Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » It's time to move on...........

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: It's time to move on...........
Bryan Quebodeaux
Visitor
Member # 48

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bryan Quebodeaux   Author's Homepage   Email Bryan Quebodeaux   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been using Gerber hardware and software for the past 9 years. I really appreciate the service my equipment has provided. I own 2 Edge printers and now feel it's time for a larger format printer/plotter rig to continue on. Panneling large jobs is not appealing anymore (it never was). I have an Epson 9600, but just can't offer the prints for extended use. I am looking for advice on what unit to go with. I kinda looked at the VersaCamm 54" and heard a little about Miamaki printers. I plan on keeping one of my Edge printers. I can't totaly abandon a machine that prints money. Any advice/guidance would be greatly appreciated!

--------------------
Edge-LE & FX ,VersaCamm SP-540, Epson 9600, Envision 375, Sabre 408, OmegaCP 2.02, Adobe CS2,

Bryan Quebodeaux
DeSign Works
Church Point, LA
337-684-6058
bryanq@designworks1.com
www.designworks1.com
http://www.myspace.com/design_works

Posts: 167 | From: Church Point, La. | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tom & Kathy Durham
Resident

Member # 776

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tom & Kathy Durham   Email Tom & Kathy Durham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We have had the Mimaki JV3 for about a year now and love it. Haven't gotton much tech help but then really haven't needed much. It's pretty much a no brainer to print. Quality seems good and no breakdowns. Like Gerber, I think Mimaki cost more, but a work horse.

--------------------
Tom & Kathy Durham
House Springs, MO

Posts: 654 | From: House Springs, MO | Registered: Apr 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavis
Resident

Member # 6133

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TomDavis   Author's Homepage   Email TomDavis       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well here we have a Mutoh Falcon (would not recommend for a big production machine) Worked well until the shop production (speed)and consistant color was a BIG requirement. So, having looked around for about a year.... we have a new HP 9000s on order, for the big stuff and color gamet is much better. We also have a IPF 8000 coming in for the fine art work we do. My vendor printed a vehicle wrap for me off the 9000 and it was very nice and FAST, for the price.

--------------------
Tom Davis
Hilltop Graphics
41665 Fenwick Street
Leonardtown, MD 20650

Posts: 39 | From: MD | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Doug Allan
Resident

Member # 2247

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Doug Allan   Author's Homepage   Email Doug Allan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
happy mimaki owner here. More cleaning maintenance then versacam, but more value IMO, so no regrets.

--------------------
Doug Allan
http://www.islandsign.com

"you get what you settle for"

Posts: 8981 | From: Kahului, HI, USA | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bryan Quebodeaux
Visitor
Member # 48

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bryan Quebodeaux   Author's Homepage   Email Bryan Quebodeaux   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would like to say that the printer will be used day after day, in reality, it will be another tool in my shop and I can expect on occasion that there will be times we will not use it for a day or so. Can I expect problems because of that? Do any of you have issues with vapors? If so, what are you doing to make it safe for you and your employees? I have an area that is about 25'x35' that is populated with other equipment and employees. Thanks for your input!

--------------------
Edge-LE & FX ,VersaCamm SP-540, Epson 9600, Envision 375, Sabre 408, OmegaCP 2.02, Adobe CS2,

Bryan Quebodeaux
DeSign Works
Church Point, LA
337-684-6058
bryanq@designworks1.com
www.designworks1.com
http://www.myspace.com/design_works

Posts: 167 | From: Church Point, La. | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Draper
Visitor
Member # 102

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Draper   Email Dave Draper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Happy VersaCamm 54" owner here.

Do your research. Its not just the printer, its the support and friendly forums and those you feel comfortable talking to when problems arise. Your buddies can sometimes give you the right answer much quicker than tech support.

Large Format Ink Jets are tricky....much more so than your Gerber Edge. You will have to know and understand how printing profiles work (little programs written to adjust heat and ink flow perfectly matched for the type of media that is being printed on.

Roland has 46 profiles for the VersaCamm, written for Roland's media. Stick OraJet media in the printer and your prints may turn green....Why?

