Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » Newbie introduction

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Newbie introduction
Rich Hawthorne
Visitor
Member # 7483

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rich Hawthorne     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi folks: I'm new to the Letterheads so I want to introduce myself. Unlike most of you, I am not a sign maker. Rather, I am a cold glass artist. For several years I collected stained glass, then I began to repair it and that led to some restoration work. After a while I started making my own pieces. Then I discovered sandblasting and just love it. Last year I began airbrush painting my blasted glass and using the result as a design element in my stained glass. I'm really excited to learn more techniques and in a short discussion with Noel Weber (Boise) decided to get involved with the Letterheads as a way to learn more.

I currently do a few art shows/fairs and enjoy the interaction with people interested in my work. I know I will learn a lot here from all of you. Please just have patience with this newbie.

Best regards,

--------------------
Rich Hawthorne
Clearview Artworks
Portland, Oregon USA

Posts: 6 | From: Portland, Oregon USA | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Theresa Hoying
Visitor
Member # 7330

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Theresa Hoying   Email Theresa Hoying       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hiya Rich! Welcome to the board. I would love to see some of your work.

Take care!
T

--------------------
Theresa N. Hoying
Visual Concepts
130 South Lester Avenue
Sidney, Ohio 45365

Posts: 176 | From: Sidney, Ohio | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Jantz
Resident

Member # 6137

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jon Jantz   Author's Homepage   Email Jon Jantz       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome to Letterville, Rich!

--------------------
Jon Jantz
Snappysign.com
jjantz21@gmail.com
http://www.allcw.com

Posts: 3395 | From: Atmore, AL | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Arthur Vanson
Deceased

Member # 2855

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Arthur Vanson   Author's Homepage   Email Arthur Vanson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello Rich, I used to do some cold glass painting a few years ago but became a bit disillusioned when the manufacturers of the transparent paint confirmed that fading would probably be a serious issue.
Have they managed to make the dyes more durable, do you know?

--------------------
Arthur Vanson
Bucks Signs
Chesham, Buckinghamshire,
England
arthur@buckssigns.co.uk
--------------------

Posts: 805 | From: Chesham, Bucks, England | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Laura Butler
Visitor
Member # 1830

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Laura Butler   Email Laura Butler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Do you have a website? You really need to talk to Sarah King also.

--------------------
Laura Butler
Vision Graphics & Sign
4479 Welch Rd
Attica, Mi 48412

Posts: 2855 | From: Attica, Mi, USA | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rich Hawthorne
Visitor
Member # 7483

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rich Hawthorne     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Theresa Hoying:
Hiya Rich! Welcome to the board. I would love to see some of your work.

Take care!
T

I don't have a web site but post pictures of work here

Best wishes and than you for your interest.

--------------------
Rich Hawthorne
Clearview Artworks
Portland, Oregon USA

Posts: 6 | From: Portland, Oregon USA | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rich Hawthorne
Visitor
Member # 7483

quote:
Originally posted by Arthur Vanson:
Hello Rich, I used to do some cold glass painting a few years ago but became a bit disillusioned when the manufacturers of the transparent paint confirmed that fading would probably be a serious issue.
Have they managed to make the dyes more durable, do you know?

I was concerned about this as well because I did not want to fire the glass in order to set the paint (no kiln and it takes me into warm glass). I tested a lot of different paints and ended up using one-shot paint. I find that I can reduce it with low temp reducer without pigment loss and it approaches transparency. With the airbrush, I can put light coats on the blasted glass and it resembles stained glass. As for fading, I have not had any of it around long enough to find out so here's hoping that is not going to be a big problem.

--------------------
Rich Hawthorne
Clearview Artworks
Portland, Oregon USA

Joe Crumley
Visitor
Member # 2307

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joe Crumley   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome aboard Rich. Pull up a chair and join in.

--------------------
Joe Crumley
Norman Sign Company
2200 Research Park Blvd.
Norman, OK

Posts: 1428 | From: 2200 Research Park Blvd. | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Judy Pate
Resident

Member # 237

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Judy Pate   Email Judy Pate   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome to Letterville Rich!
Judy

--------------------
Judy Pate
Signs By Judy
Albany, Georgia USA
229-435-6824

Live simply...Love generously...Care deeply...Speak kindly...Leave the rest to God.

Posts: 2621 | From: Albany,GA,USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bruce Bowers
Resident

Member # 892

Icon 10 posted      Profile for Bruce Bowers   Email Bruce Bowers   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome!

I like your work. It is interesting to see another craftsman's work. Well done!

--------------------
Bruce Bowers

DrCAS Custom Lettering and Design
Saint Cloud, Minnesota

"Things work out best for the people who make the best of the way things work out." - Art Linkletter

Posts: 6451 | From: Saint Cloud, Minnesota | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rene Giroux
Resident

Member # 4980

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rene Giroux   Author's Homepage   Email Rene Giroux   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
welcome aboard and show some pics of your stuff [Cool]

--------------------
Rene Giroux
Perfexion.ca
Gatineau, QC.

www.renegiroux.com

I'd rather regret things I did than things I didn't do!

Posts: 1875 | From: Gatineau, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Shirk
Visitor
Member # 106

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Shirk   Email Dave Shirk       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome to LetterVille Rich, I like your work and I'm sure you can contribute some knowledge here as well as learn some tricks like the rest of us.
All my best!

--------------------
Dave Shirk
Fitting Finishes Signs & Embroidery
78 Apache Trail
South Fork, CO 81154

Posts: 16 | From: South Fork, Colorado, USA | Registered: Dec 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!