson
Signovations
Ventura, California

Posts: 444 | From: Ventura, California | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Sharrard
Resident

Member # 388

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Sharrard   Email Robin Sharrard   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Alicia, Most folks use Japans or Artists oils. If you go to Larry Whites web site www.walljewelry.com He has a full tutorial on the process. I tcan't remeber if it is seperate or part of the memorial piece he did for Rick Glawson. Nice job Russ! ...Robin

Note: If you do a search on Split Blending over at the "Green Board" www.theletterheads.com there is like 3 0r 4 pages of data. Have to go to the NEW HAND LETTERING FORUM

[ March 31, 2007, 12:28 AM: Message edited by: Robin Sharrard ]

--------------------
Robin Sharrard
Sharrard Graphics & Sign
Fallon, Nevada
rds@phonewave.net
"Proud $$$ Supporter"

Posts: 282 | From: Fallon, Nevda, USA | Registered: Feb 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
W. R. Pickett
Visitor
Member # 3842

Icon 1 posted      Profile for W. R. Pickett   Email W. R. Pickett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
...One Shot makes some nice transparent colors. This trick is for someone who can brush the paint on accurately w. ONE STROKE. Overworking (transparent paint) it will ruin the look.

--------------------
WR Pickett
Richmond, Va.

Posts: 1955 | From: Richmond, Va. | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Russ McMullin
Resident

Member # 5617

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Russ McMullin   Author's Homepage   Email Russ McMullin       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The center is blended 1shot. We used little pieces of damp sponge for the blending, and I'm pretty sure smiths cream was added to extend the working time. I used to be afraid of the blends, but they aren't too bad.

--------------------
Russ McMullin
Tooele, UT
www.mcmullincreative.com

My mind wanders. And that's not a good thing, 'cause it's too small to be out there alone.

Posts: 3129 | From: Tooele, UT | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cam Bortz
Visitor
Member # 55

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cam Bortz   Email Cam Bortz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Alicia, you can use One-shot tinting clear, or any clear oil-base varnish, including gold size, to make transparent glaze with any color - a little practice helps to get used to working with it.

--------------------
"A wise man concerns himself with the truth, not with what people believe." - Aristotle

Cam Bortz
Finest Kind Signs
Pondside Iron works
256 S. Broad St.
Pawcatuck, Ct. 06379
"Award winning Signs since 1988"

Posts: 3051 | From: Pawcatuck,Connecticut USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!