Ink and heat cause ink to cure in odd unpredictable ways on vinyl and banner stock. So, if you use vinyl or banner material that doesn't have a profile written for it, then you'll have to print your job 46 times, each with a different profile, to see which profile best matches. You could get lucky and get it right the first time! [I Don t Know]

VersaCamm is a 4 ink system while the Roland HI-FI Jet Pro is a 12 ink system for speed and fine art printing. I'm not sure if the Sol-Jet (6 ink) is still currently manufactured.

You will want the 54 inch printer and you WILL need a laminator. You will be sorry if you get the 30 inch printer, because those trailer wrap jobs will come your way. The panels on the trailer are 4 foot wide and the thus you will be able to print full sections with no seams. Also you will be able to print 4x8 prints to laminate on a 4x8 sheet of Omega...a seam would be unprofessional looking for many jobs. 30 inch is such an odd size....who ever thought that out?

VersaWorks is an incredible program (when it doesn't lock up)

Oh, you are going to need a new computer ( NO Windows Vista) with a ton of RAM. New computers come so packed with junk it takes most of the ram to run that crap, so you might just want to get one built with a lot of memory to run the printer.

No Vapors, no stink, no fumes [Smile]

[ March 24, 2007, 01:58 PM: Message edited by: Dave Draper ]

--------------------
Draper The Signmaker / Monumental Designs
http://www.monumentaldesigns.com

Posts: 2883 | From: Bloomington Illinois USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Billie DeBekker
Visitor
Member # 3848

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Billie DeBekker   Author's Homepage   Email Billie DeBekker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Fairly Happy Roland User Here. Have a 30 Inch as just couldn't swing the 54 when I was buying. Will be updating to a 54 this year. Hopefully.
We liquid laminate and have had excellent results.

Dave.. Thank Gerber for the 30" Size.. If I remember right they started this whole vinyl thing along with 3m and they had the first plotters 15 and 30 tractor feeds.

--------------------
Billie DeBekker
3rd Dimension Signs
Canon City Colorado 81212
719-276-9338
bill@3dsignco.com
www.3dsignco.com

"Another Fine Graduate of the Ray Charles School of Sign Painting."

Posts: 2530 | From: Canon City, Colorado | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathy Lowry
Visitor
Member # 7353

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kathy Lowry   Author's Homepage   Email Kathy Lowry       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bryan, call me or come see me if you're in lafayette anytime soon. I've got a versacamm 540 and LOVE IT LOVE IT LOVE IT!

--------------------
Kathy Lowry
Lowry's Sign Shop
2004-B W. Pinhook Rd.
Lafayette, LA 70508
337-233-4412
signs@lowrysprinting.com

RIP Pvt. Mark Graham, US Army 7/26/1984 - 3/7/2007

Posts: 20 | From: Lafayette, LA | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sue Brown
Visitor
Member # 6677

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sue Brown   Email Sue Brown       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I also am a very happy versacamm 540 owner..
Ive not had any problems with fumes but its in a really open room.. We have not had any problems getting the colors matched and using the profiles.. We bought ours from a local source and the support we have gotten from the saleman is fantastic. To this day. 8-9 months later He always finds time to talk with us.. and help with any questions

I think what ever you get make sure there is someone you can go to for support..

--------------------
sue brown
american instant signs
pasadena, calif

Posts: 90 | From: southern california | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Doug Allan
Resident

Member # 2247

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Doug Allan   Author's Homepage   Email Doug Allan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Mimaki does require venting for the full solvent inks. The printers that don't "require" venting... are dangerous to your health if you don't vent them. I am convinced of that & won't debate it here, but don't let the theory of not needing to vent dsome printers be a big part of your decision... and do your own research before you subject you& your future offsprings braincells to those inks.

I use the "Air Duster 2000" made by Island Clean Air out of Canada. It is a filtration system that I vent my printer to, instead of running fans & ducting through the roof.

--------------------
Doug Allan
http://www.islandsign.com

"you get what you settle for"

Posts: 8981 | From: Kahului, HI, USA | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!